So Yu-Gi-Oh is ripping off other card games directly now?

So Yu-Gi-Oh is ripping off other card games directly now?

By the way, the original kana is 冥帝エレボス which would actually make it literally "Erebos" and not "Erebus".

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erebus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They both came from the same source material.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erebus

Wasn't YGO originally just a magic clone in the manga that they had to change for legal reasons?

im pretty sure that was kijuto (or however you spell it)

>it's impossible for two unrelated people to both change a U to an O
>can read kana but doesn't realize that ボ is the closest thing Japan has to the "bu" sound in Erebus

Yes

More like theyre both ripping off greek mythology. Pic related was featured in Persona 3 FES, which came out in '08

no user, Greek mythology is ripping off Magic!
if that's now the case, then how will we make fun of yugioh and its player base for the heinous crime of NOT being magic!?
seriously though, i shouldn't have to go to Veeky Forums to discuss a card game just because
of magic spergs.

Kaijudo, which was made by WotC anyway

>Yu-Gi-Oh says in a small essay what Magic says in a couple sentences.

Why do they feel the need to do this? Also, public domain monsters are fair game.

yugioh never figured out how keywords work most due to the translation from nip speak to american

My friend I just want you to know rulings for new cards are decided by the head judge of a big event. That's right the fucking OCG and TCG have the same cards with different rules because some judge gets to decide card interactions.

Yugioh is fun but super fucked because konami just wants to print money not a good game.

People bitch about Wotc but holy shit at least they talk to the player base and don't print a $70 card to ban it in 3 weeks.

konami at least reprints stuff and makes the game affordable on average. i could build every single tier one deck in yugioh with a quarter of what a mediocre modern deck costs

>wotc
>talks to their player base

lmao wut? wotc seemingly makes it a point to keep their players in the dark

Fuck Konami for hitting stormforth, And with links inc its never gonna make it off the banlist

>WoTC talking to their playerbase
>When they ignore them to the point where said playerbase begins to kill themselves off
I dunno about you, but standard has been dead for a good long time because WoTC didn't listen to the playerbase until just recently, and even then they fucked up by fucking around with other formats that didn't need fucking around with

>People bitch about Wotc but holy shit at least they talk to the player base and don't print a $70 card to ban it in 3 weeks.
Like how they released a banlist and then decided afterward that Cat was too much and emergency banned it after everyone who thought it was safe from the banlist bought into it?

How would you shorten his effect then, oh card game master?

>How would you shorten his effect then
You can't.

Yugioh suffers from some of the worst mechanical creep as far as card games go, simply because the designers decided the abilities of cards should be more complex and based on uber specific tribes as opposed to having a sense of generality that many Magic cards tend to have. It's why cards exist like that, where they have to spend so much time specifying exactly what kind of card it is it demands for an ability, how it has to come in, and whether or not it targets.

I find that with some cards, while other cards after one read it might as well just say "Pay X: Do Y" even if they are a small novel.

I find this issue worse in the TCG only cards. Spygals make no sense to me and I just don't feel like re-reading them constantly.

Erebus wouldn't be spelled like I'm thinking you'rre thinking it's spelled. the kana is phonetically correct for the greek "erebus" afaik

"while other cards after one read it might as well just say "Pay X: Do Y" even if they are a small novel."

But you can't have that, user

What if it doesn't target? What if it's a condition? what if I miss the timing?

Like just about every other card game, it all comes down to memory after a while.

So for people who are just starting out it looks like a clusterfuck, but if you've been playing the game long enough its not really that complex, much of the wording is just stating a simple effect, or restating an archtype effect.

for example erebus reads Monarch summoning condition, When summoned, pitch 2 monarch spell or traps to the grave yard from your hand or deck to spin an opponents card to the deck (Non Targeting).

If erebus is in the graveyard, discard a monarch spell or trap to add a monarch from the grave to the hand. (once per turn)

overall its not that complex, and overall has less effects than mtg erebus.

do YGO card boxes come with a magnifying lens?
how the fuck do you read that shit? the artwork isn't even good and you yet they squeezed 7 lines of text in half the space of a mtg card.

Funny, I just read a Maro article on a similar principle relating to Suspend and why they OK'd it even though it's a million words and needed to go on commons. Basically what it did was just easy to understand, so once people read it once they were able to compress it. It's probably the same deal, especially for Monarchs in Yugioh

Compared to Konami, WotC is the king of customer service. "Here's a bunch of bullshit about how printing broken combos wasn't our fault" isn't good, but it's better than radio silence and bans without even an attempt at providing a reason.

The damning thing with all that however is all the card text you have to sift through just to get that, and even when memory kicks in you still might hit a lapse somewhere and forget one or two specific details that have to suddenly be reread because you couldn't remember what sort of restrictions existed.

And even if muscle memory kicks in and you know exactly what you can and can't look for, what about your opponent?

Well that is on them.

Its really depends on context, but for example the OP card is basically just toucan summon it easier with another big dude, etb trigger to shuffle away anything anywhere and mill 2, and you can pitch a a card to bring him back. A player doesnt need to know all the finer rules interactions to play most cards in most card games. It is a lot of text but once you read it once you can pretty easily shortcut it mentally because the words are mostly just rules jargon that the specifics of dont matter much. Even more if you know what monarchs are about in the first place. I do think it requures a familiarity of the game in general to not just be overwhelmed by all the words but what it actually does is not really hard to understand is all Im saying.

I still remember using him and other Monarch cards as an engine in Shiranui. Zombie, let me use Pantheism, Tenacity and The Prime Monarch. It could brick at times, but it was a fun deck.

That's because wotc speaks English. Konami is a Japanese video game company first and a Japanese card company as a distant second. Americans don't even register.