There's so much Game Master advice yet so little Player advice

There's so much Game Master advice yet so little Player advice.

What are tips, tricks, or advice you have to give for playing RPGs, Veeky Forums? You may be general but you may also be specific to a game.

Other urls found in this thread:

lookrobot.co.uk/2013/06/20/11-ways-to-be-a-better-roleplayer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There's a lot of advice on how to play specific systems. Like what race to combine with what class.
There isn't much talk about how exactly to be a player.
Kantian ethics are awesome for table top games, in terms of player behavior

Don't be a dick, and remember that other players would like some of the limelight too.

Actually put though into your characters.

I make it a point to create at least two dozen NPCs they know or are related to.

I give them multiple goals, fears, desires, and beliefs.

But I also keep it mostly to myself unless the GM asks for it. No need to drown them in pages of character info.

Also, be active in your games. Nothing is more annoying that a player who never acts independently. Be your own stick and carrot.

Show that you're interested in playing. If you're not gonna be invested in the game, you may as well not even show up. You're only gonna subtract from everyone else's experience and spoil the fun

Damn it you beat me to it.

Also take notes and give a

Give a what? GIVE A WHAT user?

Put your phone away.

As a GM; in a bid to avoid rail-roading, I give players space, which tends to mean I'm forced to wait until players say a few very specific things, which I don't want to prompt. If as a player you could keep these in mind, I would be unbelievably grateful. Such as;

>I loot the body
>Alright, next room, let's head to... A1!
>And after giving my speech, I roll Diplomacy.
>Hmm. Are there any Knowledges which would be relevant here?
>Alright guys, after thinking about it, I say we go with option X. What do you think?

it was my first time playing the other day and I think I was being a bit door prompting 5 skeletons to attack and ran off to let the party deal with it while I berate my tomato slave who I was using to write novels

If you have this really cool or funny gimmick you want to base your character around, like being the comic relief guy, punch yourself in the face then learn how to make a character.

It's funny the first one or two times then people start debating how much of a fit you'd throw if they asked your character to leave or just killed you depending on the party make up.

Don't be a dick.
Put in the effort.
Share the limelight.
Ask questions.
Fun is shared by the table. Put the table ahead of yourself.

Bring snacks. The DM is DMing and the host is hosting. If you aren't one of those your job is to bring snacks.

Speak up, motherfucker.

#1 rule - don't flake. Show up every week. If you can't, let someone know right away - waiting around to start the game and then finding out the person you're waiting for bailed is the most maddening experience.

Also, write down names for NPCs and locations. Your GM did you the courtesy of coming up with them, the least you can do is remember what they said.

Everything of the above, and particularly those
But as a Forever DM, I have some:

>shower before the game
>be on time
>stick your phone up the ass
>learn the system, whatever it may be
>pay attention
>be invested
>please participate, we are all friends here
>bring the needed materials
>don't be lazy
>work with the DM to build a nice character
>play the story not the game
>don't always hog the spotlight
>be supportive of less extroverted players
>kill your internal introvert, we are all playing pretend, go crazy
>leave your dick/pussy at home
>solve non-game problems outside game time, preferably before the session
>try to be mature
>don't bring drugs without asking your DM first, and them the other players
>be ALWAYS polite
>try to keep yourself in character
>describe your actions, follow the DM inputs and that will be easy

>leave your dick at home

I dunno, maybe it's my DMs repressed sexuality, or a flirt thing I'm not getting, but my character's have all had romantic subplots. I don't mind, I love a good love story, but it's happened like 3 times in a row now.

Player advice

1. Don't be a dick.
2. GM is there to have fun. Just because he is running the game doesn't mean he is there solely to provide fun for you and only for you.
3. GM is not railroading you. You are playing rpgs with a certain goal in mind. GM is giving you that goal. That doesn't mean you need to follow it every step of the way but you should go in that direction and make your own solution at the end. (At two occasions I players do what they want. With everything they wanted I gave them feedback but I didn't provide info beyond what they required. They didn't know how to proceed further down the line.)
4. Don't make extremely detailed, special snowflake backstories. Make a bare minimum. You will be surprised how fleshed out your character will be in 2-3 sessions. It can even surprise you how different it is from your original idea.
5. D&D is not a holy bible. GM is running the game. He chooses what system he will run. by not playing D&D and classical murderhobos you actually have the chance to explore different settings, themes and ideas. Don't scoff at the possibility to leave "kill things and take their stuff".

Rule 0: never play online
Rule 1: don't be chaotic or evil characters
Rule 2: ruin the fun of murder hobo and min max players as much as possible

The rest has been covered by others

If you want something special to happen for your character and the DM offers to do a short solo session with you, bring mouth wash.

One thing to remember is that just because you had a bad experience with a system with one group, doesn't mean you will with another.

Sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex sex

What should I do if my character is the only one moving things along and the GM is frustrated because the last two sessions I said I was going to play moser passive to give the other players more time to shine and now the other players are upset beciad enothing has happened. Our characters have been sitting in a coffee shop watching the people walk by on the sidewalk for two seesions now instead of getting on with anything.

TheGm and the other just say to go back to what I had been doing, but I'm getting kind of sick of being the only player putting effort and creative input into things.

TAKE NOTES

This are enough for me
>Try to get in character
>Pay attention
>dont start ooc conversations that are not >about the game
>Dont be a rule lawyer
>Dont fuck with other players gf, happened recently

Be able to describe your character. There's plenty of short questionnaires online that will help you flesh out your character and in the long run it'll help you and your GM out.

Have any examples?

Be willing to step out of the room if the party gets split up.
>Don't split the party!
This is only true in a straight dungeon crawl. It's practically required for a good narrative campaign.

In that vein of though, don't bring memes or outside ideas into the game. This applies to philosophy and speculative thought especially.
Unless you're playing a modern-day character, bringing up Plato to argue something in Shadowrun is just troublesome for everyone.

Leave ethics debates for the post-game and focus on making character decisions in-game.

I usually don't like flirtation from outside the table going in game, but if it is a story point and the involved avoid being cringey, it is allowed.

Honest advice? Go find another table, really. But avoiding that, talk with the group and say that this kind of arrangement is not fun and you would feel better if people took a more proactive approach to the game.

But really, start looking for another table, those guys look like they don't know AND don't want to play.

I liked unknown armies rage fear and noble stimuli so much that i use it for any system.

basically every character has something that makes them furious(violence against children for example) something that they fear(going back to prison perhaps) and some way in which they consider themselves to be a good person(a hitman who never kills women or children maybe)

just these little things can do a lot to give your character some, well character.

A full fledged backstory is key to having fun in character. Describe to yourself every important detail of your life.

>rpg
You don't fool me, those are wargames.

Here's a backstory one.

Oh God, THIS!!!

Generally everything listed so far is good advice, except;
>Rule 2: ruin the fun of murder hobo and min max players as much as possible

Which is not the same as letting them be jerks and stab their way through the village. Don't put up with that.

lookrobot.co.uk/2013/06/20/11-ways-to-be-a-better-roleplayer/