How much would the setting your playing or creating right now would change if airships were to be added to it?

How much would the setting your playing or creating right now would change if airships were to be added to it?

Not much because they're already there

>the setting your playing
It's you're, not your.

We already have them though.

Post apoc airships in america? I dig it.

dragons dominate the skies
better pack cannons!

There already are.
My character's sister lives in one.

High level greyhawk?

Not even notice they were added.

>"What manner of inefficient spelljamming vessels are those?"

well its the future. they already have teleportation and actual ships, planes, etc.

so not much desu. that being said, airships are pretty sick and i should throw some more in

Onu-Metru transports.

40k?....not much. iv been thinking about doing a rogue trader planet that uses airships though, like the classic steampunk kind. trying to decide why they are using them though...iv mostly decided that most of the lower altitudes and at sea level are poison to human life/and or major ork tribes.The culture would only be living in various high mountain forts and go between them with airships of various types...some of the forts are friendly and some are not.

Can someone explain to a complete plebeian the differences in B/X, 1e and 2e attacks?

Do they all use thac0?

I've actually been looking for some manner of rule-set for airships. Is there anything good for aerial vehicular combat?

Anything that isn't Gurps?

My game is Sword and Sorcery, so theoretically, that is the direction technology will take. Potentially they might have already existed in some ancient age. The world is really old.

They just added them in

Forgot to mention, it would be for 5e Dungeons and Dragons.

Does anything like this exist?

The setting I'm creating right now already has them, because what kind of shitty setting doesn't have airships. Next you'll be telling me your setting doesn't have tits or beer.

Jokes aside the setting I'm playing in right now doesn't have them, or they're extremely rare and only super rich wizards have them, not sure which. But if they became common, it would probably be the anti-spellcasters halflings who invent them since they have the best technology. That sucks for almost everyone because those little bastards are worse than orcs in this setting. They have a nasty habit of enslaving everyone they meet and using their strong navy to round up people fleeing from them to island safe havens. If they could rain ballista bolts and bombs from the skies we'd probably have to drum up an army to go fuck them up.

My fellow melanin enriched friend!

But they already exist OP! Everyone is using phlebotinum powered jets already.

Although I considered having my PC make a giant perpetually airborne airship base.

I've actually not considered what airships would do to my setting as nothing has really inspired flight yet in spite of the other technological advances, then again it would make since for them to use it for moving goods around considering independent merchants make up a big part of my settings economy (merchants and traders who also double as couriers and move stuff to different villages along their routes). I guess I would have to come up with some out of the way place where airships would make sense to move goods to them.

Mail. Mail is the ideal cargo to ship by air when you're limited by low-tech air solutions. It's relatively low mass and usually time sensitive.

Yeah, I couldn't reasonably deny the existence of planes when cars and trucks are a thing in my setting so I guess I would have to expand the setting or make it where certain modes of travel are very difficult to do.

Then again, one of the main points of my setting is that there is a mountain that is bigger than Everest and part of a mountain range of varying sizes around it essentially bisecting the biggest land mass.

The way to get around it would be to either sail around to the other side where one of the continents has a forest with mega flora and Fauna and where giants live (eveything, including the trees are upscaled). The other way is by land and there is a sort of border town between the western part of the continent and the eastern one so flying would be a good way of moving goods and people realistically.

Well, aside from the fact that they're pretty high tech gear, I would imagine it would result in a new war between gods and mortals, due to heaven being a physical place one could theoretically fly to.

Aside from that, it would expand the trade options of the kingdom to the east, who already has the majority of sea trade, but is hampered by a mountain range that forces them to circle around to reach much of the mainland.

So yeah, upsets the balance of power in many ways.

Already have em

They technically exist and are numerous. There's a whole giant mesa in the middle of a deserty area filled with a supersized fleet of combat airships, but most of the world is unaware they've been in development and production for over a century.
Once the PCs discover them the only major thing that will change is humanity will have a fighting chance

Jokes on you it already has them.
that beeing said the players havent encountered them and maybe theyd ask me why the fuck they had to take the long way to get to the place they need to be.

Then ill tell them what riding an airship will cost them and theyll never attempt to get on one ever again...

Anyone knows some setting with airships and flying islands ?

Shattered Skies?

Also, tried putting them into a setting once, it just resulted in at least two Allahu Ackbars.

>Shattered Skies
this makes no sense why would land split in this fashion - no back story and so on - straight shooter crap - I mean realy good build from ground up setting with flying island airships culture and so on and so forth - nothing like this on the market - realy ?

No, seriously, are there no rulebooks for this sort of thing? I don't know where or what to look for.

Too late.

The DMG has rules for airships, vehicle combat, and artillery so you should be OK.

There are spelljammers in my setting, but they can't fly very well in the atmosphere.

This is going to change soon since catpeople have successfully created the first ornithopter.

The Mantis corner the market on them and go from naval power to air and sea masters.

There are airships in my setting, however there are also powerful mages. Airships were developed on an island with waaaay too much cold iron to develop its own magical tradition. Instead they found a way to create an alloy that is very slightly lighter than air, with purer and purer alloys being developed periodically. They were a powerhouse for a while, mainly because nobody expected their first wave of invasions, but they've since been beaten back by various cabals of mages. They still have fairly large holdings, but airships traveling in groups outside of their borders are looked upon with great suspicion.

Upwind. I backed it on Kickstarter, haven't had a chance to play it yet though.

The PCs are Explorer Knights, basically an international order of knights that sail around on airships, exploring islands and looking for lost archeotech.

Interestingly, it uses playing cards instead of dice to resolve encounters.

Do you draw them or have a hand? Ive always been interested in playing-card resolution.

Only 2e uses thac0. Only B/X doesn't do multiple attacks. Otherwise they're much the same.

You have two hands actually!

You assign three suits to traits you have. These are usually descriptive abilities like "Flys like the wind", "Master of Disguise", and "I know a guy" (just stole all those from the examples list)

The last suit you assign to your Potential (basically a somewhat inherited magical ability).

Everything is the game is resolved in Plays. A player usually initiates a play by describing what they want to do and what they want the outcome to be. The GM proposes outcomes if the player fails and the difficulty. They go back and forth till both agree on the stakes.

The player players a number of cards from his hand according to his relevant ability. If he had "Flys like the wind" at 3 he could play three cards on any sort of piloting check or really anything that involves being airborne, like falling.

The GM plays a number of cards from his hand equal to the difficulty. The higher total wins. The narrative event happens and usually the mechanical representation of it is a cache that can be played later in another stake.

For example, say you recruited a guy. You might get a 1 or 2 card cache that can be pulled from in future stakes where that guy could reasonably be of use.

There's a few more mechanics, but that's the gist of it. Like if the GM and Player tie, they raise the stakes and each asks for something even bigger and then they go again.

Oh, and I forgot. The extra hand is your Potential Hand. You get an extra hand to store cards for your magic ability since it's usually very good. You also tend to redraw to this hand less frequently.

That sounds like a colossal pain in the ass.

>High level greyhawk?

Muh nigga.

This.

Not much as all action is taking place underwater.
The occasional Mermaid will be on the surface and spot one and wonder what it was but otherwise it is irrelevant.

What if the airships are constructed as inverse submarines by the mermaids?