Does FR have dark elves and drow, or are drow the dark elves? I thought there were, like...

Does FR have dark elves and drow, or are drow the dark elves? I thought there were, like, tan/brown elves in addition to the drow.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oZU_0vDqrFk
forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_elf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The Sun, Wild, and Wood elves are said to have 'bronze', 'dark brown', and 'copper' skin respectively.

Drow used to be dark elves, before they were hit by a subrace-wide curse when a portion of them were total asshats, then all of them were driven under the earth by the ordinary elves, where they dwell to this day.

When Eilistraee (temporarily) died, any good drow that weren't descended from the genuinely evil dark elves were given the opportunity to revert to their natural dark elf state that looks much like your stereotypical waifubait hentai brown elf.

Note when they say Bribze and Copper they actually mean it. Wild and Sun Elves look freaky.

It's funny because the dark elves who were cured of Wendonai's taint were still referred to as dark elves, which I'm sure makes semantics a problem.

sauce? i usually never ask for it

Something something they all died

"Brown elves" are just dark elves as envisioned by Japanese artists, usually not entirely seriously (generally speaking they don't tend to take fantasy very seriously, especially Western fantasy). They come from the same roster as orcs that are literally pig people rather than simply "pig-like", kobolds that are literally dog people, dwarfs whose females are lolis, and minotaurs whose females have enormous tits. Like all of the above, they were embraced by Veeky Forums as a concept because for all that Veeky Forums might whine about weaboos and tarnishing their precious Gygaxian canon, they still can't resist masturbating to it.

WE

The way I heard it, the sexualized brown elves in Japanese media comes from Lodoss War's descriptions of them, back when Mizuno was doing replays of his setting in Comptiq magazine, and that those descriptions are actually derived from 2e modules like Queen of the Spiders, whose cover depicts sexuslized brown elves but were considered representative of drow because some of D&D's writers have no idea what the hell they were writing.

WUZ

We'll always save the day!

Bumping for delicious brown elfs. Isn't there some kind of purple elf on fr, under the rule of the Simbul?

ELVES

Friendly reminder that Fusion is Rape.
youtube.com/watch?v=oZU_0vDqrFk

>Bronze
I get what this means. It means a very deep tan, like you'd see among the peoples of the Mediterranean during summer, or perhaps the mixed peoples of the Carribean.

>Dark brown
I get what this means, this is probably comparable to the skintone of Southern Indians.

>Copper
What is this even supposed to mean?

They are not humans.
Their skin is the colour of bronze, and copper. (The dark brown can be compared to human skin colours.).

>What is this even supposed to mean?
Brown/orange ?

Its a common name for a skin tone thats similar to pennies. Beyonce or Tyra Banks would be a good comparison for copper skin.

Its kinda like bronze skin but a little lighter and less red.

>freaky
That's a funny way to spell "hot."

Uhh... If the War of the Spider Queen series is considered cannon then some drow reverted back into delicious brown dark elves.

Technically brown elves as dark elves is a Japanese thing. Just how some people interpreted it and it took hold their, nothing wrong with it but I generally prefer drow/dark elves to be either unaturally pale, or supernaturally dark with the charcoal or midnight colored skin

As delicious brown is not something I wanna ditch I made the high elves of the sun nations in my setting feature those skin tones, brown, bronze and red, while the wood elves ended up with a more keltic feel

I like the super pale thing for underground elves. I've been working on a form of dark elves that broke off into two types. City dwelling nobility whose strong use of magic allowed them luxury so they are just pale evil elves that are pretty much like the Hellboy 2 ones and then you got the wild ones, the lower castes who had to survive in the underdark wilds. They have enhanced hearing and smell but are blind. Im toying with whether they lost their eyes completely or just can't see anymore.

Neat. I figured Pirotess was patient 0 for the Japanese, but I'd never heard that tidbit about it.

>Its kinda like bronze skin but a little lighter and less red.

Long answer with shameless copy paste

>"Later, Q'arlynd Melarn managed (through a High Magic spell, with the aid of Eilistraee) to transform those drow that took up Eilistraee's dance back to their ancestral physiology as dark elves and they physically reverted to their brown-skinned dark elf form. Drizzt was not among those "redeemed dark elves," and his skin remained ebony because only followers of the Dark Dancer were affected by the High Magic spell.[10] However, as of the 1490s DR, post Second Sundering, the returned goddess Eilistraee still had many drow followers[11][12] despite a century of absence. Considering that the transformed drow were less than one thousand[10], and that the Dark Maiden, as a lesser power, had at least a few thousands of followers[13], this could lead to think that there is a possibility that Q'arlynd's spell didn't in fact affect all the followers of the goddess, or that they were given the choice to embrace the transformation or not."

Short answer: yes, they are good dark elves that are no longer "drow".

And I shall add more to that with this

forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_elf

I think pale dark elves and onyx drown both work, the dark ones are decendants from a cursed population, the pale skins are decended from those who joined them later

>You will never have a buff cheeto be your wife
Thinly veiled amazon thread?

came here to post this This is actually addressed in lore. The Drow WERE the chocolate elves

give them very large, fishlike, light sensitive eyes, like Gollum

It means they have skin like a copper dragon

>ny good drow that weren't descended from the genuinely evil dark elves were given the opportunity to revert to their natural dark elf state

This was INCREDIBLY awkward, by the way, since it was actually highlighted that they were partway to redemption, not fully.

So the black-skinned elves who are now halfway redeemed are brown-skinned. Which logically means that pale-skinned elves are the final step...and you see the issue there.

I much prefer to imagine that dark elves had black skin from the beginning.

>Which logically means that pale-skinned elves are the final step...and you see the issue there.
I don't, actually
elves aren't human

Drow is less a species and more an alignment

Here is a chart for handy reference.

It is canon. They even reference the rebuilt city in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

I didn't think I had a fetish for stacked amazonian dark skinned elves, but I certainly do now.

They're the same. They used to be called the ilythiiri till all the elves went to war. A big ass magic strom fucked em up and the Sun elves came in an Vietnamed the place. Killed women and children and burned their cities. Then they started worshiping dark deites for more power and Corellon kicked them out of the Holy Land.
They were named 'dhaerow' which is Drow in elvish

Except the clade of eladrin from whom the Drow were made were originally brown-skinned and black-haired. They reverted to that. There is no next step.

Lodoss War was pretty blatant about adopting 2e AD&D stuff, though ironically the most popular Western RPG at the time was GURPS.

>the most popular Western RPG at the time
In Japan?

....So, the Falmer?