Legend of the Five Rings General: Sneaky Ninja Edition

The new L5R owners FFG put out a bunch of info on the new LCG version on their site located here: fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/19/legend-of-the-five-rings-the-card-game/

There's also a designer interview here which got me more interested in the LCG than their site did, to be honest: youtube.com/watch?v=cC_IZqqcxxI

This thread is to talk the CCG, new LCG thoughts, RPG stories or mechanical questions and the perennial favorite topic of 'why your favorite clan is shit and mine is best'.

So with the Spider gone the way of the dodo and the Mantis likely to come back just as a plain old Minor Clan again, what are the hopes of people who played them or those other weird factions like the ratlings and Naga for the future of the LCG? I honestly enjoyed Mantis as a GC but am not too sad to see them go in the lore given this is a reset with some canon changes to the best era of things.

Previous Bread:

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/5/3/the-conflicts-of-rokugan/
discord.gg/qWt2YVp
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hopefully the naga and nezumi stay gone as full factions. They were both awful and deserve to stay gone. The one off factions like the Ninja and Spirit should also stay dead. The Brotherhood basically got rolled into the Dragon so they can stay gone.

A ronin and Minor Clan faction would be about the only thing I would add.

Also new previews are up for the LCG.

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/5/3/the-conflicts-of-rokugan/

That pic reminds me an old story:
>PC ninja wants to kill local duelist hero
>GM specifically tells us that the biggest local ninja clan gave up on killing the dude because he hard-counters ninjas
>PC still goes with the plan, sneaks through a fuckhuge citadel to reach the duelist's private chambers, waits for a whole day there starving and dodging patrols
>The target finally enters the room
>PC throws poisoned shuriken at him
>Duelist deflects the shuriken easily because he has Wary and Brush the Arrow Aside
>PC makes a wild escape, becomes the laughing stock of the underworld, leaves the city in shame

It was exactly as hilarious as it sounds.

Link to Veeky Forums discord server:
discord.gg/qWt2YVp

are those grenades on that ninja's sash?

How was that player not discovered/killed yet? A ninja with that kind of attitude never lives very long. He should have learned the Bitter lies...

"It's in my nature. Also, fuck you."
So very Scorpion.

Smoke bombs, my ninja.

>So with the Spider gone the way of the dodo and the Mantis likely to come back just as a plain old Minor Clan again, what are the hopes of people who played them or those other weird factions like the ratlings and Naga for the future of the LCG? I honestly enjoyed Mantis as a GC but am not too sad to see them go in the lore given this is a reset with some canon changes to the best era of things.

Come on user, this is the part you change of the copypasta each time. Plus you can remove the commentary from the opening. AND you missed the news update on their site. And those embed chains

0/10 Shamefur Dispray, commit sudoku immediately.

Holy shit every time I think we're almost done with this game's mechanics the page just keeps on scrolling. I can't tell if it's seriously overcomplicated or if the vocabulary (which is at least less offputting than Netrunner's) just makes it seem that way.

Not necessarily. Rokugan has long had "totally not gaijin pepper" explosives, and some Scorpion ninja won't even bother pretending. If no one is going to live to tell about it, why would they?

It would probably feel very good to play this against a Scorpion Player.

The next line the L5R version of the fable is the name of that card. Scorpion didn't even need a ride he could have just stung Frog and been on his way, he just had to be a dick about killing him as well.

Yeesh

What is an effective way of playing a Scorpion who knows how to get shit done and who to contact for things like poisons, drugs and information? Is Lore: Underworld good enough for such things or should I start buying up Allies advantages or something?

Im playing a Shosuro Infiltrator and our ragtag group of people managed to impress the Emerald Champion of being worthy of being commanded to help up shore up the bureaucracy. So now we are under an older magistrate to help him deal with a larger region. I have been thinking that managing an information network should prove highly valuable, while maybe also dabbling in some business ventures on the side to help stave off the boredom of bureaucracy.

What do you think I should do, user-kuns? Am I supposed to spend experience on such contacts or should this be done through rp? Maybe I should investigate some merchants of dubious honour and then pay them a visit about our bright future together as a merchant patron and blackmailed slave?

Since we are likely going to be traveling some, it would be also nice to have some mechanic of knowing some Scorpion/Shosuro spies, informants, geishas and such in the cities/towns/villages we visit for some local vision.

There is the Spy Network advantage from EotE, perhaps roleplay your way through getting access to an existing Scorpion one or setting up your own.

Recycled art...recycled mechanics.

I suddenly am a lot less excited about the LCG.

You might want to get Well Connected, Spy Network, Gentry (Unique Holding): Geisha House/Ninja Dojo/Other, Blackmail or Ally: Yasuki Courtier, etc.

I feel like Earth and Air might be two of the stronger rings to go for early game. Air especially if you're worried about losing honor quickly.

It also seems like the game won't be so "You play Lion? I guess you're never gonna win a political battle" and feels like they want people to build more balanced decks.

>It also seems like the game won't be so "You play Lion? I guess you're never gonna win a political battle" and feels like they want people to build more balanced decks.
Given the limited card size in you work with to form decks, it might just be an attempt to make a political set of choices that feel Lion for an Ikoma deck, you know? Not saying it is bad, but I have a feeling that it may be less about balance than giving options for all clans to try for political vs. military action in their own unique stye

I mean look at the Lion's pride brawler. Clearly showing the lion can be political in their own unique way.

>It also seems like the game won't be so "You play Lion? I guess you're never gonna win a political battle" and feels like they want people to build more balanced decks.

I think I would prefer it this way.For a couple of reasons. For starters: There was nothing more mind numbingly boring that honor running control crane vs scorpion dishonor control

So I'd like to see diversity. Less control and just more options to focus on.Sure, you can make a super military deck or a super politic deck, but if you've got no way to deal with the OTHER one than the diverse deck is going to at least match you break for break, since you get one political and one military challenge per turn. And I'm also pleased that the base mechanic for honor running means you're going to have less card draw, so it kinda shuts down the whole problem in the ccg where control was king.

>inb4 nu uh control got beat all the time
By the broken ass zerg rush ratling deck, and later on by the mantis. And the mantis won because of the free sneak attack gained by naval keyword plus bow for ranged kill a man to deny control the presence they needed to fuck everything up. You'll remember that every military deck HAD to have three copies of sneak attack and take a province on turn two or you'd lose. I'd like my games to go just little bit slower then blitzkrieg speed, and I'd like for momentum to shift once or twice as opposed to I'm going to play cards and you're going to sit there while I tell you what you can't do, which is everything, until I win.

*breakthroughs into your second province owo*
Good morning unicorn clan!

If you relax and do not clench not so bad getting broken through.

Sides unicorn always let me ride like a cowgirl.

Asking for a first time gm because none of us can find the answer to in the 3rd ed, core book:

How long does a combat round last in Legend of the Five Rings

I never played GoT, but don't these cards work differently? If nothing else, the right one allows you to defend. If anything, Pacifism looks like a take on the Magic one, which makes sense.

The first one really is pretty blatant, though.

IIRC there's no set duration. The GM will have to decide. A combat round is short enough that you can't say more than five words without concentrating on it though.

The L5R Pacifism allows participation as the attacker/defender in political conflicts.

Fallen in Battle just requires winning a Military conflict by 5. It does not require you to have initiated the attack. You can also discard your own characters which could get you honor if they are honorable.

This is a good thing, honestly. They're drawing from their experience with a similar game. People overvalue originality. It can get in the way of having a better game.

>"You play Lion? I guess you're never gonna win a political battle"

This probably isn't true. Lion seem to want to rush (at least according to their spoiled cards so far). They have a lot of weaker units that don't stay around for very long. It's probably in their interest to end the game as quickly as possible.

If a deck is only capable of military victory, the shortest the game can be is 4 turns. Breaking 3 provinces and 1 stronghold. This is because you can only declare 1 military attack a turn. Therefor the quickest way to win is to have a potent military and courtly presence.

He was actually a very good ninja. The full story is that he almost kusarigama'd the duelist to death after the shuriken fiasco, but the guards arrived before he could finish him off. It was just that his initial move failed so hard the duelist could get a surprise turn on him.