Im tired of always using (and seeing) "The Empire" or "The Kingdom" to signify the unified 'good' guys and "The Legion"...

Im tired of always using (and seeing) "The Empire" or "The Kingdom" to signify the unified 'good' guys and "The Legion" for the unified bad guys.

What are some alternatives for these shitty names? Alternatively, what are some good practices or resources to name these things?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forms_of_government
thesaurus.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Im tired of always using (and seeing) "The Empire" or "The Kingdom" to signify the unified 'good' guys
I agree. The good guys should be The Workers' Self-Governing Collective.

The Collective are good neutral name. Or just stop using "evil"/"good" factions make ones that have rational views based on the circumstances of their existence.

As for armies you can't go wrong with "-ian army".

Isn't Empire more often used for the bad guys?

It's kind of fifty-fifty. Kingdom, though, is almost always for the good guys.

Union
Enclave
Refuge
Caliphate
League
Clandom
Shogunate
Domain
Dominion
Fiefdom
Realm
Commonwealth

>Having "good guy" and "bad guy factions"
Pleb.

Khanate
Commonwealth
Trade Alliance
Federation
Union
Soverignity
name of people followed by land/mark/stan

For example: If I'm creating a new Khanate (I use the term Qulnate in my setting) for the Masiyhan people I'd name their state either the Masiyhan Qulnate or Masiyhanqul.

I hope you realise I am going to be using that map the next time I DM

Don't forget all the "People's Republic" style titles. Democratic Union, Republic of, Democratic Republic...

Feel free to have regions that are smaller. Duchy, County, Province, etc.

Federation, Collective, Empire, Dominion, Continuum.

OP what i recommend is that you read any fantasy book with even minor politics, hell even LOTR each race is a separate faction and even those have more sub factions. So, either you haven't read any decent books or you re just dense. Fix it.

I've once used an oxymoronic name, like "The People's Democratic Empire" or something to that effect for a guerrilla war faction in Not!South America.

I had the The Empire, The Union, The Commonwealth, and The Hegemony, all in one game. None of them were the good guys in the age of dying colonialism.

An empire can't democratic?

Also, a democracy can become an Empire... so far every democracy ever made has become an empire.

I have two major countries and a collection of other factions of multiple sizes. No reason you can't just make mutliple stamd alone factions then find a reason for them to war

>Empires cannot be democratic
Nigga you done goof'd.

The kingdom is actually evil.

Just like real life.

"The Collective" for me usually reads as evil, I dunno.

The Hive

> The kingdom is actually a loosely tied coalition of duchies
> The king is a child/madman/incompetent/missing and it's the royal council that actually rules
> The king is actually a good king, and a good king is a calculating politician than know how to use both diplomacy and force for the well-being of both his kingdom and his dynasty
There is a lot you can do with any political system. Also internal divisions, because no country is monolithic.

Need to change out those super generic names though

>Collective
Get in the fucking helicopter Commie

> Inb4 mindless or hive-mind country
> Inb4 literal monolith-country

Nigger that's the entire point of the map.

I hope keeps the "city of protagonists" idea though. And that everyone in-universe is aware of it.

>"Oh, you're from Lionguard? There's a gang of minotaurs in the cavern just outside the village, go see the mayor once you're done killing these fucks."

I know Veeky Forums really hates OotS but I think Lord Shojo was the perfect example of that last one.

Never. Not unless it's gonna be a serious campaign, anyway.

> Not keeping them and have the heroes fight the originality-draining reality-warping demons that plague the lands.

> You try to save your comrade, but it's too late and you can only listen his dying words about his wife and kids he will never see again despite him always being single.
> You get hurt and suddenly you came from a backward but loving village in the mountain and not from middle-class part of a city you were actually born
> Your drill sergeant fall, and you suddenly shout his name dramatically as you remember how his harsh but just mentorship guided you, instead of the standard collective class of your actual training

Nice. If anyone has any more ideas, I'm open.

Republic
Merchant Republic
Democracy
Democratic Republic
People's Democratic Republic
People's Democracy
People's Republic
Republican Democracy
People's Republican Democracy
Democratic Republic of the People
People's Constitutional People's Democratic Republic of the People

>the Dark Lord kidnaps your cute farmer chilhood friend and threatens to kill her if you don't join him
>you could have sworn your chilhood friend was a butcher's son named Fred

I'm a huge fan of confederacies because they're essentially just a bunch of countries agreeing that they're totally all one country you guys.
Makes for some insane internal politics because just going to war like any other country would isn't really an option

> The princess was kidnapped the day of her arranged political marriage, you rescue her but ever since she became a strong women that want to fight with the heroes. She's now able to defend herself despite no training of any kind.
> The royal guards have been affected by genericness and are now so loyal they will walk to their deaths, but unable to stop even random thieves. You have no other choices but to develop their backstories and make them actual characters or replace them.

>because they're essentially just a bunch of countries agreeing that they're totally all one country you guys
And also that it's really about states' rights.

>everyone in the Church goes from nice people at best and conservative pricks prone to giving boring lectures to evil rapist priests who are corrupt and slaughter people by the dozen while calling them heretics

*lectures at worst

In the end, the only way to defeat the big bad is to sacrifice your individuality, all the things that make you you, to embrace the tropes. After all, heroes win in generic fantasy...
The big bad go down with a smile, you played your role and he played his. He could finally live a story like in the book he read as a kid.

Gotta figure out the history of your various groups.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forms_of_government

Also realize that many places have different names. What they name themselves may not be the same as what others know them as.

For example, in my world there is a Union of feudal lands. Much of the world knows them as the Union, or, more formally, The Union of Norsica but some just call it Norsica.

But calling it Norsica is offensive to many who live there. Norsica may be the largest and most powerful state in the territory but the Union includes a dozen other feudal states.

And some of those living there don't like the Norsican Accords that Unified the homes of their ancestors.

Like how people from Texas say they've from Texas, not just from The United States. They get specific.

They say they're from Carthidel or Thyrondy or that they're Phyrran or Vethican.

>"The Legion" for the unified bad guys
I've never seen this one.

Someone's a Star Trek fan.

> The town was raided, and is now entirely inhibited by orphans, widows and that one old veteran that wished he would never had to see such a scene ever again that can explain what happened to the heroes.
> Some men will reappear tomorrow though.

>Elf society is slowly collapsing as they all become insufferable pricks unable to work with outsiders.

>BBEG has a powerful henchman, starts out loyal at first
>As he's affected by the originality-draining corruption around him, he becomes more and more of a betraying little shit
>The burden of fighting his growing urge to kill the main villain gets heavier and heavier, with visible impact on his sanity
>Become a tragic villain through the paradox of fighting his own generic character trope, while staying loyal to the BBEG to the end, worsening his condition
>Get his redemption from dying to the most noble of tropes : tragic flaw

>hurr let me say republic 11 different ways

>What are some alternatives for these shitty names?

thesaurus.com

Do your own damn work sometime.