Ask Veeky Forums a question about D&D

>ask Veeky Forums a question about D&D
>"depends on the setting"
>99% of people who play D&D do it in the same Greyhawk x Forgotten Realms clichéd setting
Just answer my question you shits, you know what Elves are like

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/53007202/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52965690/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52890600/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52795352/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52714780/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52681052/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52586461/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/53061017/#53061017
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52999421/#52999421
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/32860776/#32860776
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/46411685/#46413936
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/33242834/#33242834
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47201363/#47201363
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47336794/#47338114
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/45587253/#45587253
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47336794/#47336794
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/41375181/#41375181
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/48171589/#48171589
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/32456214/#32456214
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51692743/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/48057708/#q48057708
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51329181/#51329181
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52988103/#52988103
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52977127/#52977127
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>99%

50% at absolute most, and that's not all DnD.

This is why you define the context when you ask the question, moron.

Depends on which generic setting

Are you doing Tolkien, Dwarf Fortress or Forgotten Realm elves

Meme dwarfs or non meme dwarfs

>Greyhawk x Forgotten Realm

Big difference between Greyhawk and Ebberon settings

This never happens. You didn't write the words "in D&D" in your OP.
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/53007202/
Where does it say "in D&D"?
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52965690/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52890600/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52795352/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52714780/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52681052/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52586461/

Please link to the thread you posted.
I don't believe you asked a question about D&D specifically.

If you are playing in the same, old, shitty Greyhawk x Forgotten Realms cliché, where everything is a dead horse and every path has already been walked,
why the fuck are you asking in the first place you retarded quadruplenigger?

>Year of Our Lord MMXVII
>not using your own special snowflake setting

>This never happens. You didn't write the words "in D&D" in your OP.

This is what I came here to write, I'm glad to see you did so - and with sources, too!

While OP should clarify if asked, people who respond with "depending on the setting" should have their fingers cut off.

>ask a question about D&D
>gets ignored while people post about waifus and fetishes

Ask a shitpost question, get a shitpost answer.

In most cases, really does depend on the setting. Either be specific, or accept that you're going to get a very generic response or a request for more information.

Depends on the question.

An open question to start a thread in an online anonymoos board implies that you have a doubt that needs to be answered, not that you seek confirmation for your own bias on anything.

You know how elves from myth are different from D&D elves, from Tolkien elves, from waifu meme elves, and a little bit of everything is splashed into each generic setting, not even two elves are the same elf.

Besides, if 99% of the players and DMs use the same generic setting in the same way wouldn't you know the answer already? What do you want from us?

You can masturbate to Drizzt if you want nigger, just do it in private or go to /d/.

Even if your premise was accurate, your argument would be idiotic.

Yeah they have dexterity bonus and for some reason can use long swords, even though long swords makes absolutely no sense in any setting they elves ever spawned.

My GM currently runs dnd in Innistrad. I've never played in greyhawk, forgotten realms, or eberron.

my setting first started in an 11th century setting and then time skipped to the start of the 14th century

is that typical?

any one who wants to play a wizard must be at least middle aged, I don't allow young wizards as I believe having the ablity to apply magic in combat is something that takes decades of practice.

I don't let anyone multiclass with wizard, soccerer, cleric, bard or druid either as these thing take a lot of dedication and you don't get to choose to be a soccerer.

other than these things I wouldn't really consider my setting "low magic" in anyway, I'd just say that magic isn't so abbundent as forgotten realms to the point that every second person is a magic caster.

more of a every city has around half the amount of wizards as blacksmiths and every second hamlet probably has a wizard living secluded in a fort or watch tower he purchased.

Depends on the thread

If all your games only ever happen in generic settings I feel sorry for you.

The main problem I personally have with the "depends on the setting" meme is that it just shuts down any sort of discussion about the topic. That and the main people who use it are smug assholes who have to proclaim it to absolutely everyone. Just don't post if you weren't going to answer anyway.

Depends on the setting is neither of those things. It's not a request for a clarification nor is it a generic answer. It's a response, nothing more that adds absolutely nothing. Basically it's a response that has the same effect of ignoring the question.

"Depends on the setting" people are just smug cunts who have nothing to say, but demand to be acknowledged. I sincerely hope all these people die slowly and while lying in the hospital bed ask the doctor "what's wrong with me."
I hope the doctor replies with "depends on the condition"

I love how this stretched out asshole of an OP still hasn't actually asked his damn question. DId he ever even have one?

He obviously didn't otherwise he would've asked one. Pay attention to the thread and what it's about.

Are you people just completely fucking stupid?

>>ask Veeky Forums a question about D&D
>>"depends on the setting"
>This never happens.
This.

But when they ask a question with a setting dependent answer, there are exactly three possible meanings:
>1. "In the setting of your choice"
(ie: Why do dwarves hate elves?)

>2. "If there *were* a setting independent answer, what *should* it be, in your opinion?"
(ie: What race makes the best wizards?)

>3. "I, the OP, am an asshole faggot that is an idiot and/or assumes you're psychic and know what setting I mean."
(I don't even)

Now if it is 3, then there is no reason to ever bother responding.
So we can safely assume it is 1 or 2 and reply with either an answer based on the setting of our choice or of an ideal formed by our opinion.
OP should be happy with either as they did not specify.

Posters who feel there must be a 4th option of "I need to be told it depends on the setting." can please see

"Depends on the setting" is both of those things.

It is a request for clarification because it is directly reminding the OP what information is missing.
Sure it's phrased a bit rudely, but the leap of implication from "depends on the setting" to "in what setting?" is far shorter than the leap from "why don't dwarves celebrate Easter?" to "why don't dwarves in Forgotten Realms celebrate Easter?"
If you expect us to read your mind and just KNOW what setting you're talking about, please aim to follow your own standard and interpret "depends on the setting" as another way of saying "in what setting?"

It is a generic answer because it is technically true regardless of context. Do dwarves celebrate Easter? In some settings they do, in some settings they don't, we can't answer "yes" or "no" without lying, simple as that.

Your analogy is also retarded, because it is the doctor's job to diagnose your condition, and asking "what's wrong with me" to a doctor in a hospital is requesting a diagnosis.
It is not our job to guess what setting you're thinking of. You can take a few seconds to tell us that as part of your question.

Again, please link to the thread where you asked your question "about D&D" if you're not full of shit.

>1. "In the setting of your choice"
>2. "If there *were* a setting independent answer, what *should* it be, in your opinion?"
Neither of which are written in the OP, so it amounts to "read my mind" anyway.
A question of hard facts and a question of personal preference are completely different.

I never asked any questions. I'm not the OP in question.

Instead of wasting time answering nothing the proper answer would be "dwarves do not follow christianity and most fantasy settings do not have actual christianity in at all" Followed by "X setting's dwarves follow y holiday which does involve decoration of Z and hiding them"
That's a fucking answer.

If it's not your job to fucking answer then don't fucking answer. Not answering would do everyone the fucking favor. Answer the damn question or shut the fuck up.

>Neither of which are written in the OP, so it amounts to "read my mind" anyway.
No it amounts to the OP declaring they don't care if it's 1 or 2.
If someone asks for a piece of fruit from a bowl and there is an apple, an orange, and one rotten banana, you don't tell them "I'm not psychic!", you hand them an apple or an orange.
This is neither a hard concept nor a situation worthy of drama or sarcasm.

>A question of hard facts and a question of personal preference are completely different.
Both 1 and 2 are matters of personal preference.

But I do answer the question that was asked. My answer is "depends on the setting", which is the only true answer possible. I could have gone into more detail, but I'm less inclined to do so when the OP asks a vague question on purpose.

>Both 1 and 2 are matters of personal preference.
The question "do dwarves celebrate Easter" is literally a question of hard facts. The question "SHOULD dwarves celebrate Easter" is a question of personal preference. They are not the same question. Do you see how that works?

I said JUST ANSWER MY FUCKING QUESTION. You sad sack lump of smegma, can't you fucking read? Where the fuck is my answer???

>I said JUST ANSWER MY FUCKING QUESTION.
No, you did not. I checked.
What question did you ask that got you so butthurt?

If you specify that you're asking about D&D, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a good in-context answer.

>My answer is "depends on the setting", which is the only true answer possible.
It's not an answer, it's a reply.
See >Basically it's a response that has the same effect of ignoring the question.

The setting of your choice is a matter of preference and so is your opinion of what *should* be.
Do you see how that works?

Relax and realize your knee-jerk response to unspecific questions might not be as awesome as you think it is.

It is an answer, the same way the answer to the question "when does the store close" is "depends on the store" or "different stores can close at different times" or "which store?". I don't give a damn if you don't want to hear the answer.
You (or whoever keeps posting that kind of thread) don't ask "what SHOULD BE", only "what IS", and that's not the same question.
If you want to know "SHOULD dwarves celebrate Easter", do not ask "DO dwarves celebrate Easter".

"Which store?" is a legitimate answer. It's a followup question regarding clarification on information you do not have.

"Depends on the store." is not a legitimate response. While, yes, you're technically correct, you have neither answered anything, requested clarification, or really done anything of value regarding the conversation. Plus it makes you sound like a smarmy self-satisfied cunt, and everyone would be well within your rights to smack you full on across the face.

It's like when you asked your teacher to go to the restroom, and they responded with "I don't know, can you?" You aren't doing anything with that except pissing people off. So stop it.

>The setting of your choice is a matter of preference and so is your opinion of what *should* be.
Who is asking that question? Where did anyone ask about "the setting of your choice" or "what *should* be"? Please post a link to a thread where that happened.

see If you expect us to read your mind and just KNOW what setting you're talking about, please aim to follow your own standard and interpret "depends on the setting" as another way of saying "in what setting?"

>Greyhawk x Forgotten Realms clichéd setting

>Thinking greyhawk runs on clichéd rules.
Heh. No user.

>Greyhawk x Forgotten Realms run the same way
Ha. no. user. No.

The just ask "In what setting?" Or "which setting?" Ask for clarification if you're unclear or something instead of giving a smug non-answer.

Or, better yet, if you don't care and think it's a shitpost, don't reply at all!

How about you (or whoever) just phrase your question properly in the first place if it bothers you so much?
If you write "SHOULD dwarves celebrate Easter" instead of "DO dwarves celebrate Easter" you won't have this problem.
Now please, show me the thread were OP asked a question.

He didn't ask a question. That's not what the thread's about.

It is an answer, the same way the answer to the question "What is twp plus two?" is "The sum."
It is a pointless, smug, asshole response that has the same effect of ignoring the question.
Unless you are trying to kill posts in the thread, there is no point to ever posting it.

>Whoever keeps posting that kind of thread don't ask "what SHOULD BE", only "what IS", and that's not the same question.
"What is the best way to phrase this question?" can easily be interpreted as "What should be the best way to phrase this question?"
Essentially, I've heard it both ways.
But OP being imprecise doesn't make a pointless, smug, asshole response any less of a shitpost.

>If you want to know "SHOULD dwarves celebrate Easter", do not ask "DO dwarves celebrate Easter".
Agreed.
By not specifying, which all but the newest of newfags should know to do by now, OP is declaring that they find either acceptable.

"Depends on the setting" is just faggy passive aggressive cunts getting upset about threads. No one except newfags doesn't automatically dismisss and ignore them.

Also, holy fuck are those fags trying hard to justify their favorite non-answer here.
We see right through you, you dumb sacks of shit.

>That's not what the thread's about.
Read the OP again.
>99% of people who play D&D do it in the same Greyhawk x Forgotten Realms clichéd setting
>Just answer my question you shits, you know what Elves are like
I don't care if that guy isn't OP, they're both wrong.

How many legs does a dragon have?

Fucking rekt, OP.

> the bonuses don't piggy back off each other, reeeeeee

Min-max scum spotted

I like them to have four for "true" dragons, but in the extended "dragon" family you'll encounter things like wyverns (2 legs) and giant salamanders (4 legs, no wings, barely even dragons at all).

See? I passive aggressively provided you with something that we can discuss to illustrate how adults discuss these sort of topics, instead of just passive aggressively giving a non-answer to show my displeasure at your post.

>Who is asking that question? Where did anyone ask about "the setting of your choice" or "what *should* be"? Please post a link to a thread where that happened.
Well, you got me.
They do often phrase it as "your favorite setting" "your setting" instead:
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/53061017/#53061017
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52999421/#52999421
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/32860776/#32860776
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/46411685/#46413936
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/33242834/#33242834
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47201363/#47201363
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47336794/#47338114
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/45587253/#45587253
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/47336794/#47336794
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/41375181/#41375181
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/48171589/#48171589
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/32456214/#32456214
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51692743/
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/48057708/#q48057708
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/51329181/#51329181
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52988103/#52988103
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/52977127/#52977127

Finding times when "what should x be" or "how should x be" is harder to search for, and I admit I've seen it less.
The real point is that either interpretation is implied when OP says "What is" but does not specify the setting.

true dragons have 4.

>How many legs does a dragon have?
Depends on the dragon.

It really can be a faggy passive aggressive cunt of a response, can't it?

> asks a random question about elves
> "it depends on the setting"
> clearly I meant D&D Elves!

Ah! I get it!

You're just passive aggressive cunts upset about D&D being the assumed default.

Shouldn't you be going around, getting upset that people assume 40k when they say "space marines"? Go around and try to start a meme of "Depends on the space marine" next time someone asks about them.

>not lurking enough to know what elves people talk about
lurk moar newfag

I'm interested to know why someone would need a stock photo of a woman in western business attire pointing a gun at a goldfish.

I think its a miscommunication, deliberate or accidental on both parties part.

When an OP goes "Would Orcs eat tubers?" what he actually means to ask is "I am looking for some ideas about greenskin and root vegatable relationships and how I can incorporate those narratives into my story"

However, the responding user misinterprets this to mean "I think Orcs are one particular thing and tubers are one particular thing" which annoys user because thats clearly not the case.

user should reply "In my favourite setting/settings Orcs relate in this way to tubers."

Unless he is being deliberately fickle

I actually might have an answer to this. I'm pretty sure it's a similar situation to that old, flavor of the month meme Dat boi (A gif of a frog on a unicycle) where they just made it since they could and put it out on one of the sites in case someone wanted to buy it to use for something (before it was a meme, Dat boi actually got used in a physics textbook apparently)

reading all the butthurt in this thread, i feel i should reply with depends on the setting more often

Well, you'd think that, but it depends on the thread.

I don't think I have ever played Grayhawk or forgotten realms .

>Complain to Veeky Forums about a problem ALL games have
>It's always a problem exclusive to D&D

they either have 6 limbs, so 4 legs, or are serpentine with either 4 or no legs.

Fine. High Elves take a smattering of features from Eldar, Quarian, and a few other sources to make a nomadic, technology focused race with deep ties to their spaceships. They combine the arrogance of being an elf with the air of hanging around a techno-gypsy, but can also not be total dicks.

You're a fag OP

I'm not saying there isn't inexplicable butthurt in this thread, but as one of the ones who think it's stupid, I wanted to say it doesn't bother me and I never reply to the ones that post it.
I just regard them as dumb shitposters, accomplishing nothing.

>someone shut this dumb ape up
>Everything is context dependent
Huh.
I have an image reply for these two.

I'm sorry we assumed you were the 1% without plebian tastes, OP.

Or in general
>why do people in warhammer distrust magic/psy?
Because demons and mutation
Vs
>why do people distrust magic/psy
Which depends on the setting and the answer differs from "nobody does" to"because they tried to enslave everyone and a religion was made just to kill them"

How many of those threads got a "depends on the setting" reply?

Read them all and report back.
I checked the first three and nobody said it.

>Go around and try to start a meme of "Depends on the space marine" next time someone asks about them.
That's a great idea. It's not like loyalists and traitor ones differ, it's just color and number of spikes.

No I think the onus is on OP to provide a proper question (i.e. a direct and specific one)

Quit being autistic.

I have a hard time believing the majority of people doesn't do what we do, which is just make shit up as we go along, vaguely taking inspiration from the monster manual but not really following it like scripture.
Giant spiders can talk, all wolves have a human form, goblins have advanced technology. I don't care.

% of people who play D&D do it in the same Greyhawk x Forgotten Realms clichéd setting
I've been playing DnD since I was 11 and I have never played in one of the standard settings.
Ever.

People do. People who respond depend on the setting are just retarded cunts

Some people do, some people don't. You could say it depends on the thread.
I'm going to keep answering "depends on the setting" to the latter just because I know it triggers you.

Now tell me OP WHAT WAS YOUR QUESTION?

>i'm going to admit that "depends on the setting" is just weak ass trolling by passive aggressive cunts

We already knew that, but thanks for the confirmation at least.

>the proper answer would be "dwarves do not follow christianity
So rather than "wasting time" giving a generic answer and pointing out missing contextual information the "proper" response is to pull a random answer out of your ass that may not be accurate depending on the missing contextual information?

Giving random answers that may be wrong depending on context instead of asking for context is obviously the bigger waste of time all for the sake of intellectual masturbation.

Even if not them, you're as stupid as the op.

>It is an answer, the same way the answer to the question "What is twp plus two?" is "The sum."
The equivalent example would be "What is x plus y?" and answering "depends on the values" since the critical information was left out.
If we had known the setting/value was forgotten realms/2 then we could give a better answer.

Are you retarded or shitposting?

I've only ever met one single group that used a premade setting (Golarion), and that experience was a huge letdown. I was mildly curious about how a big fleshed-out setting would work out - after all, you can read up on anything and be sure to make a character that fits into the world.

It turns out there's not many advantages at all if the GM knows much less about the setting than you do and all opportunities for tie-ins go unnoticed or ignored.

>Just answer my question you shits, you know what Elves are like
Depends on the setting.

Didn't ask what you "like" JUST ANSWER THE FUCKING QUESTION. You sad sack lump of smegma, can't you fucking read? Where the fuck is the answer???

>i'm going to admit that "depends on the setting" is just weak ass trolling by passive aggressive cunts

We already knew that, but thanks for the confirmation at least.

>the proper answer would be "dwarves do not follow christianity
So rather than "wasting time" giving a generic answer and pointing out missing contextual information the "proper" response is to pull a random answer out of your ass that may not be accurate depending on the missing contextual information?

Giving random answers that may be wrong depending on context instead of asking for context is obviously the bigger waste of time all for the sake of intellectual masturbation.

Even if not them, you're as stupid as the op.

>already knew that
>the confirmation
Actually... it depends on the setting :^)

At least something was contributed outside of NOTHING.

Look, if you don't want to contribute, that's fine. Hiding threads exist as a tool for a reason. Don't be a cunt. Because you are helping no one, you don't know what's being talked about in Q&A session, and like all idiots who don't understand, should shut the fuck up and stop being a cunt.

>a wrong answer is better than a request for clarification

Actually x+y =x+y

The question did not demand a specific number. Did you guys not do algebra in high school?

How do you know it was wrong? Unless, *gasp* you figured out the context without being given one, like a fucking semi intelligent person!

Good job, maybe we can finally stop treating you like a cunt

I can't tell if you're refering to op's non-existant question or the closing store or easter dwarves but all of them lacked necessary information and were not presented as general questions like why shouldn't dwarves celebrate easter.
You're retarded.

also
>not doing algebra till highschool
wew kid

>So rather than "wasting time" giving a generic answer

But it's a passive aggressive nonanswer. But you already confirmed that. :^)

>may not be accurate

Oh, you're a super autist who thinks fantasy questions have only one answer.
No wonder you get so upset when people have conversations you can't follow because you get hung up on how autistic you are.

Maybe it is right, we can't know and speculating is a waste of time like what you were whining about because we still lack context.

>we can
>treating you
lol, multiple anons have been calling you a retard, my first post was >*gasp*
>>tumblr
>>reddit

> fantasy questions have only one answer
They generally do if they're about a specific setting.

>y-you're just MAD
wew, there's no need to get all defensive and start projecting
arguments on a mongolian finger painting board are not serious business, kid

I really can't tell if you're trying to act retarded to bait but it's working so congrats I guess

Depends on the setting.