My character isn't an adventurer, why would he go out and explore some dungeon?

>My character isn't an adventurer, why would he go out and explore some dungeon?

WE'RE PLAYING DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS

WHY DID YOU MAKE A CHARACTER THAT DOESN'T WANT TO GO ADVENTURING

Why doesn't Veeky Forums appreciate the more epic side of adventuring? Its a lot more fun to have an exciting and unique character than just a cookie cutter "guy who uses a sword xDDD ftw" or "guy who uses supernatural powers." Think tourists, chefs, professional wrestlers, and of course, the most epic hero of them all.

Take a deep breath, cool your powergaming jets, and read the awesome tale of Sir Bearington.

>Social Intrique Campaign
>Large City Criminal Investigation Campaign
>High Seas Piracy Campaign

There's three reasons I came up with off the top of my head and I've only played D&D once. So you can bet your sweet ass that if I built my character around being a grizzled City Guard chasing a serial killer, or a foppish lesser noble trying to maneuver his way to the throne, or being The Dread Pirate Roberts that my character isn't going to want to go explore some claustrophobic ass dungeon.

I would, put in your folly, you seem to have posted a thumbnail so small and so riddled with jpg compression that it is unreadable.

Also, we already know the tale of Sir Bearington.

Those work great for the campaigns you just listed, but if the campaign is centered around a dungeon crawl or some similar concept, and you knew that during chargen, why would you make a character that doesn't want to go dungeon crawling?

>not talking with players about the type of campaign, setting and characters they want
>running DnD

Novice plays, OP.

Because sometimes being the reluctant adventurer can be fun as well. You get to play a character who, despite his or her better sense, allowed themselves to be talked into some quest, and is now looking at/experiencing all this strange new things with a sense of wonder and fear that an experienced or eager adventurer wouldn't have.

It's like being Arthur Dent from HHGTTG. Yeah, your character can wrap their head around the existence of a bugbear, but seeing one charge right at them is something else entirely. It's a way to play a greenhorn whom over the course of the adventure experiences character growth along with power growth.

If you've got a reluctant adventurer you either need to write a damn good (and flexible) motivating factor for going along with whatever the party wants to do in the backstory, have something that occurs in-game binding them to it, have a GM who is able to masterfully weave motivations, or have blatant disregarding of character for the sake of gameplay.

It's risky territory.

>epicness
typical bearington poster
let it end

Absolutely. And I'm not saying people should play reluctant adventurers. I was merely giving a reason as to why someone would make a character that didn't explicitly want to go adventuring.

D&D is a terrible ruleset for that.

6/10 bait, had the proper lure and was disguised as actual discussion very well, but lacked the hook.

Everyone knows about bearington. It was pretty funny, once.

>Bearington
>Bearington thumbnail, no less
Is this bait

Every time until everyone learns.

Sounds like you failed to communicate to your players what type of game to expect.

>My character isn't an adventurer, but he will follow the party and explore the dungeon because [REASON]

There. I fixed the fucking problem. I'm a better player than that faggot, send me a pm and a link to the game.

Can still have dungeons

>Large City Criminal Investigation Campaign

The investigation leads into the sewers, which can be a dungeon

The treasure map leads right to a dungeon

This post is pure kino.

Yes they CAN have dungeons. That's not the point. The point is a character that you would likely see involved in such campaigns are likely not equipped/reluctant to go into such places to begin with.

You're effectively asking the grizzled beat cop to just take up spelunking in a deadly, monster filled hole that he has no experience in doing.

>It's not my fault if I make a character that is designed to not want to follow common plothooks
>The GM should have to give my character the motivation to play the fucking game
Go skydive with an anvil

Sometimes a grizzled beat cop has to go into a deadly monster filled hole to get the perp

You can't escape the long arm of the law criminal scum

>Everyone knows about bearington. It was pretty funny, once.

It's still funny, user. It's still funny.

This shit happens to me all the time. There's always some guy who will see the basic conceit of the campaign and decide to make the complete opposite.
>The campaign will be about obtaining X!
>my character has no interest in that, so I'm just going to fuck up the first session now.

This. Also, I've been to neighborhoods in the real world far more dangerous than a monster filled hole. If a cop character afraid of glorified pitbulls and traps that are more survivable than someone burning down his house while he sleeps, "grizzled" ain't the right fucking word.

The thumbnail picture makes it just perfect.

kek
2/10 for half-assed bait

Yes.

>There's a player in my party that always does this
>Every campaign, his character is somehow opposed to the party
>Oftentimes actively works against their goals in some manner or questions why he's even there

I understand that it's fun to have party conflict, sometimes, but it's being done in entirely the wrong way here. Additionally, my character can't react to it in the way he would because that would involve removing the other character from effective play, which isn't fun for the other player.

Just read it for the first time and laughed out loud

Dumbfuck Redditor

Nah just new to Veeky Forums

>Because sometimes being the reluctant adventurer can be fun as well. You get to play a character who, despite his or her better sense, allowed themselves to be talked into some quest, and is now looking at/experiencing all this strange new things with a sense of wonder and fear that an experienced or eager adventurer wouldn't have.

Then talk to your GM about it before you even make the character. If you just spring it on him with no warning at session 1 he probably won't know what to do about it.

>bearington_epicness1.jpg
>1
How many copies do you have user?

>grizzled City Guard
user, available criminals are kept at the ready in dungeons by law enforcement personel. They also like to hide out in dungeons where those same aren't present.

Without a sex dungeon? Or catacombs you gotta visit to find out of somebody's ancestry does actually hold up to scrutiny?

Oh boy, I sure wonder at which secluded and lightly frequented place our informant who knows when that ship we'd like to capture is going to meet with us?

ALSO GIANT SHIIIPS GHOST SHIPS DUNGEONS WHERE YOUR CAPTURED CREW IS BEING HELD

"Dungeon"'s just a catch-all term for any chain of rooms with stuff in'em.

>your party and the fire watchmen you've recruited are in hot pursuit of a criminal who could potentially be a ninja through a shantytown.
>your team and the watchmen will have to use their wits and the ladders&fire axes of the firemen team to outmaneuver, trap and apprehend the perp. Property damage is permissionable

Literally a fucking dungeon-type situation. Even with classic dungeoneering tools and teamsters.

In 7th sea we had the opposite problem of trying to get one guy to see his family more

See, that's all fair and good; I won't begrudge you being new, the way some neckbeards might...

But understand that while Bearington and the like are funny the first time and maybe the second time, you will grow tired of them. When they are brought up EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. You will grow tired of them. When they are forced into every fucking game "For the epic lols," you will grow to fucking hate and despise them. Comedy lies in the unexpected; but once a thing becomes trite and predictable, no-one laughs anymore.

That said, welcome to Veeky Forums and enjoy your stay. Welcome to years of loving things and growing to hate other things. We are, sadly, a factionalised hobby, but with luck, you'll be one of the few who doesn't grow so attached to a thing they'll defend it through anything and refuse to see its faults, never moving on, even after what they first loved about a setting or system is long dead.

Have fun and try not to get hurt too badly and when you do, dust yourself off, admit nothing was really lost, as long as you had fun as long as you did, then move on to something else.

Actually yes you fucking can, if one guy is deciding to disrupt the fun of others at the table on a regular basis then either talk to the DM about it or solve it with some good old fashion violence.

Take away his choice in the matter.

"Remember guys, your characters are all here because XYZ," where XYZ is either they want to be or have to be, but it's already decided either way. Most of your players won't have an issue with it. If that guy does, it'll gradually drive him out of the game unless he adapts.

This is why you do a session zero, people.

>Okay, then you go back to farming turnips for the next thirty years of your life. You have a wife, a kid, and die in your bed.

Then you run the dungeon for everyone else while they make a new character.

We're all friends so I don't want to make a huge deal about it and detract from the game. It's just frustrating both when I'm DMing and when I'm a player.

I can't really call him out because he never listens to me in any matter. I can't boot him because it's a game of friends.

I just put up with it and all. It doesn't detract from the game too much. The worst it ever got was when the party was assigned with clearing out some automatons from a mine. We were promised to be able to use any we didn't utterly destroy in a big battle we had coming up. All of us went out of our way to try to disable them in a non-destructive manner, except for him. He went out of his way to destroy them if he could, and even destroyed a few we had successfully disabled.

A few of us got salty about that one IC and OOC.

Keep up the good work. The loltastic epic kewl Redditor players we're infested with need to know they're not welcome. Making Bearington into something to be reviled is a necessary step.

Had a roommate pull this. I still don't understand why he hasn't been diagnosed with autism. He literally could not figure out what was wrong with an adventurer who did not want to go adventuring.

You should not need a session 0 to have players not create characters that run counter to the stated themes of both the game and the campaign to be, user.

You state those themes in the session zero!

Shit like this is why I don't bring a gun to game night.

1/10 bait assessment, unironically fooled into thinking that the file size wasn't part of the bit. Baby's first bait post.

This is the first piece of thought out bait thst wasn't false flagging I've seen in a while. Good work user