I'm looking at making a board for 40K using pic related...

I'm looking at making a board for 40K using pic related. I wanna use these foam mats so I can make small incisions to slide aquarium plants into (I plan on making some pretty dense jungle).

Does anyone have any resources for board making? Especially stuff regarding how much cover there should be.

With the interlocking plates I should be able to mix and match terrain features fairly seamlessly.

Any advice would be welcome. Cheers.

Other urls found in this thread:

tripleacegames.com/terrain-building-guides/
coolminiornot.com/articles/6397-how-to-make-modular-terrain
1000footgeneral.blogspot.com/2015/05/making-terrain-boards-part-1-planning.html
aliexpress.com/item/10-PCS-Plastic-Artificial-Green-Grass-Underwater-Simulation-Plastic-Aquarium-Plant-for-Fish-Tank-Decoration-Ornament/32579660628.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.22.uWUVde
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Any reason why wouldn't just use insulation sheets cut into squares? It's cheaper and probably less of a hassle than those puzzle pieces.

Here's a resource for making features
tripleacegames.com/terrain-building-guides/

And here's one for a modular table
coolminiornot.com/articles/6397-how-to-make-modular-terrain

As for how much cover, I suppose it depends on the rule set.

>Any reason why wouldn't just use insulation sheets cut into squares? It's cheaper and probably less of a hassle than those puzzle pieces.

I'm not that great at cutting things, so I'd probably end up with various sizes that don't fit together properly. I've had a look around for different prices and I've seen them as low as 6 bucks.

Alright, reasonable enough.

Well, I'm unsure of the material, but if it's not rigid enough then whatever your glue will probably fall off--just something to consider.

Here's another thing you might wanna take a peek at
1000footgeneral.blogspot.com/2015/05/making-terrain-boards-part-1-planning.html

I definitely saw people on facebook using tiles like that. The problem is that you will face a lot of wear on the edges. Grass and Sand actually stick to it better than you'd expect.
I'd still buy a mat or two and focus on building terrain for them, or buy into one of the tile systems of the many companies that produce them. You get a full table for about 150€ most of the time, which isn't that much compared to the actual models (and mats).
Also how can you not be able to cut in straigt lines and expect to not fuck up a project like this?

>The problem is that you will face a lot of wear on the edges

The material is used for walking on, I'm sure if I am gentle when taking it apart, wear and tear will be minimal.

>Also how can you not be able to cut in straigt lines and expect to not fuck up a project like this?

I lack decent wood-working tools. I want the pieces to fit together really well. The seams in pic related look pretty tragic. I'm trying to get as close to seamless as possible for a modular board.

>seamless
>modular
pick one doofus

I mean if you think that table looks tragic (it's gorgeous) you may as well go for it because yours will look considerably worse.

No I won't pick one. I'll try for both because I'm not a sad cunt. If I can't do it, at least I gave it my best shot.

>The material is used for walking on, I'm sure if I am gentle when taking it apart, wear and tear will be minimal.
i think he means any surface you glue on will wear off.

Using a flexible glue and sealant should help with that a lot.

Stop being poor.

Realm of battle is the way to go.

I actually used these as the base for my portable gaming table. Each is 24". I just glued some mdf on top and now I have easy to assemble modular table.
You're better off with other cheaper materials for your terrain though.

>Any reason why wouldn't just use insulation sheets cut into squares? It's cheaper and probably less of a hassle than those puzzle pieces.
the puzzle peices interlock so you don't have to deal with you're modular sections moving apart everytome the table is bumped.

its pretty handy, no pics but one of my gaming buddies has one. though he has his double sided with river sections cut into one side of each tile.

Giving $400 to Games Workshop for a plastic board that's not even painted and has no interesting features.

Are you stupid, lazy, or do you just lack the creative acumen to cut squares like OP?

By all means though. Keep giving them your money.

Your endeavors will be in vain, but good for you sticking to your plan.

for aquarium plants paint them, even if you just hit them with a drybrush and some matte varnish to remove the plasticy look.
You're table will look better for it.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm looking at using something like this for : aliexpress.com/item/10-PCS-Plastic-Artificial-Green-Grass-Underwater-Simulation-Plastic-Aquarium-Plant-for-Fish-Tank-Decoration-Ornament/32579660628.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.22.uWUVde

Should be fairly easy to spray and dry brush. It looks like I could cut the plants to create a gradient in vegetation height.

sounds like a good plan, I'd get 2 or 3 more other types of vegetation so you can have variation of that as well for a more natural look.

Yeah I might get some rocks too. 3 bucks for something like pic related and free shipping seems pretty good.

Ream of battle is a noisy dice-cocking tool.
For the price they could at least have fill the rear with foam for safe stacking and nose reduction.
And it doesn't even feature diagonal deployment division.

>And it doesn't even feature diagonal deployment division
Wot?

That one.
RoB has streets that mark both long and short deployment.

Realm of battle a shit.
Get pieces of wood/ and a mat. If you demand texture, not print, buy a zuzzy mat.

>at least I gave it my best shot.
Damn straight user. Make something you're proud of, even if it didn't turn out totally perfect in the end.

Only one of them does.

Even then do you really need your deployjent zones molded into the table?

It's one of those obvious and objective things that the armchair brigade can scream about on the internet. They love that kind of stuff, since they have nothing whatsoever to bring up when it comes to the more subtle or outright subjective things. You gotta actually leave the armchair and do shit yourself to notice those.

You could do the same thing yourself with stacked foam and a wire brush for pennies, and make rock formations as big as you want.

Being prepared to fail and trying to succeed are, indeed, not mutually exclusive. Not a lot of people understand that.