Privateer Press miniatures

>Privateer Press miniatures
How is this at all excusable?

Other urls found in this thread:

games-workshop.com/en-EU/Ironjawz-Orruk-Megaboss
store.corvusbelli.com/products/haqqislam/280477-0551-special-deterrance-group-azra-il-ap-hmg
games-workshop.com/en-AU/Eldar-Windriders
games-workshop.com/en-AU/Storm-Guardians
games-workshop.com/en-AU/Space-Marine-Assault-Squad-2015
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They have a lot of bad sculpts, and plenty of good ones. Shit quality control. Shit visual design doesn't help.

tbf the painter was sub-par and the colour scheme is also terrible. NMM was also a bad choice. Just a clusterfuck of "let's make a not-great mini look even worse"

That sculpt is like a zillion years old.

Shit game, shit community, shit minis. They use paper cutouts as "terrain", no surprize that PP's target audience doesn't give a fuck about miniatures.

>They use paper cutouts as "terrain"
To me this is even more offensive than the miniatures. I always think about buying a few of the Russian robots and painting them like WW2 Soviet tanks, only to be reminded that actual games look horrible.

Is there even a reason for not using actual terrain and dealing with shitty looking games? It can't be just to save money as every club or shop has in house terrain that you can use.

>People say: hey you should play warmahordes
>Look on page for models
>Mfw all the models are shit.
How do people really paint an army of warmashit?

>Is there even a reason for not using actual terrain and dealing with shitty looking games?

Sportsmanship. There are zero reasons to use good looking terrain in warmachine, it just slows you down.

It's because WMH is super tourney centric so they use the same terrain footrpints for every game. Easier to just throw a circle down labeled "Woods" but it does look like complete dog shit and keeps people who aren't WAACfags well away from the game.

This is also a problem with models being so inconsistent in style yet PP simple refuses to redo them. Like the Black 13th or whatever gun mages that were undersized for a decade because "reasons".

Also don't forget that their MK3 edition was "heavily tested for years" but upon release was the most broken piece of shit ever and nearly an entire army (Skorne) needed to be errata'd.

Some of the stuff looks kinda neat. I really like some of the Troll/Khador/Menoth stuff they have going on.

But holy hell I would never, EVER try to play the game or find a group for it.

This. Plus, the models are so top-heavy or fragile that getting rocked around on non-flat terrain can make them fall over, and the game is set up that an inch or two of accidental movement from shaking the table and having foam or cardboard or plastic whatevers flopping around can make or break an entire game.

using felt pads of the right shape is practically necessary with the cult of competition they've fostered.

which is why I will never play it. If I wanted a game of great tactical depth, with a thriving community, I'd play fucking chess. I want to play with my cool looking toys, and a game that actively stops me from doing that is trash.

The only thing PP minis have over GW are the waifus. 40k has very little in that regard and their female models are usually ugly as sin.

The only remotely cute model they ever made was the footslogging Bretonian Damsel.

This is why I play games with TLoS. simulated los promotes this type of bullshit.

Even stuff like Infinity and Malifaux don't end up with nonexistant terrain. I blame the playerbase that Warmahordes attracts more than anything.

I find it's more the casual tournament level that has flat cutout terrain, casual casual games proper terrain, most battle reports and livestreams are proper terrain, but our local tourny organizer has a bunch of folders of identical stuff to make fairly similar tables that can be transported to different venues easier than proper stuff.

Why not just get together with a bunch of 7yr olds and bash your cool toys together while making pew-pew noises. Sounds about your level, pleb.

It actually looks like that; umbrals are weird cartoonish-looking soul-golems.

>focus is on the gameplay
>wonders why a miniature is just seen as what it is: a fucking game piece

I'm sure your much better looking GW toys justifies being price gouged all the time and the imbalanced rules that are laughably obviously made to sell models. I guess you like feeling like GW's sugar daddy.

And here comes the page5 douchebags to justify their shitty tryhard game by insulting others.

And I thought GW-fags were bad.

That doesn't stop other games from having decent models and gameplay though.

>Is there even a reason for not using actual terrain and dealing with shitty looking games?
The game has a stronger focus on tactics than cinematics, if that makes any sense. WMH is a game where having one model 1/4" out of place can lead to a loss. It is brutally punishing, but incredibly rewarding when you narrowly pull out a victory from the jaws of certain defeat thanks to your precision and skill.

Unfortunately, the modeling team at PP hasn't gotten the memo about what kind of game WMH is after over a decade, and they still make incredibly top-heavy models and models with unnecessary gubbins like swords or limbs or fuckhuge pauldrons hanging over the base, which gets in the way of placement and has a tendency to get stuck on pieces of terrain. So as a compromise, most small tournaments and casual training games use less flashy terrain for the sake of expediency.

I really wish a game would come out with a solid competitive ruleset like WMH Mk II, but with decently designed models & a consistent aesthetic.

Playing Warmahoards was like playing Magic or X-Wing. I was the newb, so that means everyone got to stomp me with their pro lists they got after watching some tournement. I understand I am supposed to lose the first few games being new, but being decimated because of placement or losing from the start because of list building doesn't make the game easier to play. Warhammer at least lets you have fun, but Warmahoards is just tourneys all day every day.

word

And Warhammer's abysmal balance and game design doesn't lead to you losing if you dare play a faction that isn't tier 1? Warmahordes at least ensures that every faction is competitive, even if some have less options than others. At least try comparing it to a game that is generally well designed while being more laid back like Malifaux or something.

You missed the point entirely. Warhammer (which I should have specified to be 40k) isn't just played as a tournement game. Narrative games and campaigns are extremely popular, and are this most common way to play in an organized format. In these formats, it places more emphasis on fun then wining, and the tiers lists mostly disappear. Not everyone hounds Tournement reporters for lists so they can try them on Saturday. It sad that Warmahoards fosters such a system.

That's a model from when they made DnD3.0/3.5 settings and modules, in Iron Kingdoms. It's not an in-game model from Warmachine, and is about 12 years old at this point.

>it places more emphasis on fun then wining, and the tiers lists mostly disappear
It depends on what you mean by "Fun", but if you are talking about tier lists and that entire description somehow being unique to 40K, and entirely absent in Warmahordes, then that is not correct. Little about narrative games stops someone from abusing the rules of the games, much less eliminates discrepancies between factions. On the other hand Warmahordes has a plethora of scenarios which play much more narratively, and of course rules for campaigns and leagues. Warmahorde's better gameplay can lend themselves to said modes of play as well. I could say the same for many other games too. In the end quite a bit can be decided by your local scene, rather than by the game itself. Regardless, tier lists don't really disappear, and Warmahordes fosters no such system.

>I really wish a game would come out with a solid competitive ruleset like WMH Mk II, but with decently designed models & a consistent aesthetic.
Isn't that just Guild Ball?

Can't speak for Malifaux, but in Infinity requires terrain to actually block LOS because even the basic assault rifle can hit up to 48 inches away (not well, but possible).

That said it requires so much terrain a couple infinity tables can easily wipe a store clean of the usual terrain. Many groups have players bring in their own terrain, especially for larger events.

That model dates back to PP's original RPG mini line, which predates Warmachine's MK1 earliest expansions.

Warmahordes is for those people who find fun in beating their opponent with their rulebook adn the list they brought. its actually horrifically unbalanced shit.

its literally the WAACfag game. no emphasis on fun whatsoever, and if youre unfortunate enough to care for the fluff bringing fluff will punish you harder than a sisters army.

if you think what we do is truly any different, I think you need to take a REAL hard look at this hobby.

>game is fun only when it's broken, overpriced and unplayable!
>t.warhammer player
Also, OP two can play this game

the fuck is that thing on the right? looks like the most generic syborg possable. iis that mouldflash on the gun, or is that stupid broken front grip intentional. if you are going to photograph models, at least paint both. or neither,

Sorry to break it to you, but I play Infinity.

Come to Ret for the gundam swordsmen, stay for the steady flow of elf waifus. Shaved heads are optional.

It looks ok to me. Not everything needs to be a hyper detailed sculpt covered in extraneous purity seals and shit, some of us want to play wargames first and paint second, I spend a lot more time trying to make fun and creative lists than I do on paint jobs. There is a minimum standard, and then a very big range in the middle for "good enough".

>decent models and gameplay
But user, how am I supposed to play Dropzone Commander when everyone else is too busy spending all their income on 40K and Sigmar?

I keep trying to get people to play dropzone but everyone is busy playing geedubs games

>looks like the most generic syborg possable.
Nah you talking about necrons

necrons are androids, dipshit.

the minis are nice, but compared to GW they feel pricey for what you get.

That Clone Wars Obi-Wan elf girl is the one PP model I'd be willing to buy. I would probably even paint her in catalogue colours, which is something I hardly ever do.

who cares

It's an Infinity Authorized Bounty Hunter limited edition mini that was a preorder bonus for N3 rulebooks.
They commonly use merc units as promos, because they are usually available to all the generic human factions (6 out of 8, or out of 24 if you count the sectorials, though some use mercs) and the fact that they often have semi-randomized equipment means they can churn out as many models of them as they like (and WYSIWYG is not as strong in Infinity so there's not as much whining about them being limited – aside from the sniper lady, because that is the most popular loadout for ABH). This guy is supposed to represent +3/+4 extra armour roll (which is Heavy Infantry tier).

pic related, game is interesting and high skill and the models are absolutely gorgeous and all plastic

Did you really say that anybody is worse at price gouging than GW? GW charges you out the ass and gives you less and less as time goes on. And then buttfucks you with every codex release forcing you to again buy more just to stay afloat.

Nobody is as bad as they are unless they're charging you money for literally nothing. It's so bad with GW that there is a third party market to buy shit cheaper, and that most people have to claim it's about the hobby and painting because the game is so garbage and that is the only way they can justify shelling out that much money for it.

GW is pretty competitively priced on a per-model basis, it's just the sheer amount of models required to play the games that hurts. The third party market for warhammer is nowhere near as cheap either.

>it's another toy soldier brand wars thread
I'm too old for this inane shit anymore, I'm out.

Yeah, fuck people who expect quality from a hobby that requires spending money, what a silly nerds :)

If you like [thing] buy it, if you don't like [thing] dont buy it.

What's so hard about it? Why is it necessary to spend hours upon hours of sperging on the internet about your own choices?
And on top of all, why the fuck do you care about other people's tastes? Do you need self validation that badly?

Fucking waste of time, grow up, stop making these idiotic threads and discuss more useful matters.

>Do you need self validation that badly?
Said the guy who literally jumped into thread saying "you are kids and I'm grown up lmao".

>Clone Wars Obi-Wan elf girl
Which one is that?

Honestly, the PPM for Dropzone isn't that bad. If you take into account the size difference with heroic scale infantry, they're about the same price per mass even. And on top of that, major centerpiece vehicles cost about ~$30-40 instead of $50-100+.

What I'm trying to say is that I've collected three Dropzone factions for the same price as a 1750 point Eldar army circa 6th edition.

>Love the Retribution infantry and casters
>Absolutely hate the look of their Warjacks

Every time I think about picking up another faction to go alongside my Cryx, I get THIS CLOSE to starting Ret, then remember how fucking ugly their 'Jacks are. It's a shame.

Also, it's silly to hear people complaining about Warmachine being too competitive. There is no Privateer Press police force that'll kick your doors in and force a list of Steamroller scenarios down your throat if you don't like that playstyle. Our group is about as noncompetitive as it comes - we don't use timers (the idea of playing on a clock seems really dumb to me), use lots of proper 3D terrain, and run a nice variety of casters and units instead of netlisting and spamming the most broken stuff possible. It's a really, really fun game. Ironically I've found the granularity and complexity of the rules makes it a better narrative game than 40k or AoS.

This one.
The elves look like they're wearing Stormtrooper armour and Obi-Wan wore a similar one in Clone Wars, with a robe on top.

Same. Although I hate all warjacks, period.
From what I asked about their playstyle you could totally ignore their jacks and go for an "assassinate the enemy warcaster" build. I've also seen some of their jacks painted anything other than white and they looked half-decent then.

I wish I had people that chill around here, or more people at all. I manage to find games with buddies but the LGS regulars are salty tryhards who've been following the same newbie-smashing MO for a decade. That's kind of the story for all non-GW games in these parts, though.

Ret jacks are the jacks I hate the least, which was enough to get me into the game for the Battle Mage rules and Dawnguard models. It also turns out that most of their jacks are there to provide moderate shooting with weird utility effects while my squads of angry elves do the heavy lifting.
>you see tovarich, jack cannot ugly if it becoming pile of wreckage instead

>Also, it's silly to hear people complaining about Warmachine being too competitive.
It probably depends a lot on local attitudes and what "competitive" means for a particular game.

Infinity is also very competitive, but it's a game that relies on tactics a lot more than list building. As much as people will scream about TAGs, ORCs or Bolts being useless, you can easily win with them if you're tactically sound. Top American Infinity player plays the Shasvastii force, which is as "unplayable" as Infinity gets. And people usually play the competitive tournament scenarios.

Now if being competitive means "play only Tau and only use Riptides" or "use this warcaster and these units and the warjacks are actually completely useless, so don't bother", we have a problem. And you yourself mention "netlisting" and "spamming the most broken stuff".

It's not like Infinity is free of WAAC faggots either, I've had my share of "use Swiss Guard you moron, ORCs and Sepulchre are not nearly as good – what do you mean you want to play an ORC Haris?!"

oh I know its not actually that bad. having looked into it more myself.

but that initial surface feeling is what killed DZC in my local gaming area. Nobody picked it up because "why spend £10 on 2 tiny tanks the size of guardsmen that i can 10 of for £20."

>It probably depends a lot on local attitudes and what "competitive" means for a particular game.

True. Personally I'd define "too competitive" to mean "when the need to win becomes more important than the need for both players to enjoy the game". Obviously everyone likes to win, and one of the things that makes Warmachine so fun is trying to work out how best to use the models you've got and their various abilities to get to the objectives/enemy 'caster. But when one player gets utterly stomped with no chance of them fighting back, or if a group finds itself locked into an arms race where they have to buy more and more powerful units to try and keep up with one another, it just stops being an enjoyable experience.

WTF is going on with the silver guys rifle.
>clip in backwards
>weird fore grip

Infinity is not a hard SF setting, that's what's going on.

>clip

Her and pic related are top tier WarmaHordes waifus. Been playing Circle since the beginning of MKII and have only fielded Kaya.

Too bad both are batshit insane and would kill humasn at first sight.

The problem doesn't come down to being competetive or not. The balance is so bad that people are kinda forced into picking more competetive lists to have an enjoyable game.

>Her and pic related are top tier WarmaHordes waifus.

Kaya's only interested in fucking Laris, I'm afraid.

That's an ancient sculpt.

Also, isn't it an old model for the first edition of the Iron Kingdoms RPG? It isn't actually part of the wargame.

People said you should PLAY Warmahordes, not sit and stare at the minis you bought.

It's a sci-fi shotgun designed by a Spaniard between siestas. What's more it's a PanOceanian version, which look particularly stupid due to the backwards magazine thing. Ugly gun design is something everyone playing Infinity agrees about, only "outdated" Ariadna and Haqqislam firearms look good because they resemble contemporary weapons.
And then there's the mistranslation that resulted in every light machine gun being labeled an HMG.

>Ugly gun design is something everyone playing Infinity agrees about
Nah, it's gun owners, autists, and autistic gun owners that have a problem with the weapon designs.
They look like funny sci-fi rifles.
It's the point.

This is half the attitude that the thread is complaining about, dipshit.

Furry pls go.

You'd probably file this under "autists", but there's been quite a bit of hubbub about change to Nomad Spitfire design. Wildcat (top left) carries an old style Spitfire, which has a distinct size and shape. Wildcats are already post-general gun redesign, so their Combi Rifle + Light Ft. (bottom left) looks like on every modern Nomad mini.
The Bakunin Moderator (top right) carries a newer version of Spitfire, which looks a lot like regular Combi (bottom right). It makes the guns look samey and boring, and identification at glance more difficult, especially if it's a new player not yet familiar with Nomad units facing them. And the mechanical differences between Combi Rifles and Spitfires are pretty significant, as one is a short-ranged basic assault rifle and the other a high-burst medium range machine gun.

>GW is pretty competitively priced on a per-model basis,
Really? Then why their plastic indidual models more expensive than Infinity metal individual models?

This statement is flatly a lie. Good to see GW fanbabies are still delusional. Braindamage is the only reason you'd play the worst game in existence.

At least post some cherrypicked comparison images alongside your butthurt.

>Games Workshop miniatures
How is this at all excusable?

That sculpt is incredibly old. It's older than the wargame IIRC.

Modern PP models are better than the awful overdesigned nonsense GW is currently making.

There's a much better version of her model.

Ask GW, the rest of us have been complaining about them for, what, fifteen fucking years by now?

>Shaved heads are optional.

But the objectively best girl is cueballed.

The funny thing is, Empire Free Company (Militia) is about the same age as those guys and are solid sculpts (leaving aside the "epic scale" proportions).

I can see that internal consisteny for identification purposes is inportant - if you're telling me that the bottom two are carrying the same gun (approximately), I'd believe it, but the top two look like completely different weapons.

The autism comes when people say
>"these super-future fictional science fiction black ops operating operators have guns that don't conform to current designs"
as if that's a problem.

Their individual models are priced atrociously, but in a box of 10 Guardsmen you're getting a pretty good deal per mini.
The hook is that you need way more than one box of Guardsmen to even start playing.

But yeah, even older and cheaper metals are actually slightly more expensive than single Infinity blisters.

sadly on pewter :(

Because of the differing costs associated with those different production methods.

The costs in injection molding don't scsle linearly with model count like metal casting does. A space marine captain kit isn't going to be a 10th the cost of a tactical squad, as well as having significantly less sales to spread the investment costs over.

Most GW minis are well priced but typically only come in bulk so to speak. So a whole GW army is going to be 5 times the minis for 3 times the price, even though a few of those minis individually are fairly expensive. Overall its still a good price.

>i-i-it's butthurt
Eat shit Reddit
games-workshop.com/en-EU/Ironjawz-Orruk-Megaboss
store.corvusbelli.com/products/haqqislam/280477-0551-special-deterrance-group-azra-il-ap-hmg

>but in a box of 10 Guardsmen you're getting a pretty good deal per """mini"""".
fix

>pick one bad/old sculpt from a company
>hurr hurr they suck so much
kys asap

>PP
>not over-designing

17 € for a single pewter mini is a theft too.
At least i can buy that MegaOrk for 6 $

I never understood why the infinity rifles are so fucking huge sometimes. I mean GW doesn't even bother with proportions most of the time, so you get a somehwat coherent comic style. But these infinity models look fucking awful.

>GW is pretty competitively priced on a per-model basis

>games-workshop.com/en-AU/Eldar-Windriders

Seventy fucking dollars for three dudes. THREE DUDES. Not even elites or anything.

>games-workshop.com/en-AU/Storm-Guardians

Eighty-five dollars for eight standard infantry.

>games-workshop.com/en-AU/Space-Marine-Assault-Squad-2015

Seventy dollars for five plastic infantry guys.

You're fucking retarded dude.

That's actually a good design though. Reminds me of the old, super badass dark elves GW used to make before their art team had a collective brain hemorrhage.

There's a difference between something being detailed and overdesigned. That model is detailed. Varanguard and their like are overdesigned.

Internal consistency is a problem with Infinity due to their design change a while ago towards bulkier models with smaller guns. Mixed with the fact that they occasionally repack older models with new into combined boxes you get stuff like the Tomcats, where all are carrying the same gun, but the Doctor's looks completely different and also the DEP guy looks like a scrawny kid next to him.

The complaint about Spitfire was different though: it's that the new Spitfire looks too much like a Combi Rifle, when it should be a distinct gun. It's something 40k never has a problem with: a Boltgun, Plasma and Melta all look different from each other, so you can always spot the lone Plasma gunner in a squad of Marines. With old style Spitfire you can always tell which Wildcat in the Fireteam has a different gun, but with new style one telling the Spitfire Moderator apart from his Combi buddies can be tricky. I bring up those units specifically as they can form Fireteams, which means a group of them is usually going to be within short distance of each other, not unlike a 40k squad.

>en-AU

>truth scale
>awful
If so then why your precious GW rebooting their most popular army with truth scale infantry?

>a pretty good deal per mini

call me when we hit $2 USD per figure or less. Until then I'll be playing historicals.

Daily remainder that new/returning player will have a top-quality truescale army while loyal player who remained with GW past 10 years will play with an army of toddlers.
Daily reminder that loyal GW customers are getting cucked right now.
Daily reminder that even GW hates it's customer base.

>I never understood why the infinity rifles are so fucking huge sometimes.
See Older models are thinner, shorter and have huge guns. They used to hand sculpt them, now they use CAD.
Pic related is the perfect example as they basically resculpted the same mini again.

>call me when we hit $2 USD per figure or less
marines, spikey marines, daemons, skitarii, orks, guard, eldar, spikey eldar, necrons, tyranids, genecults? All $2 or less a head.

extra cost's usually when you go outside the troops bubble