How many enemies I need to kill before I create a reputation?

How many enemies I need to kill before I create a reputation?

Here are my deeds:

> eliminated several kobold, goblin, hobgoblin, gnoll and orc encampments
> killed goblin shamans, gnoll matriarchs, orc warlords
> destroyed orc forts
> attacked a necromancer and slayed him in his tower
> razed an orc city and a goblin underground one
> attacked and actually won against an orc military stronghold

It's pretty clear me and the other PCs are like an entire army. And yet when I shout my name at enemies they literally go 'who?' Is this poor DMing? Shouldn't they like get angry, call reinforcements, run scared, give me some kind of reaction?

DM says that they don't know what my group did, but how in the hell do you miss an entire city being torched?

It's not about how many you slay, it's about how many you save.
The people will never forget what you've done for them, if you've saved them directly and claimed credit for that.

Depends. How many witnesses saw you do these things, how important were your actions, did you show off trophies, did you work with other armies, etc.

You build reputation when others think you did incredible stuff. Depending how relevant it is to other places, it'll spread.

None. You just need a really good bard with you.

A reputation isn't having done shit, it's people knowing you've done shit. Were there witnesses to/survivors of your deeds? Did they notice who it was that did it? Would they have been able to tell the guys you're know fighting who did it? Reason to do so? Yeah, news of a stronghold getting fucked will spread, if slowly since they probably have neither social media nor mass media, but that doesn't mean they know who did it. Fuck, if you did what should take an entire army that'd be one reason for them not to think it was you, since you're not an entire bloody army.

Most of these questions are shit you don't know, but the GM does. So stop whining and acting like it should be some MMO where you simply get some reputation points per kill.

I think that the guy who destroyed your military strongholds in a trip would be someone worth remembering his name.

In most of them enemies retreated. Also we did share our names several times during fighting, especially when killing the enemy leader (because honor).

Maybe.

Yes. Yes too, we were never secretely. We did share our names before duels, plus when demanding surrender. It would be weird to think they would be going 'nah, cannot be those weirdos in magical armor'.

I'm whining actually because it feels like a level game, where nothing that you made in the prior level is relevant to your new mission.

>I'm whining actually because it feels like a level game, where nothing that you made in the prior level is relevant to your new mission.
That actually might be the case.

>I think that the guy who destroyed your military strongholds in a trip would be someone worth remembering his name.
Not if you're an Orc, they'll just know remember your face.

Fuck.

I'm not an orc, I'm human. I actually wear full plate but it's has a huge customized insignia (an demon skull being piercing by a sword) which are only used by us Slayers (name of our guild).

Relevant Oglaf

Probably because orcs don't communicate between tribes or something like that.

Why would your name be associated with these deeds?

Maybe somebody else already took credit for your deals. (another orc, maybe).

Burning Wheel has a system for handling this which could be used in another system fairly easily.

So at the end of every adventure, after the Trait Vote, the players also do a reputation vote. Essentially players can nominate one another for a reputation they think that character had earned, the group then votes on it and if the majority agrees on it then the character get a new reputation. The same system can also be used to remove existing reputations or increase the scale of one.

Not you, the Orcs you pissed off.

>Is this poor DMing?

Have you done anything to tell anyone but your other partymembers about your deeds?

Did you leave survivors? Bring squires with you? Were you acting in favor of a village who could have investigated your claims of razing an orc city?

If you've had proof, like a squire or some survivors, maybe the head of the gnoll matriarch or other trophies then yes, its just bad DM'ing, but if you haven't made an effort to advertise yourself then thats your own fault

I should have read the thread.

Talk to the DM about it, tell him you want the world to react to what you do, maybe pitch the idea of various villages actually giving you a squire, or just imply that they investigate and then send word to neighboring villages and back to the king, telling the villages to call upon your party for help, then telling the king that he should reward you or recognize you somehow with a holiday

Then the king is hearing of you, which is like a signal boost but for the sword coast, and other towns in your area are calling upon you for help, building a large geological region that holds you in high esteem, and when other people hear about that region you'll have a higher chance of being named as a local band of heroes

Still, it isn't just that I want respect from the villages. I want my enemies to treat my guild like criminals treat the Punisher.

how do they treat him?

But did you leave any survivors to tell the tale?

Like... meh.

>Who goes there?!
>We are the Slayers, conquerors of Orcinsh fortified city and Last Hope stronghold! Surrender or die, that's your choice!
>Attack!

C'mon DM, give us a bit more feeling.

Yeah, we let several enemies retreat.

Once you become renown for saving villages, the people you're saving the villages from will realize you're really good at saving village, I.E. killing them and their friends.

Again, your DM should be able to handle stuff like that, but maybe not considering

You know, there's probably a feat for being renowned and having followers. Take that the next time you level up.