What's a cool sidearm for my character that is a heavily armoured tacticool dungeoneer with a "not a riot shield" style...

What's a cool sidearm for my character that is a heavily armoured tacticool dungeoneer with a "not a riot shield" style shield and repeating crossbow? He also likes throwing bottles of holy water, molotovs, flasks of oil or acid, and caltrops.

I was thinking a bayonet or some kind of compact steel club.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=S4220eWR83Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bar mace
telescopic mace
blunderbuss (shoot once at close range, then use as cudgel)

Slap a bayonet on that crossbow.
TWO bayonets...yeah...

A sap, or a net stick. Or brass knuckles.

Something like a crowbar or hatchet that has some kind of non-combat utility to further cement the bag of tricks kind of vibe.

A 14 inch black rubber dong to use as a bludgeoning weapon

Hatchet Harry?

Wouldn't having to undo his trousers mid-combat leave him open for retaliation though?

Pretty sure adding/removing clothing is a full combat turn.

Pistol or hand crossbow depending on setting with inbuilt lantern.

Actual historical gunsword, all the firepower of a sword with the cutting power of a gun.

>molotovs
How does he know how to make molotovs? I certainly don't

Well, you take a bottle of whiskey and stick a rag in it.

Done.

Thanks, only works with whiskey or any alcohol will do?

Would wine work?

>do this outside or at well-ventilated room
>wear eye protection
>pour liquor in glass
>light matchstick, touch liquor with it
If the liquor ignites, it's high enough volume. Wine probably won't be.
Also you can use tar / crude oil instead of liquor.

any FLAMMABLE liquid will do.

Gopher-chucks.

This can work, but poorly.

Glass Bottle + Gasoline + Oil + Rag

The oil helps the gasoline stick and burn longer to catch more things on fire.

A dagger!

adding styrofoam to the liquid will make it more sticky which is quite a nasty thing.

>repeating crossbow

Well, if your GM has allowed that bit of idiocy, you can get away with pretty much anything at all.

Hell, you could probably convince him to let you stick a bayonet on your crossbow!

Do you not know history at all?

Mini crossbow with attached torch and wooden pointer and silencer rag

I second this. Great idea. Listen to this dude OP.

A hook attached to a length of rope. A good melee weapon to pull people off balance and it doubles as a grappling hook.

Go with a club, make it electric if you can.

>anime

To be fair, repeating crossbows were a thing for the chinese and maybe the romans (not so sure on the romans part tho).

But the Bayonet idea is silly, i agree.
Thing is, most crossbows needed to be put on the ground to reload them, and a pointy end on the front will make that a lot harder

OP here, at work and phoneposting like degenerate scum, came back to check the thread and I am impressed as always. Cheers m80s

I Agree, clubs are pretty good improvised weapons.
youtube.com/watch?v=S4220eWR83Q

also hatches are pretty good, if OP plays D&D or some sort, bc you want to keep your magical woodcutter axe with Bane(Plant)

>Do you not know history at all?

I know the Chinese used them during the Three Kingdoms period, assclown. I also know the Chinese STOPPED widespread use of them soon afterward because they weren't very effective outside of siege operations.

They were fired from the hip, so accuracy their sucked. Their bolts were smaller and, because you drew the string with one hand instead of a windlass or "goosefoot", hitting power was limited. Most often, the bolts had to poisoned to make up for the lack heft and penetrating power. Are you poisoning your bolts, faggot?

The crossbow's string was also weaker and wore out much more rapidly then a normal crossbow. Carrying lots of extra bow strings, asshole?

Of course none of those historical facts keeps a fuckwit like having their PC from tote his repeating crossbow through a dungeon like it was a M1 Garand complete with bayonet.

After all, that's what you can do in some fucking video game, right faggot?

OP here

I know people sometimes have an issue with this argument, but it's a world where throwing holy water at the reanimated dead makes them burst into flames.

Tweaking a concept with historical background to be more effective than it was in history for the sake of entertainment and cinematic excitement, or even just mechanics isn't untoward or deserving of scorn. I get it though, you're insecure and incredibly pedantic and your self-worth is based off of your being sure that strangers on the internet know you're quasi-knowledgable about military history. It's fine.

How rustled would your jimmies be if I was lying about this being a tabletop character and I'm just shooting the shit on my next Skyrim playthrough? I'm still doing heavy armour and focussing on using a crossbow, but crossbows aren't repeat-firing in game and also can't be used in conjunction with a shield. Or would that make you feel better? Whatever soothes your blasted booty.

Crowbar, so you can break things open

user please try not to spill your salt everywhere.

>shitposter said, as he continue to fuel the flames
Reported.

It's against the rules to state that you've reported a post, ironically.

Dude, I don't know how OP is using his repeating crossbow. Maybe he's taking its inaccuracy and finickiness in stride. Maybe he is actually using poison on his bolts - that's a real possibility. Maybe if he's using it like a gun, he's treating it like an inaccurate SMG rather than some bolt action rifle (and before you ask, there were at least a few early SMGs that had bayonet lugs). Maybe there's elf or dwarven magic or craftwork in there that makes it better, I don't know.

Just chill out. Not everything has to be completely accurate to history, and even if it is, what you're describing doesn't actually sound that bad. You're the one making the assumption that they're treating it like a gun.

Hi /k/

>ctrl f
>shovel
>entrenching tool

You fuckers disappoint me.

Telescoping shovel-spear.

A Mace with explosive charges in the flanges.

Tactical tomahawk/small hand axe. Can hold with one hand while using the shield, and can also use it as an improvised crowbar or to cut actual trees for barricades.

Take a clay jug, fill with oil or some other flammable liquid, seal it and wrap a rag soaked in more oil/wax around it.
Basic firebombs are really piss easy to manufacture.

>being this autistic about a game
Do you actually hate having fun or somehing?

Make it a spring-loaded one

Go full tacticool dungeon delver

That would work only rarely. Just because the whiskey is flammable, doesn't mean it will ignite easily.
You need something of 'higher proof', like gasoline () or small pieces of a bar of soap, dissolved into the alcohol.
What the fantasy/medieval equivalent is, I have no idea. Turpentine?

Messer/Hanger

I really like this character idea! What system are you using? And how are you building them? I might base a future Player Character off of this, I really dig the professional Dungeon Delver.

Hell yeah, bayonet!

You're using a pavise shield?

Truncheon is where its at. Also invest in trap detecting chickens, you first build one of those carrot on a stick contraptions so it bobs back and forth between the chickens eyes so it goes forward. They should trip all the traps.

Normally I don't comment on this sort of thing but holy shit lighten up dude

not that assblasted twat, but consider what you just wrote and then remember what board you're currently on.

Greek fire in a bottle?

>having obvious issues with poison and strings

Did a spider scare you user?