When Stalking Yeti enters the battlefield, if it's on the battlefield

>When Stalking Yeti enters the battlefield, if it's on the battlefield

isn't this redundant?

Prevents it from resolving if someone bolts it right?

>play stalking yeti
>its effect triggers
>opponent kills it with lightning bolt or something
>its effect resolves
>it's no longer in play
>nothing happens

exactly. makes it so you can remove the ability from the stack if you remove the yeti from play

I used that card in my first half-decent deck.
A shitty R/G aggro deck with Slith Firewalker and Bull Aurochs
Fuck, I miss those times

also prevents it from bouncing itself before it gets hit, which I think was the main concern

but he wouldn't be able to bounce himself in response thpugh, since that can only be done in sorcery speed

That seems like an extremely fringe thing to care about. The other "ETB: this fights target creature" creatures don't have that clause.

I'm going to assume the bounce was originally instant speed and they changed it last minute.

this guy was printed waaaay before fight was made into a keyword so it needed a lot more rules baggage.

It's redundant only by today's rulings.

Question: if you destroy Royal assassin in response to his ability, does it still resolves?

Yes it will still resolves.

So why would the Yeti's ability not resolve if eh is killed?

Indeed. Nothing about it is conditional of Royal Assassin staying on the field, so once it hits the stack, it doesn't matter where Royal Assassin is.

Because its ability is conditional if it is on the field. Once it resolves, it immediately checks to see if it can find Yeti on the field. If it can't, it breaks.

Who said it won't? It will resolve, but it will do nothing.

Has anyone ever point out to WoTC how retarded it is for your creature's ability to resolve without the creature on the battlefield?

I mean, this is a game where you can make infinite squirrels or win because your dragon has too much treasure. Logic isn't too important.

A dragon spews a bunch of fireballs
Something killed the dragon
Did the fireballs suddenly disappear?

Thematically, whatever you are doing has to have already begun, or it couldn't be reacted to. The assassin has already poisoned his victim when the guard shoots him with a bolt of lightning.

Man, I remember those times. I remember the first time I ran the Auroch deck that I had been wanting to run since Ice Age.
It was pure, unfiltered jank, but it was jank that made me happy.