What exactly is the "Matt Mercer style DMing" that I hear people complain about a lot? I mean, what does it entail...

What exactly is the "Matt Mercer style DMing" that I hear people complain about a lot? I mean, what does it entail? I've never watched Critical Role.

>What is this thing that nobody says except from me and my attempt to rile up people on an online Senegal chimney painting forum?

Even if he is baiting I'm curious, I've never heard of this guy.

People drool over Matt Mercer's DMing style but honestly anyone who is decently well-read can pull off those descriptions. I know I certainly do on a weekly basis, as does one of my GM friends. Yeah, 90% of people are shit at GMing, but that doesn't mean this dumb-ass is a gifted savant. His gunslinger homebrew is atrocious, leaving aside the fact that guns do not belong in D&D end of story, it is just terrible mechanics-wise. This show is basically the roosterteeth "listen to grown men chuckling autistically into 5000 dollar microphones with a bunch of retards shouting over each other as the hysterical assperger laughter reaches its crescendo" experience. Why the fuck would you want to watch these people play their shitty boring campaign when you could go out and do it yourself? Is it the tits on the girls? None of them are very hot and honestly they are all terrible actresses, every time I hear their voices I want to kill myself. I cannot even describe how much I hate this shit. Here's the thing: I've seen a few comedy shows of people playing D&D. It was hilarious. Critical Role is just fucking stupid, partly because they are trying to actually play and they make a huge deal out of their stupid fucking campaign. But, the problem with these comedy shows was that people started expecting that out of their normal games. They expected RPGs to be funny. Not just naturally humorous, they want to rape the campaign for any potential it has. And these chucklefucks have read a load of "D&D stories" on imgur and reddit so they think that's how it is. So we have these fuckers derailing our campaigns every time we let a new person in. Now, this can't entirely be blamed on Critical Role, but it sure did its part to exacerbate the problem.

Just go watch Critical Role then.

>leaving aside the fact that guns do not belong in D&D end of story

I enjoy watching the roosterteeth d&d show

The best setting disagrees with your assessment on guns and D&D.

Stale pasta

I never saw it, how is it?

He's the voice actor for McCree from Overwatch. He's a dm on some youtube thing and has like a DM tips series that's ok. Like, whatever. It's in that tabletop wil wheaton channel and people who like it probably think superfight and cards against humanity are great, and just suck wil wheaton's dick about everything

but I don't hate matt mercer and his little dm tips thing isn't bad, sometimes he gives pretty good (but known to the average dm who has studied the art) advice

Ugh, didn't realize that Matt Mercer's campaign was huddling under the fetid umbrella of Wil (ptoo) Wheaton.

I watched the first season, and I was not impressed. Anything e-celebs touch is already garbage, but Rooster Teeth manages to go full pleb. Red vs. Blue was good, but that's all RT has to its credit. Just play a campaign of your own instead, it'll go much more smoothly.

I hate Wil Wheaton more than any man alive. His nerd cred is derived from being the worst character on a beloved show (second only, perhaps, to Troy) and he's managed to spin that into a nerd-worshiping-normie empire.

>Is it the tits on the girls

I watched a few minutes of 1.

The fucking girl shapeshifted into a fucking bumblebee, to fly up a tree and see off into the distance.

I shut that bullshit off. No saving throw. No reroll. Just fuck that shit.

>The fucking girl shapeshifted

Sorry, let me rephrase.

>The girl's character shapeshifted.

Wildshape is a thing you know, and I think druids get it at level 1.

...what? like, she couldn't just use a hawk?

Not sure what the problem is. I wouldn't choose that animal but the idea is okay.

I don't see the issue.

I mean setting aside the fact that Keyleath and the retard playing her are the stupidiest, most incompetent things in tve show,

i dont really get what was wrong with your example. druids turn into animals.

What does 'go full pleb' even mean? I want actually points on its quality (or lack of, apperently)

Didn't realize shapeshifting and looking at stuff required saving throws. Thanks for the heads up

Spelljammer is crap. Greyhawk is the god-tier setting.

You mean the setting with a mechanical horse and a god with a pair of six shooters?

Just people with autism complaining over nothing. Mercer has a great RP focused, fun over stats style. It works great for people who aren't powergaming everything and creates good immersion and fun stories which is the main point of D&D. It is a nice rose colored example of how a game could run when everyone isn't focused on numbers over story

p sure this is just bait

Hoy

>not taking your cues from the McElroy Bros.

Until they started in with their guilty white male act The Adventure Zone was a good podcast on showing how to develop into a better DM over time.

t. Sheldon

>His gunslinger homebrew is atrocious, leaving aside the fact that guns do not belong in D&D end of story
Wait, I recognize these noodles.