Rogue PC keeps stealing my money

>rogue PC keeps stealing my money
What's an in character way to get him?

Before someone suggests, I talked with DM and he told me to solve it ingame. The problem is that I cannot accuse him because I haven't figured out it was him (I know it but that would be metagaming). I do know that my coins keep disappearing (by keeping a hidden note on paper, then counting), so what's a way of getting him in the act? And when I do, should I give him a warning or go to violence?

Punch his player in the face.

Treat your coins with contact poison, see who gets the symptoms.

>I talked with DM and he told me to solve it ingame.
Tell your GM that he is a colossal faggot, only he can't draw.

That would be actually interesting, any alchemy shop I take? I could go there and ask to buy in private, but he would probably find it suspect.

Still he wears gloves. I could wait him to scratch his mouth or any other sensible place, but I'm not sure he would roleplay that without I pointing this out.

Just rig your coinpurse to explode when opened, and store most of your money in the form of gemstones on your person.

Or use counterfeit/illusory money, like glamering a bunch of stones to look like coins. Then kill whoever you see trying to spend some stones.

What's your character, OP?
Just so I can calculate a hypothetical scenario and solution for you.

Rig my coinpurse? Seems good, but how exactly would I do it?

Counterfeit money seems good too, but I would have to ask our magic user for it and hope he doesn't spill the beans.

I'm a human paladin.

Store all your money in your anus. He can't pilfer your coonpurse if it's empty.

Good old mousetrap in the wallet!

That, or exploding runes on the coins themselves.

Probably a bomb on some kind of tripwire, sewn to the opening of the purse, so it goes boom when opened? Throw in some coins for shrapnel and disguise.

There are people in real life who actually stored a cellphone there, but I'm still trying less desperate things.

>I'm a paladin
What edition and what level?

Swap your coin purse with a bag of holding containing a ravenous bugbear. Or a venomous snake/spider in your normal coin purse.

Would I buy it from a blacksmith? And I would need to hire a rogue to arm it, correct?

Arm it yourself.

You have healing powers.

5e, currently at level 2 since it's pretty early.

I don't have traps expertise. Can I still attempt it?

Again, you have healing skills.

First of all, I'd like to go on record saying that you should tell your DM and the rogue PC that it's not fun to get stolen from by your own party (especially when you're playing a COOPERATIVE GAME) and try to solve it by talking it out.

Assuming (read: Knowing) that either you or your DM/rogue are turbofaggots and won't play nice, you should be getting Perception checks to counter his Sleight of Hand when stealing. If you haven't been, demand that you get your rolls. That failing, you can just stay near the party and no one else and see if the money still goes missing. When it does, confront the party and start a fucking witch hunt on the rogue player. If he doesn't stop or come clean by 5th level, Zone of Truth his ass. Get the party together, announce that you KNOW that someone in the party has been stealing from you, and ask everyone to accept the magic that you cast on them (OoC this means tell people to fail their save, since you can tell who passes and who fails when you cast ZoT). He'll either be forced to try his save, at which point you'll know for a fact that it's him anyway, or he'll try to avoid the question at which point it'll be obvious.

All else failing - if you've talked to people and they won't listen; if you're DM has actively tried to stop you; if your party is just ganging up on you in particular - if you're absolutely sure you still want to game with these people, just stop deducting gold from your sheet. If they're going to be fucking douchebags, be a douchebag back.

He means you can try and arm it over and over again until it works, as any failed attempts can be compensated by your healing abilities.

I'd vote for the trap too, but instead of doing something flashy, make it be a piercing needle that deals 1 damage and some poison. You're outright immune to most poisons, so it's a low-risk trade.

Group theft isn't something that should happen.

Your dm/gm is an epic faggot for allowing evil PC's.

You are already a metagaming faggot, for allowing your pally to hang out with a neutral/evil thief.

Drop the group. It will only get worse.

Slap the player and the GM. That's some bullshit right there.

If you're playing a non LG pally, you're hopeless anyway and deserve no fun.

If you're evil/neutral, which is the only reason you should hang with evil/neutral PC's, then you should expect shit like theft.

Just accidentally stab his character every time he steals from you. Then roleplay how upset you are about accidentally stabbing him.

Just do that every time. And tell him that you think you're out of healing spells.

>the dm should make the player stop because a dodgy thief being an asshole to people he works with is not nice or FAIR

Fuck off. Not every RP is a safespace hugbox.

Wait till he stabs you in the back ( literally).
Your PC hangs out with scum, expect to get scummy.

>just stop deducting gold from your sheet
This is also a good idea.

i can only say that it seems the GM is friends with the player and is on their side, talk to the player yourself

So edgy and tough.

Don't worry user, someday you'll find a group that can appreciate your wicked sense of humor.

>I should be able to have fun at someone else's expense and they should have no real recourse to stop me
I'd argue the point further if I didn't already assume that you're both braindead and morally bankrupt.

Shut the fuck up. People who make asshole characters and do asshole things in game are, spoiler alert, still assholes. Nobody cares if it's what your character would do, you're still a dick for making a character that would do that.

Is it metagaming? Your paladin has found coins missing from their coinpurse, and presumably only one person in the party is obviously stealthy enough to do that consistently.

If everywhere you go you're getting your pocket picked, and the only suspects are your four friends, one of whom is a pickpocket, you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes.

Yeah it sure is fun when a campaign gets derailed

Stop playing with assholes.

Get a bloodhound.
Stain your coins in mint.
When they're next missing, tell the dog to seek.

Every one of the half dozen I've played with over 15 years, thank you very much.

I hope someday you realize that not everybody on the planet follows your hugbox mentality. Plenty of people are fine with characters who act like this when its believable. Guess what? A piece of shit thief stealing from other people is pretty believable. What's wrong with wanting to play a character like that? Why do you want to restrict everybody to nice and friendly stereotypes? Can't handle that there are people who think differently from yourself?

inb4 we find out he's some old, bitter baldy from Texas with "strong opinions".

You know what's believable too?

A paladin that doesn't take your shit and kill you. Party broken. Game. Over. Do you get it yet or are you still tripping over muh e-politics?

I'm not arguing that somebody should have fun at someone else's expense. I'm trying to make you realize that there are people out there who have no problem with this thief character in their games while everyone else in the thread is acting like its complete shit and shouldn't be happening. I didn't say anything about the particular thief in that example being a great player doing everything fine, merely berating the asshole acting like everybody who plays a character like this is a piece of shit.

So where did I say that your example was a problem? If someone's character wanted to fight mine for something they did in-character then I don't see the problem with that. Every action should have a consequence. You might take it as a 'game over'; I look at it as people roleplaying and having fun in a game. If someone has a problem with the way someone else's character is acting then that is a personal matter they should take up but don't act this type of character should just be brushed off because most of you don't like it.

Acquire a bag of devouring in secret and start feeding it small coins. Wake up the next day and check to see who is missing fingers.

>I'm not arguing that somebody should have fun at someone else's expense
>Thief is stealing coins from party and sowing turmoil in game group
Please pick one.

This.

Son of a bitch you are overthinking this.
Your character is having coins stolen from their purse on a regular basis.
Your character needs to respond do that in character.
If that's deducing that the thief in the party is the one thieving from him, then do so in character.

If the player has somehow someway made it impossible for you to guess that the pickpocket in the party is doing the pickpocketing from your coin purse, perhaps by only stealing from you while in city crowds, then simply glue your coins in your coin purse.
When he goes to steal them they will pull on the coin purse and you should notice this if you have it on you and you will always have it on you.
No good plan should ever be more complicated than two or three steps.

Unless PvP was declared as part of the style of the game you're playing, the player is dick for making a character that works against the group and your DM is a dick for allowing such a character.

If your paladin is traveling with a known thief and dishonorable pickpocket, what did he expect?

>A piece of shit thief stealing from other people is pretty believable.

Other people is one thing, stealing from the people you are literally trusting your life to while dungeoneering is something else.

It's not even my example. I'm observing this from the sides. Let's see how you enjoy your roleplay when your character gets his skull smashed with a hammer because he's obviously a traitor to the cause.

If your campaign can get 'derailed' by the behavior of two characters then you are doing something pretty wrong and your campaign is too restricting.

My argument is about the character type. Your argument is about a specific example. How many times do I have to say it? The thief in your particular example is an asshole, yeah, you should talk to him about it. I'm saying that there's a place for this type of character while everyone else is just saying its a bad thing.

How stupid is your character? If he's not a complete retard he's going to notice that someone is stealing his money, and since the thief character is playing a character who looks like a fucking thief (why wouldn't he, the player is obviously a retard), it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out, even in character.

Is it a combat heavy game? If so, do everything you can to get him killed. Never flank with him. Never heal him.

Also, if they have shown off their rogue abilities in front of your character, your paladin can just make the deduction that thief = person stealing from me. Play it off as prejudice even.

>what did he expect?
Redemption. People can change. A Paladin wants to convince people out of their wicked ways and can forgive, but if they refuse, he smashes.

Why automatically assume its going to be so one sided? You have a problem with pvp?

And there are a lot of people in the real world who do much worse than this.

Babbys first rogue

>If your campaign can get 'derailed' by the behavior of two characters then you are doing something pretty wrong and your campaign is too restricting.

Really now? Like threads here don't get derailed by two anons flinging shit at each other, and it's not even an organized game where their presence matters?

>How many times do I have to say it?
As many times as you need to understand. The asshole character has a place yeah and it's away from the party, since alienating people is what an a s s h o l e does. Give one good reason why they should tolerate him if he doesn't play ball.

>Other people is one thing, stealing from the people you are literally trusting your life to while dungeoneering is something else.
This.

You steal from your crew, you're done. That's it.

>You have a problem with pvp?
I find you awfully twitchy and quick to accuse user.

>stealing from the people you are literally trusting your life to while dungeoneering is something else.
Give that man a cookie, on my tab.

>If your campaign can get 'derailed' by the behavior of two characters
>two anons flinging shit at each other
Neither user, but any but the strictest campaign should be able to whether this.
Not every group can.
Never play a dick if the group doesn't want you to.

I have a some ideas, but I have a few questions first; do you want the solution to be non-magical? If so, do you want it to involve greivous bodily harm? And is there anyone else in the party who has demonstrated particular sneakiness or capacity for theft (if not, and you guys are actually adventuring, you've got part of the solution right there)?

Here are a few simple non-magical solutions that don't involve trying to rig a coinpurse grenade.

>Mark your coins.
If the faggot has a marked coin after a theft, boom, done.
>Buy a lockbox.
It will at least slow this bullshit down.
>Have a tailor sew hidden pockets in your clothing.
Again, not a long term solution, but still a bit of a stopgap until you can make one.
>Invest in trade goods.
Another stopgap, but one that works more permanently, because unless the faggot has a bag of holding he's not exactly stealing a bag of flour.

More complex and dangerous solutions involve the following:

>Taking quests for the party for free
If it's about money, act like a paladin and accept quests with no material rewards for the entire party; if questioned about it, simply state that since your god has clearly taken a disliking to monetary wealth, if your mysteriously dwindling coinpurse is any indication, money clearly holds no value.
>Put the Rogue in situations that force him to be harmed to access your money.
Bear-traps are quite fun for this; you can also point out to the entire party that if your own coinpurse is in danger, so to must theirs, and have it all put in a communal pot that EVERYONE wants to guard.
>Mislead Rogue into stealing that which ought not be stolen.
You're a Paladin; place of religious or fealty-related significance are of great value to you. They also have the most easily recognizable shit in the world.
>Befriend the rogue.
Or, you know, you could be an adult and just ask him to stop stealing your shit; yeah, you don't have proof, but you're literally relying on each other to not die.

>Never play a dick 'to the party' if the group doesn't want you to.
Sorry.

>I'm trying to make you realize that there are people out there who have no problem with this thief character
You literally came into a thread where the OP clearly had a problem with this kind of character, and then told someone who was telling the OP how to solve the problem that he should fuck off and stop wanting a hugbox. I don't know how the fuck you think you're making people realize that this kind of character is ok, but it blatantly isn't when it tramples on someone else's fun, WHICH IT CLEARLY IS. So let's recap. OP is having his fun interrupted by this thief player. Someone said that this shouldn't happen. You come in screaming about people wanting a hugbox simply because they wanted to not have people stomp on their fun. The guy who called you braindead wasn't using strong enough language, you're fucking retarded.

>Redemption.
Fair answer, but a bumpy path to be sure.

>everyone else is just saying its a bad thing.
It's not a bad thing but it is the kind of thing that should be agreed upon beforehand.
Like erp.

If it's supposed to be a surprise then the DM should know, okay it first, and at which point he might just tell the Paladin to handle it in character.
But the Paladin might not just attack a fellow PC unless he knows beforehand but the player is okay with it.
Communication is alwys better.

>And there are a lot of people in the real world who do much worse than this.
And they have another thing in common, user; they usually have horrifying fucking deaths.

Duh. Obviously not working out with this one. It's hammertime.

What proficiencies do you have OP? I'm an expert problem solver.

This

>Other people is one thing, stealing from the people you are literally trusting your life to while dungeoneering is something else.

Which is why only fools play with a group of evil pc's. Unless they're ALL evil.

>You steal from your crew, you're done. That's it

If the thief is evil or even neutral......why wouldn't he? It's as in character as showing group loyalty while being evil/neutral.

Enlist the rogue to help you solve the case of the missing coins.
Set a thief to catch a thief after all.

It probably won't solve anything, but it'll be funny.

>I'm saying that there's a place for this type of character while everyone else is just saying its a bad thing

So, I make up a tentacle monster, and using poison, I drug and rape your PC, then say, HAHAHAHA, U didn't know it!!! Don't metagame!! hahahaha!

It's the same as having a thief rob party members.

So, is there a place for that type character?

A thief who steals from party members, is the same as the guy who drugs and rapes party members. Now, go trust that guy with your life in the next dungeon.

>It's in my character to have no self-preservation instinct
>wtf you're a bitch and you can't take it that I roleplay
Dude.

That thief is a dead man and that's his own fault.

You don't need to share alignments to have trust.

>why wouldn't he
Because he has front row seats to what his crew does to the opposition.
>It's as in character as showing group loyalty while being evil/neutral.
See my reply to the other guy

Because that's completely stupid. Because everyone know you do shady things and they will quickly figure it out. Because they may rat on you, or beat you up. Because being evil and neutral doesn't mean you don't care about people you like.

There's a ton of reasons.

Nope, an evil PC can perfectly like his crew and agree to not steal from it.
Evil stupid is the problem.

>Because being evil and neutral doesn't mean you don't care about people you like.

>Because being a child molester (evil), doesn't mean you'll molest EVERY child.

Mkay.

>You don't need to share alignments to have trust
Real people can't even stand different taste opinions, they go to war over political ones. Why do you think they'd trust each other over different morality and psychological fabric?

I would accept it if someone was trying to FRAME the thief actually, but apparently that's not what is happening.

>That thief is a dead man and that's his own fault.
I'm who you replied to, and I 100% agree.

My point is, that thieves that steal from party members, and claim it's "IC", make me wonder why the other PC's would put up with their faggotry?

Suffer the exhaustion level to stake him out at night and stay awake but keep your eyes open enough to look asleep but still see who's doing it. Post up at camp away from the party and rest up against a tree.

Catch him in the act and cut one of his hands off.

>Why do you think they'd trust each other over different morality and psychological fabric?
Traditionally, there is some sort of overarching save the world quest in these games. Evil people are allowed to save the world just as much as Good people, even if their personal reasons for doing so differ.

That's completely beside the point.
But actually it's true, it doesn't mean you will molest every child, you may not molest the child of your brother because you like him.

And a thief or a thug will probably not steal or beat up his close friends. Having shitty morals doesn't mean you have no feelings and you don't care about anyone.

Don't understand your answer. I'm just giving reasons for a thief not to steal from his party, I'm not talking about the rogue PC

>That's completely beside the point.
>But actually it's true, it doesn't mean you will molest every child, you may not molest the child of your brother because you like him.

And do most decent people hang out with that guy? Trusting that "since he likes me and I'm his brother, he'll never diddle my kids"?

IMO, nope.

And that's completely beside the point.
I'm not defending the rogue PC, I'm not saying "well you should like him anyway!"
I'm saying that there is good reason for an evil people to not hurt his crew. Then, it depends on the group if they accept his criminal ways or not.

I would just like to add that if your solution involves killing the thief, the player will just make a new character determined to get even with you.

If you wear armor, you can store the money in your codpiece. Write this on your character sheet, but don't tell the DM. When the DM says you have less money, declare that you caught the thief when he attempted to steal and are now taking him to face the law, then point to the writing on the character sheet when the dm says it's not so. If he still insists the thief wasn't caught, get up from the table and leave, and tell everyone you know not to game with that dm.

A paladin could also appeal to the church for help, in the form of trueseeing and inquisitors.

Yeah and he isn't doing it. He's fucking with the party. I want to save the world, not take chances with criminals insane enough to steal from the party paladin.

> the player will just make a new character determined to get even with you
That we shall also smite.

Smiting the player would be quicker.

You must get the player to flip his shit first. THEN people will think you're justified. It's stupid but that's how groups of humans work.

Bury your real coin pouch somewhere and carry an identical decoy, except one filled with the medieval version of an ink pack they use in banks. Something nice and permanent that shoots forth when the coinpurse is opened. Might be a bit hard to find someone willing to make it to your specs and could get expensive but it's the best way of doing it.

>I'm saying that there is good reason for an evil people to not hurt his crew. Then, it depends on the group if they accept his criminal ways or not.

see
>Trusting that "since he likes me and I'm his brother, he'll never diddle my kids"?

Try something that makes noise. You want the Paladin to know.

place marked coins with Xs in your pouch. When the thief steals them from you, go rooting through his stuff while he's asleep (because of course you'd be suspicious of the thief when stuff goes missing and no one's around), you can then confirm that it was him.

The next reaction is probably expulsion from the party or death, depending on people's morality.

Are you drunk?
I never said that his crew SHOULD accept him, or WILL accept him.
I only said that an evil person can have reasons not to hurt his crew. THAT'S ALL.
Stop searching something else, you're moving the goalpost hard, or you forgot how to read.

Carve a scratch on everyone of your coins. Next time the rogue or another party member is unconscious quickly check their coin pouch to see if there are any coins with scratches in the same place so you can rule out who is/isn't the thief.

If you guys don't want to start shit stop insulting the OP for things he never even said in the first place.

>kicking out a sneaker
>not expecting him to sneak back and steal / kill

Just accuse him of stealing in-game. Unless this is the type of game where PC's can be persuaded with a high enough charisma.

You're point is invalid, because you're arguing against something that wasn't claimed.

An evil person CAN have reasons to not hurt his crew, just like a child molester CAN have reasons to not fuck a certain kid. PC's that have any common sense (or people in real life), wouldn't hang out, OR entrust their lives to such a person though.

Thus who the fuck would want someone like that in their group, ever? Unless the entire group was evil as well.

The sneaker has seen and participated in the party's utter beatdown of their enemies. Unless he's got zero sense of self-preservation, why the fuck would he risk getting on the receiving end of said beatdown?

Because assholes have to asshole. And evil has to evil.