So user, What's your favorite generic system ? For what reasons ?

So user, What's your favorite generic system ? For what reasons ?

Risus. It has like one page of rules and it's actually good. We can be done with character creation in less time than it would take to explain the rules in most other games.

You could build a better system in two pages of rules, but it would be less than twice as good as Risus.

GURPS. It just checks every box for me. The system covers almost everything I could want to run, no end of crunch to play with, a rock-solid core mechanic that everything else is built on top of, and an amazing community to boot.

Pathfinder
Tons of material
Interesting, balanced classes
Everyone knows it
No need to buy books
I've never seen the need to play any of these other hipster snowflake games when Pathfinder works perfectly for any possible type of game.

Strike!

Cause it's fast, fun and adaptable.

Savage Worlds for a bit more numbers/crunch. Fate Accelerated when I need a oneshot.

High five for having literally the opposite answer from me. ()

I really like GURPS's modularity, community, and the general quality level of supplements. I actually don't care much for the core mechanic though, since I find that modified dice rolls don't really give you more back than you put into them.

I'd like someone to come up with a generic core mechanic that can generate interesting mechanical situations on its own. Unfortunately the closest thing I can think of disk-flicking (like Catacombs), which is really silly.

Are you bumping your thread by trolling yourself? I invented that trick, I'll have you know.

>I'd like someone to come up with a generic core mechanic that can generate interesting mechanical situations on its own.

FFG star wars dice?

This. Strike! is just so much fun!

GURPS, in general it's really solid and I've spent a ton of time with it and there's still new stuff I want to do with it. My favorite part of it is probably chargen as it allows you to represents nearly every aspect of your character mechanically instead of every charter feeling like the same stuff with different skin like some other generic systems often do.

Sigil System, because I'm autistic about gritty and lethal systems that will kill off the PCs without me lifting a finger.

There's a reason so many systems exist! Not everything is for everyone.

GURPS can be run pretty slim, but IMO that misses the point. I'd at least need the full combat chapter and hit locations to be in play. Never tried RISUS, but I'm just not really one for systems smaller than Fate, and that's only as a GM (but it's damn good as a GM).

What's disk-flicking? Never heard of it.

GURPS, because I like all the details that you can put in if you want and if you don't want you can just take them out and make it very simple and basic.

I also like all the well researched supplements.

Finally, I like the fact that I can use GURPS and it's supplements not only to run a game, but also as a great aid when worldbuilding.

A ton of good work went into GURPS and several of its supplements I can recommend to people who aren't even running GURPS, because they're just so good.

ORE. The system covers actions real nice and allows the most room for creativity out of any system. If you manage to pass the steep learning curve when it comes to things like power-making, it's also the most fulfilling.

Mutants and Masterminds

I've been using that shit for everything lately

Also came to say ORE.
Quick, easy, and even though normally one of the existing ORE types (Wild Talents, Reign, A Dirty World, etc) will cover what you want it is pretty damned easy to make you own ORE anything, like the ORExulted, OREphius or StarORE guys did. It does seem to require you to make a bad ORE substitution in the name though.

Savage Worlds. The crunch level is just enough to offer some meat, but still able to be picked up by everyone at the table. It's also geared toward pulp enough to have some personality without being totally generic.

I'm working on running a Fate game now and that seems promising, but haven't played at all yet.

My OREgasm homebrew was a disaster though. Ever since then I've gone back to GURPS

Excuse me for asking this but do you happen to have a download link for the deluxe edition of Savage Worlds ?

the ones available in the Veeky Forums archive have suffered a copyright takedown

>OREgasm
No wonder it failed! There is no substitute for an orgasm.

Probably BRP. Simple, elegant d100.

>inb4 why is Veeky Forums shilling strike

OpenD6, and by extension Mini Six. Characters are lightweight and fast to create, difficulties are relatively easy to adjudicate, and it's easy to adapt most book and movie settings to it. Plus it's relatively easy to simply bolt on OpenD6 material to Mini Six.

Not him but in mediafire

/file/9a99jg3ngxqbu13/Savage_Worlds_-_Deluxe_Edition.pdf

I haven't played GURPS or Mini6, so I'm going to go with FATE, which I really like as a system.

>FFG star wars dice?
Had to look those up. They're not quite what I meant - it's a mechanical system for generating roleplay/storytelling prompts, not a mechanical system for generating mechanical nuance, but it's one of the best variants on the idea I've seen.

>What's disk-flicking?
See attached. Instead of a combat grid, your character is represented by a wooden disk. Instead of dice rolling, you resolve a melee attack by flicking your character at an enemy, and you hit if you hit. You resolve a ranged attack by grabbing an arrow token, putting it next to your character, and flicking that instead.

This instantly allows more nuance in positioning than normal games, because it gets help from physics. But it is also very silly.

>risus
For short campaigns / oneshots for the lulz
>fiasco
For oneshots without the need of a gm
>ore
That random character creation wets my pants
>Cypher system
For GMing without having to do to much work on encounter/npc stats and balance

Stop shilling Strike!

Why does Veeky Forums keep shilling Strike!?

You'll know user. You'll find your game as well, one day.

GURPS, I can do anything with it.*

*Except for vehicles.

Fuck you, 3e Vehicles is unironically awesome.

It's a pain in the ass to convert to 4e.

Vehicles are easy in 4e, there's no book on them but they provide a decent amount in the basic set and statting them is not very hard. Even then I'm pretty sure there's a fan made pdf of a bunch of vehicles.

So you mean things like the Shot Clock from Aces Eights. Never really been one for this sort of thing, feels really gimmicky and slow in play.

Hero system fifth edition but I never see anyone talk about it. Currently engrossing myself in gurps though. Seems pretty neat just have to convince my group to try it

WaRP.
Because I know it by heart, is easy and adaptable. The backside would be that even I, as someone who prefers rules lite and narrativist games, can prefer some more crunch at times, but there are other systems for that. This is a perfect pick-up-no-prep game for one shots (and probably campaigns, but I haven't used it for that yet)

I like to think Mythras counts, at least for my purposes. More focused than the BRP system to be sure, but it's got the right level of crunch to payoff ratio for me.

I actually used to really like Mini Six and the D6 System, but the more I ran it the more I realized the designers didn't know statistics at all.

mini six and ORE

mini six for simplicity I think its back in print

ORE because I found the mechanics interesting

GURPS or WaRP, D6 is cool too, HQ2 is fun. FATE is for literal cucks.

Hero System 6th edition but I'm OK with Savage World's too.

I've never seen any RPG system that I was really satisfied with as it regards vehicles. It's honestly part of why I want to run a GURPS game in an Age of Steam-style setting. Trains, steamboats, and zeppelins are almost more of set pieces than vehicles, from a narrative perspective.

Out of the three listed, I like Fate. A lot. There's not much you can't do with Fate.

My favorite example for something to do in Fate is Evangelion. With the kids' issues and character concepts as aspects, you can milk a lot of stuff. Right when the characters are going to get together or actually solve a personal problem, that's when you hit them with a Compel to fuck things up. Social combat can deal social stress, getting hurt in the Eva causes mental stress, and even the city itself has stress tracks- Structural, Integrity, and Finance. The OD can call in a bunch of N2 bombs, but that causes the city to take financial damage. Or the angel starts attacking the geofront, dealing structural damage to the city. You have to rush to get to the Angel, but you have to smash through a skyscraper or two, causing the city to take Integrity damage.

Still not sure how I'd model the Evas themselves, though. I do know they'd have their own aspects when being piloted... but the aspects would all be hidden from their players, and when compelled, The GM would just offer the player a fate point.

Have you considered using Camelot Trigger from Fate Worlds II? Mecha have five systems, internal and external, which can do different things like give you Fighting at +4 while inside your mech, Stress takes out systems (your or their or both's choice, depending on amount) instead of injuring your character, and some other stuff.

I just downloaded and read through the system. It looks like a lot of fun, and losing getting all of your systems damaged through combat looks like a really good way for shit to go seriously wrong. (Oh no, your armor's still wrecked from the last fight and there's an Angel coming up off the beach). And if they choose not to let their systems get wrecked, instead they take mental stress.

I like it. Thanks, user!

Glad to help. You should make a proper Fate Evangelion write-up to share with others. It'd certainly be nice to point someone to a worked example besides AdEva when the question comes up.

Yeah- a large reason why I started working on Fate Evangelion is because AdEva was so horrible. It didn't really touch on anything actually relevant to Evangelion, very much, and it's much too crunchy for a something where characterization and roleplaying is so important

That sums up AdEva. It has no idea what Evangelion is, and doesn't engage it in any meaningful way. Dark Heresy was the second worst system they could've used. I'll be cautiously, yet optimistically waiting for the Fate Evangelion PDF.

It probably won't happen anytime soon. I'm not anywhere near close to done-
I'm still mostly in the concept stages, and I'm pretty busy.

For example, I'm still considering how to deal with the Operations Director. Since they have a lot of important duties that, well, involve the rest of the characters, it would probably be best to make them a player, and thus able to make those decisions without seeming like a DMPC. But on the other hand, giving one player so much more power than the others- even if they don't get their own giant robot- is something I'm leery of.

I'm considering just allowing the players to work together to make the OD, complete with aspects, and if they really think something's important enough they can compel the OD.

Generally depends. Modifying a D100 roll under of choice usually works for more combat focused games, but for games more focused on things like detective work or character interaction, something like FATE is better, as the system is pretty light and pushes for that kind of thing.

WaRP is good but in my opinion risus offers much of the same feeling with less boilerplate for oneshots. But at the same time the transition from crunchy to ultra lite games is easier with WaRP

Have you considered Mecha vs Kaiju Fate Core Edition?

I like it a lot better than Camelot Trigger personally, and the Kaiju rules have some good ideas for making single-opponent fights much more difficult for a group of players.

Never heard of it. Got a link? The one in da archive (an old edition but I have no desire to look at that 3dpd cover) links to a malware site.

FATE. It's easy to learn, easy to teach, easy to mod, easy to alter on the fly, and easy to run. To me, the most important things in a game system are simplicity and adaptability, and it has those things down pretty pat.

What's the best d100 generic system?

FATAL. It's easy to learn, easy to teach, easy to mod, easy to alter on the fly, and easy to run. To me, the most important things in a game system are simplicity and adaptability, and it has those things down pretty pat.

>wets my pants

Anyone got a link to ORE?

Dark Heresy. It's easy to learn, easy to teach, easy to mod, easy to alter on the fly, and easy to run. To me, the most important things in a game system are simplicity and adaptability, and it has those things down pretty pat.

Sigil System. It's easy to learn, easy to teach, easy to mod, easy to alter on the fly, and easy to run. To me, the most important things in a game system are simplicity and adaptability, and it has those things down pretty pat.

I know you're trolling, but there is truth to what you say.
Pathfinder is not an accessible game in the sense that there is a financial or physical barrier to entry. The reason is that it does not hold the 'pick up and play' game that a lot of groups like to run.
Otherwise, if you have a friend who knows it well people can have a grand old time. The rules work for basically any situation.
>inb4 classes are unbalanced
No shit.

>The rules work for basically any situation so long as that situation is high fantasy dungeon crawling
FTFY

Nah, even for that, it doesn't really work.

This desu senpai muthafucka

WEG SW 1e

Has anyone actually tried Fate?

Played twice. Was ok. I'm pretty sure we didn't play it right, though.

Played a few times, its okay for a no planning one shot, but its a bit too rules light to the point where everything feels a tad insubstantial.

I'm a big fan of Mythras/Runequest6. Although it might be considered cheating because I tweak/homebrew a few things and cut down a lot of the complexity. I basically like skills as percentiles, rolling for stats, and classless. There is something so satisfying about it.

I also really like Minisix, but I haven't had a chance to actually play it.

Isn't it strange that everyone who loves Warhammer RP also seems to have a fascination with cuckoldry?

Interesting... interesting indeed....

If you play RPGs for the G, Fate isn't for you. It's too fluffy, there's no mechanical distinction between one Aspect and the next, and adding on to Fate to start making it crunchy makes you wonder why you're using Fate at all. Strands of Fate/Power is a bit better since it has some real crunch.

If you play RPGs for the RP, and don't like or care about the G part, Fate is perfect for you since the mechanics easily melt into the background during play. There's no need to worry about builds or viability, because optimized characters are interesting ones, which you'll already be making.

I have. I played a bunch of Dresden Files, which uses the Fate system, and some space opera homebrew using Fate core.

It's a lot of fun. Aspects might seem a bit vague at first, but once you know how to leverage it, it's even better. Our party once used all of our actions to throw another character into the air- all of us applying different forms of a 'boost' aspect, and then that final character tagged each aspect to attack someone from above and essentially obliterate them in a single turn.

Then there's also the stress track system. It's awesome. I love it a lot. Even if it just looks like 'mental/social HP' at first, it's a good way to make fights scary- due to consequences- and yet not immediately dangerous unless you take a bunch of stress.

I don't quite agree with , but what he says isn't *too* wrong. The big thing about Fate is that the fluff *is* the crunch, with aspects and stunts. It is pretty mechanically light, though. If you're used to D&D or GURPS, then Fate probably seems like a marshmallow or a cloud in comparison.

I don't consider the fluff to be crunch when there's no meaningful distinction between tagging one aspect and the next. They all provide a +2 bonus or a re-roll. Succeeding with style gives two free invocations as opposed to one, again both just worth +2 or a re-roll. There's no granularity there, nothing really separates one action from the next except the fluff, which is just about as exciting as fluff your tenth full attack in a D&D combat. It's boring, although that's my personal opinion.

>I don't consider the fluff to be crunch when there's no meaningful distinction between tagging one aspect and the next.
If you can't see how "slippery floor" might work differently from "burning building", there's not much helping you, yo.

Okay, I JUST gave up MiniSix because it's retarded easy to make broken characters that are basically killing machines, but I can't go back to OSR because my players are too whiny babies to handle high lethality and want to be more anime.

Sell me on Strike!. I WANT you to shill me. What is it, how does the system work, is it good for anime settings without letting players get retarded powerful, and should I play it?

Nothing separates them when the system itself doesn't separate them from giving you +2 to attack someone afflicted by them, dude.

>Nothing separates them when the system itself doesn't separate them from giving you +2 to attack someone afflicted by them, dude.
Clearly you haven't played the game.

The core use of aspects is affecting play through facts. The statistical bonuses are a secondary benefit to the way they shape the setting, characters, and everything else they are tied to. If you have a consequence labeled "missing an arm", then you can't use both of your arms anymore. This doesn't have a unique mechanical benefit tied to it, but you can't do anything that contradicts already-established facts either.

So yes, plenty separates them. Just not numbers on dice rolls. Burning building can burn you, can collapse on you, can light shit on fire... slippery floor can make you slip, can inconvenience passers-by, and is significantly different from said burning building.

I've played Dresden as well for a bit over a year. It was a bit hard adjusting at first due to all the DnD, but then I really liked the game.
I generally agree although the way you put it is a bit harsh. But it works really well for many types of games. Not all ofc.

What he means is there is no numerical mechanical effect/difference. And that is indeed correct. There is a definite story/logic difference, but there is no numerical translation for it. And that's fine. And if people don't like that, that's fine too.

>What he means is there is no numerical mechanical effect/difference.
I'd agree numerically, but disagree mechanically. As I mentioned before, an aspect of "missing arm" can very much affect the mechanics of play, especially combat. A popped tire can have an effect on a car chase. That the bonuses don't change does not mean the effect is identical.

Yes that is what I said, there isn't a different numerical mechanical effect, but there are story/logic/whatever-you-want-to-call-them mechanical effects.

summed it up. I have no desire to play Fate because it feels like nothing I do actually matters when it comes down to the dice. It really kills my motivation to be creative when it's all watered down to the same end.

>Yes that is what I said, there isn't a different numerical mechanical effect, but there are story/logic/whatever-you-want-to-call-them mechanical effects.
Those story/logic/whatever-you-want-to-call-them effects are HUGE. That's pretty much the focus of what an aspect is. You might as well be saying that all Magic the Gathering cards work the same, because they're printed on cardboard.

>I have no desire to play Fate because it feels like nothing I do actually matters when it comes down to the dice. It really kills my motivation to be creative when it's all watered down to the same end.
That's fair. If the only measure you have of what you're doing is the dice roll, then Fate probably isn't for you. It's more for adjudicating a group story session than for playing something like D&D, where every feat has some value to play and every choice has a direct and different effect on numbers.

>It's more for adjudicating a group story session than for playing something like D&D, where every feat has some value to play and every choice has a direct and different effect on numbers.
Yup, it focuses on the RP in RPG. It just doesn't suit my playstyle. As a GM, it's good because of how loose it is, allowing me a lot of freedom in running a game that won't fit the crunchier systems I run/play, or being able to fit an idea that other systems couldn't do as well.

>Yup, it focuses on the RP in RPG.
I disagree with that. They simply went with a simple G, rather than a complex one.

If what you were saying were true, the game would be unbalanced and poorly play in general. It doesn't. But it's not exactly a tactically-minded game, and I don't see anybody using it for competitive play.

Played a fair bit of it when it first came out, first Spirit Of The Century and then bolting aspects onto other systems.

Aspects are brilliant in a lot of ways - a free-form input field with sensible mechanical rules, and something you optimize by making an interesting, dynamic character. But the game is just that and a skill system, and even a particularly good skill system. Also the combat is absolute garbage, a slow back and forth that lasts way longer than you can prop up with interesting actions. I hear later versions made combat take way fewer rounds so that's probably much better.

My group started playing Risus + Aspects for a while, which we liked better, but we eventually switched to pure Risus so who knows.

>Sell me on Strike!. I WANT you to shill me. What is it,

Strike! is a 4e retroclone sort of thing. Imagine if you took D&D and then removed most everything that's a legacy of D&D (such as stats, the d20, etc.), and kept all the stuff that made 4e good.

>how does the system work,

Very simple. Basically everything is a d6 roll, or d6 with advantage/disadvantage. Out of combat the result is some combination of twist/cost/success/bonus, based on what you rolled and if you are trained in the skill. The skill system is overall pretty light and freeform-y, but you got a bunch of optional systems to make it a bit more complex.

Combat meanwhile is grid based tactical skirmish style, but similarly simple. Your combat and skills are mostly separate, so if you want to play, say, an accountant who btw fights like a ninja, you totally can.

Pic related explains in detail.

>is it good for anime settings without letting players get retarded powerful,

Yes, especially if you don't let them abuse skills.

> and should I play it?

If nothing here turns you off, I'd give it a try.

there no one main rule book for

the tool kit is probably the closest thing to one

Thanks, mate.

I just wish the fucking rulebook wasn't so badly written.

>D&D 4 retroclone

But since it's inspired by D&D 4 isn't it more like a miniature game rather than a rpg one ?

Stop shilling Strike!

Why does Veeky Forums keep shilling Strike!?

>Strike! is a 4e retroclone sort of thing
Dropped

Fate.

I tried both Fate and Savage Worlds, they are both neat, but I find Fate more complete without being more complex and I have an odd feeling sometimes with Savage Worlds, as magic class also needs a lot of tweaking to work properly without being too OP from the start.

Fate is just perfect, if you want more complicated and deep rules you just add them yourself, if you want a lighter system, you just use it as it is.

Is... is this how it feels to be popular?

The rulebook really is meh..

>Strike! is a 4e retroclone sort of thing.
>It's a retroclone!
>Don't have almost anything from D&D 4e, beyond "lolTacticalCombat!11"

Are you even trying?

There is any way to make building your own power less... arcane?

Not really, it is the one big downside of Wild Talents as well as an upside. Learning it to begin with can be tricky at times but it's fairly instinctual when you get it and you really can use it to do nearly anything.

bump

It takes more than that. It takes design principles for things like balance (between characters and between the party and the world), playability, and even presentation.

Retroclone could be considered to be misnomer because it's not a "clone", but it's also often used for distillations of a formula, and that's what Strike! is.

>It takes design principles for things like balance (between characters and between the party and the world)
What principles exactly?

Mini Six
BRP
D20
Risus
Savage Worlds

4e was the first D&D to consciously design characters in a way where they can contribute to each part of play as equals, and then focused on defining roles and role protection _within_ those parts, instead of between them.

In combat, this means the striker/defender/leader/controller setup, with each role getting its own niche. Out of combat, it means that the wizard can't just butt into the Rogue's skills, and that everyone gets at least some form of utility. Classes are also more unique just on account of not actually using shared spell lists and similar mechanics so much, but they are kept on the same playing field because of using similar advancement and distributions of power.

4e went with designing the world (monsters, traps, etc.) in relation to the players, and not sweat the details too much. This meant using them to fill similar niches, with some extra stuff to make players feel like big damn heroes, like minions/elites/solos.

These are the two big ones imo, that Strike! carried over. There's loads of other things (like having a framework for non-combat challenges, or for improvising actions in combat), and a bunch of things it changed (dropping/replacing dailies and surges, splitting classes and roles), but it carries on the spirit.