Why are bug races so uncommon? Even when they do show up, it is usually as the bad guys in both sci-fi and fantasy...

Why are bug races so uncommon? Even when they do show up, it is usually as the bad guys in both sci-fi and fantasy. When's a bugger gonna get the respect they deserve and stop being relegated to the stock weird hostile menace?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Frontiers
starfrontiers.wikia.com/wiki/Vrusk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They were decently displayed in District 9.

The Mantid Paragons in World of Warcraft are pretty dope. Sucks that you had to kill them after they were your bros.

I was very fond of the Klaxxi from Warcraft, but they fell into the stock evil bug race towards the end.

I think people are less inclined towards them because bugs are typically perceived as a nuisance, not something you'd want to play as in a game.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Frontiers

starfrontiers.wikia.com/wiki/Vrusk

Often times there is a queen that needs to be protected or a hivemind in charge of everyone. In either case, the thing prioritized is survival and continuation of the whole. This very easily translates into perceiving other people as threats who need to immediately need to be taken care of.

Because you can't fuck them. Fantasy races are chosen with compatible genitals in mind.

user, those were crustaceans.

Because most people perceive bugs as vermin. They are alien and many-legged, infesting every single nook and cranny they can live in. They cause property damage, they consume our food, they envenom and spread pestilence and disease. When someone hears bug, they think of something negative that they should squish before anything else.

This. It's why bug races tend to be hostile. Because the way the bug mind works it's very much a lot of surviving and reproducing. It's their main strength because it allows them to evolve quickly. Whereas Orcs, humans, and elves among others are pretty much based on hominids of some kind who survive on strength, cooperation (which some bugs have too), and intelligence and rely a lot less on just quickly breeding to survive long term.

I find that insect races are very often written to be parallels of far eastern cultures. I wonder why that is.

Name 78 (seventy eight) settings that do this

Nigger i doubt I could name 78 (seventy eight) settings at all.

You just aren't trying hard enough then

Ideas for cool, heroic, sexy or otherwise awesome and non-creepy/vilanous bug races:

Dragonfly race of adrenaline junkies. Hot-blooded and prideful of their physical gifts of flight, vision and reflex, they spend their lives in constant pursuit of new and exciting experiences.

Ladybug race who are live under the belief that they are divinely ordained to protect the world by consuming evil. Boisterous and jovial by nature, they are typically nomadic, living their lives in pursuit of some variety of crusade or other.

Vampiric Mosquito race, physically delicate with slender and graceful forms and a languid and casual disposition that brings to mind a Cajun Con-artist. Naturally selfish with little care for collateral harm they cause, but with a lust for life and satisfaction of their desires which can prove infectious and intoxicating to those around them.

Cicada race who are immortal by means of infinite reincarnation despite individually short. Philosophically preoccupied with transience in all things contrasted by the desire to accomplish something or worth in each life, and artistically inclined by nature.

I guess they just bug people too much

These are cool.

What about that eight-legged bugs PC race from dark sun? Forgot what their name was.

Thri-kreen. And yes, those are pretty interesting.

Because insects in nature are harsher and far more cutthroat than we are. Their environment and lives are as alien as can be from us, even if we can get the basic premise of what it's like to be them. Many of them a predatory, and are therefor displayed as predators when made even remotely sapient. Plus they look weird at a glance. That makes for compelling design qualities when trying to visualize how strange and different the enemy is from the protagonists.

Long story short; predatory insects make for good predatory people. Even in Sectaurs the predator bugs were the bad guys, and everyone was the bug people there in some fashion.

Hivemind in a bug thread. Oh, the irony.