Other urls found in this thread:

forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Epic_magic
youtube.com/watch?v=wypBX5GCpF8
themonstersknow.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>New game starting
>Everyone wants to play fighters or warlocks or barbarians
>Nobody wants to be a wizard or a cleric
This is going to be a very tough campaign.

Alright lads question time:
>What are some of the things you like about 5e or that it does well]

>What are some improvements you'd like to see or have already implemented in your own games?

>Zuggtmoy
>qt

If everybody becomes a warlock, there's some great synergy there.

I think you mean it's going to be an awesome sword & sorcery campaign.

forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Epic_magic

If I'm a Darkling Elder, and I cast Darkness and have a high Stealth skill, what are the mechanics that I can dick around with? Does it allow me to hide during combat? Can I sneak attack others with advantage, because they also get bonus to their attack when they get advantage. I'm just a little fuzzy on the stealth and stealth attack mechanics when they are combined with spells like Darkness and Fog.

Why the hell does Padded Armor impose disadvantage on stealth checks, whereas a chain shirt doesnt?

It's not like the padded jacket is made of plastic or vinly and is gonna squeak when you walk.

Chain shirt is gonna jingle since it's not chain mail, which has padding underneath and is strapped into place.

A really short one too, once we meet a roper or a wyvern, and it starts one-shotting us due to nobody casting a control spell on it.

None of the armour makes sense anyway. What the hell is studded leather?

It's basically fantasy stuff, it's not really supposed to make sense.

Faerun I suppose? My DM's letting me make up my country though, provided I give enough backstory. We're playing Curse of Strahd, so where we start doesn't seem so vital.

>He's such a scrub that he can't handle a roper without a control spell on it

Inb4 I was merely pretending to be retarded

You need to take the hide action, doesn't matter if the enemy can't even see you because you have invisibility, they can still hear you, and will know where you are

>What the hell is studded leather?
Always assumed its supposed to be brigandines.

I think 5e doesn't really excel at anything compared to other editions of D&D. Caster supremacy is mitigated from 3.5 but the fact that it even exists already puts it below every edition besides 3.5. Combat is possibly the blandest in any edition so far and definitely less engaging than 4e despite MMO memes. Social mechanics still virtually non-existent but probably inferior to 4e due to skill challenges. Nothing to say about dungeon delving except that it's worse-suited for it than TSR editions (and 4e due to skill challenges). Lowest power since WotC which can be good. It's just a compromise between everything that came before.

I'd like more variant rules to be able to customize the game for different types of campaign, and generally more class archetypes to pick from. UA Ranger still needs polishing. Warlocks need to stop spinning around eldritch blast somehow (even counting UA, you need to build a whole character from the ground up to fit Hexblade whereas Eldritch Blast is much more effective and only requires a cantrip and an invocation).

This seems to be the case. Just plain leather with studs in it doesn't seem to actually be any more useful than standard leather from what I can find.

Lots of comparisons to Brigandines tho

Go ahead and show me how a party without casters kills a roper on level 3.
>inb4 it's not my job to educate you, it's so obvious!

>Social mechanics still virtually non-existent but probably inferior to 4e due to skill challenges.

Care to elaborate on this point? Also why do you dislike skill challenges and possibly an example?

Opportunity attacks specify line of sight. You can move out of 5 ft of an enemy in Darkness without an opportunity attack if they dont have blindsight, tremorsight, etc.

If you can see in darkness you have advantage on attacks and attacks against you (from blinded enemies) have disadvantage.

5e tries to be as inclusive and casual-friendly as possible so obviously they had to make a lot of compromises. i don't particularly think a simpler, more straightforward game is worse and they won't ever address it because they want everyone to take what they want and build from there.

there's no need for social mechanics, because everything can be adapted to the current game's context, stopping a lot of the bullshit that made 3.5 and pathfinder so insufferable to play.

i honestly feel it is a step in the right direction, memes aside, 5e has the best chance at long term survivability and mainstream breaking through.

Not him but I don't see how that would be a problem at all.

Tactics, using ranged weaponry and cover to try and keep from getting snagged after the initial surprise.

Keep it distracted with a barbarian while others get into a position, use a rope if you need it to stay for some random reason since it only moves like 10ft.

Our group handled this with only a warlock in our party for magic, we just knew for our martials to carry around ranged options, have the heavy armor up in his face with the barb.

It is when all you think about is caster supremecy and how the game is unplayable without one. Just need to be inventive and prepared for situations.

>Peek out of cover
>It used prepared action to catch you
>Keep it distracted with barbarian
>For some reason, roper doesn't want to fight honorably and eats your rogue instead

ranger, archer fighter, kite it from a distance. it can only move 10 ft and has a reach of 50 ft so any bow or (not hand) crossbow is enough to outrange it.

What I mean is I don't even see how that's a situation that requires you to be inventive. Seems really straightforward.

Thoughts?

Harpoon up (read: trident), yank the fucker down and beat it to death.

has a good one too. Fuck corners. It will get to either ignore the angry meatwall beating down on its craggy ass or try to rope another target in.

>preparing a multiattack action
how about no.

the roper can only bite once per round and the tendrils can only reel 25ft out of his 50ft reach with an action and deal no damage.

At least studded leather still makes more sense than the ring mail....

I wanna use the brigandine in place of "studded leather" but it'd kind of go against the "no metal" rule of druids moreso than a supposed leather armor with a few studs in it....

What doesn't make sense about ring armour? It was pretty commonplace.

All right guys, I'm a first timer DM with first timer players, we've been running lost mines of phandelver
And in the Dragon encounter in Thundertree I've let one of my players convince the dragon to fuck off and take Wyvern Tor as it's new lair instead of residing in this tower.
Have I done it wrong, with letting them avoid the encounter?

I'm just an outsider here, but should you really be sending 3rd level PCs up against a Roper, let alone a wyvern?

I mean, by the guidelines in the DMG, and assuming a party of 6, a roper would be a deadly encounter.

No, but I hope you didn't make it too easy. You shouldn't solve an encounter with a hostile enemy with a single persuasion check, it should be a skill challenge instead.

>Always play one type of character, not class, because it works well
>Want to change that
>Can't move out of my niche
Help. How do you do character concepts?

What is the niche? I hope it isn't lone wolf that doesn't like talking to anymore

I know that feel, bro, my group is mocking me and calling me a christfag because I keep playing a super-religious characters.

Was it?
I tried to research it and mostly I found some plain jackets with rings in it from fantasy movies ( the one-handed guy in Hawk The Slayer, Berek in the second D&D movie...), one sketch of some supposed armours on Wikipedia and some fancrafted armour that was still mostly leather, but hardly anything I'd call "heavy".
If you have some good ressources on ring mail I'd love to see em.

I mean besides "it's tradition" druids not wearing metalnis bullshit anyway. The only reason it really mattered was because it used to do screwy stuff to their nature magic. But they don't even say why in 5e, they just don't wear metal because they don't

I've had one of my players actually discuss shit with me, instead of rolling, and he did a bloody well job of discussing with a dragon seeking a new nice lair. It kinda helped that I made Wyvern Tor a pretty spacious cave.

Serious and driven, with a sense of humor.

No, but this is the first mention of the player characters being 3rd level, per I operated from the assumption that the encounter would be challenging at worst. Still, assuming again, a warlock can provide the necessary disadvantages for the rest to capitalize upon.

>Prepares an action
>Does no damage to meatwall hacking into it
>Everyone else gets to hit it without fear of snagged for a round
>Person breaks free then moves right back into cover

Sounds like a pretty one sided fight in the parties favor if that's how it's being run.

Reminder that there's no such thing as "religious" in a setting where gods demonstrably exist.
Your characters are "devout."

There are no surviving examples as far as I know, but its construction was scale armour with rings. I'd they didn't survive because the rings were latter re-purposed to make chain when that became more affordable, but who knows.
I forgot it was heavy armour, though. I'm not sure how that makes sense considering scale armour is medium armour.
Maybe by "ring mail" they mean chain with larger rings.

Posting from the previous thread:

> I keep bouncing back and forth between French aristocracy and Black Adam isolationism when trying to conceive where my Oath of the Crown paladin is from and what he's like. Any ideas or advice on where I should go with it?

DM's letting me make my own country as far as that's concerned. It just has to be "in D&D". Since we're doing Curse of Strahd I thought about being from Borca or something but then the DM said we're outsiders to Ravenloft, so no dice there.

where can I get stats for dragons that aren't in the MM, like gem dragons and mercury dragons?

Tome of beasts has some dragons, but i guess your best bet is getting them from any past edition/pathfinder and using any of the many conversion tools/guidelines.

Yeah it's really the "heavy" aspect I take issue with....
In AD&D the armor was on par with the "studded leather", which makes more sense to me.

>Rings repurposed to make chain
That doesn't make any sense. You'd have to cut open the rings to mesh them with each other.
The most reasonable explanation is that ring armor did not, in fact, exist, because it provides no sort of advantage over things like scale armor, which is incredibly ancient.

Great White Hunter. Using a heavy crossbow unless your GM allows blackpowder weapons.

You want to hunt monsters and take trophies, to show off civilization's grandeur.

Makes sense, since studded leather armor did not historically exist either.

It's doable, it would fucking suck but it can be done if your party prepares for the fact that at best with a warlock you have a pseudo caster and at worst a eb turret all day everyday.

Then again my DM gives us a range of stuff to work with like terrain and objects in the environment when he throws pretty tough challenges at us. Also helps we stock up on options for fighting a range of things instead of a very narrow focus.

So what are some cool ideas for a great sea setting full of islands?
l will definetely include wyvern riders and crazy ships.
Any cool concepts l could steal from the Spelljammer setting?

Consolidated Character Options user, could you post them please?

I'm going from which came afterwards.

There are records of its construction from Asia. It was likely a predecessor to scale armour.
Unlike studded leather armour it wasn't pulled out of someone's ass.

Play a character who is simply out for the pleasures in life, be it fine wine, pleasurable company, or just enjoying a warm summers day.

Really relaxed and laid back, never takes things too seriously except on rare occasions where it'd get him in a bad situation.

>Roper hiding out above a cave stream
>As stalactite, feeds on fish
>Yummy adventurers show up
>Tendril->Reel->Bite
>If they escape from the tendril, after reeled, they take falling damage.
>Stalactite Roper is far better than Stalagmite

It has a climb speed, long reach, and can hide as any sort of cave formation. All Ropers should be ceiling ropers.

>All Ropers should be ceiling ropers.
Does anyone ever use Ropers as anything but Ceiling Ropers?

>obligatory magical maelstrom
>moving island/giant turtle
>dinosaur island
>big fucking volcano, à la krakatoa
>islands controled by various kinds of dragons, their regional effects shape the islands to their will - easy way to create diversity of biomes

Do you have a source for that? I'm searching and literally the only example of "ring armor" I can find is a single suit of supposedly Japanese armor, which is far from enough to be convincing.
Kind of like with ball-and-chain flails

My ropers are wall ropers. Ceilings have piercers and cloakers.

>My ropers are wall ropers. Ceilings have piercers and cloakers.
I hope you mean at the same time.

What that guy said is generally true. However, magical darkness (darkness made through spells; non-natural darkness) blocks ANY kind of vision-based sight. In other words, even darkvision doesn't work in magical darkness. you need blindsight/tremorsense, true sight, or enhanced darkvision (sometimes called demon or devil sight; most commonly had by demons/devils or warlocks with a specific invocation).

>tfw can't decide between artificer and sorcerer
I like the concept of both but they also seem rather shit and severely limited compared to other casters. Am I missing something?

Nope, neat concept but mechanically shit compared to other casters, is a accurate description.
Neither of them are so bad to not be viable though, so I don't think it matters much unless you have a extremly high performing group.

that's great, ty

Whats the best race for an Oath of the Ancients paladin?

Artificer is not really a caster, it's more like a rogue with some spells

And sorcerers suck

Half-elf.

Half-Orc

Fall damage works two ways.

Can we talk about how busted Horizon Walker is?

Half-Elf. Played one that multiclassed with Warlock and worshipped fey.

Human, elf (wood or high), any half-human, gnome

You are allowed, just don't throw random baity one-sentence posts about it

Half-Dwarf

Are there any artificer homebrews floating around that you know of that make it a bit more viable without getting silly?

Is Hobgoblin a pc race in 5th? I'm this user

There are rules for it in Volos Guide to Monsters

It is in Volo's guide to monsters I think

All classes/sub-classes are fun to play and are viable unless you're playing with a group of filthy degenerate min-maxers.
Prove me wrong.

Check out Volo's Monster Guide in the trove. Hobgoblins are there.

With a few exceptions

It's in Volo's Guide, but as a monster race I'd say you need to ok it with your DM first

Champion exists

>Sombrero of Disguise
youtube.com/watch?v=wypBX5GCpF8

Champion isn't bad, and I used it to play a Spartan type character in a one shot. Probably would get boring if I was playing for a few months, but you just need to be creative.
Beastmaster Ranger (PHB) though... And a lot of stuff from SCAG...

>He hasn't played a Fighter Macgyver champion

You're missing out senpai

>Champion isn't bad
The problem with Champion is that there is no real reason to play it instead of Battle Master.

Wouldn't McGyver be more of a 'brainy' Battle Master though?
I could think of a vague narrative nieche for Champions, but it certainly wouldn't be a smart Fighter.
Though maybe Macgyver Fighter would be Eldritch Blade.

would it be stupid to ask if this could be linked in the OP? I just recently found it, and it's super useful for new DM's, helps if you have no clue about squad tactics and such. very helpful if your players are moping the floor with your encounters:

themonstersknow.com

Crit fishing. A second fighting style.

>I'd rather focus on roleplaying than combat mechanics
>I want to cheese critical hits
>I want a character with as little resource management/depletion as possible
>I'm playing in an exploration-heavy game that requires a lot of physical ability checks

Technically yes and no, as a battlemaster you're just using abilities, as a champion you have to jury rig shit together and come up with ideas on the fly.

Although it could work for both but I did champion and had a blast.

So, my low level group just found a quite good magical item, but none of them know that you have to attune one for it to work, so they think it's probably just something cursed (they felt a special aura coming form the item).

They are planning to sell it on town as soon as they get there. I don't want to railroad, so I'm rolling with this. Should I warn them somehow that they might regret this, or no?

Gem Dragons of Faerun on the DM's guild is setting agnostic in spite of it's name.

Yeah mother-may-I is pretty fun, but it's hardly a unique thing for the champion

Nope, they should've read the fucking book.

Their characters don't know....