MtG: Wombo Combo

Haven't seen a wombo combo thread in a while.

Other urls found in this thread:

magiccards.info/rule/616-interaction-of-replacement-and-or-prevention-effects.html
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-94-20-tix-modern-possibility-storm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Obligatory

worldgorger dragon + animate dead

Combat Celebrant and Splinter Twin

>swing
>untap
>clone Combat Celebrant
>swing again
>untap
>repeat
>infinite combat phases
>infinitely more attackers

Wouldn't this check the name after exiling?

Close, but no cigar. No life is gained, the life total is changed entirely.

>118.5. If an effect sets a player’s life total to a specific number, the player gains or loses the necessary amount of life to end up with the new total.

different guy here, how does that interact with stuff like Alhammarret's Archive or Dictate of the twin gods?

Say I use that beacon of immortality to go from 20 to 40, therefore i gain 20 life, which means Alhammaret's triggers and i gain 40 and end up at 60 instead.
Or since it says the necessary amount of life, would i only gain 10 which is to be doubled to 20 so i end up at 40?

And what about the opposite event, what if i go from 40 to 20 from something, i lose 20 life, with Dictate out, would i lose all my life?

I'm all for Junky combos, specially in pauper

I feel you, nigga.

magiccards.info/rule/616-interaction-of-replacement-and-or-prevention-effects.html

tl;dr they will all apply, usually.
>Say I use that beacon of immortality to go from 20 to 40, therefore i gain 20 life, which means Alhammaret's triggers and i gain 40 and end up at 60 instead.
Yes, that would happen.
>And what about the opposite event, what if i go from 40 to 20 from something, i lose 20 life, with Dictate out, would i lose all my life?
Yep. Double damage effects with Heartless Hidetsugu's activation results in everyone on even life dying and everyone on odd life landing on 1, for example.

So it goes like this. The effect, as part of its resolution, attempts to do what it says. In the case of Beacon of Immortality, that's setting your life to 2X where X is your current life. It converts into action by gaining X life. Then, before that can occur, it would be replaced by Alhammarret's Archive which doubles this gain, and so you gain 2X in addition to your current X, tripling your life total. Replacement effects occur at the last stage of resolution.

I'll probably get shit for this, I don't know, but there used to be a site called "Magic Deck Vortex" and it was the shit because it had a section for combos neatly organized on what where you looking for, iirc combos about:
>damage
>card draw
>creatures
>infinite; life, mana, turns, etc

Is there a cool website like that?

I didnt mean from cards that explicitly say deal damage, but if it interacts with setting life to a number.
Like Blessed Wind or something in a commander game, would cause that player to lose 20 life (assuming starting life total), would that still trigger the Dictate.

I'm asking this because of this:
>118.9. Some triggered abilities are written, “Whenever [a player] gains life, . . . .” Such abilities are treated as though they are written, “Whenever a source causes [a player] to gain life, . . . .” If a player gains 0 life, no life gain event has occurred, and these abilities won’t trigger.
And I'm not sure if the same is true for the damage effect. Does it rewrite "If a source would deal damage... " into "If a source would cause loss of life", or is there a difference?

My favourite Freed target is Izzet Boilerworks.

>I didnt mean from cards that explicitly say deal damage, but if it interacts with setting life to a number.
>Like Blessed Wind or something in a commander game, would cause that player to lose 20 life (assuming starting life total), would that still trigger the Dictate.
Well, then, no, because that would be life loss, not damage, and Dictate of the Twin Gods only doubles damage.
>Does it rewrite "If a source would deal damage... " into "If a source would cause loss of life", or is there a difference?
Put simply, loss of life isn't damage. Damage causes loss of life, but damage is its own word with its own associated rules.

Thanks for the answers.

As answered.
TO add:

118.5. If an effect sets a player’s life total to a specific number, the player gains or loses the necessary
amount of life to end up with the new total.

Rip Cat Winter

Also, have a favorite of mine

>does literally nothing

>32 replies
>no one has posted the best combo

Wtf Veeky Forums?

I actually used to play RUG Defenders on pauper. The idea was to add infinite mana and deal X damage to my opponent. Blue was there just for the Freed.

I'll see if i can make an image of the combo for you guys.

No, it doesn't DO anything

i accidentally discovered this during a game when i copied him

Use conjuror's closet. Then mastodon can actually attack and you aren't down 7 mana each of those turns.

That's the basic idea my deck was going for.

>be at game store with buddy
>guy comes up wearing 1000 bracelets on his arm and a hat like the guy in Gorillaz
>hey do you guys want to play commander with me and 2 other guys
>ok
>set up and play
>turn 3 he pulls some shit like this, he probably cheated to get the hand since he was fucking around with his deck so much
>has about 500 myr tokens with him, all very dirty
>puts them on the field
>ok we're going to have a very friendly game, if you want anything untapped just ask
>play a few rounds, he pretty much stops us from doing damage, just lets us kill creatues and stuff
>use lifelink to get over 50 life
>pay 50 life to deal him 50 damage with that one card from kaladesh
>he has tap creature for lifegain too
>i say game is over, his friends agree
>never went back

least fun game I have ever played

I hope you're trolling, because that combo wouldn't work.

You'll only get one extra combat phase, because when you bring in the next Celebrant, it will do a check to see if a Celebrant exerted. Since you're in the next combat phase and a Celebrant has been exerted, the new copy can't exert

It does this, for starters

It would work. Celebrant's clause doesn't care if another Celebrant has been exerted, only if that specific Celebrant has been exerted. The Gatherer rulings specifically mention multiple Celebrants attacking for multiple phases.

Behold! The only use for Alms Beast!

Usually, there would a reference for "this creature" or something along those lines if it cared just for itself being exerted. It's really coming off as a "Namesake" clause that checks for a creature of the same name that's been exerted.

If it's the other way around, that sounds like fun shenanigans.

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-94-20-tix-modern-possibility-storm

For extra meme value, make sure the card you name is Sarpadian Empire Volume viii

If it just says the card's name, it only cares about that individual card.
In order to care about every card with the same name, it has to say 'if a card named CARDNAME' or similar.

Fastbond+Cloudstone Curio+Grazing Gladehart= infinite mana+life. Add Crucible of Worlds and cycling lands for infinite card draw.

Personally I think Prosperity+Words of Wind would be a fun finish just because all players would have clean boards and their decks as hands.

Form of the Dragon
Harmless Offering (or Donate)
Brand

Become dragon
Before end step make opponent dragon
During enemy turn become dragon again

I used to play this in Zedruu EDH.

you're not thinking big enough
ruling: use its name as it leaves the battlefield

I don't get it.

You. I like you.

Not really a combo but

stations are cheating

Station combos are really cool.

>You can't win, because you cannot defeat what is not there to fight.

Oh that's smart.

Conspiracy is a fun card for fun purposes.

You either win with your 357/11, or you win on your extra turn because they had a blocker

>winning with combat damage
Lame. Why win now when you can win next turn?

Unfortunately, you can't target Emrakul with the blades. Fortunately, you can still successfully cast them without a target because zero target creatures is "up to two".

That's only if the Spawnsire doesn't have summoning sickness.

Not my fault they should've gone with Shields instead of Blades.
Spawnsire is still a legal target

How does the legend rule interact with the stack, and how should you stack the triggers? Do you have to go Emrakul > Blades x175 > Emrakul, or can you go Emrakul > Emrakul > Blades x175?

You need all the blades to resolve and be put into your graveyard before one of the Emrakuls is put in. As long as the second Emrakul is the last thing being cast, you're fine no matter where the first was.

can somebody explain this one to me?

wait nvm i get it now

I didn't even realize this combo when I put the deck together. Usually only get to do this once per playgroup, but it's still fun.

Judges aren't players. Checkmate planeswalker.

This doesn't work. The cost reduction is {1}, this doesn't account for any colored mana.

Also you're casting gravecrawler, not activating one of it's abillities.

You've missed the entire point.

You use the embalming tools to mill, not to lower gravecrawler's cost. Gravecrawler needs 1 mana, and phyrexian altar generates 1 mana

Yeah, I was stupid. I've seen Ashnod's altar instead of Phyrexian.

Yeah, it wouldn't work at all with Ashnod's.

Need to add nevermaker

Just checked the gatherer, it only cares about the specific combat celebrant that was exerted, other combat celebrants can exert for additional combat phases.

I assume you're a Yugioh player, since that kind of wording would prevent multiples from working together in Yugioh, but that's not the case in MtG.

Avacyn + Worldslayer

Explain

Honestly this seems a little weak overall unless you have field control already. You have to constantly upkeep the five mana every turn to keep your turn going, and if you don't have a win condition outside of that, you're essentially fucked. Sure I guess you could try waiting your opponent out, but taking the extra turns seems redundant really unless you're just showing off.

Infinite turns means you'll eventually draw enough lands and enough cards that you'll be able to just make a board presence.

You'll also be rebuilding your board essentially from a 5 mana disadvantage the whole time. Seems ineffective when you can just outright win with 3-4 mana using most combos and two cards.

Bolas plz

Who cares, when you are taking all the turns?
You've won at that point, unless you've got no way to win in your deck. You are playing solitaire Magic now.
You've already won.

What the fuck am I reading

The problem with commander is that it only takes one fuckhead to ruin everyone's game and waste their time. Every bloody game at my college is 40 minutes of actual commander fun, people using weird combos and screwing around, making alliances and having a good time, then somebody pulls a combo out of their ass and that's it, the game is just over, literally nothing you could have done about it.
It's a self-destructive mindset. People stopped showing up when every game ended with some insta-win, when all they wanted to do was have fun.

How does the game end if no one wins?

I think his issue is less with people winning, and more with people pulling out cards others are not familiar with to set off unstoppable combos that make the entire game up to that point irrelevant.
Basically what he's saying is that they seem to be unaware that trickery and deception are not the only ways to achieve victory in battle! And what the future of MTG needs right now is not to play THEIR game, but to indulge in the simpleness of a mortal, human mind!

"Ya'll need Rescue Cat", basically.

That's fucking dumb. I love it.

I fell in love with that combo.

absolute shit combo honestly. you would need a way to produce a shit load of colored mana to really do anything with it and at that point your combo is so thin a single card would probably break it unless you have been sand bagging a lot of answers. if you somehow managed to pull it off your opponent(s) deserve to lose