EDH/Commander General

Previous Thread
RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
What deck/s do you not know how to build?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-04-17-JPF-jhoira-of-the-ghitu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Everytime i build a deck that can win its considered oppressive, every time i build a weaker deck it doesnt have enough answers. Basically Idk how to make a fair deck.

Fuck Sheldon.

>What deck/s do you not know how to build?
Boros. How the fuck are you supposed to beat removal in a 4 or 5 player game?

flash and redirects.

It just seems like all of Boros's tricks are so situational. Seems like every time I leave mana open for Boros Charm, I get blown out by exile/sac effects, every time I hold mana open for Wild Richochet, I get blown out by board wipes, and every time I hold mana open for Deflecting Palm. I get blown out by tokens.

I know Sunforger is pretty great, but everything else seems so situational at best.

This. I've tried to build Boros like 10 times and I don't understand how it works. I get hit stuff with big stuff. I get mana rocks to shit out mana. How do I draw cards? How do I recursion? How do I do literally anything. I run a feldon deck and it's both fantastic and incredibly simple; loot, feldon, then smash face until I can hardcast my fatties. The closest I got to boroswas nu-avacyn voltron and indestructible tribal, but I made felon Out of that deck and a pile of rakdos discard.

I also can't build rakdos. I tried my hardest but I just can't figure it out.

Feldon had a hard life. Also, those buttons on his clothes look like eyes. Creepy.

he obviously sucks, but i want to make the best malfegor deck possible. what sort of build should i go with, and what cards would go into the absolute best malfegor deck?

Lots of Hellbent stuff I assume.

You didn't name the general OP. If you're make a new thread then do it right.

2/10 fucks given. Funny, but not a big deal.

Do you have daretti, new chandra and both nahiris? Your white cards will get you a relatively good early game and your red cards all have to function as control. It also helps to have a meta that tries to win with big sorceries like rite of replication or with huge alpha stikes like prossh. Also i cant remember the name of it but that enchantment that lets you exile your plains out of the library is also a good way to get good card advantage. Also as a final thought you really have to get that sunforger or a good lockdown card out asap, its better if its bloodmoon but it has to be something even if its just ghostly prison.

Oh fuck I forgot, you gotta play reb, pyroblast and lapse of certainty

endless horizons is awful if it ever gets removed. I prefer land tax. T1 land tax is the best thing ever.

>Thread Question
Mono colour decks. Each colour lacks a vital skill, meaning I am left wanting when surrounded by 2+ colour decks. Doesn't help that I'm a massive Timmy, so I'm not great at building competitively too.

It is really bad to get it removed, but thats why you have to always present a fork. Play boros like you would play monoblue and it you will get better results. Also kalemne the facesitter is a reasonable clock, I enjoy my avacyn deck but if you want to be competetive and play boros you gotta get kalemne. I had a game where I balled out with a turn 1 serra ascendant a t2 bloodmoon and won by turn 7 with an elesh norn. I was able to lock everyone out because their non basics were fucked and everyone had a -3/-3 anthem while my dudes were +5/+5 indestructible flying lifelinking vigilant doublestrikers.

Just fucking win the game. Ignore the fucks who say its oppressive, let'em step up their game.

9/10 times I'd agree with you but Im pretty much the primary warping force of our meta, which while its fun for me was getting oppressive as fuck for some people who have been playing magic since before mirrodin. I still win often enough but people were starting to build decks that were built just to stop me instead of winning, which just resulted in everyone having a bad time.

Go solider tribal with Tajic. It's not really boros though as 90% of soldiers and solider payoff cards are white but having an indestructible beatstick in the command zone is worth splashing red.

You guys have any advice to build a not too degenerate but no too shitty Zur deck?

i'm in the same boat, hence
it feels icky building a 75% deck because i'm leaving out powerful and fun cards that i own and would really like to be playing. i'm hoping that a 100% malfegor build will be on the level of my playgroup.

Well, in my meta I was the warping force but everyone just decided to step up, so it ended up being positive in a way.

Don't.

define "not too degenerate"

make sure to triple-sleeve the deck in giant card protectors so that it takes extra long to shuffle. run every fetchland and tutor you can. try to get to the point where you're shuffling your deck 4-5 times on every player's turn.

this is your goal.

I was trying to respond to a other players attempt to getting the playgroup to step up the meta, it has unfortunately backfired and left me as the only one ramping up and getting more powerful cards. If the scenario was different I'd be cool with it but instead I just became that guy.

Dunno man, I usually would think that evolving in playstyle is what should happen, sure keeping a casual deck in hand is good, but how long have you guys been playing? A year or two? if longer, honestly I still can't see how people didn't try and make the game more competitive.

Is there a way to properly Praetor's Grasp on Cockatrice?

jesus fucking christ what the fuck?

I really want to know how that's shuffled

>Tfw the table lets you get Snake Umbra on Borborgymos with Abundance on the field.

Ive been playing for a few years but my playgroup is a bunch of oldgaurds who just wanted to enjoy edh. Unfortunately for them I cracked a fow, a mox opal, wastelands, all the good tutors and a bunch of other vintage level cards. My very first box had a jace and a foil days undoing in it. Ive basically retired 3 edh decks for being too dumb and I currently have 6 decks with two of those decks undergoing heavy maintinence. One for being too strong and the other is still being finalized.

Not really, nope. They'd have to somehow give you control over their entire library, you pick a card from it and keep it face-down, then give them their entire library back.

Depends how much money the group is comfortable spending. My group generally just plays old cards or stuff we get doing home drafts except for the one guy who we got into mtg but now netdecks everything and drops a bunch of cash and frequents the lgs. 60 Card decks I have optimized do fine against him but his edh decks are all expensive and obnoxious while I'm running pretty much a cobbled together Rashmi deck that would take over 100 to optimize

Fuck. I have an Iona to steal but I want to do it all stealth.

So do I buy cards online only?

no store has even half of any deck

Never buy offline dude.

>60 card
>netdecks
Maybe you shouldn't play arbitrary casual shit if you aren't fine with people bringing whatever they want.

If you can't shuffle this with just your two hands unassisted then you have little baby-man hands.

What is a good first commander to build? I'm looking for cheap casting cost and aggro. I was looking at Alesha, any other suggestions?

alesha is usually better built as aristocrats/combo as she only brings back smaller things. give mayael a try

Ok cool, i'll check out mayeal

Good commander to just play fatties and bash? I realized that I have control decks, voltron decks, and all kinds of shit but no good old fashioned "here are creatures and i will hit you with them" decks.

i'm a big fan of xenagos for that. makes your dudes hastey AND huge. nothing like dropping atarka and immediately swinging for 24

See
Mayeal is a great general for that stuff. You get a lot great options for fatties to cheat out.

Xenagos looks hard to pass up. I realize he's not cheating them in but damn is that stompy. Ruric thar is up there too

just put ruric thar in your xenagod deck and smash for 12 when he comes into play

Omnath locus of rage, Its hard to fight against 5/5s that explode.

I can't build outside of aggro. I'm a huge shitter and prefer for tribal to lay the ground work for what I'm doing and for keeping synergy tight. Conbos are far above me and just blow me away when you guys figure them out. Decks that are extremely creature light, like jeskai stax, I dunno how you guys get a win without creatures, it's beyond me. Just one huge fireball? All my friends play aggro creature heavy too, so you're worlds away

>build UR deck
>the premise is that I shit out a bunch of token generators that activate upon casting an instant or sorcery (like young pyro or talrand)
>play against friends
>become public enemy number one

Feels... mixed man.

But you like it though? Drop in Propaganda and whatever, let them attack you. Do something with Grapeshot, and Curiosity + Niv and kill everyone every game

rakdos is pretty gnarly with some big ass eldrazis.
xenagos is good for some wild hits and with green you can ramp for some big ass beasties in an earlier round.

Have you tested the other izzet commanders over her? I've always wanted to build izzet spells linger but not sure who I want at the helm

You can try Mizzix but I like Jori En because of her consistent card draw early game. Getting cards is pretty important and setting up the necessary creatures/enchantments (metallurgic summonings) to go off is vital to the success of the deck.

Hell yeah. They figured out that I'm fairly weak to board wipes even with counters in hand, and have also become used to identifying the main threats in my deck so that removal is simpler.

It just took a little for them to adapt, but it's still a beast to take down.

mizzix walkers is better

That's like an entirely different deck though. It might not be as fun.

So my lgs has 2-4 copies of each of the commander 2016 precons, for 35$ a pop.
I feel like that's low, can I make money off of this somehow?

Easily. The Atraxa precon is going for much higher on the market.

Should I just eBay them? Open and sell them as singles?

Mizzix walkers is great, flashing out a jace, teferi or ral zarek with flash and then main phasing a deepglow skate into an ultimate just feels right.

Got a list?

Got a list? I run Jori En with the same strategy.

I was thinking of swapping to Shu Yun just just so I could run Monastery Mentor and swap some counterspells out for more token support.

Silvos, Rogue Elemental Devotion. The pinnacle of plain old fashioned facesmashery.

Is there a way to not make a broken Meren of Clan Nel Toth? A guy at my LGS has a cutthroat Meren deck and it's insane how fast he can clear a field with recurring fleshbag and tear up hands with mindslicer..

Use bad cards.

She falls really easily to hate.

play vanilla creatures

That sounds just like a build made for pure value and nothing else, not really that cutthroat in my opinion. Real cutthroat Meren builds run stax and turn 3 combos like Mike+Trike or Mike+Phyrexian Devourer+Necrotic Ooze with Buried Alive to tutor them up.

Whoops, typo, i meant Trike+Devourer+Ooze

I just came back to MTG:O after a long break and found all my commander decks weren't legal. Apparently stuff like Sol Ring and Mana Crypt are banned in commander? 30 health now too? Is there a list of these changes, I'm having trouble finding them.

Literally Google it. It all goes away in a month. Normal EDH is a unaffected. If you supported MODO you get what you deserve, the client is an abomination and is only allowed to survive in it's current state because tards support it still.

I had basically the same situation with Borborgymos with Snake Umbra AND Keen Sense on him. I just killed everyone else in one turn. It was really boring and tedious and afterwards I took the deck apart and built something new.

> What decks do you not know how to build?

For the life of me I do not know how to build storm, my storm builds just never work.

Taking apart my Karador since it was neither fun to play with nor against and there's now enough regular EDH players at my FLGS that I no longer need a "break glass in case of tryhards" deck. Now I'm considering putting this dude in Roon, but there's not really anything to fetch after he gets my souls sisters, so there's no fun in blinking him.

Take a shitty tier 5 commander and try to make him 100%. It's what I do.

Any monowhite. The best monowhite can manage in my eyes is creating an oppressive army, killing one player and then get completely dunked by a boardwipe leaving you with a near-empty hand. It doesn't help that white's cards are generally super boring to use. "oh boy a tax enchantment" "oh boy a flying goodstuff angel" "oh boy lifegain" it's all super unexciting.

Play thraben inspector, uvenwald mysteries and ongoing investifation. Mite b cool to get all those clues and 1/1 soldiers.

>soul sisters in EDH
Literally why?
There's plenty of actually useful creatures with 1 cmc, like Mother of Runes, Mikaeus, any of the good mana dorks, Protean Hydra, Kytheon (kind of), Devoted Caretaker, Heritage Druid if you play elves, Ivy Elemental or Endless one, Magus of Candlelabra, Planar Guide (really important for any ETB deck), Rhys the Redeemed, Serra Ascendant, Sylvan Safekeeper, Ulvenwald Tracker and Weathered Wayfarer just with a quick search.
There's obviously more, but I just looked through rares and mythics.

>Literally why?
Because if you didn't play a blink deck, you still get a bajilionty life off of them in multiplayer. You've obviously never seen them in action.

Sure, but that's assuming everyone plays a bunch of creatures and they're only good for lifegain, which is by itself pretty useless strategy.
You can use it to feed Necropotence or something, but there's way better things to use for that and I'd rather use Suture Priest anyway, even though it's not tutorable by Ranger and costs 1 more, but is infinitely more useful.
That said, it's probably a meta thing and you play in a Timmy meta, but they would be useless in each of my playgroups, and my groups aren't even all that competitive

Can't build a control deck to save my life. UW just isn't my thing.

I've found that Boros requires a tricky bit of politics to pull off properly. I usually don't play my Boros deck (Aurelia at the helm) unless the Prossh Deck and/or the Bruna deck and/or the Skittles deck are also making an appearance. Aurelia is "the Dreaded" in my meta, but when she's up against an Eldrazi Conscripted Bruna or a regular Prossh, sudden all that removal doesn't go flying directly at her, in case someone else needs to eat it.

Deflecting Palm, Comeuppance, and Mirror Strike are godsends. Especially the last one since it redirects the damage as-is rather than prevents it and then the spell itself deals the damage.

Also MLD. You're not gonna wanna hear it, but blowing up lands once you've established a decent board presence is generally your best bet. Just don't be one of those retards that turn fours an Armageddon because you didn't have another play. Those guys are assholes.

I play the sisters because I play karlov and they are the fucking best

With unca Karl Marx mafia man it's fine, since he gets benefit from multiple small triggers. However, this was about Roon, where they are less powerful and less useful overall.
The synergy is there, but it doesn't come even close the synergy with Karlov

Don't forget the sisters trigger From your opponents.

If there's even just one token player, you're already thinking about a massive comfy pillow of life coming your way for the low cost of 1 mana.

Fair enough, although I think I did better with my Neheb Minotaur tribal against 4 storm decks with Oppression and Bloodchief Ascension active

Is it an asshole play to armageddon turn 4 when you have about 8 lands in hand due to land tax?

I'm sure your opponents would think so, but as a Boros player I've done that before to secure the win.

yidris, every iteration of that deck i make is either garbage or gets hated off the table. im thinking about just making it storm

>Yidris
>Not storm

Seriously, what the fuck have you been doing with it that wasn't storm? Did you just try to build as much anti synergy as possible and do lands or voltron or something else equally stupid?

i just dont have any storm cards desu

Hellbent, madness, and making other people discard.
It's definitely doable and may prove to be decent.
As people have stated, Xenagos, Rakdos, and both Omnaths.
I play all of them.

>Have Warstorm Surge out
>Have Vicious Shadows out
>Have a big Hangerback Walker out
>Have Blasphemous Act and Inferno in hand
>Literally one spell from blowing the shit out of both these nerds
>They pass turn
>Fuck yeah I'm going to win.jpg
>Play Blasphemous Act
>Counterspell
>Play Inferno
>Counterspell from the other guy
>Well fuck, oh well I'm still alright, next turn I'll figure it out.
>Pass turn
>Cyclonic Rift
>Wheel of Fortune

Well fuck. Just can't catch a break. There's nothing worse than being insanely close to winning over and over again only to be set back constantly.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-04-17-JPF-jhoira-of-the-ghitu/

thoughts on this deck? anything i could do to really improve it without spending much more money? i want to keep the total under 350 if possible

You know how legacy Miracles played control with their hand and library? Library control is my favourite concept in the entire game, Scroll Rack, Sensei's Top, Counterbalance, Lantern of Insight, I love it. For a long time I've wanted to make an Arjun deck where you cantrip cycle through your deck, memorize card positions effectively negating the randomness of card draw and digging up anything you need.

I absolutely love the concept of the deck but 1. my memory is not good enough to play it efficiently and 2. the deck tends to be a bit of fancy do-nothing as I've found out the plan has a serious deckbuilding cost to it.

Opinions on my new Maelstrom Wanderer? This deck is soo fun to play.

Any broken cards or combos I should be aware of?

Could try coming up with something original for the first time in your entire life that might be the better play I don't know.

Also fucking Training Grounds you idiot.

>Could try coming up with something original

maybe you can give an example