Sci-fi/science fantasy arms and armor

A thread for arms and armor for sci-fi/science-fantasy settings.

Also, thread questions. Which of these would you prefer?

Your setting makes use of "smart matter" to generate bullets for you. It's not unlimited but vastly increases the amount of ammo you can carry.

Would this best accomplished through a magazine that had the technology integrated into it? (as in, the magazine will regenerate the bullets via smart matter when not connected to the weapon) The process is slower and you have to keep the magazines on hand with you. Or, you have a devices that can produce a disposable magzine with bullets in them but that reduces the amount of "Smart matter" used to create bullets because it has to create the magazine as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zk-UCHsyTh4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>0

The idea of making new bullets on the spot seems sort of jarring. If you already have the matter anyway, why are you not just carrying it in bullet form to begin with?

Unless your gun has multiple firing modes, like a Judge Dredd gun, in which case being able to keep your options open with a universal ammo makes some kind of sense.

The clever solution is something you wear on your belt or back where you plug in a magazine and it fills it with new bullets. Instead of treating the magazine as disposable and creating a new one every time, you just fill that up and plug it in.

This way you can have two magazines and swap between them. The one your gun is using, and the one that is filling up from the ammodock.

>The idea of making new bullets on the spot seems sort of jarring. If you already have the matter anyway, why are you not just carrying it in bullet form to begin with?

I would think that depends on the situation. If you know you're going to be far away from a potential resupply of the smart matter then it makes sense to make the bullets already in case something happens to the machine that does it.

On the otherhand, I could see such a system for short duration missions. You carry more ammo without wasting space on your person to carry them thus allowing you to carry more of other stuff.

This all depends on what you can do with the "smart matter" bullets and how customizable they are. It makes sense to have a standard mold and something upscale that lets you create different bullet types as well (i.e having something that can make both buck shot and solid slugs for example)

Gaiz Gaiz!
I just had a super silly idea!

What if there was this revolver with 7 shots, and when you cocked the hammer the barrel would spin and on the side would be something like 777, -bar-, joker, ect.!

And each shot would do a different thing! And if somebody says, lol, thats stupid, you just say nano-nano! (nanotech! Its the wave of the future!)

shit. thats awesome. so jelly.

I would totally sign up for a cybered up body to operate like that

Ya, he's one of my favorite artists.

Time for a retro-sci fi one. Model 181 Service Autorevolver.

Destiny, the setting where you go the image and I assume concept from, seems to utilize disposable magazines. However I would assume that the material that went into these magazines is recycled and not actually thrown away, so there wouldn't really be any net loss vs only replicating the bullets.

Is that one of those automatic revolvers? I don't grasp the purpose of it sliding back along the grip.
Destiny is all over the place especially when you look at guns like MIDAS multi tool where the actual placement of the magazine doesn't corrolate with the bullets going into the chamber. Then again I just assume the magazine powers the gun and allows it to make bullets in the chamber hence no casings popping out of it. Neverminding the Zhalo Super Cell

Every single hand cannon in destiny, even stuff like the Last Word, have magazines somehow. You pop an entire cylinder out of the gun and put a new one in.

I assume it's some kind of smart matter, given the entire City seems to run on the stuff.

Pretty sure the Omolon weapons give you a picture of what is going on inside the human weapons.
>Magazine contains smart matter fluid
>Fluid is drawn into the weapon
>Weapon turns smart matter into bullets which are fed directly into chamber

Just how much did your mother drink while you were in the oven?

The detailing in the weapons supports that idea, they cylinders all have little nipples on them .

Scout rifles in general don't make sense

Pulse Rifle designs are absolute sex though

not enough to leave it running

Don't forget the fact that the ammunition you put into the rocket launchers is actually smaller than the projectiles it fires.

>I don't grasp the purpose of it sliding back along the grip.
It's recoil operated, the barrel and cylinder go back from the recoil to turn the cylinder and re-cock the hammer.

It's pretty much the Webley Fosbery and Mateba revolver

youtube.com/watch?v=zk-UCHsyTh4

This problem gets exponentially worse when you have rocket launchers with mutli-rocket magazines.

Guy who posted the pic here: In the context I had it drawn for, autorevolvers are preferred because women dominate the military, and the lighter trigger pull makes the gun much more user friendly.

Matriarchal culture with no historical links to Earth. Is that enough for you?

>lighter trigger pull
>#triggered
Joke wrote itself

Kind of looks like it's a break open.
Can you tell me more about the setting that revolver is in?

1920s-esque science fiction, with airships, tesla death rays, and mecha. Themes include nationalism, monarchy in the modern age, and lesbianism.

You have my attention.

I remember reading a science fiction book by some italian dude where all guns had been condensed into a single rifle-like device.

These rifles were fed bars of metal that fitted into the rifle much like a modern magazine does, but the metal itself was the material being consumed by the gun as it fired.

What mattered was that these metal bars could be programmed via a computer located inside the brain of the soldiers linked up with their rifles in order to create any kind of ammo instantaneously, things like flechettes, incendiary, miniature rockets, explosives, subsonic or whatever.

That by itself was pretty cool, but there was one part I particularly liked where the protagonist programs his rifle to fire in two bursts, converting the first into an explosive while the second was fired as a hail of flechettes in order to overcome the problem of dealing with an enemy that makes use of some sort of energy shield that regenerates instants after being knocked down.

That's kind of what I imagine this kind of "universal ammo" would be used for, instant exchanging of ammunition without needing to reload or change weapons.

Keep an eye out for a novel titled "Crowned in Lightning", I hope to publish sometime next year or the year after.

In the meantime, enjoy this mech, the Kiserran Warsuit Mk. II, first operational mecha used in warfare. (The Mk I was just a tech demonstrator and testbed)

i swear to god, the expanse has some fucking sick ass designs

>tfw these lifeforms are still using smart matter
What's the matter, Guardians? Still can't do something as simple as create a wormhole into a star to be directed by the focusing array of your weapon when you fire it?

like the map but you lost me with >lesbianism

If it helps, it's not over the top or even sexual in the comic, just that the main couple is both girls.

But then how does babby formed?

Yeah, but you can't figure out how to be paracausal so you'll never actually win. Guardians make their own fate, Vex bitch.

Well, since one of the two is a Princess, this actually is a significant issue, but a society with both hereditary rule and frequent homosexuality naturally develops solutions. They end up adopting, since there's no need for the heir to be of her own body.

Kraut space magic.

Also, we know from Roman history this is a sure fire way to have not-shit successors. Compare adopted sons to natural born ones and you'll start to see a pattern.

Well something must be wrong with that wormhole because you sure do run out of ammo quick with that thing.

I've never actually heard that, but I suppose it makes sense, especially if you adopt them older, because they won't just assume that everything is owed to them - they were chosen for a reason. I'll be sure to emphasize that, if I write that far.

Icebreaker sniper rifle was better anyway.

is that sarcasm?

Because I kind of remember part of the problems rome had was as loooong successions of imperial dynasties came about.

Well, the most obvious is Augustus being adopted but there's also the line of the Five Good Emperor's which stops when Marcus Aurelius dies before picking a successor. His son, Commodus, is widely regarded as pretty shit and is the go-to name for petulant young emperors in psuedo/historical fiction like Gladiator.

Bugger off, we'll bootleg godhood eventually.

There dynasties yeah, but the from what I remember the most prosperous times are almost always the result of adopted sons ruling. Though, there were sometimes problems with that. Commodus died before any proper heir could be picked so there was then the ridiculous Year of Five Emperors.

>Bootleg into godhood
>After getting bent over and fucked by the Hive

Even if Crota was a fuck up you still couldn't do jack shit.

You have infinite energy, perfect control over time, and the ability to write things out of existence. A bunch of manatees with bolters are still more of a threat than you are. Go home Axis Mind, you're clearly drunk.

How was crota a fuck up?

the only gun that matters is Bad Juju.

i'll kill Ghaul just for taking that away from me.

Didn't conquer earth and got killed three times. Once permanently.

Has anyone on Veeky Forums tried doing a Destiny homebrew of some kind? It has a lot of potential as a tabletop game setting. This is actually the first time I've seen it pop up around these parts though, but I might just not be paying enough attention.

>the only gun that matters is Bad Juju.
You take that back you slut.

These threads have come up from time to time. The biggest problem is ultimately how to handle classes/subclasses and things like skills.

Crota was daddy's littel failure.

He wasn't nearly as awesome as his two sisters who not only developed the Death Song but also developed a number of technologies such as the the giant sphere that makes it harder to kill you as well as the super weapon that Oryx uses in the intro where he fights the Reef Born awoken.

There is a story where Oryx lets a Wizard into his court because she literally ran circles around Crota after he said he could fuck her up no problem.

And finally, thinking he was being smart like his sisters, he cut open a hole in their father's throne world that let the vex in in the first place (this was actually Savathun's doing as she tricked Crota into doing it). He and his sisters tried to fight them off but it took Oryx coming back and curb stomping them to get the vex out finally and Oryx picked Crota up by the legs and threw his ass in the hole saying "Come back a champion or don't come back at all!"

and those thousands of Guardians that Crota slew during the war for the Moon? apparently, back then, Guardians were a lot more numerous, but a lot less powerful. his one major victory in our system is killing a bunch of near-normals with an army at his back and trapping six under-prepared Guardians under the surface of the Moon--and he couldn't even kill more than four of them.

Toland is still jetting around his Oversoul pocket dimension and he hasn't even squashed him after all that time.

>Guardians were a lot more numerous, but a lot less powerful.
What do you base that latter point on?

Toland was in Oryx's throne world too. I think they were keeping him as a pet or something.

>Guardians were a lot more numerous, but a lot less powerful.
Could you cite that please? Not doubting that your right but I haven't come across anything saying that the older generation of guardians are less powerful.

It's not that they were less powerful, They just had no idea what they were getting into. When Shaxx encountered them he immediately tried to stop them from doing the raid because they weren't prepared for the way the Hive fought and they paid for it dearly.

Toland though twisted was the guy who knew what the fuck was up but he certainly let his curiosity get ahead of him such that he wanted to get his booty call with Ir Yut and he got it which allows him to swim around in the Hive Netherrealm

He wasn't being kept as a pet, he's just hanging out there and can still talk to us and I firmly beilieve he still talks to Eris via the rock she carries around.

Look at this stupid piece of crap. It's using the format of the bullpup p90, but the ammo and barrel have been forced past the trigger. Not to mention the barrel itself is actually shorter here. You've got a weapon with twice the length with the accuracy of a pistol at best, using absurdly sized ammo for that length that isn't going to hit a damn thing.beyond 20m or so. Utter garbage.

I mean, Oryx probably could have gotten rid of him pretty easily. But he chose not to for whatever reason.

the mcrn looked fucking amazing

nothing i can point to offhand but i remember vaguely reading something that said it. plus everything you hear about past Guardians, especially Rezyl Azzir, suggests that they struggled with basic enemies--a few Acolytes, a Knight, and a Wizard; Rasputinian Frames; Vandals--and any major manipulation of Light, like supers, is treated as a major event. which i admit is likely mostly writing flair, but still.

and it makes sense, considering that Guardians tap directly from the Traveller. the more Guardians, the less Traveller tap.

>Toland though twisted
>Toland
>twisted
I bet the Speaker taught you that, didn't he? It's all part of the grand conspiracy to keep us guardians in line. Same reason Osiris was banished. WAKE UP SHEEPLE.

They don't seem to act like they know he's there and make no mention of a human swimming around in their after life so who knows.

For the game mechanics the different sub classes are segregated with individual abilities but lore wise there's nothing that says you can't know these abilities all at once. Hell, One of the Iron Lords who was a warlock did a Titan Shoulder charge and outright says he learned it from Jolder who was a Titan. That said, there's nothing stopping you from hyperfocusing on a specific set of powers to become a really powerful user of a subclass but I imagine it more like how you have a wizard who uses a number of spells from different schools as opposed to just being a necromancer or a summoner for example.

You must be one of those Shadows of Yor types. Ever here of a guy named Kylo Ren?

I've actually been working on a Destiny tabletop project on and off for a long time. Started some time before Taken King came out, but honestly haven't made that much. I originally started it off as a homebrew for the FFG Star Wars system, but I've ended up making a lot of changes and tweaks to the system overall.

The way I've handled classes and subclasses is to make Titan/Hunter/Warlock main classes, while all of the subclasses are specializations that you pick during character creation.

GAS THE ELIKSNI
FINAL WAR NOW

and Dredgen Yor was a Titan as Rezyl Azzir, but as Dredgen Yor he seems to be a Hunter, considering pretty much everything related to him is a Hunter item, and hand cannons are a Hunter specialty.

The 4 arms have been cucked into servitude by Prince Uldrin Brother. Our new enemy are the cleft lipped rhinos

There is that, Rezyl Azzir was a badass Titan and then started acting like a Hunter when he fully gave in to his Darkness.

Then again, if using the Darkness is a thing in Destiny 2 who the hell knows what that means or will mean because all we know about the Dredgens is that they have fanboy boners for Yor and went out of their way to make replica Throns. That said they did say if they go bad they fully expect other hunters to kill them.

Kill Eliksni? Kill... Variks?

No. Kill Cabal, maybe, or Hive, yes, yesss. But Variks and Guardians are... friendssss, hn-hn-hn.

And Variks is Eliksni now.

Fate had us meet as foes, but the coming Darkness will make us brothers.

Have anything that you can share? Even if there isn't much done crunch wise I'm sure it could potentially get the ball rolling on something.

Fuck. I really hope they don't make us use darkness powers in the next game. The Sky is the harder way. But it is kinder.

I really like the way the leg armor is set up

There is nothing I fear more than the Dark.

But I will not lose another Guardian.

The Darkness is coming. Soon. You think we'll defeat it with ordinary human soldiers? This isn't a war ordinary humans can win. This is the fate of reality itself. Death's an inconvenience now. Nothing more.

Dear God, the noguns nonsense in this post makes my eyes bleed.
That's not a p90 nor does it use the same system, it's an AR platform with similar furniture, ergo nothing was forced anywhere it's supposed to be that way and your understanding of ammunition and accuracy is horrid, this is what's called a Short Barreled Rifle and while I wouldn't use that cartridge for it it is a perfectly capable rifle for close quarters engagements.

Alright fine, you can live, but you better have more lines in the next game.

post yfw you intercept a communication from the Cabal Emperor and he says "crush them, oh soldiers mine..."