Warmasters Triumvirate

Filling the ranks edition

Warmasters Triumvirate is an attempt at creation yet another 40k AU. The Primarchs have changed, and instead of appointing a single Warmaster upon returning to Terra, the Emperor leaves the Great Crusade in the care of three of his sons. This eventually culminates in a civil war between Loyalists, Chaos Traitors and Seperatists...

Previous thread:
Accepted legions:
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14hqd6RLLgvLdYCIoLCHhQkidgXIsKUzrugyWu6pthEM/edit?ts=5915bf14#gid=0

Wiki page:
None yet

To do list:
>Decide upon the exact number of legions we're aiming for
>Fill up the three factions as evenly as possible
>Continue fluffing out the legions we already have
>Decide on who the three Warmasters are
>Make sure the Chaos Gods are properly represented

Want to join? Start out with these basic questions:
>Name
>Primarch
>Legion/Primarch Personality
>Tactical Specialty
>Thematics
>Colors

And remember, be nice, be honest, have fun!

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1LJh0RkHrfDW8H3LgFTGgt-mhqNJeh9FIBw48botbYy8/edit
docs.google.com/document/d/13wGtK8_sD5ES-tZTUch1oOtqZteEUb3SWJ-g3AbtaYc/edit?usp=sharing
bitbucket.org/chaptergenerator/chaptergenerator/downloads/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14hqd6RLLgvLdYCIoLCHhQkidgXIsKUzrugyWu6pthEM/edit#gid=0
docs.google.com/document/d/1e81AqB-9ElOVJw1KrmHBdBZbiGcJh1bdzIUI68cpb-E/edit?usp=sharing
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Angels_Revenant
docs.google.com/document/d/1wlaKVtg-3SfJF6118s5SF8eo0zpg1twRmpydWnn1iI0/edit?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/0B54GxqBmAPc6ZXM3elFfU0YtN0U/view?usp=sharing
youtube.com/watch?v=63FDZJod0gs
youtube.com/watch?v=fla_PRzipXE
docs.google.com/document/d/1t608XhyARQm0jg8zpEtVs-yJpU8EmPDbLEk-giB46dA/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Mate I was literally just about to make one. Kudos to you. Ready to discuss and writefag.

As for question about loyalties, The Sentinels would most likely stay loyalist, unless someone can think up a great plot reason for them to go Separatist...

docs.google.com/document/d/1LJh0RkHrfDW8H3LgFTGgt-mhqNJeh9FIBw48botbYy8/edit

The loyalists still need a couple more legions, so that sounds perfectly fine. I'll give the story a read and let you know what I thing.

I posted the first draft for the Titan Marchers at the end of the last thread. Didn't get a lot of feedback, so I'll post it again.

docs.google.com/document/d/13wGtK8_sD5ES-tZTUch1oOtqZteEUb3SWJ-g3AbtaYc/edit?usp=sharing

I dunno, I kind of like these guys. We'd need to figure out how to make them distinct from the Iron Warrios and Night Lords, but that was already mentioned. I like the idea of Nazi Marines.

Even more fascist seperatists!

I like it. It'll be interesting to see how you pull off the character development of Raj and how his legion responds to that

Do you think that making it so that Krees creates and leads an army against a ruling elite of Knights (in the 40K armoured battlesuit sense) on his homeworld of Pretanni is too snowflakey?

Post- or pre-discovery by the Emperor?

My only gripe with it would be that the Knights are Titans, and the Titan Walkers already do the Astartes and Titans thing.

If a guy like Konrad Kurze can get a background like he did, you can lead an army that destroys the bourgeoisie

It would be Pre-discovery. And the whole thing would probably put Krees off of the concept of Knights/Titans. It might even taint his relationship with the Mechanicum long-term in the same way that Mortarion hated Psykers after his upbringing.

Oh fuck, what are comprehensive reading skills? He's fighting the Titans.

Then I still have to bring up the fact that fighting an elite nobility class armed with Titan-like mechs is also what Raj does. If you're interested, I posted it .

Then again, him being distrusting of the Mechanicus would lead to an interesting relationship with Raj. Especially since they're both loyalists and there will only we 6-7 loyalist legions in this AU, which means they'll have to come together.

Would it be an idea to have Krees fight nobles that use Skitarii-like forces instead of full blown Knight Titans?

Ah. I hadn't realised, only just got up so I wanted to post the idea before I forgot it.

I'll move my focus to something smaller. Either Skitarii as you suggest or possibly a contingent of Men of Iron controlled by the ruling class

That's cool, can't blame ya, fighting against better equipped noble class is a great way for a primarch to get started.

Yeah. And having a disciplined professional army to lead is a big part of Krees' theme.

I was hoping to avoid being too predictable, but it seems to come down to either revolting against a corrupt elite or fighting against a Xenos/Chaos threat.

You could go for more of a Dances with Wolves approach, where he's part of the corrupt nobility at first, gets his military experience fighting rebels, and eventually realises the error of his ways?

Or maybe he is raised in noble circles, becomes a military commander, opresses the shit out of the people, fights off an alien invasion and become a hero along the way?

I like it! Simple and to the point, not much else to say about it. I do think Je’she needs to become a more unique presence later on though, right now he lacks any particularly outstanding character traits.

Also, why not call them the Desert or Dune Sentinels? Just 'Sentinels' isn't very descriptive or engaging.

Yeah I will definitely be doing more development of that as well as Je'she's personality. Also I like the name how it is.

Here's a paintable MK II template for y'all

You have the option of using Mk3 armor in the Chapter Constructor:

bitbucket.org/chaptergenerator/chaptergenerator/downloads/

I know, just if anyone wanted to be a little more artistic in photoshop or whatever

Ah, well I don't know, sorry.

Anyone want to discuss any of the topic on the to-do list?

Can I join in?

>Name
The Emperor's Scythes

>Primarch
Xizz Malok

>Personality
Brutal, unchanging, and unrelenting, the Emperor's Scythes in three words. Accustomed to using mortal agents, whenever one of Malok's sons is spotted and entire army will be there, ready to sacrifice their lives to break any siege. Any loss is considered acceptable, and by any means possible victory will be assured.

>Tactical Specialty
Breaking seiges from the inside out using shocktroopers in combination with mortal dissidents to grind down enemy resources and progression.

>Thematics
A Blend of Death Guard and Alpha Legion with a dash of Raven Guard, they combine "There is no such thing as a Geneva convention here" with "A cadre of humans led by an Astartes wreaking chaos behind enemy lines.

>Colors
Dark steel primary and purple metallic secondary.

>tfw your Legion was ignored but unapologetic Chaos Dwarf ripoffs whose backstory requires rewriting the entire setting to include Hashut, and another legion whose description includes "'Dude, what the fucking fuck' 'Dunno, bro. Just following orders'" and just generally looks like it was written by Karl the Deranged in-character got in.

Dude feel free to repost it and then add it to here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14hqd6RLLgvLdYCIoLCHhQkidgXIsKUzrugyWu6pthEM/edit#gid=0
Aren't The Emperor's Scythes already a chapter?

Yeah, they are. Scythes are cool, but make sure to not be Death Guard 2.0.

Feel free to repost your stuff man! Some things always get overlooked, especially when the thread nears it's bump limit.

From my perspective, both these primarchs need more personal experiences that shape them, solidify their personality so to speak. As it is right now, it is fairly well explained what set them off to become the way they are, but their journey lacks moments where their development was challenged.

As an initial draft, these do work nicely as a core concept though.

I have a hard time taking in the information about the other primarchs. Quite a lot haven't come past the initial stage of the questionnaire yet and on first glance don't distinguish themselves well from eachother. Therefore I find it difficult to make any educated guesses on who should be warmaster and who should be archtraitor.

As per thlast thread, you made clear your preference for 21 primarchs. You proved right in that applicants would come, afterall, which weakens my argument for 18 primarchs.

On the other hand, if we went for 18 primarchs and go 6-6-6, we could start earlier with the next step of establishing a timeline and fleshing out the details of the fall/secession of the legions.

As for the Chaos Gods, I think Funerus and I will very quickly bring them into play, both major and minor.

>B-Baka, it's not like I wanted to be part of your s-stupid fanproject, or anything like that

It's okay user-kohai, we noticed you. Bring us your dudes.

You have a point there, I'll work on the plot some more tomorrow. Tonight I'll just stew in my own juices and let half-baked concepts ferment in my brain

Derp. I knew there was a reason why it sounded like a perfect name. The Steel Reapers then.

Death's Heads-user back, I spent some time thinking about everyone's advice, and I think I've fleshed them out a bit more.

The Death's Heads are more than happy getting all the shitty "Emperor's reset button" jobs, because they feel it makes them superior to the other Legions who would balk at getting such an assignment. They've got a big obsession with being "the strongest", and officers often compete for getting the most difficult tasks, so as to show they can complete them the most efficiently. They have a large disdain for mortal soldiers, willingly using them as cannon fodder and not really giving a shit if their WMDs blast a couple thousand of them to oblivion.
The Death's Heads are also fleet-based, as Einchurt's homeworld was literally falling apart after its inhabitant technobarbarians Old Night'd it to the point its crust was ready to tear itself apart. The Legion instead recruits from the populations of several vassal worlds they use as staging grounds for their various campaigns on the edges of the Great Crusade.

Could you have described that in a more disgusting manner?

I'll work on your feedback. The general idea was to first stipple out the red line, then build on top of that.

As for the number of Primarchs, nothing is stopping us from starting once we have 18 legions, or even starting now. Not all OU legions were equally involved in the major events of the Heresy. Some, like the Salamanders, Raven Guard and Iron Hands, just got fucked and ran around for most of it and the Thousand Sons got taken out in an event seperate from the March to Terra.

Point is, we can start whenever, we'll include latecomers in different ways.

I just like Primarchs, I don't want to cut down on them, plus I like having a clean 7-7-7 division, so…

ey
Feel free to add your legion to the spreadsheet man

Oh jeez, we also already have like 5 legions that are METAL [something], and one specifically already had Steel…

This is much cooler than before. They're the workhorse legion, but they wouldn't have it any other way. Grit. I like that! Sounds like the Titan Marchers would get along with them quite easily.

In the last thread I got some good constructive criticism about my brain munching lambert marines and I agree that making their whole shtick Zombies might not be a good idea. All marines are capable of eating brains and whatnot to absorb emotions and stuff, I was just going to have it negatively effect my dudes. I could just have the primarch eat brains, but I still like the idea of degeneration akin to the Mutations of the Thousand Sons or the Wulfen or the black rage. Also I would be happy to have the emperor crack down on my legions gene seed which could drive them to chaos/separatists even though they see themselves as good honest saviours. Anti Heroes. I'd even be happy for them to be a lost legion in our universe.

I'm just spit balling here.

Also to weigh in on the OP we could have 18 legions 6-6-6 and two lost legions stamped out by the emperor?

Because the Lost Legions are pretty shit writing honestly. They're 40k's biggest plot hole. Even if you think they're interesting because they're a mystery, you're wrong. That's because there is no mystery. Games Worshop doesn't know anything more about the Lost Legions than we do, they have admitted that. A mystery is pointless if there is no answer.

Imperium Asunder had an interesting take on the Lost Legions, where they were two Legions that were outed by the Emperor, but came back during the Heresy. Even then, I'm personally not interested in retreading that.

As for your Legion, feel free to add bizarre gimmicks if you like, just don't make it so crippling your legion shouldn't be able to function properly, like brain rot. As for them joining Chaos or the Seperatists, that's also fine, though we need to check if we're filling out the factions evenly. I can't remember how many Seps, Loyalists of Traitors we have right now.

It looks like we've got 2 Seps, 2 Traitors, and 5 Loyalists

Oh. I honestly though we had fewer loyalists. Np at all then.

Hi guys, what has been going on since yesterday at night? (UTC)

I'd recap more neatly, but I'm working right now, so…

New thread, more potential legions, more fun. Some people wrote up some stuff for their legions, links in this thread or the spreadsheet. As always, love to hear your feedback.

I see the brain rot less as a certainty but rather a condition that effects only some marines and they try and keep it quiet and whatnot, could be what pushed them away from the imperium. And I agree with you about the lost legions, I guess it's just so that people could invent their own primarchs to play in game but I think that's dumb (ironic, right?)

I also like the trope of a good yet flawed person who falls to chaos in spite of his goodness so I'm leaning toward becoming a traitor now. I imagine the brain eating of the primarch coming to a climax in a war against chaos cultists and he eats the commanders brain and sees memories of a promise from tzeetch or someone and he sees this as a way to potentially save his legion from the rot, a la thousand sons. Even though I like chaos I'm suffering with severe "my dudes syndrome" and am sad that he'd likely fall to chaos

Just a thought, we can't really call the Horned God just the Horned God, given that most of the Chaos gods already have horns.

It's the rat god, right?

Plagueis

Symphonious Disciples user here, I'll have a doc for the Primarch in a few hours, if all goes well. May the Emperor's light guide your path.

Neato

>tfw you ctrl+f'ed all morning for every keyword but triumvirate
I feel dumb.

Btw, it might be a good idea for folks to start namefagging. Tends to make discussion a little bit easier.

Steel Souls user here. It's ok, I totally missed this thread too scrolling through the catalog.

It's a good idea, but it's also something that draws trolls and dickheads like flies. I've seen that happen in every AU 40k project, without exception.

Will witefag a little, then.

Neat

You can always use tripcodes.

Drawfaggotery in progress. Expect to see the face of Zelbezis Dyestes by the end of the day. Next up is Einchurt, if Totenkopf-user has a description in mind.

Do you accept requests?

>Name
Earth Shakers

>Primarch
Stone fist johnson

>Legion/Primarch Personality
Generally stoic soldiers, usually spend free time either training or something else productive.

>Tactic Specialty
Anti vehicle and large numbers . Often excessive use of heavy weapons/explosives/anything that makes a boom or crater.

>Thematics
US civil war confederacy theme, mixed with a small hint of vikings.

>Colors
Grey and blue, again similar to civil war soldiers.

>Stone fist Johnson

That name's hilarious

Cool legion, feel free to expand on them.

docs.google.com/document/d/1e81AqB-9ElOVJw1KrmHBdBZbiGcJh1bdzIUI68cpb-E/edit?usp=sharing

Posted in the last thread. Is it good. Can it be accepted.

Separatists? Hell yeah. Maybe a little work in the color scheme.

I see someone else in the spreadsheet is using elephant in there name. I'm gonna use ulysses now to avoid any further confusion.

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Angels_Revenant

Color scheme is pretty much already existing among canon Legions/Chapters, probably ought to find a different one. But that's not too hard to do, you'll be fine.

Good thinking. So what angle are you looking to go for with your dudes? Heavy weapons is cool, but if you're taking the civil war approach, wouldn't it be possible to base their tactics on that era? Anti-vehicle, big crater dudes are already covered, I think.

Will make changes to the colour scheme

Golden Mountains user here, working on the Legion backstory and stuff. Been busy, but will try and have something ready tonight.

docs.google.com/document/d/1wlaKVtg-3SfJF6118s5SF8eo0zpg1twRmpydWnn1iI0/edit?usp=sharing

Here's some initial lore for the Steel Souls concerning the homeworld's history and leading up to the moment the Primarch is found by the Emperor.

Comments are welcome.

I am writing the lore and background in the same doc as the rest of the Legion's info. That may help at controlling the amount of docs we have.

You mean the OP document? That's fine with me.

Here he is. Not quite sure on the sword-and-scales symbol on his other shoulder.

Every Legion should have a file document with their info and fluff, explained and such.

That's dope, bro. May I request you something?

I guess I'm confused then. The document I linked is supposed to be a file with their info and fluff.

You may, absolutely no idea if/when I'll be able to tackle it though.

Great. I don't care about time. Would you please make a cool logo for the Silver Blades Legion and draw a sketch of Linares? For the logo, it would have some kind of nobiliary shield with swords and chivalry stuff. The primarch would be tall, like 3 meters, looking like Rogal Dorn but with beard and longer hair. That's my idea, what do you think?

Nice dude! Looks great! Would you like for me to include a description of Raj in the legion's document?

I have been writefagging some fluff about Linares' getting into power.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B54GxqBmAPc6ZXM3elFfU0YtN0U/view?usp=sharing

Link, for anyone interested.

If there's one fucking thing I've learned about this fucking world, it's that using "fuck" in every fucking sentence is really fucking cool, and fucking definitely not fucking childish or anyfuckingthing.

I suck majorly at drawing emblems. Will try with Linares though.

Okay, no problem!

At least is useful

youtube.com/watch?v=63FDZJod0gs

youtube.com/watch?v=fla_PRzipXE

True. Spongebob and Patrick think so too. You're in good company.

Sorry, wrong link, I think.

docs.google.com/document/d/1t608XhyARQm0jg8zpEtVs-yJpU8EmPDbLEk-giB46dA/edit?usp=sharing

My sides have reached Armageddon's orbit

Also, the IQ of the thread has been lowered in about 2 minutes.

Well, it took the Hektor Heresy guys about 150 threads to put their heads completely up their own asses and ignore obvious holes in their writing.

You guys are on record pace to do it in three or four. But I'm glad you're entertained at least.

Have fun with Primarch Spongebob.

Are the Silver Blades (the weapon) just pieces of metal, or power swords?

They are lesser power swords. The Silver Slayer is pretty powerful, tho.

How should we decide when the Primarchs are found? I don't know if the one I'm writing should be found early, late, or whatever else. It seems like that would have a big impact on how their Legion works, since they'd either have more or less time with the Primarch.

Once you get past the "Found the Child" stage, how do you proceed from there?

Symphonious Disciples user here, since we don't have a specialized psyker primarch, does anyone mind if I make Yochin Theritax a psyker so I can tie into the messianic prophecy I'm writing and give him an excuse to wield a guitar instead of a sonic cannon?

What if we decided who the Warmasters are, had the Loyalist/Chaos Warmaster be found first, have the Loyalist/Chaos Warmaster be found second, and then have the Separatist Warmaster be found roughly in the middle, and then randomly generated which primarch is found at which time?

Remind me, since there's supposed to be 3 factions in this Heresy for whatever reason, are we then going with 21 Primarchs to get the 7-7-7 split?

You may make him a Psyker

>++Thought of the day++
>Find the witch
>Burn the witch

I guess I need to make a bigger fuss about how Emil is a psyker, lol. The supreme "Psyberneticist".

Hello fellow pachydermfag, I see your taste in animals is formidable.

>Loyalist Noise Marines
>Primarch is high level bard
>Final proof that words can and will hurt

I love your Legion already.

We have been undecided. Doctor RaJob vouches for 21, while I support 18 primarchs. We're very close to the 18 legions mark if I'm not mistaken, and it would pretty much have one point of the to-do-list checked off. With the full range of legions we could start thinking about personal relationships, rivalries and friendships and what legion is involved in which campaigns. We could also start altering legions to make the even distribution among the three warmasters fair if we saw a surplus inone direction.

I guess my vote would be for 21 then, since 777 is an auspiciously lucky number for us, haha.

18 primarchs seems better. An even split don't seem right

I must've missed out, when has number 777 our lucky number? Or are you talking about your legion?

It would be 6-6-6 split.

I'm just referring to triple sevens in roulette being the big prize. A lucky number for us as authors/as a project, you know?

Isn't it pretty much that apart from Horus, all the legions' primarchs were found in that order? With Dark Angels first and Alpha Legion last and everyone according to their number?

I didn't know that! Sounds pretty cool.

I still suggest 18 primarchs. I prefer the minimalist approach.

does the factions need to be even?
loyalist/traitors seems to be the main conflict with the separatists taking the chance to break free in the chaos

I don't know off the top of my head, although I don't think they all followed that pattern.

Strictly speaking, the separatists need to be the LARGEST faction.

They have neither the backing of the Imperium to keep them supplied and reinforced, nor the blessings of Chaos to keep them alive for thousands of years.

Remember, they're going to have to build a sustained power base all on their own, from scratch, under attack from BOTH Chaos and the Imperium. Unless they all go 100% fleet based piracy, and even then attrition would annihilate them without us giving them ludicrous plot armor.

Chaos is easy mode, Imperium is hard mode, but Renegade is NewGame+, prepare your anus mode. Again, unless you handwave everything away like an unskilled writer would.

Maybe going renegade and joining other faction? Think of joining the Tau in M41 but in M31.

You make a fair point. The only alternative I see is that the Seperatists are either Xenos backed, which seems unlikely, or they start off with incredibly important worlds.

I guess you could join another faction, but that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Especially since the only factions in this time period would be like, Orks and Eldar.

Blending Marines with those factions is both implausible sounding, and feels like powergaming/cherrypicking. It also reduces the agency of those Legions to act independently.

Yeah. The problem is that unless you start heavily distorting 40k lore, separatists on any meaningful scale are very implausible. If they take important places, then that just means Imps/Chaos work all the harder to pick off the low-hanging fruit before the other faction does. If they're allied to xenos... that just takes the story down a bizarre path.

You make some good points. I'll have to think on it for a bit.