40K does not work as a serious setting. It only works as a satire

40K does not work as a serious setting. It only works as a satire.

Prove me wrong.

ur rong

It stopped being facetiously edgy at some point?

Well, that's that then.

No.

It can have serious moments, but for most things it works best with tounge lodged firmly in cheek.

/thread

/thread

The entire thing together can't be taken seriously.

Parts of it in isolation can. Mostly because they aren't forced in with other conflicting sci fi stories.

ridiculous things are not immediately satirical

satire is a very specific thing
40k has never been a satirical setting

Protip: You can't

If you have an opinion, then the burden of evidence is on you.

Evidence is a means of oppression against non-mainstream viewpoints.

You're right, and that's the intention. You're the retard trying to be contrarian about something that anyone with sense already knew.

It was satirical right from the start. You just need to have a few brain cells to see it. A lot of it is satirical parody of the time period it started in.

The stupid cunts who act as though the Imperium is actually a good thing are too retarded to realise the Imperium is a parody of certain real life governments and how utterly stupid they were.

>Prove me wrong.

But you're right.

>The stupid cunts who act as though the Imperium is actually a good thing
Does anyone actually believe this? Provide proof.

>A lot of it is satirical parody
A lot of it is directly referenced from other obvious sources, but none of it is satirical.

Parody versus pastiche. 2000AD is satire. Warhammer is not.

Why would I even try since that's true ?
Roll up some SciFi cliches and stories into a single setting, add some Fantasy sauce, and voilà : Warhammer 40.000.

But that's why I love it. It's dumb, silly, and that's precisely what makes it magnificent at the same time.

>Tfw you made this variant of Bloody Magpie with mug marine

Also OP is a faggot.

I can´t.

Who the fuck cares?

Prove your theory faggot

Proof: "Hey, let´s get rid of all religions and supersicius believes, just to discover that they actually exist, but far worse than we ever imagined. Then let´s get fucked by them for millenia and start to pray to the guy that told us they don´t exist."

Check fucking mate.

>Proof: "Hey, let´s get rid of all religions and supersicius believes
you mean the thing introduced by random twats thirty years after the fact?

read rogue trader, you tardmonkey

I wish I could read,...

That's not satire, it's dramatic irony. And it's not really a good description of 40k.

40k takes inspiration from a huge array of sources, and tends to make them absurd in some way or another. I don't think that makes it satire.

Its almost like storytelling in a purposefully incomplete setting created over 30 years by a variety of authors involves a necessarily varied point of narration but can be combinations of tragic, satirical, heroic, comedic, parody, etc. by virtue of those differences and our positions as spectators.

My Commissar said reading is for heretics.

k.

My big introduction to the setting was Eisenhorn, not rogue trader, and those are very serious books by comparison. The idea of a super spy in space with unlimited authority who has to fight demons is kind of cool.

I can agree, but when a statement like "It was satirical right from the start" gets thrown down, you have to first actually know the original work.

40k has always been very silly, but satire isn't really a part of that.

This.
I didn't find Gaunt's Ghosts very comedic all in all.

In 40k you can do serious stories as well as comedic ones, you can have heroic SM or inhumane killing machines ones, orks are hooligans caricatures or a monstrous wave of death, necrons are emotionless robots or flamboyant lords...

Crucify me for posting pic related Wiki screencap, but, well.....it sounds fucking appropiate you semantic weasel.

>super spy
More like secret police.

Same shit different bucket.

It can get pretty james bond super spy seduction and train mystery shit going on. Eisenhorn is pretty indulgent with the finer things, mansions on different planets with personal chef teams, gardeners, sec. forces, talking about his 800 different capes and shit.

>super spy
>no, more like secret police

user, are you bored or just retarded?

OP is a faggot and incapable of objectively judging a work of fiction.

Prove me wrong.

>Satire is a genre of literature in which shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming-
>Although satire is usually meant to be humorous, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism
>"in satire, irony is militant"
Warhammer is not, and was never any sort of elaborate criticism. It is a mashup of things guys like Rick Priestley, Brian Ansell and their mates thought were cool in the mid 80's. When they made Warhammer Records and signed death metal bands on to scream about the chaos gods, it was not as some kind of ironic jab at how ridiculous metal had gotten. It was because they were fucking metalheads operating out of a dingy loft in nottingham, making fantasy soldiers into their livelihood.

I'm certain there have been individual satirical stories within added afterwards, but the setting as a whole began as a straightforward mashup of what a small group of mid twenty-something british nerds were into at the time.

Fuck, they only added in titans (and the entire horus heresy) because battletech was getting popular in the UK and they wanted to make a game about a bunch of big stompy robots too.

>you semantic weasel
Obvious inspirations are not satire. Absurdism is not satire. Irony is not satire (though it is often used in it). Satire is not a catch-all term, it's reasonably specific in the type of writing it refers to. Learn what the words you're parroting actually mean, please.

40k ain't ever been serious, but dumb people labeling everything as fucking satire makes me seriously, autistically incensed.

> 40k works in any context

l o l

But it does.

Like Warcraft.

...the Trump supporters who unironically call their elected leader "God-Emperor"? I suppose it could be a Dune reference but I suspect otherwise.

There are people who argue that the Imperium is a necessity for human survival in 40k. But I would not equate that to "the Imperium is a good thing" because the people I've seen who do so, also argue that necessity makes it more grimdark than "they're evil just cus."

I personally like a good mix of the two

I can't. Veeky Forums itself only goes to show that taking 40k with any degree of legitimate seriousness just turns one into an autistic rage monster screaming aboutique badwrongfluff, grognards, and nucanon.

Well what about those Sanders supporters who encouraged people to set themselves on fire?
It's a fucking joke

This is the line of logic I follow. In the world of 40k the Imperium are the good guys but if it were any other setting they'd be evil as fuck.

Stop going to The_Donald.

Nah, just glad I can take it serious enough to have fun. Don't really care whether you like it or not.

And yet, I know places where actual autists take this actually seriously.

This is one of those places.

Well yeah, its a space opera, dont be so autistic.

You obviously didn't see the interviews with the original dev-team. The heresy was a parody fo the War in Heaven. They stated that 40k WAS a joke.

It used to be satire, not its just over the top funfest.

What does it satire?

It doesn't work that well as satire, but works quite well as a serious setting so long as you don't expect it to be hard sci-fi. That would be stupid. (Even then it has a better understanding of human society than a lot of sci-fi does.)

Just because something started as satire doesn't mean it still is. It's deadly serious now. Where exactly is the satire with all the Roboute stuff lately, to give just one example? Or the Fall of Cadia? What is being satirised there?

The Imperium did START as a parody of a thousand different Earth societies, but it has since grown into something no less serious than any other fantasy empire you can think of. And what's the harm? It's good stuff.

Eisenhorn admittedly DOES seem a bit like a grimdark James Bond parody though.

Satire, at least in the classical sense, tended to be very subtle and nuanced.

There's nothing subtle or nuanced about 40K.

British imperial nostalgia mainly.

I refuse to not take Sororitas seriously