During a quest, you wind up defeating a cult trying to bring destruction to the land

>During a quest, you wind up defeating a cult trying to bring destruction to the land.
>You stopped them just as they were performing a binding ritual on a demon.
>The demon was not bound to any cult members, but has already become corporeal.
>Instead of lashing out or trying to kill any of your party, the demon is thankful that you freed it from servitude.
>More-so, it assumes you and your party are sympathetic to demonkind, and promises to help out his new "friends."
>Now whenever you try to do any quests, a demon pops out from the shadows and turns everything 0 to 10 real quick.
>Stop bandits? Demon has flayed and burned them alive.
>Save hostages? Demon teleported them from their cells through the hell dimension and outside, leaving them mentally scarred.
>In short, it is doing the most evil thing it can to help you, either not realizing or not caring if you're trying to do something good.
What do?

Seek the aid of an order of strong paladins, smite the evil.

What an interesting and unique way of solving a problem and expanding on your character user!

Try to explain the whole thing to it, tell it to maybe quit actively helping us for a while and instead just observing us do our thing. If it doesn't learn from that, then it's probably just fucking with us and should be smitten.

Make it my quest to get rid of the demon.

>paladin
>consorting with demons
SMITE!

Probably just let it do it's thing. At least until the bard sticks his dick in it, after that we just watch the campaign spiral into an episode of "my crazy ex demon with hell powers" while everything goes tits up.

Depending on the setting I try to convert it to my god's beliefs, ask it to pray with me before letting it go, or simply dispel it.

>it assumes you and your party are sympathetic to demonkind,
IT'S FUCKING DEAD NOW

No, no. I won't let this abomination plague the souls of the undead!
I convince it to power muh phylactery with demon essence.
What happens if I power a phylactery with a hundred demons?

But my party is sympathetic to demonkind?

When you play a paladin you are bound by certain rules, a demon has caused undue harm and is a demon. Unless I'm playing an evil character these kind of things wouldn't sit well because the ends do not justify the means. I will not compromise my moral integrity for some "character development ark" that instead comes through with showing justice and mercy to those who actually deserve it, when others believe I should simply be a smite bot.

Therefore deus vult faggot.

Try to raise it.

I can't understand how anyone could want any of the other, super fucking boring, options. THAT would be fun.

>using demon power

>smitten
But it's already very clearly smitten with you, user

>not using demon power

What a shitty, thinly-veiled way to try and make your characters 'fall', user!

Strike a pact or trick it to return to hell.

In time, its no longer yours.
It would take over and you'd finally wish for death.

Take him under my wing, explain that things need to be run a tad different here, and judge whether he's capable of learning. Would make a damn powerful ally, and if not then I could at least learn its weaknesses before I kill it.

Thank Kord I'm a cleric and not a paladin.

Try to find a group of clerics trying to bind an angel, become friends with the angel, and have both sides of the moral scale on my side.

If I'm playing a paladin then what the fuck did you expect?
It's a capital D Demon, it's doing bad shit.

Yes, I COULD try and accommodate it and push it into more useful paths. I could do all that. It's risky, it's unlikely to work, and it'll keep doing Evil until I succeed.
But I can also just kill it, and do about as much Good with a minimum of expended time and effort I can put into doing other Paladin things.

I'm not playing some utterly perfect saintly Commander Shepard Paragon who farts Redemption, I'm a guy in armor who swore to Smite Evil and Protect Good.

If you want me to try and rehabilitate an evil-doer, try a monster or cultist or something. I'm game for that. Not a fucking demon.
And in any case, if I'm not as a HOLY WARRIOR OF GOOD, allowed to SMITE DEMONS, ACTUAL FUCKING DEMONS, then WHAT THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO SMITE?
Do I have to ask permission? Do I have to sit down with every insane undead devil worshipping monster and give them councilling about their relationship with their parents or am I allowed to smash their fucking head in? I thought I was playing someone who killed in the name of a god and creed, not a pacifist therapist.

>everything it does causes a tremendous downside
>and it's stealing my XP

Yep, time to smite.

>but I'm good aligned!
>le smite meme

Paladinfags confirmed for edgy murderfaggots yet again.

Again, what the hell am I allowed to kill if not this?

>not killing a being literally made of pure evil and chaos who exists only to spread corruption throughout corruption

And in D&D you can't even kill demons on the material plane so it's not even murder.

Looks like my work is cut out for me.

Set up a trap and send the asshole back home

>What happens if I power a phylactery with a hundred demons?
You go mad and become cliche evil-for-evil BBEG

Depends how to fluff it, if you make yourself an immortal jailer for a hundred demons that's pretty legit.
But it could also go horribly wrong.
It could go either way, I'd ask a god in-universe if they'd give you their blessing in such a task to check if it's a good idea or not.

>it assumes you and your party are sympathetic to demonkind
Well, luckily for everyone involved, he is right!

Convince him the most evil thing to do would be to not be evil at all.

>"Friendly" Demon shadowing me and helping me accomplish my missions by doing evil
I assume I was too low level to banish it immediately when it escaped the summoning circle bound to a cultist with a sword through his throat?

I seek sufficiently powerful good allies to banish it properly.

I before I accomplish this, I preach to it during downtime, espousing good ideals, even if this is mostly to keep me on the straight and narrow.

It is a fucking eldritch horror that some vile, semi-living hell dimension begat that exists only to spread chaos and corruption throughout the material planes. Letting it remain in our world for ANY amount of time, is time it could use to damn countless souls to oblivion, even if it believes it is "helping" us. So no user, I am not going to risk the immortal souls of countless innocents just because of "lol it can be redeemed".

Can the demon be a cute girl?

This sounds stupid enough to work, but explain that "helping" can be more "info on demonology and hellish artifacts" and less "brimstone the morally grey malefactors".

I mean it could be.
But it also could be a horribly ugly man.
Demon's have weird beauty standards.

My character ain't too bright, so he's gonna try to explain to the demons that, while he appreciates the help, they're causing unnecessary trouble.

Assuming a demon can change its nature. If it can, all the power to you