HOLY SHIT

The invincible Lavos has risen from the depts and is going to destroy everything, the only hope to destroy this monster lies in your last played party.
How fucked are you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JC3ybAODZzM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bunch of second to fourth level fuck-ups.

We're dead.

>literally hitler-tier cleric of the god of tyranny
>low int half-elf ranger who frequently says dumb shit and reinforces nazi cleric's low opinion of elves
>chivalrous but somewhat naive knight who got stuck with the party out of obligation to a noble rather than him actually wanting to be there
>fairly generic elven sorcerer
In short, very fucked.

we met Balthasar, so we just gotta get that time egg

>Campaign ended with him becoming the God of Arcane Magic and Artifice.
I designate a Champion to solve the problem for me, occasionally granting him guidance and power as needed and when worthy.

If it was the group of schmucks that got floored for half a 4 hour combat from Hold Person, then I highly doubt that we'd have a chance.

If it was the MnM 3e PL 15 Kaiju NPCs I played to round out an equally overleveled kaiju girl solo player's party, they pretty much took out a PL18 enemy (Fucking Darkseid's official DC Adventures stats are PL 16 by the way) without too much trouble. Didn't even get a single round off because I thought letting one of the NPCs target a giant monstrosity's Dodge score to rob it out of an entire turn and halved active defenses was a good idea.

Iron kingdoms mercinary crew consisting of NPC supporting cast, an elf mage hunter/alchemist, a gun mage/rifleman, a trencher, and me, the ironhead/man-at-arms in a souped up super-modded ironhead suit, with augmented artificial limbs so he can hit things even fucking harder.

What's Lavos alignment?

That's very important.

Chaotic evil my man, it only does it for the sake of being an asshole.

>we swapped to an Interlude Party of Zero.EXE and Kamen Rider BLACK RX (with Masked Rider as a tactical partner)

The first salvo of Destruction Rains From The Heavens! is gonna be a doozy but after that we should be good.

I doubt Crono luminaire is better than my uber smite.

>Luckiest monk alive
>Barbarian possessed by the Dark Gods
We might be low level, but we have a shot.

>Level 2 troll seer. Talents are misdirection and crowd control
>level 2 Ranger McLargeHuge. Tackled a horse
>a loli. Really high stats, but she's like 9 so they don't really mean much right now.

Probably pretty fucked

True Neutral. He's an animal. Destroying planets is part of his race's lifescycle, he doesn't do it out of malice or greed, saying it shouldn't do what it does because it's evil would be like saying children shouldn't grow up because then they'd take more resources. It just so happens that Lavos requires literally all the resources.

That being said, fighting and killing him is also not evil, and in fact I woulds consider exterminating him and his spawn a decidedly GOOD act because it's done for survival at worst and protection of all life as we know it at best.

The bad guy doesn't have to be an evil guy.

>Two mid-season Pretty Cure who have yet to go through their movie

Yeah that's fine

Welp. Time to Go Loud I guess.

>Lavos
>Not evil

After getting killed, it ended up in an un-reality of dead timelines, becoming a non-entity that existed because of Paradox that then decided to go full "Fuck Everything", and tried to DESTROY THE MULTIVERSE ITSELF because of how assmad it was at being defeated. It did not care at all about anything else, other than collapsing the entire Multiverse, and killing every last being in existence. Lavos was completely evil down to it's very core, and actively went out of it's way to fuck everyone over, even after being reduced to non-existence.

Hmm that's not quite what I remember, is that from Chrono Cross? Didn't play it.

>elf ranger that seems to either critically miss or critically hit, no real inbetween
>orc fighter that can deal a lot of damage but never seems to get the killing blow
>catfolk cleric to Cayden Cailean who spends most of their time trying to keep the orc and elf from murdering each other

Don't think we're getting very far

>Lavos was completely evil down to it's very core, and actively went out of it's way to fuck everyone over, even after being reduced to non-existence.
That is the dumbest thing I have ever read.

Chrono Cross *is* pretty dumb as hell.

>Level 5 fighter, Level 3 Cleric of Life, Level 3 DB Sorcerer, Level 3 Druid

I don't even think we'd get past its third boss rush form.

That is simply the nature of Lavos.

You earthbound slaves are ignorant of the very cosmos that has birthed you.

Sustained.
Orbital.
Bombardment.

This works until you win and turns into a time consuming parasite fueled by some little girl's hate for all things

considering that it's from space and can hit the other side of the planet with it's own bombardment I'm not too sure being in orbit is safe

>The average Terraria group

Lavos is completely fucked.

Yeah, it melds with Shaka and tries to end existence itself. And the story of Chrono Cross actually explains how it happens extremely well, and it's a bonkers reveal as timelines start to merge.

Then you essentially use antimatter to get rid of it.

Chrono Cross > Chrono Trigger

Maybe, but Chrono Cross *is* pretty dumb.

>AdEva group
Business as usual. Well, I suppose it's smaller than most things, but that just means we aim DOWN.

I cast wish.
I use divine intervention.
I sick my pet Tarrasque on it.

>Treating Chrono Cross as canon
The game also relies on Dreamstone to be part of Lavos.
Dreamstone, which existed *before Lavos arrived*, and was used to destroy Lavos.
This is used to justify some ridiculously cliché bullshit about humans being created by Lavos, and also to justify the masamune suddenly being a cursed blade.
The game a shit.

>Gunslinging Rogue Trader in power armor protected by force fields and thousands of expendable armsmen
>Death World Missionary with a fuck huge power sword and 5 battle sisters
>Jacked af Explorator in Terminator Armor with an autocannon along with his pet murder servitors and robot maid girl
>Guardsman turned beat cop, augged out to shit, punches through walls
We've seen worse

Well, considering that my buddy decied to dust off a cmapaign we'd played here and there ages ago, then decided fuck it he didn't have it in him to run that campaign anymore, so he made us all gods, I think we have a fair shot.

>human fighter wearing Hercules' lion cape, weilding a sword that cast lighting bolt on anyone he doesn't trust when unsheated
>half-elf fused with an arcanaloth fiend pacted with on of the lower devils in the 9 hells
>gnome version of Dale Gribble with more than enough magic items to rob the underwear of a king standing next to him who may or may not have imprinted with the sentient murder-staff of a genocidal king
>one eye'd human theft who's running from a guild that's not afraid to burn down whole cities to steal the artifact in her empty eye-socket

We've accidentally killed a dragon, become masters of the largest werewolf clan in the north, befriended some very important wizards by inventing hamburgers, and sworn generals under the direct command of the king of the largest kingdom in the land. A few conch-calls and we might stand a chance against this guy (the DM has hinted that he's had to power up our actual final enemy because of our shenanigans)

>the depts

CLEAN UP IN AISLE 5

>human fighter wearing Hercules' lion cape, weilding a sword that cast lighting bolt on anyone he doesn't trust when unsheated

So iskander.

this

>Chrono Cross shit is canon

That only happened because Lavos got merged with an insane wizard.

A flashnob, a mekboy cybork, steev orkwin, and a grot and his retarded ork servant and pit krew.

We'll be fine

That's sort of right, but it was that the consequences of Chrono Trigger's time traveling monster slaying was that the universe and timeline became irreparably fucked. So a lesser hero comes by and changes a few things to unfuck it all and preserve their legacy.

Hadn't really thought about it like that, but kinda, yeah.

He got the cape when the party discovered that their setting was about to be invaded by the Greek, Egyptian, Norse, and Celtic pantheons because Herc, Horus, Thor, and CĂș Chulainn decided to use it as essentially the gameboard for a contest between them. We ended up teleporting Herc to Acheron, but most of his gear got left behind.

The sword's part of out main quest of giving some new god's back some of their powers. Fighter accidentally killed half the party the first time he managed to draw it.

Two of our party are being constantly remainded that it will be them who start the apocalypse.
One of them has been imprisoned by his family because of it and is currently on the run.
The other one is being constantly targeted by assasins.

Both of them have enough power to potentially do it in the future. We can do this.

Sigh.

Knowing my players, that thing wouldn't last a round.

All your bases are ruined after the planet wide bombardment, tho

But user, why couldn't they start the apocalypse by summoning Lavos??

But Dreamstone has nothing to do with Lavos. The Frozen Flame isn't dreamstone, it's basically just a shard of his outer shell that got blasted off when he crashed into Tyranno Lair.

>A human fighter covered in cursed equipment with about as much intelligence as a goblin and an absurd AC
>Dex based human fighter who keeps the party together, but with a strange obsession with becoming a dog
>Sketchiest looking human thief with uncontrollable kleptomania and a fire sword
>gnome monk with pretty much full reign over the xyz axis and the ability to knock over any living creature

Ehhhh, probably fucked.

We're only level 2.

>Ghost Wolf Bloodmoon AKA the cannibal juggernaut
>Blood Talon Cahalith AKA the sword wolf (Think Sif from Dark Souls)
>Ex-Pure Hunter in Darkness AKA the sneaky cheeky berserker
>Rahu Iron Master AKA explosives for days

That thing's going to die. It's just a question of how embarrassing that death will be for it.

If it was my original group, they could... They did. My group currently, not so much.
They aren't terrible, but not great either.

that doesn't sound all that powerful. Then again, neither would the party of Crono Trigger if one were to describe them.

Can we still crash our airship into the shell to bypass the first stage?

>group of Nazi intelligence agents (Kripo).

I bet the jew did this.

Why?
There are other big, evil eldricht abominations destined to bring forth apocalypse.

I am playing one of them, great fun. It is even more fun since he`s slowly becoming good guy instead of neutral.

You sound like an edgy virgin cringefest.

Whatever your answer to this will be, cause I won't revisit the thread, let me also point out to you preemptively that you have average compensating-powerfantasy tier bad taste.

Go travel the world a bit or try to meet new people from groups that you would normally have avoided, then come back to creative hobby. Your horizon is so pathetically narrow, I choke on all this thick sweaty air.

>implying Chrono Cross is canon

GET
THE
FUCK
OUT

Faggotry.

Each Age in CT was written by a different member of the production staff

The guy who wrote the Dark Ages also wrote the script for CC.
So some of the human vs nature themes and such are canon while other things are entirely nonsensical.

Schala survives and CC removes any negative time fuckery CT may have caused.
Also Schala is canonly in the real world looking for you so she can get laid.
This is canon. Not even kidding

Why? Because Lovos's first action is an apocalyptic barrage that hits the entire surface of the planet that destroys an ancient magical civilization, his second appearance is the same and destroys a scifi setting and turns it into a post-apocalypse setting and can wipe out parties as fast as you'd say "rocks fall, everybody dies"

Why? Because Lavos's first action is an apocalyptic barrage that hits the entire surface of the planet that destroys an ancient magical civilization, his second appearance is the same and destroys a scifi setting and turns it into a post-apocalypse setting and can wipe out parties as fast as you'd say "rocks fall, everybody dies". Just it landing on the planet causes the ice age.

Lavos is kind of implied to be sentient. It whispered in the dreams of Queen Zeal to teach her how to build the Mammon machine and Ocean Palace, guided evolution to produce adaptions it could collect and use, and has the freaky alien space suit form.

Man it's just hitting me how fucking eldritch Lavos is. It's a giant monster fucking up time by existing that sprays it's eggs across the universe like a giant parasite.

>Scala is canonly in the real world looking for you so she can get laid
I don't lack sex but goddamn I could use a tight hug sometime

Yeah but when you think about it, a couple of kids with so-so magical powers took it out.

Can't be that hard to beat.

As much as I like "your current party vs. existing bad guy", it gets a bit boring eventually.

Have a new question. How would you run a Chrono Trigger style campaign, Veeky Forums? Or at least something as time-travel heavy?

No, it destroyed the kids with so-so magic in a single attack and was defeated by the kids with epic magic.

Off the top of my head, a time-travel heavy campaign would be a gigantic clusterfuck. vidya and theories already are convoluted as fuck, having to keep track of so many things would require immense amounts of book-keeping.

It's also the thematic precursor to the wildly popular story of another game you might have heard of, called Final Fantasy 7.

FF7 almost sort of implies Chrono Trigger. Not necessarily in-universe, but familiarity with it certainly feels like it's sort of expected in the way FF7s story is presented to the player.

I'm sure there is must be an older example of the "planet parasite" trope, but does anyone know of one?

Step 1: come up with time travel rules, figure out how it works in my setting
Step 2: don't share these rules with the players
Step 3: play by those rules, let them figure it out on their own

>I'm sure there is must be an older example of the "planet parasite" trope, but does anyone know of one?
Humans

As a long-time GM, I think it might be possible with a high degree of railroading - essentially, pre-writing what happens and limiting what can happen. But if you've got your wits about you, you'll probably have noticed that that completely undermines the unique joys of exploring time travel, rending that branch of the question practically moot unless you're somehow satisfied with time travel theming on a very shallow, chiefly aesthetic level.

If you're running a campaign with a high degree of player agency (a sandbox-ish GMing style where the player characters mainly set the goals) then i severely doubt it can be done well by anyone short of some kind of exceptional genius.

If you're running a campaign of moderate-to-long length, with a satisfying degree of depth, including NPCs and factions with actual goals/ambitions, and perhaps some other cool metaphysics/lore shit going on, it can already get fairly difficult to keep track of what can happen and should happen, in relation to the various established actors and forces in the world - and that already has to be balanced with the introduction of new elements, characters, factions, opportunities, and threats/challenges.
Nobody's able to simulate a whole world, but within the limited scope of what the player characters are interacting with, and where they seem to be going next, a good GM (and there are a lot of good GMs out there, despite what Veeky Forums sometimes sounds like,) can sorta build a (1) a believable and (2) interesting world around the party on-the-fly, setting up scenery and fixing mistakes both in front of the players, and "behind" the players retroactively, using various types of "mental duct tape" like personal experiences and common-sense judgements/heuristics, genre savvy, and occasionally straight up razzle-dazzle ass misdirection and magic tricks.

I expect the problem unique to time travel GMing is that every timeline multiplies the shit you need to keep track of to GM well

>tfw forever gm

But my players group is 5 5th level fighters all with the paragon template, so I could see them having a chance.

In Trigger, at least, TN/Unaligned. He does not display, to us at least, any major signs of intelligence that would mark him as sentient/sapient enough to hold an alignment. Being an elder god piloting a spiky ass ship that drains life from planets to reproduce in a parasitical manner, if he is intelligent NE or CE.

>A rag tag group of Deep Space prison wardens comprising of a crippled psychic assasin, Father Ted, a deluded robot and a nazi along with an entourage of guard robots/mercenaries
I dont fancy their chances

>Warlock/Rogue Revenant
>Changeling Rogue
>Goblin Pugilist
>All evil
We're fucked

I laugh my ass off at the fucker, my last played party was of overpowered exalts from dungeons the dragoning:

Dullahan with jedi powers armed with a power-scythe riding a motorbike
Elf sage with danmaku powers
Vyzard ninja superhero/henshin (not senran kagura) with six attacks per turn
Tau parangon spellshooter backed by an entire company of fire warriors on a manta
A dragonborn with dragonblood that flies whilts swinging a greatdaiklave of maximun carnage and fuck you as the avatar of khorne incarnate
A tiefling necromancer with spiral power and a sword that causes psychic phenomena on hit
Arihman, the sorcerer himself, fireballs as free actions and enchantment spells up his ass, nuff said
A drow with the power of Hamon
A drunken slav techpriest with a footfall boltgun

bring it on

>Level 20 Paladin of a War God
>Level 20 Warlock of the Raven Queen
>Level 20 Lore Bard who was partial avatar of Mask
>Level 20 Wild Magic Sorcerer who became temporary Demi-God of Limbo
>Level 20 Divination Wizard

Open a portal into Limbo. Everyone steps inside and channels their metric fuckton of combined willpower into the Sorcerer and make Lavos not exist anymore.

5e?

if so, how's playing high level, is it balanced?

I call upon AtlantaAsia's finest champion. Master of Cats. The Living Armory. Ave ad Flagellum.

Also a defective mass produced robot, a cavewoman, and a wizard that is actually great at magic, but shit at teamwork.

We were in an entirely homebrewed setting and our DM was taking notes in combat to keep everything a constant challenge and interesting. He was taking older edition monsters and translating to 5th by the end of it.

High end play was really fun, and we'd leveled to that point over the course of a year and a half playing almost twice a week. Overall it was pretty balances at high end, but again our DM was making it so.

I see, thanks for telling

One other thing we did was make the magic item attunement limit equal to your proficiency bonus.

Only 3 magic items is dumb at high level play when you're drowning in them. So basically we doubled our limit by the time we got to 18.

I'm not sure how much you play COD, but here's some highlights from the Z-team ( see)

>Ghost Wolf Bloodmoon
He's nigh-on unkillable thanks to his ability to leech essence by eating his prey. Basically, so long as he can take a bite out of something spiritual, he can keep healing. Infinitely. He's replacing one part of "Operation: Distraction Cahalith". His partner in crime is...

>Blood Talon Cahalith
...the Sword Wolf. Basically, this guy goes charging in like a maniac doing a damn good Sif impersonation, cutting people up left and right. He doesn't really worry about things like damage or personal safety. It's more glorious that way. He's an excellent distraction for...
>Ex-Pure Hunter in Darkness
..sneak attack berserker. Now, you know what's scarier than a wolf the size of a bear running around and mauling people at the speed of a Mack truck when he isn't practicing invisibility? Well...

>Rahu Iron Master
...a wolf the size of a bear running around mauling people at the speed of a Mack truck
with a similarly invisible, pyromaniacal urban commando on his back, opening up with way too many guns and way too many explosives.

Also, I forgot to mention the indecisive Irraka...
>Irraka Bone Shadow
Sneaky spiritual nutjob that has a heavy dose of PTSD and enjoys fucking with people way too much. I left her out before because she's not TECHNICALLY part of our pack yet.

Basically, the two distractions charge in, allowing the sneaky sorts to come in from all sides and start ripping/tearing/shooting/bombing as necessary. If that doesn't work, then the Iron Master and Hunter in Darkness think up some horrible idea, and THAT ends up working (See: Wolf Cavalry AKA MID-AIR STEALTH IS A THING APPARENTLY)

Those sound like really fun games. Storytime, any of you? Even if it's just telling us about your favorite moment.

We're good.
An Executor Class super star destroyer should be able to cope.

High end superheroes.

The real problems begin when we start fighting over who gets to keep him.

Considering we're currently failing to stop a full-on undead apocalypse from taking over the world, I'm inclined to let Lavos do whatever the fuck it wants.

Yeah SpaceJail is great. The campaign is kind of silly and easy, inspired by SS13 and is centered around just the jail and the isolated frontier starsystem its located in, pretty high character turnover and a lot of memorable moments, such as:
>Aliens build a bar in the jail overnight, this snowballs into the aliens killing the party, then setting up a colony on the jungle world and now with the new set of characters being uneasy allies, with the aliens prisoners as slaves
>Documentary makers arrive in the jail on the behest of the Corporation which owns the prison, plenty of fun sheperding them to not see the human rights abuses, industrial scale opium growth in the hydroponics bay and staging some events to make the wardens look overly competant
>The party decides to scavenge some scrap, find a battleship filled with cyborg cultists, partywipe apart from the Priest who was in a coma in medbay back on the station, who wakes up to find that the cultists are on their way to the station in the stolen ship and has to team up with a robot which took the opportunity to escape from the cultists. They end up chilling in an asteroid cave full of alien shit that wants to kill them for a few weeks before reprogramming a huge canister of nanites they found in the cave to clear out the prison and repair it
>A timemachine crash lands on a nearby asteroid and can rewind time 24 hours, this is fine until the Nazi (They found him in a cryopod on a derelict spaceship literally three days before this happened) decided to kill the really important guy who is organising the prison's Concert which is happening in prison in a few weeks, thinking he can just rewind time and fix it while also taking out his frustrations with the guy. Turns out dead people always die with these time travel rules so they need to find a way to fix it.
It's fantastic to GM for aswell since it doesnt require much prep at all

A bunch of essence 4 solar exalts.

Pretty damn good shot.