EDH/Commander General

"If You Want Something Done Right Do It Yourself" Edition

Previous Thread: NEWS
>Commander 2017
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-commander-2017-edition-2017-04-18

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
What's the most degenerate shit in your meta?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/maralen-of-the-no-one-wants-to-play-anymore/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Prossh isn't very well received around here. He's a tier 1 Commander and it is perceived to be sour grapes for bringing him to a meta that has a Feldon deck, a relatively weaker Commander, competing with everyone else.

I don't know what to do with Hope of Ghirapur. Initially I thought I'd build a silly thopter deck but there's like nine other thopters I could put in.

Suggestions aside from just aggressive 1-mana flying voltron?

So essentially, unless your playgroup is straight out competitive, don't bring in tier 1 competitive generals.

I suppose that makes sense.

>What's the most degenerate shit in your meta?
My meta is pretty tame but probably Brago bouncing shit like Venser or Reflector Mage. If he gets it early when you don't have removal it's pretty much game even though you can't concede because it's not really game yet.

Standard Newzuri + Sage of Hours as well but that at least ends the game.

"Can't cast" kind of stax/prison.

Prossh can be made tame just it's easier to break him than to make him "fair." Do whatever you want though. Just recognize it could lead to more arms racing in your meta and other people being subjected to the same kind of deck obsolescence as you experienced.

Who's a fun or relatively mid tier Naya, Grixis, Temur, Esper or Mardu (or any of the RavGuilds colours really) General?

I already play Anafenza and Sakashima, they're both pretty high tier and would like something to play against my mates pre-cons.

Not getting bored of either, just looking to play something that isn't Mono-U Copy/Control or Abzan Combo/Lockdown.

Honestly I spent a week trying to make a partners deck that didn't seem completely contrived and I finally realized that you shouldn't base your deck around your partners. Just make a deck that's fun and put the partners you like at the helm. It'll work better and be more enjoyable.

Bruna/Gisela/Sigarda.

Yeah, like putting in Rohgahh and having fun commanding an army of fat Kobolds, while ignoring Food Chain/Altars/Mana Echoes etc.

Obviously weaker than a deck that just fucking wins on resolution, but still a good deck.

Children of Gaylis.

This guy on Xmage is running a deck with 30 shadowborn apostle, paradox engine, reservoir, thasios, ravos, edgewalker, rune scarred demon, earthcraft and cryptolyth rite, and its the third time he's won a game that I've been in
what the fuck is this

What colour do you play?

I was running grenzo but he went off on turn 4
he hit a mind's desire for 35 and destroyed our group. one of the cooler decks i've seen tbqh

>grenzo
Gonna have to be more specific.

But yeah that's pretty crazy.

Dungeon warden
I forgot to mention the paradoxical outcome, glimpse of nature, harvester of souls, and other shit he has
if he doesn't win with the combo he has a bunch of tools to go super big and wide and then just win
this deck is hilarious but scary good

Sounds like golgari to me.

Xmage has really funny late night chats
DesolatorMagic has a legit account on there I've heard

If you have Notion Thief out and your opponent casts Consecrated Sphinx and draws a card, would you just straight up lose unless you draw into an answer?

yup, I've run into him a few times too, called him a shitter
i had one of the higher ratings on there until i got lazy and then lost a few legacy ranked games, but even then my rating was still higher than that shitters

Yeah lol, Its why I play helm of the ghastlord in my nekusar instead of thief.

Like Nekusar needs Thief to draw any more cards.

Would you rather play
a) A netdecker with little experience playing Doomsday Zur
b) An experienced player playing their own Daghatar deck

I don't bother with the ratings because I always lose accounts due to my registry cleaner. Xmage stores your account info in: HKCU\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Prefs\mage\client
Have a look it's interesting

When I first found Xmage I played 5-6 rated matches from 800 and was at like 1500 in a day, so it made ratings feel cheap.
You can also play yourself and bump your rating with 2 copies running. I tested it out. This made me think it was kind of valueless so I don't bother. I also like when a 1600 loses to an 800, that delivers a lot of funny salt in the chat.

>enough cards
Unpossible

Experienced player always.

I don't mind being killed by anything degenerate but slow, retarded play is somewhere between boring and infuriating to sit through.

I'm looking to make an Adun Lands Matter deck with land animation as a subtheme. What's some fun jank tech with land animation in Jund?

Depends on what you mean, entertaining degenerate or boring degenerate.

For boring we have the standard competitive EDH decks.

For entertaining it is hands down one guy's Astral Slide Zur the Enchanter deck.

Nothing too bad. The worst is a guy who's mostly a Spike and he built a Riku deck that's only goal is to take as many turns in a row as possible, but we don't play with him much.

The other mild degeneracy is the Johnny who loves deckbuilding and trying wacky things. He's got like 20 decks and is always brewing something new. His decks are often vicious, but don't always go off, especially if you remember what to break. My favorite of his is

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/maralen-of-the-no-one-wants-to-play-anymore/

tl;dr it uses Maralen to tutor up Ad Nauseam and kill everyone, including himself, with Sickening Dreams.

>Maralen decks

I have literally never seen one work. People tutor removal before the maralen trigger gets back to the guy that played her.

>3 mana exile

how is this allowed? is it because they get shitty pigs?

Pongify/Rapid Hybridization son.

neither of those exiles

Shit, you're right.

Then Vindicate/Unmake unless you're talking about blue.

vindicate is destroy, you're thinking of anguished unmaking

yeah blue exile is pretty good, only downside is the sorcery speed

I think it's really underplayed

>Anguished Unmaking
God, that flavor text. Every time. It's like they were competing with Avacyn's Collar.

Cyclonic Rift.
That shit's Overload ability should read "you win the game" so that we don't have to waste our time any further.

Personally, I build competitive but play casually because there's always that asshole who pretends he doesn't know his deck is better than the rest and those need to get taken down a notch.

There are three, THREE, Brago stasis lock decks in my meta and that's all they ever play. Its fucking terrible. I have to run Raking Canopy and Skylasher in every single deck just to fucking deal with it. God I fucking hate Brago now.

Man, I'm just fucking up tonight.

>tfw my friend plays yidris MLD with cyclonic rift

Reality shift

>exiles creature
>they have a chance of getting an even better creature

Try Marath, I've heard good things about him. Considered to be the weakest of the 2013 commanders by many, so he doesn't draw hate by existing, but is still strong and enables enough build diversity to throw down hard or soft depending on the meta.

>Considered to be the weakest of the 2013 commanders by many
When his competition is Oloro, Derevi, Jenara and Prossh, yes, he's the weakest of the 5

What does everyone's collection of decks look like?

From left to right: Alesha, Atarka, Yasova, Narset, Liliana. Bonus accidentally wubrg coloured sleeves.

>Jenara
Fuck me, meant Jeleva.

Double blue mana makes it more clumsy.

It's sorcery speed removal, which is to say, generally awful.

awful is a strong word

I'd even go as far to say he waz the only fair premier commander out of the five, considering two are teir 1 and the other two just straight up fucking cheat.

But dude, it gets rid of gods. How could it be bad?

I think there's a time and place for both instant and sorcery removal. It's good to have instant speed removal, otherwise combo players can just sandbag their stuff until they have all the pieces and then just win on their turn while you sit there with a hand of sorcery removal

But sorcery removal is still good, not every deck can simply sandbag their important pieces, so you get to kill those with quality sorcery speed removal.

>sorcery speed, can't stop combos or be used push through your own
>targeted, easy to beat
>requires double blue
>gives upside
>continues giving upsides the more value you try to squeeze out of it

I've never seen it run, and I've played with and against many mono U decks. I've never even considered running it. Mono U decks want more speed, UX has better options. Terrible for EDH, at least.

You are wrong

Especially against any recursion creatures.

>terrible for edh

Edh is the format it's best in though. You can list dubious downsides if you want but it's an asymmetrical exile board wipe, the card is extremely powerful

Why can't you use sorcery speed removal to "push through your own combos" ???

Presumably you mean removing something that is preventing you from comboing, like a rest in peace preventing your gy combo, or a torpor orb preventing your palinchron combo? If so, how does sorcery speed removal not work?

Voltron? Thopter "tribal", oh my what the fuck are you doing though? Try control, imagine your commander is a constant no-fun mortar.

What are the most common stax/combo protection cards competitively? I'm trying to figure out Flash/Hulk and how to protect myself against them, or what I don't need to worry about. Like how it's safe from Torpor Orb because you can use Trike/Ballista with your undying counter, or how it's safe from Pithing Needle because you have a second creature for each activated ability you need.

B! That sounds like the most ideal opponent you could get. Very high levels a skill but with a strange love of jank, that's the one right there.

I wouldn't go as far as calling it extremely powerful or even good. It's decent, but the list of negatives keep it from being anything big.

I forget. What are the instant speed mutiple exile cards in U? Or the instant speed exile cards in U? How many?

No you're right, guy was listing only downsides so I wanted to talk up the card.

I don't run it in any of my decks, not because I think it's not worth running, but because I think it's a design mistake. Pongify and rapid hybridization are objectively insanely strong in edh, but I just think wizards fucked up by giving blue exile/destroy target creature

They could've made perfectly flavorful Polymorph effects with different mechanics

A lack of comparable cards does not make it a good card. Reality Shift is much better even if it's a single target because it's an instant. Don't run trash just because.

I need a good multiplayer (4-5 total people) commander who can win with instants and sorceries. Getting sick of trying to win by turning creatures sideways when someone wrath's of god every turn.

Thinking something like jori en or kraum, any recommendations?

clearly jori-en

some user last thread said he made a jori-en deck which had a bunch of effects on the field that triggered on the cast of an instant or sorcery. Is that what you're looking for?

Someone also suggest Mizzix Walkers.

Jeleva spellslinger is something I've always wanted to try. Basically any izzet or maybe thrasios + silas / kraum / vial / tymna

Planeswalkers don't die to wrath of God

I'm quite fond of Magmaquake and probably too fond of Fated Conflagration.

Was trying to kill someone with fireball, basically. Maybe with a wound reflection? Is that even remotely viable? Prolly kraum/vial smasher?

What do you guys thing of this as a tutor? It seems pretty good to me, but I have been wrong before about what I thought was good.

I love Reality Shift. Last time I shifted something the manifest was his sol ring.

>fireball
Comet Storm son.

I'm not a fan of it because it's sorcery speed, and it puts the card on top of your library, so unless you have a draw trigger on the way, you're not getting it until next turn

It could be EWit for that cost.

It depends what you plan on searching out. It seems like most of the time you'd be best playing Fierce Empath instead, or cutting it for EWit.

Like said, you won't be getting it that turn unless you have a draw effect, and if you don't use whatever it is you tutored for that turn then people will see it coming from a mile away. If you could flash it in and use it like a Vampiric Tutor then it would be pretty decent, but being stuck as sorcery speed pretty much insures that people will be leaving mana up for counterspells or removal. It's fine for casual metas if counterspells or removal in general is light, but in anything else, whatever you searched will die 90% of the time unless it's not seen as a threat compared to whatever else is on the table.

RiP is probably the best way to stop it.
You can always stifle the trigger though.

>a) a guy who jerks off for 5 turns until he pulls off his bullshit win while not interacting with the board at all
>b) a guy playing a rarely seen, refreshing deck with a lot of surprise tricks to keep you on your toes
Hmm I wonder which one is more interesting to face

Linvala is big, Selvala and Yisan typically run Mouth of Ronom to kill her.

I'm a shit Commander player and I don't know why I fucking try.

Because you seek validation from others.

Winning isn't exactly hard you know.

I mean, I agree with your conclusion mostly, but I think you're being pretty generous if you think daghatar is going to "keep you on your toes with surprise tricks". The problem with really bad commanders like daghatar is that you can safely ignore what they are doing, which isn't fun for anybody involved

But I mean even if they never play Agathar at all, it's still Abzan. You're basically implying that Abzan decks are entirely dependant on their general.

It is when you're me. Shit at deck building, shit at reading the board state, shit at remembering what cards do, shit at playing my own decks.

Fucking forgot about Massacre Wurm in his graveyard - when it went there the previous turn - and he has Sheoldred on the table. So like the fucking idiot I am I make a bunch of tokens.

Yes. Ghave plays entirely differently from Karador, and neither of them are like Anafenza.

You're implying that I implied implications that I did not imply. The poster I replied to mentioned "refreshing, rarely seen, surprise tricks", so I think it's reasonable to assume that this deck was a daghatar build around deck, filled with counter related Jank, and not just any old Abzan deck with a commander they would never cast

Look at what the better decks are, copy them, and slowly learn why they're better.

Make a habit of checking graveyards when it becomes relevant, especially in EDH where people hide shit.

Well one of them is a combo memer and the other abuses ETBs like a madman because he can. Anafenza though is usually played as goodstuff abzan and I'd imagine Agathar can be played in almost the same way.

Well it can always be both.

Bruse+Reyhan plays more like Anafenza than Dagathar, Doran, Karador or Ghave.

>sacrifice children
The americans were right all along, MTG is a plot to turn us into devil worshippers

Was thinkg of building a deck with mana doublers like mana flare and zhur taa ancient, pillowfort and group hug stuff with wincons being basically fireball type jag X-spells. Anyone ever done that and how did it work? I pretty much have transformed my stalwart unity to more of a token strategy instead of group hug so i was thinkg of building something new with the gay greeks

Saskia big. Mana Relfection. Zhur-Taa Ancient. Vorinclex. Mana Flare. Cast Fireball/Exsanguinate/Debt to the Deathless.

Rosheen Meanderer with mana doublers (Mana Reflection, Mana Flare), ways to untap (Magewright's Stone, Puppet Strings, Seeker of Skybreak, Wirewood Symbiote), and whatever big ass X spells you want.

Put together a hard hitting artifact deck with metal worker, darksteel golem, and eldrazi..
To put it over the top I put in modular creature, mimic vat and proliferate artifacts. There are some colorless lands like Seagate, Oran and Phyrexian core that are key

Am I a bad person for building Azami in a relatively low power level playgroup?
I just want to win some games for once.

How low are we talking?

Siguarda herons grace, in human tribal.
Synergies, boardstate protection, potential fog protection (knight captain eos + siguarda+ mana+ a graveyard) white/green enchantment/artifact/creature destruction, Fetch cards, exile... the list goes on.
Easily one of my favorite decks, nothing you can't do in these colors. devastating 1v1 with low curve, high utility, humans. giant threat in multiplayer, with token generators and boardwipes.