Prove that a character who fails the Akagi Test can still be well written. I'll wait

Prove that a character who fails the Akagi Test can still be well written. I'll wait.

Can't be done. I can't even think of a good moral character that was ever played straight and wasn't poorly written.

What does this guy have against Kenshiro?

>I can't even think of a good moral character that was ever played straight and wasn't poorly written.
Read decent fiction/stop playing with murderhobos.

It's autism.

A work of fiction can be imperfect while still retaining some value.

I never watched Fist of the Northstar but I have similar complaints to those you mention about Jojo. That said, the characters' developments are not the focus of that work. There are other aspects of it to be enjoyed, like the artwork, music, and effects.

However, I agree that better written characters would improve the overall product.

Played straight != never has any moral conflicts. Take, for example, Vash from Trigun. His character is essentially a straight "good guy" but placed in a world that constantly forces him to reconsider his morals.

>moralfag

What does Akagi have to do with anything?

Paul's character is a bit more complicated than that, imo. He's a good person at heart but the circumstances of battling the Harkonnens and later ruling as Emperor force him to become a ruthless conqueror. His regret of this and fear of the horrors his actions could create hundreds or even thousands of years later are what drive him to take a self-destructive path in Dune Messiah.

You could argue, though, that it's unrealistic for someone with that much power to not be corrupted by it, and that Paul should have held onto the throne and saved Chani, no matter what the consequences were for the rest of the galaxy. That he doesn't reveals a lot about Frank Herbert's personal philosophy. Herbert would later write that "Power does not corrupt, but it is magnetic to the easily corruptible", which implies that to a truly good person, like Paul (or his father Leto) power is burden that is taken up by the ruler on behalf of the ruled.

>I didn't understand the context of First of the North Star: the post
Complaints like this go on /a/ or, even better, on /trash/.

*fist

Explain.

Genuinely. Not trying to be an ass, I just don't know enough about fist of the North star to see where you're coming from.

Falstaff

Not him but the image was originally written because of a guy on I think /v/ who REALLY hated FotNS and went on and about how Akagi was amazing and "a mature show for mature gentlemen like me". I'm not saying that to meme, that basically was his exact words.

Which kinda ignores that most of Akagi's character is purely that he does what he does because he doesn't care if he lives or dies.

Simply put, it's a bait image, with OP strawmaning FotS and Kenshiro for bait purposes.
While he is rather straightforward, he is still more nuanced than that. Plus, the original manga in general went for idealised characters and character types rather than realistic ones. Which is not necessarily good or bad.

Superman. Go read All Star Superman or 'What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?'

He's not always well written but no character that's lasted that long is consistently well written.

FotNS takes place in a post-apocalyptic setting where the bulk of the enemies that Kenshiro kills are either CE raiders who are over 10 ft. tall and capable of lifting steel girders with their bare hands or arrogant kung-fu guys who abused their martial arts prowess to abuse people under their "care" and worked under the Big Bad of the series.

Nobody who gets murdered by Ken didn't deserve it for one reason or another and outside of Ken and his friends, most of the setting is actually as bitter and depressing as you'd expect for a place that's mostly a desert with nothing but empty buildings dotting the landscape.

It was the 80s, and FotNS was probably the first post-apoc story written in japan that featured a ruined, wasteland-like setting where bandits and brigands were free to do as they pleased, with Kenshiro as the "only straight man".tm set on a quest to right the world's wrongs while exploding he head of every bad guy. In a sense, he is the prototype of a certain kind of hero in japanese media, and while the execution might be goofy sometimes (or rather often), it is mostly because it was sort of an experiment done in the era in which japanese comics were starting their sudden growth.

>It was the 80s, and FotNS was probably the first post-apoc story written in japan that featured a ruined, wasteland-like setting where bandits and brigands were free to do as they pleased

Violence Jack came before FotNS, and was even darker than that.

>probably

>probably

I know, just thorwing some trivia in.

Now that's a bait I haven't seen in a long time.

A long time.

Hey you know who's a better character than Akagi

Funny because his character is that he's a piece of shit and exclusively hangs around worthless piles of garbage

Saitama.

That image is retarded.

FotNS makes it clear that Toki would have been the best successor, but due to Toki's radiation sickness, Kenshiro is the best second option. He might not be as good as Toki, but he's certainly less brutal than Raoh.

Let's not discuss Jagi.

Samurai Jack

Don't take him seriously. His picture is ten years old and we haven't fed this particular troll in like eight years.

Maybe a few more and it'll starve.

/thread

>'if any work of fiction does not include the above it is well written'

>people still respond seriously

We can take a bait and have a discussion over it if it pleases us, fisherman-sensei.

But anything that could ever have been discussed of this was already gone through ten years ago. You are either children following the mistakes of the previous generation, or senile old men rambling about the same old bullshit.

Talk about something new instead.

Season 3 never

Isnt this the whole point of paladins?
they are able to be moral absolutists because their morals come from a source of authority (in this case god) characters who base their morality entirely personally are boring in my opinion

I personally think that playing with these archetypes is the thing from which I derive most pleasure. I like a Paladin that follows his god out of conviction even though he has moral qualms about it or his personal morals are different. Also appreciated are characters who struggle in keeping their morals, who still have to integrate theit Jungian shadow, so to speak.

It also ignore's the fact that Akagi himself is pretty moral. While he gets his jollies risking death, Akagi himself never does anything particularly amoral, and usually goes out of his way to punish evil or abusive people.

Yea I agree to some extent but that can often lead too some really edgy characters if you don't do it right

It also had the most amazing dub of all time.

>STOP IT, YOU'RE SHOOTING EACH OTHER!

Indeed so, but if we are going to simplify characters like kenshiro into its skeleton, Paul Atreides almost fits the entirety of "the moralfag". In fact, i believe that in dune, either in Muad'dib or prophet books in the actual book, they, in simplified form, state "Atreides good, Harkonnen bad. Atreides kill Harkonnen." Or it was an excerpt from one of princess Irulean's quotes. Of course, even if Paul Atreides has these qualities, it does not mean he is not well writen. Thus Smug Atreides is my counterpoint to OP's bait discussion.

THE IRONY OF COURSE IS THAT NOT ONLY HAS Veeky Forums HATED MORALFAGS FOR YEARS, ESPECIALLY KENSHIRO, BUT WILLINGLY SUCKED AKAGI'S COCK WHEN HE WAS FIRST STARTING OUT AND OFTEN WOULD WILLINGLY GIVE HIM AMMUNITION TO USE ON OTHER BOARDS

YOU WILL IGNORE THIS POST BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT ANY LESS TRUE NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOUR REVISIONIST AGENDA TRIES TO SPIN IT

>Kenshiro
>bad
Is this what we've come to?

you're aware Veeky Forums has always hated him right?

Ghost Rider?

Have you spent the last eight years in suspended animation? The whole thing hasn't even come up in all this time.

It's like striding to Berlin now and loudly announcing Germany has always hated Jews.

put on your trip and go back to Veeky Forums my dude

Kenshiro hardly shows up in Veeky Forums discussions and when he does it generally seems to be positive such as the "Veeky Forums anime list" or the manly tears meme.

>Veeky Forums is one person
Given the amount of people on this board who play paladins and vouch for LG as the one true alignment, I'd say you are objectively wrong.

THAT'S WRONG MY KIKE FRIEND, GO CHECK THE ARCHIVES AND YOU'D SEE NOTHING HAS CHANGED ONE FUCKING IOTA. AKAGI REALLY SHOULD BE CONGRATULATED FOR HIS SUCCESS FOR CREATING SO MANY DRONES THAT CARRY ON HIS MESSAGE LONG AFTER HE'S GONE. YOU SHOULD BE PROUD TO BE THE PRODUCTIVE LITTLE WORKER BEE YOU ARE BUDDY! CONGRATS!!

>put on your trip and go back to Veeky Forums my dude

Kenshiro.

This guy sounds like the kind of DM that forces the paladin to fall. Edgelords should just be ignored and banned from creating content.

>emps
>a moralfag

The Emperor is written as the epitome of "fuck you I do what I want and damn the potential consequences"

Samuel Vimes.
>He's the chief of police for a high fantasy metropolis. No sane person would walk up to a 9' tall living chunk of granite with diamond teeth and tell it that he is under arrest, much less have backup in doing so.
>Hypocritical
Uh, no, he doesn't murder anyone... actualy, I can only directly recall two people who he's killed, one was with significant warning about the nature of his weapon, which the victim actually leapt into the line of fire of in order to catch the projectile... the other was Carver. Carver does not change later in life. Carver was dead before Vimes had his first pair of leather - soled boots. Time travel shenanigans. Long story short: he's his own mentor, and carver was a bastard.
>Manchild
The paragraph does not actually reflect on the title, so, Sam Vimes does think about what he does, specifically how to do the right thing the right way. His morality is constant throughout and nothing he does violates his own morality, no matter how grimey that may seem.
>Unlikable
No, people pretty damn well like him.
>Shounen
He is a moral policeman. Startlingly reflective of a real person.
>Only show one emotion.
... nope. He's mostly inquisitive, though. Funniest bit was probably the spinning maids from his last book.

Does anyone think it's weird to include the incredibly moralistic argument "you can't just kill people for being bad because they might have a change of heart" in this tirade? Isn't that contradictory?

You expect consistent moral views from an edgelord? They fall on whichever side benefits them most: wanting mercy for everything *they* have done, but having no empathy for anyone else. It's like looking at the morality of a teenager.

Edgefags like OP don't know anything about the morals they claim to hate. They pretty much want freedom of consequence, and being able to be evil without repercussions (such as the hero getting sick of their shit and killing them) is the ultimate wet dream of these degenerates.

You would know, wouldn't you Veeky Forums trash? Fucking rats that you are.

Of course we know. We were teenagers like you once.

Says the ultimately petulant fool who wishes to do anything and everything without regret or consequence.

>Xenomorph
>Sexy-scary
What?

Just play GTA with cheats on. You'll get everything you want. Do whatever, no consequences.

Dude, the xenomorph is a rape allegory. it's head is shaped like a penis. It plants a seed inside of you that tears you apart from within. Xenomorphs are scary-sexy.

Goat Simulator is even better for that. No police. No enemies. just you, your tongue, maybe a jetpack..

Kenshiro is self-justifying power fantasy about revenge. Some people just dislike such things.

Well isn't this a blast from the past.

How many of you were actually here in 2009?

Raoh will do anything to feel like he won

Don't forget that they were specifically designed to invoke both male and female reactions in a person's brain. And designed to be sexually appealing despite how hideous they are. Everything about them was meant to make people feel REALLY uncomfortable.

>Not realistic; their actions and decisions simply aren't founded in any reasonable human behavior
Jesus. Or any larger-than-life martyr character, for that matter.

Every part of it is designed to look like something erotically evocative, with an overall design of an apex predator covered in spikes. It's also supposed to be somewhat emasculating in how it overpowers, rapes and kills big buff marines.

Its fucking spooky.

I remember being so fucking confused by the person making that argument and trying to engage with them and explain how literally nothing they said was making sense but they simply got angrier.

It's Scary-sexy.

X axis labels take precedence over Y axis ones.

Sexy-scary is that one MTG girl with the big booty and a boomerang taped to her head.

Ahhh, thanks user.

>hungry hungry hippos
i laughed way more than i should

But that is the absolute, unvarnished truth. DEUS VULT!

You haven't actually read it, have you?

I don't get Hungry-sexy (blue hair) and Faggy-Hungry (Sunglasses - kebab?)

video games

I highly doubt Marxist pieces of shit like Veeky Forums even had enough braincells to rub together to 'realize' traditional morals were bad until you were galvanized by your overlords.
But now you can hammer out ten paragraphs to your heart's content about why moralfags are problematic and dragging down fiction and feel like a champ when your fellow parasites gather around here to jerk you off.

This shouldn't expand dong, but it does.

>board full of pseudo-intellectual numales feels both threatened but smugly superior to strong masculine characters who embody good moral values

wow who could've predicted this outcome???

Don Quixote, The Bible, The Green Knight, Faerie Queene, Piers Ploughman, Berserk, The Worm Ouroboros

Oh, and Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters.

Sorry, which board are you talking about? Veeky Forums is full of neck beard mysogynist white knight moralfag edgelords, remember?

this is unironically true

Paul knew he had to do horrible things and give up his own humanity to save their civilization from some great catastrophe, but stopped halfway because he didn't have the balls to become one with the worm and take the mantle of God Emperor.
That's pretty realistic to me.

...what is going on in this thread?

Three intellectual discussions that are separate from each other all of which spawned from OP's shitty bait.
1. Morality vs amorality.
2. Sexy aliens from alien.
3. Dune

And then people talking about old Veeky Forums

Saitama obeys none of those points.

>The Bible
>not poorly written

Uh, yeah. It's generally considered at the pinnacle of western literature. Because it's really fucking good.

I assume he means Jesus since he also says Berserk as in the entire manga

>never read the Bible
It's not good. It's not well-written. Most of it can't even be considered Western, much less the pinnacle of such literature. Do you even think before you post?

>NO, YOU ARE WRONG!
uh-huh

Well yeah. OT shit DEFINITELY doesn't have "good moral characters which are played straight".

You can't think of any possible reason for the Bible's notability other than its literary merit? Like the fact that people believed and still believe it in whole or in part to have been literally true?

You don't think something which is religiously influential can't also be well-written?

He said 'intellectual' discussions.