Orcs

Which fantasy universe does orcs best?

Tolkien depicted them as degenerate elves. They were small and weak, but tenacious and cunning.

Warcraft treated them as noble savages, with strong physiques, good souls, and a shamanistic culture.

DnD treats them as the archetypal chaotic evil fodder race. They are large and strong like Warcraft orcs, but nasty and degenerate like Tolkien orcs.

What do you think is the best take on them?

Mine.

I love orkz in 40k. Could do without the accent, though.

Spelljammer Scro are best orcs

Crocs are the best orcs.

>Tolkien depicted them as degenerate elves. They were small and weak, but tenacious and cunning.
They were small, but frequently described as "strong" too; it was more like they were short little deformed people with broad muscles I guess.
>Warcraft treated them as noble savages, with strong physiques, good souls, and a shamanistic culture.
Eventually.
>DnD treats them as the archetypal chaotic evil fodder race. They are large and strong like Warcraft orcs, but nasty and degenerate like Tolkien orcs.
Ironically your assumption basically is that the only orcs that have ever existed in D&D are 3e orcs and later; in prior D&D editions orcs were quite different and functioned and looked far closer to Tolkien.
WarCraft's orcs were more influential and popularly known though, so changes came about to the race around 3e and especially 4e.

I enjoy my orcs in elder scrolls universe, I like to play sword and board and they sure do make it fun

>Warcraft treated them as noble savages, with strong physiques, good souls, and a shamanistic culture.

So ya know nothing of Warcraft then. They literally became evil by drinking demon blood and all became evil due to that and it is why they became green.

On topic: 40k Orks do it best. The spore shit and their unique biology gives a good excuse as to how they can be so warlike and actually sustain a population given they are usually tribes and don't have a gigantic population. Plus they bring their own environment with them and have other orkoids to do work for them so Orks can be in a total state of war.

>The spore shit and their unique biology gives a good excuse as to how they can be so warlike and actually sustain a population given they are usually tribes and don't have a gigantic population. Plus they bring their own environment with them and have other orkoids to do work for them so Orks can be in a total state of war.

It's a good explanation in that universe anyway, though some of that is definite over-simplification of orcs through multiple increasingly simplified retellings of the concept over time.
Warhammer's orcs were in fact the very first ones who were "always at war", and even that is mostly a later then 4th edition thing and 40k thing.

no, mine

>in prior D&D editions orcs were quite different and functioned and looked far closer to Tolkien.
and still some people here claim D&D wasn't significantly Tolkien-inspired

yeah, I remember how in Tolkien's books the orcs were actually given time to replenish their numbers after the Battle of Five Armies; there's like 70 years of time in between then and the LotR trilogy, and before that you saw tiny raiding parties but no huge armies.

I think Tolkien understood how armies and gathering forces worked better then later authors who made them 100% waging huge battles all the time.

D&D takes inspiration from multiple sources, Tolkien includes.
There's a lot of retards in here that thing that means it has to be 100% faithful or it doesn't count, or discounts that it's been over thirty years since D&D was created and it's been through some changes since then.
Tolkien's backgrounds gave him a stronger understanding of the subject of armies.

I would say I like DnD the most tho I prefer Orcs to be more like a force of nature than anything else. Dealing with Orcs should be like dealing with a hurricane, earthquake or avalanche: You can prepare yourself for them but you can never get rid of them or prevent them.

Pic related.

>Which fantasy universe does orcs best?

Demon Tokyo from Taimanin Asagi

>Even has to ask who da best Orks are

It's a shame that they've become so 1-dimensional as 40k editions have progressed.

I recall reading some of the early 40K/RT books and being amazed at how different they were. There was even a faction of Orks that dressed up in imperial-looking uniforms and had human commissars because it was seen as posh.

The kind with pig snouts that rape slutty elves.

Porcs?

I unironically like Warcraft orcs the best, sans everything Cataclysm and later.

Giant green murder machines that shoot lightning sometimes. How can humans even compete?

I don't hate the whole spore thing but it seemed like a needless "our space orcs are more different" type deal, or simply as a way to explain why there were no female orks.

Arthas>Ner'zhul
Turalyon>Doomhammer

Doomhammer was a big ass orc fighting an old ass Lothar and still had to resort to ambushing him with a bunch of bloodlusted ogres to win.