What's the lowest-status job in the traditional game industries

What's the lowest-status job in the traditional game industries.

Dice tester?

Being THAT guy.

Are those guys paid?

Same as everywhere - being the guy/woman who cleans up the toilets.

Shoe shiners don't usually look like that, or get those kinds of customers.

A more realistic depiction is basically every movie ever that features wallstreet assholes getting their shoes shined.

Someone who volunteers to demo or judge for free.

Social media manager

the postman who delivers my miniatures and/or supplies. He's so low status he almost isn't part of the industry.

Veeky Forums shillposter.

Damn, beaten by 2 posts.

Actually it's the interns.

Forum janitor/Comment Quality Assurance.

In-House Designer at Alderac Entertainment Group.

I feel like being in the traditional game industry is already so low status as to make differentiating pointless.

This is something the vast majority of people do as a hobby. Like, I've written supplements and games. But I have a day job. Most of the "industry" is the same, although a lot of them are trying the whole freelance writer across all media thing now. Not really working for most of them.

Playtester. Unpaid work, often that you have to buy the rulebook to do.

Privateer Press playtester.

Yes! This.

AoS shill

Typesetting/Layout
Even though it's the most important job.
In the entire history of traditional gaming, nobody has ever said "I want to be the guy that does the layout!" Most of the people in the industry have no regards or idea of design or layouts, as evidenced by the fact that most books of any genre are complete dogshit to read and 99% of card games look like a shitty summer project made in GIMP by a 16 year old, even though they have pretty good artworks.

Either learn proper design or hire a fucking professional you idiots, your books are fucking unreadable.

maybe it's because my dad was a typesetter before he retired but bad typesetting really irks me

>I feel like being in the traditional game industry is already so low status as to make differentiating pointless.
user, people naturally form hierarchies. And the lower you are on the ladder, the closer the rungs get, and the more obsessive people get about not slipping lower. "I may be a [nerd], but at least I'm not one of those [lower types of nerd]" is a familiar phrase for a reason.

Store clerk.

Being a subcontractor/freelancer for Palladium Books.

Warehouse monkey, loading pallets of books onto trucks. But they probably farm that out.

In-house, I'd guess proofreader?

I've actually been working on putting out some (small, free) pdfs of my stuff and part of the process is trying to learn how to properly format everything.

Any advice on where to start, people to read?

Currently using Scribus for what it's worth.

GMing. No pay, no respect (even if you murder your players), and rarely satisfying.

This, at least janitors and distributors have job stability and will be there doing exactly the same job for someone else when the industry collapses.
Interns waste years doing chores for peanuts building "experience" that isn't respected in any company other than the one they're interns for.

That's because editorial design is the last well paid area of /gd/, so a lot of companies let stupid interns or "artists" do the deed and it shows.

Games Workshop store employee.

This. Any kind of tester, in any industry ever is the bottom of the totem pole. Nobody ever says "we don't need janitors, we don't get this pace that dirty, so it doesn't need cleaning!" But "Why do we need testers? We know how to make a good product, and the developers can test their own stuff just fine." is a conversation that is had everywhere.

If it's not satisfying, you're doing something wrong