Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Oh no! Your character rolled a natural 1 against a Helm of Opposite Alignment!
d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/cursed-items/
What are they like now?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/quSzkadj

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=f9d0vFCmgK4
d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/feats/#TOC-Advanced-Study-Combat-
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>helm of opposite alignment

>posts kitsune

Really makes you think

Why haven't you made a character from the feared and far-famed Land of the Linnorm Kings yet?

Is Stalker a good rogue replacement? I want to do a sort of generic Ninja type but whenever I look at the dex classes they just seem like horrible garbage to me.

But I have!

Well...

>The barbarian
Probably realizes that she needs to commit to something, either becoming a free-spirited CG seeker of love, or she drops the façade and goes CE-tier raping and pillaging.

>The mesmerist
Goes from CN to LN, likely uses his mental powers to help people, rather than for his own amusement. Becomes the team therapist.

>The shifter
N, so he commits to something. Either a free-spirited CG lover, or a CE thief who gives into his primal side

I have, 's pretty fun.

Stalker fits. Vigilante focuses more on skillmonkeying, however, which is more "rogue"-ish. Also it gets sneak attack

Tell us more about your Northerners.

>What are they like now?
CE->LG, then. She'd immediately retire and become a sculptor who made wooden figurines. I mean, if this happened in battle she'd just walk away.

>Is Stalker a good rogue replacement? I want to do a sort of generic Ninja type but whenever I look at the dex classes they just seem like horrible garbage to me.
It's a bit sparse on skill points to do all the rogue things, since rogues need way too many skills to "do rogue things". That said, it's extremely solid anyways and is, like all initiators, great in combat.

>gotten better
No, she has nightmares every night she sleeps alone and maintains a cynical, selfish outlook on life
>killed mother
Not yet, and that's quite the tall order. Mother and daughter share the same Patron. Betraying both of them would be nigh impossible for her to pull off and live.

There's two of them: one of them is a murderer and sailor who was exiled, the other is a tiny, pubescent elf teen who compensates for her shortness by being cute

>Oh no! Your character rolled a natural 1 against a Helm of Opposite Alignment!

Well that's a scary thought. Elsbeth's ideals would trump her rationality, and her compassion would be tossed out the window, making her CE. She'd indulge her egotism and embrace her cult's fanaticism. She would likely become the next BBEG.

>That second character

Cute

What cult would that be?

She sounds like a real piece of work! What kinda nightmares does she experience? Mom just being a shit person?

>tfw TN to TN but now likes salt and pepper on his eggs rather than hot sauce
He's practically less than human now.

Hm...

>Warlord || Bard, NG -> NE
Initially doesn't change a whole lot, his jokes become a lot more mean spirited, starts taking whatever he wants, and goes out of his way to pick fights/hurt people. Probably ends up teaming up with Nualia.

>Vigilante N -> LE, CG -> LE
Basically ends up selling out the entire rebellion, in exchange for a lifetime supply goddamn mint tea.

>Mystic, NG -> NE
Returns to her old self. Stealing, killing, dealing drugs, really just doing whatever she can to get ahead of the rest of the party, and stay there.

I've always found 'alignment swap' things to be weird. How the fuck is that supposed to be played? What impact does a character's alignment have on their actions? Does it cause an immediate re-evaluation of everything they do to see if it fits with their new alignment, or would it take time to kick in? It's just weird.

And it's not a flat 'you have to stay this alignment' either, so there's a decent chance that they'll drift back to what they were.

Rolled 1 (1d4)

>Human Brawler
Face -> Heel.

>Human Brawler|Magus
Rolling a d4. 1 - LG, 2 - CG, 3 - LE, 4 - CE. Probably still rude in any event, she's 7 CHA.

>Dhampir Inquisitor
She becomes everything she ever hated - her original pre-brainwashing alignment.

>Gnome Spiritualist
>"Tee hee! You know, they say I'm possessed by an evil spirit! But they're wrong! I AM the evil spirit! This idiot's just stuck with me!"

>Half-Elf Oracle|Warlord
youtube.com/watch?v=f9d0vFCmgK4

>Enjoying salt and pepper on your eggs rather than Satan's puckered ass-juice is bad

It's a null point I guess, since everyone here knows the greatest way to prepare eggs is sunny side up with three pieces of soft white toast to soak up the yellow.

>neutral to some extreme commitment (LE, LG, CE, or CG)

They're all going to get raped, aren't they.

>Not softboiled eggs with buttered toast cut up into dipping sticks.

PLEBIAN

She would be a really young elf girl, though. Like, middle of puberty elf, driven by hormones. Lewdness on the mind, but needing someone to guide her so that she doesn't end up making bad decisions!

She's also unusually short for an elf. What she doesn't have vertically, she'll soon make up for... in other ways.

The idea is that they do an immediate 180 on their ideals, beliefs, and moral character.

>bad guys just lie to PC's faces
>I roll the PC's sense motive checks so they don't know the numbers they roll, they just ask me to make one and I tell them the result
>they just intrinsically believe everything people tell them
>act shocked and angry whenever any NPC has the audacity to lie to them

Is hard-boiled allowed?

To clarify.

>Brawler is NG -> NE
>Brawler | Magus is apparently N -> LG
>Inquis is LN bordering on LE -> CN bordering on CG
>Spiri is LG -> CE
>Oracle|Warlord is NG -> NE

That's what I said, he went to TN to CE.

It doesn't say that though, just the alignment.

They'd need time to realize that their views on certain things have changed. And what about the fact that they're well aware that they HAVE been alignment swapped?

The awareness is just... not addressed at all.

You said
>TN to TN

>They're all going to get raped, aren't they.
Very yes.
prison banzoku no ori

>Hey, uh, so this is gonna be a weird question.
>What?
>Is it normal to gain the sudden and irresistible urge to murder everyone I've previously cared for and pilfer every one of their possessions?
>No, why?
>Oh, no reason~!

Stalker (vigilante) is just STRICTLY better than regular stalker.

>What cult would that be?

It's a bit of a mixed bag; more like a bunch of impressionable young mages and aspiring hunters pooling their fanaticism together. And the fact that their prayers towards Elsbeth is, in fact, generating magic for them isn't dispelling their faith anytime soon.

The way my group's been playing it is that alignment is more of a blanket description/archetype that a character behaves rather than alignment being what dictates the character's actions. Something like a sudden alignment shift might be due to a traumatic event that caused some kind of epiphany, and the alignment shift would be that character taking their time to slowly find out where they stand.

In the case with this damn helmet though, is likely right on the money: After failing the save against it, the wearer's personality and beliefs flip and behave as if they'd always been like that (hence why they react with horror to the notion of being subjected to an Atonement to revert them).

>And it's not a flat 'you have to stay this alignment' either, so there's a decent chance that they'll drift back to what they were.

When placed upon the head, this item’s curse immediately takes effect (Will DC 15 negates). On a failed save, the alignment of the wearer is radically altered to an alignment as different as possible from the former alignment—good to evil, chaotic to lawful, neutral to some extreme commitment (LE, LG, CE, or CG). Alteration in alignment is mental as well as moral, and the individual changed by the magic thoroughly enjoys his new outlook. A character who succeeds on his save can continue to wear the helmet without suffering the effect of the curse, but if he takes it off and later puts it on again, another save is required.

Only a wish or a miracle can restore a character’s former alignment, and the affected individual does not make any attempt to return to the former alignment. In fact, he views the prospect with horror and avoids it in any way possible. If a character of a class with an alignment requirement is affected, an atonement spell is needed as well if the curse is to be obliterated. When a helm of opposite alignment has functioned once, it loses its magical properties.

Hmm

>CN sorcerer now LG, turns from rich self interested schemer into LG Richard Branson

Wow that's the shittiest fucking item in existence.

"No you're evil now. Yes you have to like it."

She's a gentle, compassionate young girl who genuinely cares about others and wants the best for everyone. She forgives those who slight her, and wishes only to enrich the lives of the people around her any way she can, even to the point of donating all her wealth beyond basic subsistence to the needy.

You wanna know the worst part?

When you have to choose between keeping the useful murderer around or getting your ineffectual-but-much-more-likable friend back in a life-or-death situation. Especially if you might never be able to get them back to normal later.

>Something like a sudden alignment shift might be due to a traumatic event that caused some kind of epiphany
Don't care about the rest of the discussion but you must know that if you sustain specific brain damage, you may become a psychopath.

That's what happened to Henry IIX. Very kind, beloved; then horse accident. 30 minutes in coma. Became THE Henry IIX we know.

>IIX

Do you mean VIII?

Why don't you just mass produce them and keep placing and removing on every evil guy you manage to capture until they fail their saves?

N Alchemist bordering on a shift to evil. Fully embraces the hate and becomes CE plotting the genocide of the race of the man that accidentally caused her friends deaths

Because I'm pretty sure that'd be a CE act.

Disk please go.

Because using them is evil as fuck.

Witch hunter user pls go.

That's still very, extremely cute, and sweet in a sort of coming-of-age way! Is this character currently in a campaign? I hope she has that good influence in her life keeping the chesty teen in line!

Why don't evil people do that then?

>I AM BETRAYAL

What did he mean by this?

Well yeah, if anything's hit hard enough the hardware's probably gonna get jumbled in some way.

Because that's a good way to get an honest-to-the-gods CRUSADE declared on you, or even get a personal hostile visit from a Good deity.

I mean, can you imagine how Erastil would feel if you rounded up a nation's worth of good, hardworking salt-of-the-earth folk and brainwashed them into a brigand army of unprecedented size?

The only emotions he was capable of feeling at that point were hatred, anger, despair, and agony, all caused by you abandoning your family and Hoshido and ending thousands of lives.

Also, he was possessed after his suicide by an evil dragon god, whose MO is to turn mortals against each other because he's gone insane.

>She sounds like a real piece of work! What kinda nightmares does she experience? Mom just being a shit person?

Torture and suffering, mostly. Everything from psychologically devastating hexes and curses to vicious assault by monsters and thugs, all for the purpose of education in the magical arts and other skills, to mold her into a useful pawn. Mom also never gave her a present for her birthday.

But he's not betrayal. YOU are betrayal.

Too many foxes.

He'd probably just shoot the offender with God Arrows himself at that point.

It was a character for a campaign that I MIGHT have rejoined, but never had a chance to, after leaving. I still keep them around and think about submitting them to a /pfg/ campaign, though

She'd have been in a party with a single dad, though, which would've likely helped rein in her perverted teenage elf mind.

>Warder | Warpriest LN bordering on LE becomes CN bordering on CG
He becomes a stubborn, hot-headed advocate of freedom.

Also, 'both are evil now' doesn't mean that someone's going to like you any more.

It's an alignment swap, not a hench-o-matic.

How does advance study from half Devore work? Does it allow me to take Maneuvers at a higher level?

so I think at some point there will be a group of paladins sent after my evil necromancer wizard due to me being a branded a heretic and escaping justice in session 1. How do I convince a group of neutral aligned party members to do help me fight them?

Link to what you're talking about, please. I'm fairly sure I know the answer, but need to check the exact wording and am away from book.

Is it worth taking Mithral Current Style and its associated feats?

Both this and the polar opposite, when PCs assume that every NPC is lying to them and are constantly rolling Sense Motive, are both infuriating.

At least the latter can be excused as the players putting thought into the motivations of the NPCs.

Ah, that's a shame! The concept sounds sweet enough, and if played respectably would be something I'd really want to watch unfold as a fellow party member!

Hold onto that character, because it's a cute one.

Mithral Current Style is meh. Generally an initiator will have better things to do with their swift actions, but if you've got a really high bluff it might be decent.
Mithral Current Flow is amazing at shutting down full attacks against you.
Mithral Current Slice is basically a flat 50% increase in damage output on your first attack each round if you're going full iaijutsu. It's batshit good.

Pardon, forget that MCS allows dance checks for the feints.
Still not great, since it's way too dependent on what you're fighting. Dodgy foes die to it, big mountains of meat don't care.

Oh most definitely. If I weren't in three games and looking for a job I'd submit them to TSS or Kobold Quest

If Mithral Current Flow could be combined with Veiled Moon Style (maybe MoMS), you could literally teleport behind enemies and unsheathe your katana.

You're not wrong.

Sell me on Fool's Errand. What does it do? Is it any good for 6th level initiators?

I guess if we're discussing PoW...

I want to run a campaign where everyone is an initiator. What're all the ways this could go wrong and what're the specific preparations I need to make other than preparing initiation archetypes for all the remaining full and half-martials?

The idea is that his possessed corpse now believes himself to be The Spirit Of Betrayal & Vengeance, basically.

Someone get him outta here.

And where's that DWP guy?

Who?

>tfw no hormonal teenager to keep in line

FE has a 4th level Maneuver that lets you copy any maneuver you've seen, regardless of discipline or level; Lesson III: Suppression is a solid stance that makes all targets flatfooted to your first attack per round; Boosts and maneuvers that let you throw enemies around the field like rag dolls. 6th level Initiators lose out on some of FE's most powerful and hilarious shit, but they get the discipline's fundamentals at 6th and below.

See, you say these things but don't realize just how stressful they can be. Not only are you trying to teach and protect a young woman flowering into womanhood, you've gotta keep her on the straight and narrow away from rascals and ruffians who want to see just how she looks underneath all those clothes.

Having a voluptuous figure and being an Elf just amplifies these issues by a magnitude.

And no, you're not going to fuck her.

Someone who'd do that isn't family.
With any luck, she'll have plenty of folks willing to offer their aid when the time comes to take the old hag down.

>What does it do?
A decent grapple mechanic, the ability to use Climb to fly, and being able to attack people with air-pressure from punching the air.

now, id have to check it again, so I don't know what good 6th level stuff it has, but I'd imagine it has a few

Are you implying that I don't have to do that shit anyway?

>Decent

Lock is janky in a number of ways.

d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/feats/#TOC-Advanced-Study-Combat-

From what I can tell, as you meet the prerequisite field you can learn a manuever or stance of any level

Meant for

How so?

Maneuver learning is the fucking jankiest thing.

The order you take your levels in matters, Advanced Study sends the whole thing into a fucking mess, and maneuvers meeting their own prerequisites is dumb as fuck.

Does your character have any significant wounds or scars? Doesn't have to inform their development too much, just so long as it adds a little insight into them.

For me,
>Character 1 has a large scar on his abdomen from when he jumped between a boar and his master
>Character 2 has every kind of scarring there is somewhere on his body from various kinds of experiments or gladiatorial combat
>Character 3 has a large discolored patch under one of his arms where a vestigial arm was removed when he was an infant--because that babby was weird enough as it was

Edgelords, you know what to do.

You still have to meet all prerequisites. So no, you can't get 9th level maneuvers at 1st level. You could certainly get more 9ths at 17 though.

I want to protect this elf's smile! I also want to take her on a date out on the water front, watching the stars, holding her hand! All with the permission of her guardian! I'll prove myself a good man for her!

Okay cool, so a Myrmidon Fighter could still get level 7+ manuevers through Advanced Study?

Current character has a scar on one hand and another on her other arm from accidents while trying to construct some technological traps from scraps found around her home in Torch.

It's still early in her adventuring career though, and she may well earn a few more before things are done.

>alright let's test out mid-level archery real quick and-
>SPLAT
>SPLAT
>SPLAT

sweet jesus

Does Rapid Shot come online before iteratives? I legit don't remember.

So I've been in a campaign for a few levels now with restrictions to basic classes, but now the DM has opened up hybrid classes. I've taken four levels of rogue thus far with a ranged focus.

I'm looking at Slayer, the rogue and ranger hybrid and was wondering if this is a good move or not. We don't have a tracker of any kind as of yet and we're on the heels of a goblin cult.

Anything else skill wise or feat wise to keep an eye out for?

Yes

It does

Slayer is generally pretty good. Are you an unchained rogue?

Slayer if you want to be doing combat, Investigator if you want skills

depends on race/class, but it can come online as soon as level 1.
I got to experience a hasted manyshot+rapid shot, with copious numbers of crits

Oh. Oh yes.

YESSS.