When did you realize Magic: the Gathering's lore was a complete and utter garbage heap and why was it that time this...

When did you realize Magic: the Gathering's lore was a complete and utter garbage heap and why was it that time this bitch destroyed the only interesting plane in the Multiverse?

Other urls found in this thread:

talinthas.tumblr.com/post/150111624732/kaladesh-you-break-my-heart
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Innistrad's still intact, just human population is fucked since Avacyn's and the angels are gone, Sorin's in a stone coma, and werewolf population is probably going to go unchecked.

Just wait another 5-10 years for Return to Innistrad and we get to see how Wizards retcon everything not being completely fucked and/or Emrakul breaking the moon

>wait another 5-10 years
>Gatewatch Saves The Furfag Plane
Ugh, no thanks.

>When did you realize Magic: the Gathering's lore was a complete and utter garbage heap
Somewhere in the fourth year of the Weatherlight crew when I started to realize that those faggots weren't going away.
Also hi Chandere. You're not doing a very good job of not making yourself obvious.

I noticed that in the turn of the millennium.

But Nahiri actually finally made Innistrad interesting. Lovecraftian horror is far more intriguing than "lol vampires r sexe"

But that bitch isn't the one who destroyed the only interesting plane in the Multiverse. You must be thinking of this bitch.

I don't understand your question. I always realized that.

Why is Gideon literally the worst character

MtG lore was good only up until the Weatherlight/Urza saga.
Mercadia & Invasion were utter dogshit.
Bradywalkers were even worse.

Fuck those writers.

Gideon is great when he's not ruining everything. Now however, he's ruining everything.

>missing comma in the +2 ability
>artist name spelled wrong

How can you fuck up this bad?

>>missing comma in the +2 ability
It's worse than that. The +2 ability is actually supposed to be two sentences.

Are you sure Amonkhet isn't "the furfag plane" ?

At the rate Innistrad is going it's gonna be Woofland by the time we see it again

You seem upset OP. Maybe I can summon you a shoulder to cry on.

I understand it's trash, but I love it anyway

When I realized that the five colours of magic are the same as the five types of chromatic dragons from dnd. Real original wizards.

Bet you LOVED this shit.

Back when I read the tempest book.
Which is also the set I joined in.

Are there people that NOT knew it wasn't great?

>caring about lore

most players dont even know there is lore

MTG lore has been fucking shallow since day 1 but it didn't matter. Only in the last few years have they tried to force the same characters down your throat every single set. How many fucking Gideons and Nissas do we really need?

Right around the time when I became aware that there was an actual story, rather than mostly unconnected bits of lore that the various flavor text allude to.

Whoa whoa whoa! Don't talk shit about Ken Tropp or his magical realm.

The lore has always been one of the worst parts of the game.

Its always the problem where the setting lore is cool and interesting, but the plot and especially the metaplot is a pile of garbage. When can we get back to stuff like the original ravnica storyline, or kamigawa? Those might not have been amazing, but they were cool and fun.

All of the Magic story posts are probably just some shitty freelance writer that they hired to flesh out the details. They create an interesting world and then they pay someone who can't get a novel published a thousand dollars and they shit it out in a weekend.

Apart me doesn't mind cause I want more lore about the werewolves cause Ulrich and Arlin have been kind to me when I've been playing my deck.

Fucking furfaggot

>We could have had New Phyrexia spreading across the Multiverse but instead we got Gatewatch ruining plane after plane

Was Nahiri planned when they printed Stoneforge Mystic or did they just see the opportunity to turn a character on an iconic card into a character and run with it?

The Lithomancer existed as a vague character when Zendikar first came out, some ancient protector of the plane that had trapped Ob-Nixilis there and known Sorin at some point. So Stoneforge Mystic always had a connection to "The Lithomancer". Later they fleshed her out as Nahiri, and based her outfit on the Mystic because it followed that the Stoneforge mystics would wear attire similar to their icon.

>Lorwyn remains virgin pure
>Shitty Universal Picture horror world shitcanned

Fuck off. Lovecraft shit is painfully played out. I'm so sick of cosmic seafood showing up in pop culture. Weird fiction in general needs to die and sleep for a decade before it can be cool again.

It feels FUCKING GOOD OP. Your tears are sweet, so very very sweet.

We're never going back to Lorwyn

Deal with it

Good. I want them to never touch Lorwyn/Shadowmoor or Kamigawa or Ravnica. I want them to remain pure and unsullied. Post-Ravnica plains have been lame as fuck. We get Greek plane. Mongul plane. Egypt plane. Lovecraft plane. None of them really take their source mythology in cool directions like Kamigawa or Lorwyn did.

I want them never to touch those planes again. Look what happened when they went back to Mirrodin just to have Phyrexia cuck it.

Dude, you do realize Ravnica is disproportionately popular compared to the other planes and we're almost definitely going a third time, probably sooner than later, right?

As far as I can tell she's never even heard of Ravnica

>Lovecraft shit is painfully played out. I'm so sick of cosmic seafood showing up in pop culture.

Misunderstanding Lovecraft is played out. Hell, Shadows over Innistrad was more Lovecraft than Eldritch Moon was. Lovecraft has never been about extra-dimensional calimari.

OG Innistrad did gothic horror right and the vampires were only a small part of it.

The best planes in mtg are Dominaria, Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, Mirrodin, OG Innistrad, Kamigawa, and Ravnica.

Shhh, don't give the WotC employees who lurk Veeky Forums any more ideas.

Can we add Amonkhet to the list? It looks interesting with its zombie robot labor force and society focused on overcoming trials to get into heaven.

My issue with Amonkhet is that all we see is the one city rather than the plane as a whole. The other ones I listed were explored thoroughly and we got to see many faces of them.

You got a point there. Amonkhet has an interesting idea, but the top-tier planes had interesting ideas. It also shoehorns in MTG staples like angels without really making them unique or interesting. Lorwyn was cool because it took staples like goblins and elves and interpreted them in new ways.

Maybe it'll get more interested as the story unfolds? I'm just worried about Nicol Memelas hijacking the story and being totally-not-the-god-king.

>Kangs: The Plane
No.

For all the people who are constantly comparing weatherlight to gatewatch, the weatherlight weren't nearly as bad. There was a big emphasis on magic having huge worlds full of different crazy magical beings. The recent gatewatch-oriented sets have been hellbent on full scale war. The recent Zendikar and Innistrad sets haven't been about what made the original sets so great: big diverse worlds. Now everything is about crazy combat since BFZ, and it's getting really stale. Amonkhet is a step in the right direction, but I still don't think it's all that great.
Not him, but Amonkhet doesn't have enough diversity. when I look for "diversity" in the lore, I'm not talking about lots of black folk. I'm thinking about the guilds of Ravnica or the tribes in Lorwyn/Shadowmoor or Innistrad. When you look at pretty much any of those sets they have a ton of different creatures and factions represented and they're not all engaged in full-scale war with each other.
this
The hekma barrier's gonna explode and there's gonna be full-blown war and Bolas will be involved somehow and whole plane's gonna be trashed, since it's just the one city anyway.
That said, the desert is my favorite part of Amonkhet by far, so even though I don't like the war-oriented sets I still have hope for HoD.

I like playing Gruul decks fucking sue me.

Sigarda and her flight (the Host of Herons?) are still around, and allied with humanity, so I imagine humans will survive but be in serious trouble, like back in Dark Ascension only with less of everyone.

They really did chicken out on giving not-Egyptians the proper skin color. They didn't want their SJW girlfriends to bitch at them.

Here's the real question-what is the WORST plane?

fun part of Amonkhet is the stuff beyond the hekma
and the white zombie mummies being slave labor is kind of cool

Yeah I'm kind of pissed that they're just going to do "Bolas shows up and there'S chaos everywhere but the Gatewatch use a hail mary and defeat him but do they really win??"

>Here's the real question-what is the WORST plane?
I didn't care for Kaladesh

Kaladesh felt so bland. I took a hiatus around that time and when I got back it took me a while to realize that this was a new plane, not a weird part of Ravnica.

Kaladesh was a mistake. It had the potential to be a legitimately interesting plane, with an underutilized cultural inspiration in fantasy. Instead we got "lmfao what if indian steampunk xddd"

The Gatewatch getting killed is asking for too much, so I hope they just have to escape after Nicol Bolas does some crazy shit.

Card-wise all I want is a cool Nicol Bolas card.

Probably Kaladesh. All we saw of it was a brief glimpse of one city and all that happened was the Gatewatch coming in and fucking it up. They just toppled the society as it was and left, even though the society didn't really need that big of a revolution. The only problem with it was Tezzy's machinations. They could've just removed Tezz instead of fucking up literally everything.

>we could have the same storyline that was so shit the executives had to step in and fix it themselves
Stay salty, Mark.

Lol, sure... And by furry you mean minotaurs, jackals, birds... Naga... And regular cats, not even anthro'd. And humans... I don't see your argument that well. Not like they want to do anything besides trials it up.

Spotted the Anointed

Tezzeret did nothing wrong

a Kamigawa-style kaladesh could've been one of the greatest sets of all time, if only wizards had embraced the weirdness

...Kaladesh was India themed?

The Eldrazi threat and Plot Armor being the only real reliable reason for being able to survive against them was pretty stupid.

Oh, and making their drive just a consuming force and making them the center piece for two consecutive blocks was stupid as well.

Chandra's name is indian. Kaladesh didn't really show Indian themes but yeah, it was supposed to be Indian Steampunk

>indian architecture
>tigers and cats
>everyone but chandra was brown for some reason
>but no shitting streets

I think they were too scared of offending the poos. Also the 2 set block thing really fucks things up for lore.

I noticed that in Cathartic Reunion, Chandra is pale as fuck compared to her parents. And I agree, 2 sets blows, especially when my favorite plane (Innistrad) got the two-set treatment. Why couldn't there have been a third set about humans rebuilding and the Gatewatch hunting down Nahiri?

Wait so did Innistrad not actually get fucked by Eldrazi?

Go away, Chicken-chan.

Just the tip

When this bitch destroyed the ACTUAL only interesting plane in the Multiverse

>When did you realize Magic: the Gathering's lore was a complete and utter garbage heap

The first time I looked at it.

You think the angels and humans that were killed and/or transformed into abominations magically got back to normal?

Unironically Dominaria. It has 0 personality.

Hey, on the plus side the demon worshippers no longer control the government because there is no government

Fuck you, Norn-senpai best girl.

Read Splendid Reclamation you idiot

Nigger, she's literally made out of oil metal and sharp edges.

Yeah, but remember: this is Nissa speaking here. Her version of fixing a plane is probably "kill all the non-elves"

It's not.
It's the same people they've got running the art concepting/flavor text/worldbuilding stuff.
Which means, in general, they're shitting them out in between doing everything else they need to do to put out two blocks a year

Didn't you remember? They retconned her character so now she loves diversity and dyke power and shit.

Oh it did, Emrakul corrupted Church of Avacyn, Sorin wasn't around to clean Emrakul's shit because Nahiri was throwing a bitch fit at him and the vampires.

>tfw no cute nazi elf lesbian to sexually dominate the literal firebrand lesbian
You fucked up WotC

The concept of Return blocks was a mistake.

Them being a consuming force is A-OK in my book, especially since it's ever-so-slightly more complicated than that. They just shouldn't have BS'd the ending so bad. These things were once worshipped as gods and are way stronger than any gods in the lore, so a fireball from a post-mending planeswalker shouldn't have been able to take two of them down. Especially since the card depicting the attack used to kill them doesn't even kill either of Ulamog's iterations in game.
Return to Ravnica was cool. I think's either the Jacewatch or two block sets (or maybe both) that's really put things in the shitter.

Odyssey block was good and fun

Mirrodin was probably the most interesting and unique plane the creative team has created.

I like Theros and Tarkir as a guilty pleasure.

>tfw we will never go to the Waifu Plane

I honestly talk to my friends about the hypothetical if Emrakul shifted to a plane that wasn't Innistrad and how that shit would have played out. I'm convinced if it was Ravnica it would have been fun.

I agree with you, but ffs there's a green card that removes indestructible that's Nissa's half of the spell. That's how they killed the titans

Still though, it's bullshit that they just straight up burned the titans. Didn't somebody tell them off for doing it?

>Especially since the card depicting the attack used to kill them doesn't even kill either of Ulamog's iterations in game.
That's because it's half of a combo attack, user.

Still, that's 14 mana to kill Ulamog, or 16 if you want to kill Ulamog and Kozilek. Doesn't that seem like an awful lot?

Yes, Kaladesh was India-themed and it was done so badly that one of the specific individuals the block was made to pander to ended up bitching about it.

talinthas.tumblr.com/post/150111624732/kaladesh-you-break-my-heart

Enjoy.

Calling it now, Nissa learns how to properly unfuck at least a couple of the gods, Bolas still kicks the gatewatchs asses, and is only mildly disgruntled.

In the story, Nissa channeled all of the remaining mana of Zendikar into Chandra's fireball.

Around Legends.

I honestly think Gatewatch is a fine idea, it makes sense on Zendikar and Amonkhet.

But having them EVERY FUCKING SET is fucking stupid. They've ruined the impact of every set they've been in.

It would certainly be interesting to see how the guilds would've handled that
muh leylines
forgot about this, but it still feels like some real forced cheese, neither Nissa nor green are really known for removing indestructibility
they should've handled them the same way Part 2 of JoJo handled the invincible being Kars: sending them hurtling through the Blind Eternities for the foreseeable future.

Phyrexia+Bolas is coming. Just wait. Elesh Norn, Bride of Bolas.

>the hypothetical if Emrakul shifted to a plane that wasn't Innistrad

Ravnica could have another 5 guilds(colorless/color), or have a big mechanical "anti-guild" presence.

Theros could have them worshipping the Eldrazi and making Colorless/Color god combinations, or corrupting the existing gods. Kruphix could be in agony and go crazy or something, although he serves a larger purpose.

Tarkir could have the khans twist to gain eldritch power against the Dragons, with people still on the dragons side to stop the alien scourge. (the khans could even have 2/C from lorwyn to represent the colorless theme while still having them be tri-color and possible to cast without huge color fixing)