/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm

>News
theonyxpath.com/now-available-cursed-necropolis-rio/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/when-will-bill-rage-monday-meeting-notes/

For those who don't know, here's the information we have thus far on the 5th edition of WoD:
pastebin.com/pvAtApt1

>Question
Why such hate for Mage?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12827200
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Why such hate for Mage?
All the big hate I've seen for mage has been from people who don't actually seem to understand the game at all.

Im going to get it out of the way.

Is Rio pdf around somewhere...yet?

>Why such hate for Mage?
Last thread specifically was about the disconnect between the actual mechanics of mage and the way mages function in setting. Like how you don't read any dnd/pathfinder books about wizards who contingency cast a teleport back to their demi plane.

Mages are still frequently described as the total terrors within WoD fiction, nonetheless.

At least in 1e.

Sssshhhh

You don't need Rio

>Why such hate for Mage?
Misguided attempt at 'balance' when trying to run a crossover. While ironically missing the fundamental theme of the splat.

While it's true to a certain extent that NARPfag whiteroom theorycrafting idiots are exaggerating the preparation that an average mage takes, mages are nevertheless orders of magnitude more powerful and capable than any other splat.

Nice. I haven't read much oWoD myself, but hunter was pretty late in the line wasn't it? So it should be a bit easier if I can just see what books came out after the hunter core did.
You're not wrong.

Mages are still canonically the biggest baddest fuckers in 2e. The Pack has a whole paragraph of Mage masturbatory fuel, dedicated to just how better the Thyrsus are when compared to the Uratha.

Some of us also really don't give two shits. I build mages using vampire powers and general dice pools if/when they come up in my games. Not because I don't get Mage's mechanics, but because I DON'T NEED THEM for my Vampire game.

REAL NEW THREAD

foir user that wants to actual discuss about the game and not magewankery.

If it were stupidly easy to ambush a mage, sure you would snipe one or two, then the rest would start getting paranoid and eventually you'll no longer be able to ambush/snipe them as they do start routinely using divination, hung teleport spells, blah blah.

Purely the fact that i was a mage and know what other mages can do would make me paranoid too, i sure as shit wouldnt just amble around without some contingency incase i bump into a seer, spirit, ghost, vamp, x shit because fucking mage sight lets me detect all these fuckers with min effort.

Saying mages arnt paranoid or prepared is just ludicrous.

Really? Are you that butthurt?

Has anyone used inferno demons in their games?

has the Changeling V20 folder in the pastebin been filled yet?

Because Magefags suck the fun out of everything.

You can having a discussion about the uses of Obfuscate or the aspects of the Wyrm, it doesn't matter, some magefag will jump out and say Mages could counter both doing this, or that, and then leave

Magefags are the kind of people that in DnD play Wizards and argue that every other class is useless because a Wizard can prepare a spell to counter it, or interrup a discussion on wheter or not a Barbarian could work a build around spiked shields and say that it sucks because a wizard has a spell in his list that can counter it

Because calling in mages in every situation is like saying "you are shit because Jesus is stronger"

They're just repeating and obvious fact that everyone knows about, or better, a flaw in the system that no-one can actually completely correct, and pass it as a good thing

If someone here asks "how do i counter a werewolf's stepping sideways" saying something about Mages has the same utility as to say "stop playing". You contribute nothing to the thread and give no useful information for the problem at hand

>You're not wrong
Thanks. We're few in this nest of degenerates

Join this >53239440 thread if you want to change things and leave the magefags to their own threads of wankery.

With enough effort they will just GTFO to their threads where they can keep doing what they like and we can actually discuss the setting and the system.

>Saying mages arnt paranoid or prepared is just ludicrous.
Except that the writing in the books contraindicates this at nearly ever turn. Seriously, read any book and you can see an example of a mage getting jumped, or stumbling into a bad situation they aren't prepared for.
Just to cover my ass, I'm not saying they DON'T have these powers, they do. I'm just saying the idea that all mages prepare themselves for bad situations is objectively incorrect going by the book.

When i first heard of hunter the reckoning i thought it sounded stupid but when i actually read it i enjoyed it enough to actually buy it and run it for abit.

Vigil or Reckoning?

Don't care. Mechnically it's easy as fuck to garner contingencies.

All I need to know. Bite me.

Neither, Hunters Hunted for me.

Reckoning without a doubt

I like the idea of misterious powers giving you the purpose to take back the Earth from monsters, but not telling you anything about said monsters

What is fucking Wisdom?

Preparing just because "something may happen" is STUPID and YOU ARE AN IDIOT METAGAMING FAGGOT for thinking that's a normal thing.

I'd say that's more an example of the hubris of magic.

It's very in theme for a mage to construct an elaborate shielding spell that would let him shrug off anti-tank weapons fire only to accidentally trip fall and drown.

Either really.
You can kind of play reckoning in vigil if you want, just say a few years ago people started getting visited by the messengers and get imbued and have some random high powered endowments.

You lose Wisdom for preparing?

What are you? Lord Autismo?

The inquisition book..forget what line it was for but thats still my fav book.

You lose wisdom for spamming a divination for no apparent reason.

>Reckoning 20 not for ages
>Vigil 2e not for ages
I'M MAD

No you don't. And I'm speaking as Unless you're at like wisdom 9, then you lose wisdom for doing basically everything

>Wisdom is lost by doing things without planning
>Casting a spell to plan loses wisdom
I don't think you know the game you are talking about.

Lord Autismo, that's not how it works.

Speak for yourself.

HELP

I'M LOSING WISDOM FROM THROWING ROCKS AT WALLS

I am too
Everybody shut the fuck up this is a Hunter thread now

Funnily enough, the strongest canon mages in 1e were never portrayed as anything more than characters to use in any way you want.

It's not a valid argument to make, user. Well, somewhat valid.

Mechnically mages should have no issues dealing with the other splats.

But are any of those examples 2e? A game where the fiction matches up to the rules much better than the shit show of 1e.

>I think its more all the 1e fiction is trash that doesn't actually mesh with the rules system at all and the NPC write ups suffer severely because of this disconnect. Its one of the major issues with 1e Mage.

Wisdom is lost when you use magic in situation where you could've avoided its use, if you are spamming divination because you may think that someone may attack you without any apparent reason, (AKA useless and you could've avoid that) then you lose wisdom

What game are you even playing you genius, Wisdom has nothing to do with planning.

>Funnily enough, the strongest canon mages in 1e were never portrayed as anything more than characters to use in any way you want.
I don't know what you're referencing.
>Mechnically mages should have no issues dealing with the other splats.
I...never said otherwise?

No canon 2e mages as of yet.

1e mages were weird trenchcoat turds riding motorcycles through windows.

Yeah, stoners usually have that problem.

>divining daily to keep yourself safe at all times
>avoid at all costs

Yeah, ok.

Whatever the hivemind says.

In one chapter of the 2e core a guy walks into a house and a piece of ceiling falls right on top of his head, possibly from the house itself rejecting him

>Building Supremacy

True Thread.

If you are tired of not being able to talk about the setting because of magefags.

That thread is already infested with magefags.

>That thread is already infested with magefags.

More than this one looks like. A clear failure.

I'm wanting to make a session focused around spooky voodoo as cults in new orleans try to awaken the queen of voodoo. My question is: are there any rules in place for voodoo things in any of the cofd books, or am I going to have to fluff the ever loving Christ out of things?

strawpoll.me/12827200

I vaguely remember voodoo zombies in antagonists. Besides that I have no clue, use second sight?

There's a Kindred Voudun power in Ancient Bloodlines, and a Voodoo power in the Second Sight book.

Marie Laveau should be a Moros Master with Spirit as third Ruling.

>Why such hate for Mage?
Do me a favor. Go visit any general on this site, doesn't have to be on Veeky Forums, any of them. What is it we see?
Fighting. This site loves fighting. They fight about fucking anything. Mage is just a convenient enough thing to make it super easy to fight about.
I will admit, /wodg/ has it worse than most other generals on this board. I don't see this type of fighting nearly anywhere else.

I just read David hill preview for pledges. What utter shit, does anyone know if his version was axed now that he was fired/quit from opp?

I think the last heard word is maybe 30% of what he wrote is staying in. The pledge portion made them utterly meaningless and useless, so I hope it gets changed, but given the lack of open development of any real depth from the devs that took over, we probably won't know till it goes to publication.

Apparently not much of his stuff is going to be in there. OPP had someone developing the SAME SECTIONS as him AT THE SAME TIME just prior to/when he quit over the Zak S stuff. And then he found out he won't get paid.

Only idiots, deniers and biased whores aren't going to vote Mage.

Or spite.

Alright. I'll into those and give it a shot. Time for the hunters to try and stop them a voodoo cult.

>Hunter in 2nd
HUMANITY STRONK. REMOVE MONSTER AND WIZARD.

>implying mages aren't human

Remove supernaturals

... most of you fuckers aren't human anymore. Biotech made from monsters? Drugs made from monsters? DEMON CHILDREN?

Hunter was published in 99.

I did did a quick flip through the revised core books for Werewolf and Mage and they both mention Imbued hunters in the antagonist sections. (W:tA 285) (M:tA 284)

I don't know for sure, but if I had to bet, I'd say the pledge section is actually one of the few things staying in.

I wasn't actually too keen on it. It was technically written according to the outline, so I can't hold that against Matt McFarland (the writer) and restructuring it would have basically meant a full rewrite, which I'm loathe to ask of writers. I considered doing a full rewrite of it myself, since it didn't accomplish what I felt it should have.

But, since Matt wrote it, I imagine Rose will keep it in the final. She told me in an email that it was one of her favorite sections. That was sort of my impetus for not doing the full rewrite. I figured she'd want to go with his version anyway.

IMO, it's definitely one of the weaker aspects of the book.

Where would one go to find a spirit of lust/sex asking for a friend

Spirit Mage. Masters could flat-out Make you a waifu spirit, if you so wished.

No I mean find a natural one. Like I doubt they just hang out in the middle of the woods, would a brothel be a good place to look?

This is why Magefags needs to have their own threads.

A brothel is indeed the obvious choice, as is a strip club or anywhere you can pick up prostitutes. You could probably find them in extremely sexually repressed environments as well, since that's where lust is often strongest.

Because they offer actual advice to vague questions that have no details or context?

Yes, be jealous of all the waifu spirits under my command!

It's fucking obvious that it's a werefag that wants to know where to find a certain spirit

"Ask a mage" isn't fucking advice, the ST could just not care about mages and not have them in his setting, and if they are here why should the character know their whereabouts?

"Ask a mage" is just a why like another to shitpost.

The strongest splat is clearly passive aggressive ex amish bloggers with smart phones.

If the question had any context to it at all you might be right, but it doesn't, so you're just an angry asshole.

As I said, it's just an excuse, also aren't fucking mages the first to say "Don't run crossplat?"

Fucking idiots.

>implying werefags are the only ones looking for spirits of lust

No, if you actually ever payed attention to anything you'd know they say don't run multisplat PC groups.
Its clear you're just the guy in this picture.

Calm down

Your autism is intensifying

Thanks for sharing David.

Where do you think we are?

I wish they did a blue book supplement of normal horrors, like in the chronicles core. Those guys could actually be pretty interesting.

That's not true.
They always say to don't run any crossplat even as enemy NPCs because "they are too powerful"

>Why such hate for Mage?
Hmmmm... I dunno

Our screeching contain truth, for it is the High Speech.

What you gon' do 'bout it?

Doesn't mean you can't try faggatron

>You could probably find them in extremely sexually repressed environments as well, since that's where lust is often strongest.

So the average Veeky Forums users basement? Genius!

Good taste.

Alright heres a question, what to your mind is the best SAS white wolf has ever put out for new world of darkness/chronicles? Has anyone ever actually run any of them?

How exaggerated is Mage supremacy, really?

Not very