WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>I am the hammer! I am the point of His spear! I am the mail about His fist! I am the bane of His foes!
youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

>Previous Threads

Other urls found in this thread:

whatarmy.wordpress.com/2012/01/04/samurai-themed-space-marines-pt-1-furinkazan/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>I will never have to paint another chimera again
Feels good.
1/2

2/2
>inb4 8th rolls out and I'll need 3 more

First historics I've ever built. thinking of building a diorama around the 2 left archers. The one with his arm back going "Should we leg it?" while the armoured guys move forward ready to intercept a charge.

why the red? seems to throw off the camo feel to it

working on my Relthoza fleet

What does Johnny want to tell me?

Paint your GODDAMN MINIS, user.

and don't forget to thin your paints, please

Shit, Johnny. I even bought flow-improver

Yeah enough for 20 fucking years apparently.

Current WIP, miniature from Kemet.
How do you guys paint skin? I'm glazing all over and it seems to be working bretty good so far but it takes a lot of time.

Getting back into painting, using kinda crappy brushes at the moment though and I'm finding paint thinning a very, very inconsistent process. Any advice? Here's a mini I've painted recently, it's not one I've poured a ton of attention into, but one I'm trying to learn how to paint with again and be able to do at a decent pace. It's got some poor DIY conversions and it's had the paint stripped twice for what it's worth.

It looks good to me. Now slap some highlights onto that bitch.

I don't know what these are but they look cool.

Congrats user, I bet it feels good.

Glazing is the way to go but yeah it's not a fast process.

Looks solid, I agree that it could use a very fine top highlight.

>running low on white primer
>realise I'll have to spend another 10 to 15 quid on another can
>mfw

Can't I just use white paint in a spray gun?

white primer in an airbrush m8

I'm really fuckin indecisive about a basing for nurgle daemons and csm since I got back into painting. I like the mud with toxic pools thing Duncan did. Would they look best with that? I am also curious if anyone knows about any possible basing accessories like thorny vines, mushrooms and carrion flowers to give it a Garden of Nurgle vibe out there or would I need to attempt to make those?

do you have to use gloss and matte varnish for transfers or can you do it without them?

Are those perrys?

>thorny vines
you could try using plant roots for that. should give you the right look
>mushrooms
I made it a habit to have some cork with pieces of wire in it. Everytime I sculpt something I use the excess to maske some mushrooms with the leftovers.
Pretty easy to do. Small nails or pins for spanning canvas work well too for this.
You can also get resin bits for this, but imo you're paying a lot of money for something you can do easily yourself in a few minutes.
>carrion flowers
Not sure what you are thinking about here. But if you have static grass or tufts you can easily make flowers yourself by applying a bit of pva to the tips of the fibres and dunking the tuft into fine turf flock or sand in any color of your choice.
Another alternative, if you were more thinking along the lines of single big flowers, is to look into railroad kits.
You can get plastic flower kits 1:87 for all kinds of stuff.

Yep

Update on my wolf lord

First time ever working with greenstuff would appreciate feedback on the fur

it does not look like fur.

Whats the model you're using a base, I kind of like it.

Trying to make these guys, but have it be affordable if possible since nearly all of them are gonna need custom bits. How could I go about converting samurai bits for these guys? I might try to cast my own bits if they go well.

looks like it's the plastic praetor from Betrayal at Calth with some heavy modification

any advice on how to make it look more like fur?
the cataphractii captain from the betrayal at calth set, i think you can buy it separately now, got mine off ebay

got this guy primed up, will post him painted soon

run a toothbrush through it with wavy patterns

>any advice on how to make it look more like fur?

Nope, I cant tell you how to do it right, I can only tell you it does not look right. I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

After avoiding it by painting guilliman, cypher, 3 tanks, 2 contemptors, and 3 deathwatch hqs, I've finally run out of procrastination material. Back to the drudgery of infantry.

9 marines are my goal this weekend.

anyone else get really productive when avoiding painting something?

I just put together my Arkanaut Frigate, and after I spray it I think I'll start with painting the brass. What do you guys reckon?

The Emperor's Shadows looked nothing like that. Hell, they didn't even use katanas. That picture is an abortion.

There are some shoulder pads on shapeways if you're interested. Beyond that I'd check the Legion of Everblight and Skorne sections of Privateer Press' online store.

There's also no fluff or much more than that single picture, so I have the freedom to fluff out a company of them. And I'm going to run them with BT rules, so lots of katanas.

IMO. Don't go full weeb. Weeb-inspired is classy (and less expensive). You don't want to overpower the marine imagery samurai kit, just influence it.

No ideas on bits, though. Some of the white scars upgrades have curved power swords

TFW a model you want is discontinued and more rare than a GW squat model.

This is suffering.

Less is more, user-san.

Thank you a ton for the advice! I would have never thought of that about the roots or the mushrooms. For the flowers I mucked up shoulda typed carnivorous instead of carrion but I had thoughts about the corpse flower and the like. I'll definitely look into some of these supplies for basing. Is there a specific texture paint you might recommend as well for that sort of ground?

Most I was really trying to go were katanas for melee, banners for sgts, and anything important got an oni mask and maybe a green stuff kimono. Not sure how I'd flavor up dreads, first thought was to paint them kind of like terracotta soldiers. Not sure what I was gonna do for shoulder pads, I don't really wanna green stuff them on cause It'll look bad.

Need to do the weapons on my Aspiring Champion proxy for my killteam.

My question is about the powersword. The Dunc has a video about "simple" power sword glow where he uses Nihalak oxide and some blue glaze to get a decent effect.
Could I substitute a green (waywatcher) or red (bloodletter) glaze instead of the blue and have decent results?

Or should I attempt that badass asymetrical checkering pattern thing I've seen people do for swords? I'm not sure if I have good colors for the sword

>green stuff kimono

Do you understand you're taking someone else's custom chapter and weebing it up? Look at that picture above. No katana, no Japanese banner, and the only oni mask is on a Chaplain.

The key words in the description are "subtly incorporated".

If you want to crank the Oriental theme up to eleven then make your own chapter or base it off a Mortal Kombat ninja.

I was going to suggest green stuff for the shoulder pads too. How about some plasticard 4 strips one a millimeter (guessing on the size obviously) longer than the other and stack them up so it'll line up like the pic in

>since nearly all of them are gonna need custom bits
victoria lamb, who originally came up with them only added tiny bits of GS to the shoulderpads and painted everything else on.

Anyway, if you WANT to add custom bits there are shitloads of samurai bits around. Puppetswar has a pretty comprehensive selection.
Shapeways user plokoone recently added shoulderpads for them to his store.

Maybe add more "flow" into it? Now it looks kinda like puddle of mess imo. Look how fur looks in other minis to give a good idea how to do it.

Just thought of something that'll be a bit more easier for you. Instead of making the Kimono out completely out of green stuff, how about you get your hands on Dark Angels that have those robes on and start from there?

You realize its a chapter that is official, has no lore, and only has a section in a painting guide right? 40k is a parody of culture. Go somewhere else if you wanna be offended about how I build my dudes. Not trying to be a fucking weeaboo, but 40k's over the top ridiculous. Check out the buck teeth on White Scars.

Thanks for the ideas, I've got a few of the robed models from DV sitting in a box I'll probably try this with.

Was about to suggest this aswell. Then you can make robes how ever weeb you want to.

>For the flowers I mucked up shoulda typed carnivorous instead of carrion but I had thoughts about the corpse flower and the like.
In that case check out the catachan heavy weapons sprue. There is a venus fly trap on that sprue.
>Is there a specific texture paint you might recommend as well for that sort of ground?
I never used textured paint myself. I still use sand and pva. But I've been eyeing the Vallejo paints. You get quite a bit more for a better price than the GW stuff.
You'll get an even better deal if you just go to any art supply store and get a texture medium or pumice or whatever the specific product may be called.

i know this is for a different game...but this kind of looks like if 40k orks just had a shit ton of scrap metal and welded it together into a space ship.

Don't forget your ceramite geta, user-san.

>Check out the buck teeth on White Scars.
you're delusional.
you also got the wrong racist stereotype. White Scars are painfully obvious mongolian.

u want pray game user?

user here who griped at you thick paint when you were half done with this project eons ago.

As an advocate of redo's over adding more shit till it looks good, you certainly proved me wrong. I especially like the mud and slush you have pent up around the tracking and armor folds. Great job.

>no japanese banner
take another look at it?

Converting a jump pack chaos lord with lightning claw and power fist.

Trying to come up with interesting bling to stick on this guy, I'm open to suggestions.

I know you guys mostly post figures but I wanted to share first terrain.

I tried to use static grass, but wasn't exactly sure how to apply is as most youtube pros use some kind of strainer for it. In the end I think that looks good enough without it.

What are some valid materials for bases that won't hurt my budget? I tried thick and sturdy cardboard but it curls a little after applying PVA and paint (which I hped won't happen as it could be compared tohardest book covers).

I read some of you use MDF boards but I think it may be a little expensive to base every piece with that? I'm also not sure how to work with it using modeling tools, doesn't it require some kind of saw to cut it? I mean, I doubt hobby knife is enough.

his head looks goofily huge

ah I just deleted because pic posted sideways but I checked with back button.

hmmmm, the head is the same size as the chaos marine heads with no helmet, might be the horns? or maybe it looked weird because sideways?

oh yeah and as I said before pls give ideas for bling to add to this guy

Go on youtube, look up the Terrain Tutor, watch his Back to Basics playlist, as well as the 'Common Terrain Questions Answered' video. All of your queries will be answered in full, with practical demonstrations and much more besides. Your terrain looks okay, could do with darker shading and some flock to blend the moss in.

He looks pretty blinged out already

*unzips the murder sword*

Nice gatekeeping faggot

to be fair kimono marines are a retarded premise

but then I remember dark angels wear pajamas and space wolves wear wolves when they're not riding them or in santa's sleigh pulled by them

>gatekeeping

loincloth?

put some sickass runes on the wings and make them the centerpiece

Not really katanas but closer than your average power sword. From anvil industry

In a game with werewolf men, orks that are literal sentient plant life, and space magic bullets, kimonos on captains is going too far.

Now those aren't too bad, I could work with those.

look man I'm not in charge of what is or isn't retarded, I just call it when I see it

also those aren't even good examples of retarded shit in 40k, there's literally nothing wrong with sentient plant life or magic projectiles in a fictional world. actually good examples have already been listed like dark angel pajamas, but dark angels pajamas being retarded doesn't make kimono marines less retarded

Aren't you late to the 40k thread to debate what is and isn't canon in the 40k universe?

yeah loincloth would probably do it, I'm gonna test using the one from the dark angel sergeant from dark vengeance, gotta carve it up somehow. a mail one could be nice but I only have the CSM champion one which I'm already using and I don't want to have repeat bits on my characters.

no because I'm not a retarded shitposter, I'm just some dude giving feedback. I don't know if you're the kimono marines guy but he posted his idea ITT and thus opened the idea to criticism, multiple people have given feedback saying kimonos are dumb. what he/you does/do with that advice is up to him/you, but not all feedback is going suck your dick, there are other websites for that

the emperor's shadows are overall a cool chapter, I just think the kimono is too much. using subtle samurai masks and katana power swords is fine though. in my opinion.

weebfag

>all this kimono talk

Wish I made enough progress on the weeaborks to warrant a new picture, well maybe if I get the sashimonos printed out

I think you can get chainmail loincloth as separate bits from either maxmini or spellcrow.
Or one of the other usual suspects, but there are other options.

I could use a bit of help on how to apply this core scheme, so far my buggies mainly have blue hulls which will feature red bolts, flames and arrow, but I don't think it's work that well on such a large model without it just becoming a blue blob.

Aside from the obvious mold line, your highlights are really jarring.

Also, paint your sword silver with lightning arcing through it.

meh, this guy is mostly made from leftover bits and I want to keep it that way, plus I want to finish him by tomorrow

also the runes on wings idea is good, now to figure out how to do the colors. the fleshy parts will be red so I'm thinking some very dark blue to emulate the look of tattoo ink

if you got the chaos lord plastic kit it comes with some pretty long loincloths. Chains and regular cloth.
Those might look cool on a dude flying through the air.

Not kimono guy. I also think kimonos are bit overkill on aesthetic, but entirely up to you. If you want to give kimonos go ahead. Its your guys.

whatarmy.wordpress.com/2012/01/04/samurai-themed-space-marines-pt-1-furinkazan/

Quick googling "samurai space marines" came up with this. Thought youd might enjoy it.

Getting into my Red Veil box, any ideas for colour on the clothing?
I'm not super happy with my blending and layering, despite using a wet pallete, I think I might have gone too thick on the final layers, any tips to neaten that up?

Keep to the odd plating being Blue, most metal/rusty metal, with the flames covering both, going about a third of the way back. These are mine, I'm a fan of darker base colors for Orks though, so YMMV.

i actually thought that looked pretty good as fur.

And nearly done

I'm a little self-conscious about my Iron Warriors scheme. Both the steel and the trim are a basecoat, wash and drybrushed highlight, with the steel base being an airbrushed mixture of leadbelcher and nuln oil (the original formula of Black Ink and Boltgun Metal worked better) for a dark titanium finish.

I'm worried they look like they've just been slapped with leadbelcher and a bronze/brass layer and called a day and that I'm getting mediocre results from a fair amount of effort.

Pretty sure Victoria herself now does Samurai themed Marine heads and pauldrons.

Mould lines reeeeee
Also, maybe touch up the horns a bit? They do look kinda dull

jesus christ gluing crisis suits together is a pain in the ass. Does anyone have any tips on how to pose these things

Dammit, yes I should have mentioned the horns are a flat grey while I decide what the fuck to do with them and if I'm actually happy with the metals.

The mold lines are slowly being cleaned up and painted over. My marines are a mixture of assemblies from 10+ years with some GOD AWFUL misaligned castings. I cleaned up his head, legs and horns as best I could but somehow overlooked the power pack.

Found some old paints. All dried out. Can I save them? Is it even worth trying?

why is she smelling her fingers after slooshing them around her cunt

add a chain to show that he's in-motion, giving more of a dynamic feel to the model

You can revive it by putting some water in them and stirring them with a latté miniwhip thing. But if you have the cash to replace them then no, it's not worth it in the least.

On the arms too, don't forget them.

Add water, I guess? Or maybe some acrylic medium.