You are reborn in the 40k universe

You are reborn in the 40k universe.
You can pick a mortal race to be a part of. So no primarch/c'tan/chaos god
You are of the social standing to have freedom.
You possess all of your knowledge from this world, as well as all the knowledge you need to survive in your new rank.
What race do you come back as? What do you do while you are there?

I'd pick necron
I'd try to find cypher and give him a ride to holy terra

Is this even a question? Ethereal.

>live in cozy empire focused in eudamonia
>follow an unifying philosophy
>know everyone in the empire loves and wants to protect me

Eldar, they still have the best life in the universe. Can decide if I want to be a degenerate, a corsair or get spiritual as either an exodite or aspect warrior.

And a pick of hot blue bitches.

>choosing a doomed race

Yea but tau have really short lifespans
Have fun living 40-60 years and then have your tiny soul eaten by a demon

Tau souls are too dim to be detected in the warp.

The entire galaxy is doomed, might as well have the either most thrilling or comfiest life until then.

Tau souls are perfectly detectable in the Warp.

They just don't compare to Human and Eldar souls.

No, there's 50/50 chance demons don't even see them.

Etherals live far, FAR longer than Tau.

>Ork
Live with all your buds in a horde, scream shout and beat each other up all day long
smell horrible

Pretty much just me and my friends now expect that we are not big green and mean

Orks are one of the only races in warhammer that live forever or close to it.
Orks, Necrons, daemons, and maybe space marines

Admech. Scientific method will need some reforming to work there, but if I'm careful I can get away with the bare minimum Machine Obesiances, and "Freedom" means starting at Enginseer rank or above because everyone else is pretty much a slave, so if I work hard I can work my way up to immortality and a massive fleet, and fly about fighting people with a truly massive industrial capacity. One Forge World has as much heavy industry as about the entire Tau Empire, and it's not unusual for Archmagi to have two or more.

giving a chainsword doesn't cut you into pieces, that would be your last resort

Necron cryptek
Possesses more doomsday devices than the entire adeptus mechanicus and actually know how each one works.
Also you don't die as often flying in necron spaceships. You also get legions of indestructible robot warriors armed with the best infantry guns in the universe

Tyranid queen going on lighthearted yet horrifying space adventures while disguised as an eccentric rogue trader. No one would ever guess.

Hate to choose the faction I play but probably Orks, live forever and are just live for fun. Otherwise human and hopefully get into the ranks of upper hive cities and live for like 200 years getting wasted on space drugs.

Would it suffocate? Stop breathing? Should care if it cut my arm bleeding?

Either an Inquisitor or an member of the adeptus arbrites. Basically a space detective or a space judge dredd. Either way I get to enact justice

Time to blow up some stars.

Ork. Obviously.

Become an Ork Blood Axe-turned-Freeboota Kaptin (Warboss) and go on wild adventures across the galaxy with my boyz, krumpin' otha gits and laffin' all da zoggin' way.

Wez have da best life. As da ol' humie sayin' goes:
"Krump ya enemies. See dem driven before ya. Hear da lamentations o' their women."

Plus takin' all their bitz iz great too! 'specially from dem T'au gitz! Ya haven't lived till ya see a blueberry's face when ya 'bout to shoot 'im wid a looted Railgun! Iz a real laff I tellz ya!

>first Matey Stikz'Rod reporta in Kaptin

Mekboy mag'grot og'slag is 'ere. Wat needs 'ixin?

Eldar. If I have psychic powers, go Shadowseer, if I have not got Psychic powers go incubus/Harlie, get the only good immortal life in the universe.

Imperial Guardsman.
It's a shit job but somebody needs to do it.

Do daemons count as a "mortal" race?
They pretty much have it made; all they need to do is just hang around, do whatever chores their summoners want, and follow the will of their god (which is easy, since if they weren't there they would still be doing the same shit they're being commanded to do).

Da enginz need 'ixin!
Da hulk can't move unless ya get da grotz back dere ta quit muckin' about an' get us movin'!

Semi-selfish answer: Eldar. Get to live a comfy life if desired, for a long amount of time. You can, as long as you limit yourself, have a good time and form an emotional connection with another being. However, there also exists the possibility to go out and do shit. Become a ranger, or a harlequin and shape history.

Second-choice: Imperial guardsmen. I don't quite know why, but I've always had to the urge to fight. The idea of holding the line appeals to me greatly.

I agree with the above here. Since OP said I would have the knowledge to survive and previous human knowledge (i'm an engineer), this would make me a really cunnin mekboy or Big Mek. The ability to warp reality do it fits my design instead of the other way around, sign me up!

Being an ork is the happiest state you can be in 40k. To everybody else, fighting is a mean to an end. To orks, it is the end. Also if you die it doesn't count so nothing to lose here.

If Necrons are considered mortal, definitely them
Being part of a social standing that allows freedom corresponds with a very high social standing for them
Basically immortal
Cool as fuck
Can be kleptomaniac friends with Trazyn

Now dis 'ere iz a proppa humie! Nonna dat 'jeanseeded' squigshit da beakies 'ave, but knowz hez got da fight anyway.

DIS RIGHT 'ERE IZ WHY HUMIES ARE FUN TA FIGHT!

Plus dey provide sum great loot too...

Quiet down ya 'loody git I'm 'orking on it

Well yea they count as mortal
They don't have god-like powers like primarchs or c'tan
Daemons are really iffy, they aren't really sentient in our definition, as they are composed of raw emotion. They act in a sembence of sentience but can only act as that emotion

Ork

I may not be the most brutal, but I will be the most cunnin. Only downside is that I will be playing dice at all times, but hordes and hordes of orks thrown at the enemy is always nice. Just by knowledge and war tactics alone would set me up next to, if not surpassing, Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka in terms of size and power.