Song of Swords: Another dead thread

Last time on Song of Swords:
Nothing
Join the discord before this thread dies too.

Song of Swords is a a tabletop RPG centered around realistic medieval fightan' with a ludicrous variety of weapons and fighting styles, centered around a dice pool system. It's currently in beta, and can be used for both fantasy and historical games. The Kickstarter was nearly 300% funded, and we're on the fast track to kicking ass baby.

Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

MEGA folder containing current version of the game and all supplementary materials.
Note that the latest version of the game is v1.9.9 but with additional supplements.
mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread.

We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room, but now we have a much better way to play Audatia: Tabletop Simulator! The (official!) mod for Audatia is now up and running!
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=904774480

There is also a discord server you can join:
discord.gg/d66n2SW

Newcomers extremely welcome, please come and be friends with us! We love everyone, commies, fascists, sane people, infidels, heretics, schismatics, members of God's holy church in Rome, etc. Come on down and join the Cult of Swords!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RyO46RQhYkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=GCjXZk-vzvg
historicallocks.com/en/site/h/padlocks/the-history-of-padlocks/swedish-middle-ages-1050-1520/
youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6x6sHiFaw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Nothing
Oi. I shared the STALKERbrew I started to make :^(
But yeah. Breddy ded lately. Sadly

It's the Discord. Nobody talks here because they're all chatting there.

Why have a thread if everyone sticks to discord?

Because we most of the time don't even talk about things anyway related to the game.

Because people still need a way to find the game, ask about it, and be introduced. If the people who know about and discuss the game are insular, then the game will also become insular and slowly die. Nobody is talking about it anywhere else, so this is the only place to drum up any sort of wider audience. I'd like the game I like to have other people that play it.

RIP

Jimmy! You said you were redoing skills. How are you redoing them?

He better be adding an etiquette skill.

Being able to pick locks would also be good.

We're just waiting for the next big release. If stuff actually starts happening the thread will come back to life.

Holy fucking shit, you are right.
So, we need some sort of an burglary skill, and etiquette.

We just had a reasonably big release, and nothing happened.

I'd just like to let you all know that Isao Machii has cut a bullet in half with his sword on video, confirming that this is a real thing that can be done if you're sufficiently badass.

Supposing I want to play a swordsman in a Rurouni Kenshin-esque game of Ballad, would it be supported?

>a soft lead pellet can be split in two by a sharp edge of a much harder material

You don't say.

Burd it up.

To clarify, the bullet had been shot out of a gun very shortly prior. The difficult part is the hitting of it, not splitting the lead.

Realistically, I think this is probably only possible with collusion between the shooter and swordsman. Getting proper timing and location down is most of the struggle. If you wanted to do it in Ballad, though, fuck it, it's pulp anyway. Just steal the Burdinadin power to parry bullets and go for it. The only thing limiting you is your imagination.

Do you have a link to the video?

Etiquette is being added in. So is Thievery, which would include lockpicking. The skill was absent from earlier editions because locks weren't really a thing.

Yay, we can stab locks in the dick now!

...wait...

Honestly I'd be kind of disappointed if Ballad Paladin couldn't do it.

I think it's confirmed that the Ballad way of 5 guys can parry bullets with swords.

>locks date back to the earliest civilization and have been ubiquitous on doors since the later Roman Republic

>not really a thing

Nigga.

He means he hadn't implemented it yet, nerd.

I've got better than a link.

I meant in the sense of ubiquitous on-every-door locks that people would put on common things, and which would have similar mechanisms that you could learn how to pick once and then apply to every other lock. There will still be a skill for lockpicking (it will be rolled into Thievery) but this isn't the sort of game where generally you'll be finding chests with locks all over the place, or even doors with locks that aren't on important buildings.
Then again, who breaks into an unimportant building.

youtube.com/watch?v=RyO46RQhYkQ

Here he is definitively proving that he could bisect a European knight in full plate armor with a single vertical slash.

Wooden sword test.

youtube.com/watch?v=GCjXZk-vzvg

Locks were actually pretty common on doors. Like, standardized pin locks on regular house doors being the norm. That was Roman and probably had retreated somewhat from common use by the middle ages, but you still find a bunch of keys and locks in medieval city excavations which suggests they were probably relatively common, if not on every door or chest. Plus the symbol of a noblewoman caring for her own lands is a giant fucking keyring. So you'd probably be stumbling over locks really commonly.

Locks of a common make that are reproducable.
historicallocks.com/en/site/h/padlocks/the-history-of-padlocks/swedish-middle-ages-1050-1520/

Plus pin tumbler locks have been the standard European lock design since the fucking Egyptians.

>Whine about etiquette constantly
>Etiquette is being added in
I love you, you big teddy bear of a man.

Would using miniatures and maps distract from how this game is structured? I have some interested players, but they're really pissy about having to actually imagine where things are.

Question for Jimmy: Have you read the Unsong?

Seems like it's a good thing for a Christian-based religious fiction grounding. More applicable to modern stuff than SoS though.

No, it wouldn't detract at all. The game's system doesn't rely on it like some do, but the default assumption is still that your characters exist in a world with spatial dimensions much like our own, and which thus is mappable.

>but they're really pissy about having to actually imagine where things are
Are they okay with imagining what their characters do? Go for it.

There seems to be conflicts about how staunching bloodloss is supposed to work. The surgery description says that it's reduced by 1 per success, whereas the description of blood loss with wounds says that there's some RS to meet that halts all blood loss. Which is it? If it's the former, does that also mean that repeated surgery tests to staunch bloodloss can be made? e.g. if someone has a bleed of 20, can you keep making surgery tests, and slowly reducing their bleed until they stop?

Because the discord should not exist

At least Jimmy should shit post in the threads more often.

>that t-shirt didn't save the guy

But can they parry swords with bullets?

It's probably the latter, since it would be almost impossible to stop the bleeding of some wounds otherwise. Not very serious wounds, even.

It was a long time in coming, but it should've been in ages ago.

We're trying to make it easier to use minis.

I have not. I will investigate.

We're working on it, it especially must change because of recent combat changes.

This is true, but like most things that should exist (like me) we thrive in the misery of our creators.

Shooting other missiles out of the air is something I wanted to add, actually.

Around what time can we expect the next update? You seem to have a pretty good drip feed every week or two. It keeps us satiated and the Kickstarter backers confident the game exists.

That is the idea. Things are going faster than it may appear, we are trying to keep a good schedule because we also must account for formatting and editing prior to the release of the final product the coming febuary.

I can tell you this: Magic is no vaporware. We have top men working on it. It's going to be hype as fuck. I'm super excited about the magic system. I think it's going to be great. Plus skills are going back to the comfy system we all knew and loved, with packets and more skills to boot.

Soon the big talent changes will come. That's going to be a major game-changer. All of the stupid complexity of talents is going away, but your favorites will still be there. It'll be more like Ballad and less complicated and specific.

How do you feel about my (very in-progress) side project that I use to feel less guilty about abandoning LaTeXanon?

It's a cool idea, don't feel guilty about anything. I don't, if I were still capable of feeling guilt I'd have shot myself months ago.

Also, you should all play Stellar Monarch. It's pretty based, Could use a few more elves, but I won't fault it for that.

>months ago

Years. Years Jimmy.

>cannot feel guilt
>is catholic
So THAT'S how you're able to reconcile the unreconcilable!

Jimmy!
Do bigger and more powerful beings have bigger soul/pyromancy/flames?
If so, what is the biggest flame?
Could you become a paladin/chosen/whatever to it?

How big are Paladin Flames?

Do paladins have solar flames?

This will be pretty fucking useful when it's finished.

Well when you say it like that...

Yes.
Probably the sun.
You can, it's called a Paladin.

Larger than an average human's, but not larger than it is normally possible for a human flame to become. A mechanical way to put it would be that the more Arc a person has earned and spent relative to the length of his life, the greater his flame is.

Any other really big flames in the world worth noting?

But, aren't flames supposed to hunger for life and some shit?
What does the Big G hunger?
Or is it that his flame is just completely different, but a flame nonetheless?

Oh sure. The most powerful Flames in general are those of people--ancient beings which lay dormant for long periods tend to actually have rather small Flame presences, which makes them harder to detect before they wake up. Eskarne for example is a blinding presence to Firesight, because she has both been alive for a long time, and accomplished a lot (as she defines accomplishment) in her lifetime. Seeing Eskarne coming is not hard at all if you are a Pyromancer, she's like a walking chemical fire. The same is true for those who can see into the Spirit-Realm, for different reasons.

Genosus craves order and constructive behavior. He has succeeded tremendously in imposing these values on the world, and so his Fire is very, very powerful, to the point that it manifests physically. It is also partially his nature, he is a tremendous being who predates the universe--and his entire life's purpose since the birth of that universe has been in doing exactly what he is doing.
Bocanadessia is also powerful in this manner, but she has encountered more serious setbacks than her brother, and she is also less fulfilled in her purpose, so she does not shine so brightly.

>her brother
>they're siblings
I believe this is new info.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before. They are both the children of He Who Came First And Will Be, at least nominally--it's difficult to say what "children" means in the context of entities that powerful.

But they are "siblings" at least in how they address each other, and it is an easy idea to swallow that the sun and moon are related.

Is the Tattered Realms a globe, like earth?

Are there any cults, specifically, for HWCFAWB?

>Plus skills are going back to the comfy system we all knew and loved,
huh? The skills part of SoS was one of the most boring things ever

It's probably a hollow globe.

I have never seen a skill system that wasn't tremendously boring. They can be at best functional and get out of the way. The problem isn't that skills are boring, the problem is that they aren't functional. There's dice bloat everywhere, no standardized RSs, dice rolls careen between opposed rolls and rolls against static RSs with no rhyme or reason. What few guidelines exist are retarded, with Charisma needing to have twice as many dice as any other skill to reliably persuade anyone and athletics requires more dice than is possible for a human to achieve in order to be probably able to run a marathon.

FATE Core

Jimmy, who in vosca has the most advanced culture concerning maids and butlers?

Fate is about as bog standard as they come. It's a functional and therefore good system for skills, and I've enjoyed it from what I have played of the system, but the skill system isn't particularly fun in unto itself. Maybe I've been playing wrong, but what makes Fate's skill system intrinsically interesting?

The Burdinadin are certain that the world is round, and most traditions agree with this. The Zells don't think the world has any consistent shape at all, that it fluctuates over time and expands or shrinks as the gods will it.
Humans tend to believe one of these two narratives.

It's an unusually sparse subject. Genosians and Dessians both technically acknowledge the primacy of He Who Came First, because the gods they worship also acknowledge that primacy, but very few worship the entity itself. According to all sources (Zells acknowledge He Who Came First as the apocalyptic event that destroyed the perfect universe, leaving only The Seven behind as survivors) He Who Came First left after discovering Mundus. He saw it, assigned Bocanadessia and Genosus to oversee it in his absence, and then simply departed back to whatever other realm was next on his tour.

All of the theologies agree that He Who Came First is not present, and cannot hear the prayers of men. Some cults believe that if enough people were to pray to it, it would hear and potentially return, but these cults are generally classified as doomsday cults--the return of He Who Came First would be apocalyptic, it would destroy everything, just as it destroyed the world of The Seven, who were once a race without number.

The only one of these cults which has any real power is actually Orredinian Genosism. The Orredin acknowledge Genosus, but they see him as a servant, and they see themselves as equal to him, in spiritual significance if not in power. They believe that someday, the Over-God will return and lift them up to become beings like Genosus and Bocanadessia, favored servants who will some day rule over their own universes.
Humans are often drawn into this religion with the promise that they, in the "next life" will be made into Orredin, or something similar, and so will ascend a sort of spiritual ladder towards godhood.

The narrative.
Now, I'm not even fucking around.
The simplicity of the system is all to give way to more narrative elements.
The more immersed you get into it the better (less fuck you give about) the system.

oh god the orredin are jehovahs witnesses

If you got to fuck one major npc, which would it be?
And why would it be King?

Probably Galli, but perhaps Helion. The Gallians take great pride in well-disciplined households and highly skilled servants. A much envied arrangement is an Ohanedin sworn to serve a family for a predetermined number of generations. They are known for their use of wooden tongs to handle silverware and other metal objects--which can become a spectacle in and of itself at events, as the elf attempts to move large quantities of metal finery about using what amounts to a pair of chopsticks.

In Helion, however, most members of society end up as someone's servant at some point or another, to gain favor with powerful figures and to make contacts. There, being a butler or a maid is a highly ritualized position, one with uncountable tenants and rules of etiquette. Those who succeed in these positions are often given favorable political posts later in life, while others simply continue doing the work indefinitely.

In the Krajina, there is a fashion of keeping a Zell "in the family" for multiple generations as a sort of tutor for the young lords of the family. She (it is usually a lady, for decorum's sake) is normally a part of the crew of some ship, and comes by yearly to educate the family's heir, sometimes absconding them to go sailing for a few months, or more. The Krajini nobility are quite convinced that young noblemen should all be pirates at some point in their lives, and this is usually accomplished by having them hang out with Zells for a year or two. Occasionally, young ladies are given the same treatment, though this is rarer as most nobles would not dare send their daughters out on a ship full of elves, for fear of never getting them back.

Suffice to say the Krajini nobility are mostly sailors at heart, and the navy is thus quite powerful. All by design, one might say.

Seems an odd thing for a sea-fairing people to believe.

>a young noble lady
>a strong zell captain
>the lady has been extremely infatuated with the zell since she was a small child
>one day she learns she's going to go sailing for years with her
>can she overcome the odds and claim the love of the captain, consumed by the hive mind of her ship?

To a degree it is true. Some parts of the world actually DO fluctuate in size. The Infinite Steppe isn't named that by coincidence. The same is true of the Sea of Eyes, and certain other oceans. Stars also periodically vanish, or reappear. It is much harder navigating the ocean and even the land in Tattered Realms than it is in our world, and to a certain extent the world is in constant flux, if not to the extent that some might imagine it to.

>Jimmy literally made a mechanic to kill the gay thoughts

One of these days it's all going to come back to haunt us.

Mike Pence is actually a sentient elf-boat.

NO ZELL, THAT IS NOT HOW SEX WORKS

Mike "Straight Sextant Only" Pence

A bunch of gay elves on a sentient boat with the voice of Mike Pence would be the funniest fucking series ever.

Once I finally with the JS for it, the hardest part is going to be figuring out hosting. I'm a definitionally broke college student, and while there are free hosting platforms, they can't handle much traffic. Then again, with a game this niche, that might not be a problem.

Ship it as an executable .jar, and just slap it on MEGA?

They're Mormons?

I can't stop laughing at the idea.

It's web app as it stands, built with Flask, postgres for the DB backend, and then some custom bootstrap templates and JS for the front-end. It can't really be changed to an executable.

I could technically build something standalone instead, but I haven't written any Java or C++ in forever. If a python3 install isn't too much to ask I could do a standalone python package and build a GUI in TKinter.

It's not built in such a way that you could give somebody the files and just have them run it through Chrome/Firefox, is it?

>laser mormons empire
Jesus Christ, how horrifying

Well, it is to some extent. As long as the user installed all dependencies it could be run locally. Though that precludes the effective usage of the character sharing, copying, and display features (as it stands it has a somewhat aesthetically pleasing inbuilt character sheet). Also, the dependency list is pretty long, and all the command line stuff might be a bit beyond the comfort level of some or many people in the thread.

>He actually answered the question
This is why I love /sos/, the game's good but the best part is how little of a fuck the main dev gives. I'm not even convinced "Jimmy" is one person, I think it's just the whole company shitposting.

The characters are all my children--They are not for sexual. I do like elves, but I wouldn't mate with an elf. Sullying the genetic purity of immortal super-beings would be a sin I could never sleep with.

Instead I will admit to you that I listen to boy bands while I'm working. I like Fallout Boy. A Little Less Sixteen Candles had a pretty cool music video. Vampires fighting with sparklers. Basically SoS if it were written by a 12 year old who hated his parents.

Someone go tell all of the mainstream developers we've crushed that they were defeated by an alcoholic leopard seal who listens to Fall Out Boy. It'll make it funnier.

So it's generally supposed that the world, in some form, actually predates HWCF?

>Orredin are hindu
Okay

You crushed mainstream developers? What developers have you crushed? Are there actually a lot of big names that routinely earn less than you, or are you just letting the Paizo guys' praise go to your head?

Also teen stuff can be great fun if you don't take it seriously.

I'm being facetious. We did outfund a fair amount of developers with a lot more industry cred than us, but of course we aren't anywhere near competing with big brands.

It is believed that the universe "existed" but that it was totally static and unchanging, without time or light. The coming of He Who Came First destroyed that universe, and created a new one where things changed and grew. The Seven are the last remnant of that old universe, beings who were saved by the shadow cast by the Uber-God's servants, The Twelve Great Old Ones, whose combined shadows left seven safe spaces in the universe where the gods were able to hide.

Come on then, name names. I want to hear the bloody list of your humiliated conquests.

>twelve entities left seven shadows
Not so sure how this works.

I'm listening to Fallout Boy because of you now, and it's honestly pretty shit.

Shadows can overlap. Also don't assume that all of the Twelve emerged from whatever star-rift they came through evenly dispersed around He. They may have come all on one side, and He on the other, creating a dense network of shadow.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6x6sHiFaw
My taste has always been shit. My favorite FPS is FEAR, my favorite RPG is Legend of the Legendary Heroes. I have garbage taste in everything BUT, you follow me.
Who is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

>My favorite FPS is FEAR,
>shit taste
Boi whatchu sayin? Imma have to come over there an slap your shit with some real bad FPSs.

>Who is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
Love is blind, Jimmy-senpai.

You can try. The first FPS I took seriously was Perfect Dark 64. I had 200 hours logged before I was in High School.

My momma warned me about girls like Joanna Dark because they were full of sin and would lead me astray! Can't have that, can we?
(Note to all thots, y'all need some Jaysis.)

Nigga we're both single men growing closer to middle aged with nothing to show for it but a bit too much liquor traveled through our livers. I ain't judging. Just pointing out that while the music videos are ironically shit and potentially enjoyable, nobody following along in this thread should decide to give their music another shot, because it's still shit.

Also you mostly talk about good things on your YouTube channel, which is the main place you talk about actual media that you didn't write yourself. You should post more videos.

Kill my buzz a little harder nigger with a hard R, I'm just sharing what meager inspiration I can still find in pop-culture from ten years ago.

I'm working on youtube also, I tried to do an Ogre Battle 64 review but I fugged up my files.