What are the best places in Great Britain for urban fantasy/horror?

What are the best places in Great Britain for urban fantasy/horror?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news/wales
theguardian.com/world/2017/may/10/number-modern-slavery-victims-referred-met-london-expected-leap
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dover.

The no go Muslim neighborhoods

London is a classic, but honestly any old city has plenty of implicit plot hooks.

Alternatively, a new town like Milton Keynes might be interesting for a more modern/postmodern take on things, rather than going the old school occultism/mythology angle.

Well, that's certainly appropriate for fantasy given that they don't exist.

Heeere we go.

York I'd say.

Or Whitby, that would be cool. Lovely little place and home to Dracula.

Glasgow's pretty horrific.

If you want Ghosts, then Edinburgh would be a good choice while still being urban. And now the vaults are closed to the public there's also all kinds you can have scurry up from the 'undercity'.

Moss Side.

>when you post in a thread but the IP counter doesn't go up

Wales.
Don't even bother making anything up, just check the news every now and then.

Northern Ireland isn't part of Great Britain

Some shithole town in the middle of the fens where everyone is fucking their cousin and as soon as you step out of the town you're in the middle of a fog laden field and there's probably a dozen pagan cults around too.

Like wisbech.

London

>White minority
>What few whites are left are politicians or affiliates
>So far south you can almost piss on France

Horrible.

Don't tell them that.

Portsmouth, Southampton and Plymouth for sea spooks.

Edinburgh, London and Newcastle for standard noir spooks

All of Wales for light hearted spooks.

Man, Veeky Forums really is great at this fantasy thing.

>White minority
How does that add to horror?

A general increase of savagery, eldritch rites and societal decay.

Can confirm, running a nWoD game set in the late 80s when it was at its worst. All the violence and squalor is easy pickings for vampires

Depends on what you want. London, Essex and Glasgow can have urban horror, the towns for slow ocean horror are innumerable, Moss side and certain particular shitholes are good with decay horror and the hills are alive with shrieking in Wales and Scotland. That last bit is just the norm though.

It ultimately depends on the type of horror.

Oh goodness I forgot to apply for my affiliate card, thanks user!

Britfag who runs a lot of WoD here.

London is an amazing setting for WoD since it feels like a city where all the different magical worlds can intersect. It's my go to Hunter location.

Changlings are based in a pub in Camden Town called the Thorny Hog

The entire South Bank Centre area is Elysium for the Vampires since London has one of the largest vampire population in the world

Always fun to throw Mummies in the British Museum, and I even had a Prometheus in Madam Thaussauds.

I love Changling and I've run a campaign in Hampshire near my hometown based in a boarding school, but also one in the Lake District since it's a beautiful part of England. Also Werewolves in Devonshire for the obligatory Sherlock Holmes reference

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is where you want to set it. Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is absolutely terrifying. I got so scared when I went to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch that I almost peed my pants.

And what exactly is a light hearted spook, now?

Manchester.
Oldham.
Anywhere near the Moors, since a good chunk of mythology surrounds them as well as quick mud and hallucinations.
London.
Newcastle.
Black Pool (horror coming in from the tides, PC's must stop it).
Scarborough.

Wales is pretty good for creepy incestuous cults speaking in ungodly languages. It's called the West

>Oldham
Jesus that's too dark even for me

Disfigurements and disabilities.

Midget elves and bed sheet ghosts and the like.

Good old Gunchester.

Moston, Harpurhey Collyhurst and Miles Platting are pretty horrific visually too.

You could absolutely do something with the moors murders, ghosts of dead children, copycat killers etc.

>Hampshire
My dinlo!

When it turns out the spook never actually hurt anyone, and it was all either a misunderstanding or someone impersonating it Scooby Doo style.

The people are friendly around there.

Whitby, small towns in cornwall for sea-borne horror stuff.
Ribblehead Viaduct near Settle in Yorkshire had a LOT of people die during construction. Rumour has it (or rather, my mum told me it as a 'fact') that it was mostly due to fighting, and they just dumped the bodies into the bridge works, and the bones rattle when trains go over them.
The M4, M1, and M6 are likely haunted from all the traffic accidents. Rumour also has it (again, shit my mum said) that the IRA used to hide explosives along the sides of motorways, and dig them up in the dead of night.
Essex is full of murders.
London has all sorts of horror-worthy stuff being unearthed by Crossrail.
Wales is full of mines and caves.
Scotland is still a mostly-uninhabited containment area for scots. So's Wales, really.
If you want urban horror, throw your players into a council estate at night. Can't find your way out because the tower blocks block your GPS signal. The streets are patrolled by subhuman mutants, roads full of street racers, and the police only enter in force or at speed. Everything's wrecked, buildings in constant disrepair, graffiti everywhere, narrow twisty alleyways full of drug dealers and junkies.

>The no go Muslim neighbourhoods
>London
>White minority

Go the fuck back to pol and stay there.

Oh, definitely. Generally in my campaign if there's violent/supernatural badness going down it's usually in Moston or Moss Side.

Really? I left as a child so I wouldn't know. At least it's not friggin' Bury, if it wasn't for the Arcade Club I'd probably suggest carpet bombing it

Wassgood mayne

It was set at a prep school near Romsey on the border with the New Forest. Perfect Changling land

Nah Oldham is shit, Spindles is dying and yorkshire street is full of skets, there's nothing good happening in Oldham, even the fucking metro line is a mess with da yoof hurling bricks at them as they go past.

Cambridge, for certain values of urban. It is a goddam mess planning-wise, compared to Oxford, and those isolated campuses looked ripe for the plucking by some supernatural horror when I visited.

>I left as a child so I wouldn't know
Fair enough.
In general you find some even tempered people around. The sort that'll say good morning or buy a homeless bloke some food.
When they aren't students anyway. The college and school kids are worse than cancer.

>>London
>>White minority
>Go the fuck back to pol and stay there.

But London is a white minority. Scary isn't it?

Only if you're irrationally afraid of particular shades of beige

But it isn't. Look up the fucking statistics before spouting bullshit.

45% white British, 60% white overall.

Although, even if it wasn't, who fucking cares?

No one cares, go back to pol.

London exists solely for taking money from foreigners. That's why Londonium was built, that's why it exists now.
The City merely eases that process through not needing them to even attend.

As a Londoner, I can confirm that you're completely wrong

Just report and ignore off-topic posts.

It's perfectly on topic. Fear of the other is a classic horror staple. I'm sure Lovecraft would have a field day with the Muslim ghettos.

>Spooky places in the U.K..
OP, what time period?

What are some good spook related things in Newcastle?

He might do if they were a real thing, but because they're not is why this is off topic bullshit

York, then you can make excursions to the moors.

>Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
I'll have a vowel please Carol

You're Great Britain refers to the largest island in the British Isles upon which the majority of England, Scotland and Whales are found. Ireland however is most certainly within the British Isles.

Vienna, tons of history for urban fantasy and tons of turks for urban horror.

'W'

Sheffield and Nottingham, really.

>Vienna
>In Great Britain

Murder of the Black Bull Landlady.
The Visitation of a Great Dragon.
Old George Pub.
Witchfinder-thieves.
The gruesome plea of Mrs Moffat.
Martha Wilson – the Quayside ‘silky’
The Theatre Royal tragedy of 1823.
Doctor Long, purveyor of exotic medicines.
‘Black Jackie’ Johnson.
The unwrapping of an Egyptian mummy.
Coffin raider.
The two deaths of Robert Matfin.
The self mutilation of Susannah Nicholson.

To name a few.
Most places in England, Wales and Scotland have a lot of shit like this. You could make a Scooby-Doo adventure out of it.

>Eldritch Rites

The fuck? Is london so shit that they need Cthulhu's help?

>Vienna
>Britain
Are we thinking of the same Vienna?

I'd say Newcastle itself is pretty spooky.

I live in Romsey my nigga! Great place for fey bullshit to happen!

There are 13 vowels in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. That is almost one in five letters.

Not even the most rabid unionist would claim Northern Ireland is part of Great Britain.

They would love to talk your ear off about how being Northern Irish doesn't make you Irish though (no native of Great Britain knows or gives a fuck)

You could go to Glasgow, you wouldn't even need to roleplay. Looks like 28 days later and there's a bunch of heroin/drunk zombies stumbling about. Not to mention the official language is orcish.

I count 21

Londonistan needs all the help it can get.

I was being sarcasting you mong

GO BACK TO /POL/

Cumbernauld.

Look at the shopping centre.

It's literally Chernobyl.

Honestly you won't do better than London for what I'd consider classic urban horror. Nowhere else in the UK compares for size and the attendant sense of anonymity and alienation that's central to the genre. I could imagine living in london and having someone in my building get eaten by vampires every day and being none the wiser.

I'm not from /pol/.
I'm a Veeky Forums original.

>How much concrete do you want?
>ALL OF IT

Go to /pol/ anyway, you'll like it better.

Those shades of beige have a habit of bombing the lighter shades of beige when they feel like it.

It's a moot point anyway, the sea levels will rise and wash away London with it.

>Thread about spooky shit in the U.K..
>Nobody has mentioned Palidion.
>Nobody has mentioned Old Jack.
>Nobody has mentioned Black Shuck.
Fucking hell.

>Are you quite positive sir? We have a very large quantity of concrete here
>ALL
>OF
>IT

I'm comfortable here.
Unlike white people in London.

>unlike racist people in London.

ftfy

So much of the big public buildings in the new towns look like garbage. The only justification I can see is all the somewhat decent architects died in the war.

Did you know slavery and human trafficking is supposed to go up 60% in London in the next 10-15 years? I hope you like a good, cheap maid!

>this
bbc.com/news/wales
>NHS Wales 'not impacted by cyber attack'
>Man who shot his own foot jailed
>Stem cell transplant for brain disease
>Permission to dismantle pier requested
it writes itself

did you know that 100% of statistics listed without a source are complete and utter nonsense?

Googled Palidion and Old Jack, got nothing. Please to explain

Yeh dewd, it was an Innocence campaign so a bunch of kids riding bikes around Romsey after sneaking out of school. Old houses, statures, empty streets.

Fun times

>Not wanting to see your culture disintegrate makes you racist.

With luck, Britain will end up like South Africa.

>implying English people have a culture.

Fuck i would have loved to play with you. That sounds both comfy and creepy at the same time.

Their culture was disintegrating already in the face of Globalism, which is another way to say Coastal United States.

It's for the best, really! I'd rather visit New York than York, what the fuck do they have there worth seeing?

Nice job completely misunderstanding British culture.

Curry is a national dish for a reason. We had a lot of immigration from India and Pakistan and you know what? They integrated. They made British culture richer and stronger because of it. Same for the Black Caribbean immigrants. Same for others, wave after wave of new people, new foods, new ideas from all over the world.

And we'll do it again. They might try to build walls and isolate themselves, but we'll open them up. They might never adapt, but their children? They'll grow up British. British Muslim, British Arabic, whatever flavour they like. But they will be British.

>what the fuck do they have there worth seeing?

no crime, no twin towers memorial, no jews, no americans.

sounds a shitload better than new york.

Never go to NY. It was the most miserable place I've been and I've been to two different places called Death Valley.

theguardian.com/world/2017/may/10/number-modern-slavery-victims-referred-met-london-expected-leap

Here you are, Achmed.

>the guardian

wew pablo.

at least post a credible source like breitbart or infowars.

What the fuck, you don't like NYC? It's the ideal portrayal of the future, along with Los Angeles.

This is why we need to change your culture, and it's happening.

Hope you enjoy Sharia court.

>all this /pol/ nonsense
don't be a fucking mongoloid all your life

>Give me the source
>Here is the source
>I deny this source

Wew lad, don't you have some schoolgirls to fluff, or trucks to plow into crowds?

>home city has only ever been bombed by Nazis and potato-eaters
>entire district with Jews and Muslims right next door to one another, zero trouble
>but oh noes they gonna bomb u!!!
lol okay

can you give me a proper source then, spic.

like breitbart, or /pol/, or some crazy nutjob on youtube.

>theguardian
hahahahaha