EDH/Commander General

"Red Is Broken" Edition

Previous Thread: NEWS

>Commander 2017
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-commander-2017-edition-2017-04-18
>MTGO Banlist Latest Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander
>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
What color combo could use a unique Commander and what would that Commander do?

Other urls found in this thread:

stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx
mega.nz/#!U2wEwZBT!kygBa4jdeT5rCESFmcMUcRwQPcMvp8hxncYPJFSUiPo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I made a simple hypergeometric probability calculator. I found an online calculator that helped me out a lot, but I got annoyed with having to go to the page so I made a commandline application. Actually figuring out the odds helped me understand deck construction better than anything else.

stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx
mega.nz/#!U2wEwZBT!kygBa4jdeT5rCESFmcMUcRwQPcMvp8hxncYPJFSUiPo

The zip includes the calculator, a readme, and the source code.

>What color combo could use a unique Commander and what would that Commander do?
Turns all noncreature permanents into creatures based on CMC (except lands become 1/1s)
Color maybe Simic

WR commander with lifegain from noncombat damage would be neat.
Like a legendary Tamoa or Soulfire Grand Master, but with a little bit of a punch.

BW: Puts target cards in graveyards into exile, and cards in exile into graveyard.

Stop that

>mono red has by far the most fun and interesting commanders
>mono red is also absolute shit in commander
It's not fair.

Black/Red could use another good general other than Grezno, maybe something that refunds you one mana when you cast a spell or something.

Red/White needs a land destruction focused general

J U S T P L A Y S T A X

Blue-Red needs their artifact commander. Most likely copying artifacts and providing a sacrifice effect for card draw / artifact recursion.

Izzet coinflip general.

Im just gonna say what everyone is thinking but boros really, really needs a non-combat general. Seriously Wizards, do some research.

What is the most high iq deck possible in commander?

Just make this a legend and we're good. Everything about it screams legend already anyway. I want a good Jeskai commander and Narset is not my thing.

I'm Working on an Esper control / value grind list. What's some spicy Esper tech. Commander is a toss between Oloro and Triplets.

Teachings is never really bad.
Zur's Wierding can be decent with the health buffer Oloro provides.

Is this thing the most value bear ever printed?

Close but not quite.

Gaddock is cheating a little bit, because he doesn't have the traditional (colorless)(color) mana cost but other than that, yeah I can't argue.

I have such wonderful things to show you.

A sideboard of 10 used to be the official ruling a couple of years ago when the rules were based around league play. You were supposed to sideboard in cards after everyone had announced which commanders they were playing. I guess they changed it when the default rules started to become more focused on a casual mindset.

Without pre-game sideboarding, wishes become modal spells with 10 different modes tailored for your own deck, which is so strong that practically every deck has to run at least one. It's a shame, because there's so much fun ultra-specific jank that is unplayable without wishes.

I guess. Soulfire and Gaddock have 2 different applications though, one enables broken shit and the other shuts down said shit.

Most efficient? Not even close. Scales best with huge mana in format like edh? Maybe.

Which one would be the most efficient?
2 CMC, 2 power, 2 toughness gets me 342 results on magiccards

Just searching rares and mythics is a good start for finding powerful dudes. But cmon, in real formats Soulfire is just a 2/2 lifelinker which dies to everything and at best gets extra 3 life off a bolt or something before it hits the bin.

Off the top of my head the most "value" abilities on bears are:
Fauna Shaman
Gaddock
Confidant (2/1, I know)
Leonin Arbiter/Mindcensor
Kataki

Roon

> I want to do flicker.dec
> I don't want to play Brago
???

oops forgot to post an image, i know no one reads posts without images. plus the dead link will attract even more attention

I want to do flicker.dec that just shits out value, fun ETBs and is hard to kill with board wipes. Thoughts on commanders and colors? Can someone familiar with the archetype write an effortpost? I know about Roon but I was wondering if there were any other decent candidates (since Roon is kinda slow and squishy for what it does)

I'd actually like to do Jeskai flicker but the commanders in those colors suck at flicker

Also no Brago in the command zone though, thanks. I don't want to be "that" guy. I just want to abuse fun ETBs, like pic related

>what is Norrin?

Roon Karmic Hulk.dec

>Vial Smasher
>Kydele

>Rampin' big
>Flippin' hard coins.
>Extra turns for days
>Goblin Bomb with Paradox Haze and Krark's Thumb.

Living the dream.

Hulk triggers on dying, not leaving the battlefield. You want Boonweaver.

In a color with little in the way of flicker support.

If you guys had to build a deck solely around recurring Goblin Bomb and cheating it to 5 counters over and over again how would you do it? >Yes it's janky as fuck but it would feel great to Rings of Brighthearth a Goblin Bomb trigger for the ggz.

Here you are again with that stupid shit card. It's as if nobody told you that edh is not a 20 life format for which that card was designed for. It's simply not worth going through all the hoops in 100 card singleton format for pinging 20 to face.

Try Aetherflux you dweeb, million times more abuseable and actually kills people.

But if my deck is good how can I complain about Spikes in the format?

>HOW DARE YOU TRY SOMETHING THAT ISN'T GAY AS FUCK? HOW DARE YOU NOT BE SPIKE LIKE MEEEEEEEEE

People aren't going to like hearing it, but Doomsday.

would it be worth it to buy 1000 random cards for $32?

>1 Jhoira of the Ghitu on top of 999 mountains.

>1000 storm crows
do it faggot

Jhoira, Ghitu Artificer 1UR

3UR: Create an x/x construct creature token where x is the number of artifacts you control

2/2

Rudy literally just did a video on why those are a scam.

Not that you need to watch it to know that.

Mono-red has way better and more interesting commanders than mono-black or mono-white.

Just out of my mind I can name Daretti, Krenko, Purphoros, Zada and Feldon.

Mono-red is shit but it's commanders compensate for it. That's why playing Boros is a way more miserable experience than playing just Red, because the commanders aren't good.

>Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, return an artifact creature with power 4 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.

i haven't seen the video but does it go like this

>1000 cards that have so little value (common trash) that selling them individually would not be anywhere near profitable
>however, when dumped into a big package with each other, you can sell "literally 1000 cards!!!" in a 32 dollar package, effectually turning 1000 cards with no real value into 32 dollars
>the guy who buys the cards can't do anything with them because they're common trash, except for maybe sell them himself in a similar package

If you're defining bear by cost and not by body...

Kreno is generic tribe shit
Purphuros is Goblins in disguise.

Zada, Daretti, and Feldin (bootleg black reanimator) I will give you

>Thread question
I want a commander that turns creatures into noncreature permanents, in kind of a same way as Soul Sculptor.

I use Akroma, Angel of Fury as my red commander, sometimes she is hard to get out but the morph does help if i think i can risk it

Nah, all other bears by cost are more valuable than a beater.

I used to think that land destruction had no place in casual EDH... But now I realize I had a warped view of casual EDH. I used to think that cards like Sheoldred, Jitte, Ulamog, a few God enchantment creatures, etc all had no place in casual EDH.
Nowadays I realize that these things are fine for casual EDH, but with that realization I've also realized that Land Destruction should be fine as well. The truth is that if someone is playing mono red they not only can't take care of powerful enchantments but they have very few ways to take out creatures with over 7 toughness or indestructible creatures. So are you going to tell me that they should either A) get very lucky or B) willingly lose the game because they have no options?
No, neither of those choices are acceptable. The truth is that land destruction is the most powerful tool in Red's arsenal, not using it puts mono red players at a supreme disadvantage. If you feel like you're allowed to use supremely strong creatures "because they can be removed" or supremely strong enchantments "because they can be removed" then I feel that I'm allowed to use supremely strong land destruction "because you can run mana rocks".
And just as you say "Well you should run more removal!" I say "Well you should run more mana rocks!" and then you can say "Well I do but they aren't in my hand right now!" and I reply WITH THE EXACT SAME SENTIMENT towards removal.
So at the end of the day I say this; If the point of casual edh is still to win, which it obviously is if you're running $20 powerful praetors, then I'm going to do what I can to win, which is to keep you from being able to play those praetors.

>Thread Question
A WR commander that doesn't deal with combat tricks. Maybe one that utilizes ETB effects and token making, which both do.

Partner ETB guy.

Bruse has an ETB effect, but it just makes something better in combat.

A 4/5 body with an anthem (even an uncommonly utilized anthem) for 1G is amazing.

If you're okay with adding green to the mix Hazezon Tamar has an ETB token effect.

Why would you post Advocate over Tarmogoyf?

>unironically watching Alpha Investments

He seems like a scammer anyways so who better to learn from

The only sensible definition for casual EDH is simply "not high tier".

>Fun? In my fucking format?

Please stop with the obvious bait.

>unironically hating on Rudy

because Tarmogoyf is just a 0/1, user

I dont hate him. I just think he's a jackass who has some cringey videos that feel like I'm watching desolater magic

Speaking of which, how do I forsake my love of Sun Titans and start running Rest In Peace in all my Wx decks?

And Advocate is just a 2/3.

protip: they're actually "random" cards

I'll take my 2/3 with vigilance on an empty board, sure

Hi I'm new to magic. Anybody have any tips new players should know?
So far I bought the Mind vs Might duel decks and 2 booster packs of Amonkhet. I also heard not to buy boosters. What are the best products to buy?

Never listen to advice here, Veeky Forums doesn't know how to play magic.

Commander's a format for people who've memorized thousands of cards and want to mash together something terribly silly out of them. I'd recommend going to a standard or modern thread.
As for to buy, it depends on the format you'd like to play. For Commander, which pulls from all formats, the only way to get cards is to purchase them select.

Stax is tougher to pilot than doomsday, storm is pretty close too.

I got a deckbuilding challenge for you, /edh/. Choose a commander. Any commander, preferably a powerful one. Got it? Alright.
The first 11 cards in your deck must also be from the set your Commander was in. If it has several reprints, you can choose the set.
The next 22 cards must have been originally released in the same year your commander was also originally released.
The next 33 cards must be from sets released a year before or after the initial printing of your commander and cannot be rare or mythic rare.
The last 33 cards can be from any set or year, but must have been reprinted at least once.

Sounds really dumb

It's pretty reasonable, there's not enough cool dudes to flicker in WU so the only wincon with Brago is to be an asshole with Strionic Resonator and rocks

That sounds cool, but autistic. Have you tried this yourself?

>Win 5 50/50's
>In a row
Fuck me.

>tips new players should know?
The object of the game is to defeat your opponent. Do not let delusions of honor cloud your judgement. Strike swiftly and decisively. Ill be waiting for you at the top of the mountain.

Jhoira as the first UR artificer would be rad, there's even precedent for it.

I wanted to build coin flip tribal (maybe with zada) but 90% of coin flip cards are just unplayable, not even jank, just trash

That's a cute bugger.

Did the mailman bring you anything today /edhg/?

too much effort, no thanks

White weenie, unironically. Beating 3 people through combat with 3-4/Xs through removal, counters and combos is the the most difficult task you'll experience.

Today or tomorrow I'll be getting my budget casual Roon enchantress deck to play all of the enchantments I like but can't find homes for.

>AUTISM
>U
>T
>I
>S
>M

Go upload this to reddit or something, it only loosely belongs here and I'm fairly certain nobody is really looking to download a random user's "calculator" on a whim.

It can still be combat, just make it interesting.

>2RW Jew King
>Legendary Creature - Irsaeli Lord
>2/4
>At the beginning of combat on your turn, creature your opponents control lose all abilities and cannot have or gain abilities until end of turn. Each opponent may choose to ignore this effect until end of turn. Draw a card for each that does so.

>(((Jew))) card
>not a tax effect

the tax is letting you draw a card in exchange for not being stripped bare

what a mess of a card

pls no bully,is orignal donut steel

Anyone know good equipment commander deck can I study?

Hey, /EDHG/, I'm thinking about putting together a Brothers Yamazaki/Brothers Yamazaki partner deck. I talked about it with my playgroup and nobody had any issues with it given that the Bros aren't really that strong anyways.

So my only question is: how should I build it? What should I include?

Create a narrative with your card choices. Have the Brothers band together with their other Samurai buddies to take on their Rogue Sensei Godo

Gahiji or Uril. G solves some of RW's problems, but you still have access to Stoneforge Mystic and Sunforger, and both commanders encourage attacking.

>ran under a prossh deck and locked him out with a magus of the moon, a t1 serra ascendant and my aether membrane
Who said boros sucked?

Just add every single flavorful card you can find and don't give a shit about anything else, because it'll be janky regardless

I like the way you two think.