Genders playing other genders

Is it okay?
Why or why not?

Everyone must be amorphous silicate blobs with no perceivable sex or gender because I cannot trust any other adult human not to make playing a dude/chick weird.

It's just fine. As a trisexual quasigendered trans-Atlantic helicopter, the most fun I have is when I play males.

Do you play a male or female in videogames Veeky Forums? Why?

I've never been in a group who had a problem with it. I still find it weird how bent out of shape Veeky Forums gets over crossplay.

By all logic it should be ok since it's what's expected from the GM all the time. Usually it's fine in a good group.

However Veeky Forums as a whole is completely dysfunctional, nihilistic, and cynical to the extreme so we're going to be arguing about it for the rest of this thread because muh autism, muh ERP, muh teegee.

In other news, Pathfinder is shit, but still playable, 5e is rapidly becoming the most popular edition of D&D, Female Space Marines are a thing now, and 8th edition is going to be decent. Oh, and your waifu is Shit.

Depends on the person.

If a guy is playing a chick realistically and not putting too much emphasis on being the girl, it's cool. But if they're getting magical realmy and making their character a scantily-clad bimbo who exists for them to get off to... I don't really fuck with people who do that.

>Is it okay?
Doesn't matter
>Why or why not?
Because I'm not some sperglord who will have a panic attack when some neckbeard decides he wants to play an elven slut
Execution is what matters most

Yes.

Because tabletop both a game and a form of collaborative storytelling, and as such you can tell the story of any kind of character you want.

Any issues caused by playing any sort of character is a problem with the individual player, not the character they're playing.

The answer to this question will never change, no matter how many times it gets asked.

I love amorphous blobs! 10/10, would RP. Maybe we can have some gelatinous cubes or something for minor diversity.

>Maybe we can have some gelatinous cubes or something for minor diversity.
Get the fuck out. Get the FUCK out.

Fine. What about puddings?

Fucking DEGENERATE!!!

Usually not a problem if the player has something in mind before making a character.

A "Female barbarian who wears the pelts of animals she's hunted, and solves her problems by smashing heads together" is a lot better than "A female rogue with a crop top"

>puddings
>>>/tumblr/

I want to play a ferrofluid amalgam! I know it's third party but it's totally balanced!

You see this salt? YOU SEE THIS FUCKING SHAKER?

Quit Powergaming and create a real character.

male
do what comes natural

...Jellies?

Of course it's fine. A lot of people just suck at it.

1) Whoever has the better VA (Femshep bestshep)
2) Whoever is hotter

Quit shoving your pedophilia fetish or we'll report you

I agree. That way you can make them as naughty as possible.

In all honesty I think you ought to eat the bullet my man.

>Play Sci-Fi campaign.
>One of the fish alien races has 4 genders.
>Just choose male cause it's easiest.

Female, because it briefly makes my dysphoria go away.

Not even oozes?

>Mass Effect

>finding it weird that Veeky Forums gets bent out of shape over anything

Welcome and enjoy your stay.

...What texture?

You're kidding, right?

If you're not kidding, just kill yourself already.

>DAE think Mass ERECT is le suck? XD

Well meme'd

It is A-okay.
Because why the hell not.

Mass Effect 1 was a decent enough game. That's it.

Gray ooze, so simultaneously stony and slimey.

I'm running out of potentially slime options, unless I tap into overpowered things like aspects of Ghaunadaur or not-quite-slimes like water weirds.

It's ok to have shit taste, user, but you should probably keep it to yourself.

I often play females if only because everyone else is playing males.
My females might as well be men though because I like playing tough, gritty, unappealing women.

No, really. ME2 and ME3 have some good moments but the story takes almost a 180 from the second game (the intro to the second game is *brutal* if you were a major fan of the first, the second game literally destroys almost everything from the first game) and the third is just a huge unsatisfying mess with the occasional speech you can get behind.

They gave up almost everything interesting for chest-high walls, badly scripted drama and an insufferably edgy deviantart character. FemShep IS the best VA though, sure.

>Female Space Marines are a thing now
Except they aren't, and that rumor is entirely a Veeky Forums troll construct.

>t. Butthurt Imperial Lorefag.

It's okay, there's no reason for it not to be. Sex and sexuality in the game is a seperate issue.

It is not OK.
The player should be playing a character.
If all the player does is be a gender, they're not roleplaying. Or really playing at all, or being a functional human.
Likewise, if there's nothing more to the character than their gender, the player is failing to do basic roleplay.

Go see a professional.

I feel like that should just be a general rule. If the most important thing about a character is their gender, sexuality, ethnicity or any of that bullshit, they're a bad fucking character.

And I say that as a lefty. I like the idea of diverse characters, the problem is how many morons try to pander by making shitty fucking characters and just palette swapping them as if that fucking helps. And then you get the legions of people acting like they're amazing just because they're 'supporting the cause'.

It is a general rule at my table.
If you can't explain how your character's [sexuality/strange third gender/bizarre parentage/non-core race/mental condition/foreign ethnicity/background traits] shapes them and matters in under a minute, then it's vetoed.

An exception is given if we're doing chargen, in which case you have a lot more time (but I'll be expecting a good answer if I already asked the question before). Rushed characters are trash characters, after all.

Not quite what I meant?

I more focus on what makes them an interesting character first and foremost. Race/gender/sexuality are all secondary, and I don't really mind what they are as long as it makes sense in context, it doesn't have to be particularly significant or justified.

Imagine all of the following being said by a male in YOUR group who you actually know:

>Ok I hide the items in my BOOBS HAHAAHAHA
>LOL ok I seduce the monster because I'm hawt loololol
>TEEHEE my 5'4", 110lb character can kill any man because she is that deadly lollllool
>I flirt with the blacksmith to get a better price. Silly boyz

The obvious solution- Don't play with shitty people. The characters gender is entirely irrelevant.

[MAN here] BTW I love role play homosexual men who are bad ass and will rip off the head of any enemy, turn into a fiery crisp, and then proceed hate fuck whatever character I fancy at the moment. I am the lumberjack homosexual, what fuck are you are the pussy faggot?

Eh. You can, in theory, make a character where their race is a defining trait or leads to the defining trait.
"Half-orc raised in human lands faces persecution when orc horde invades, seeks to prove his humanity by fighting orcs" is a simple but solid foundation.
"Minor noble who fled his father because he's gay and didn't want to have to hide it or marry that strumpet" is workable.

The issue is when the trait is just sorta there.
"Half-drow is wily trickster thief, stabs people and looks dashing" isn't a terrible concept (it's not good, but it's not actively bad), but the "half-drow" part has jackshit purpose to exist.
"Normal character, but gay" is, well, gay for no apparent narrative reason. That's badwrong, though I won't really bitch about it (or crossplaying) if the player's not being a jackass about "DUDE MY FAG SUCKS HIS COCK".

We've got a simple rule to keep this out: you can't crossplay in the game unless you crossplay at the table.

Done. Does my IRL summer dress have to match my summer dress in the game?

Neither of the latter really bother me? Different styles, I suppose.

And with the former, I agree to an extent, but I'd argue the focus is the context and the storytelling, not just the race.

>Is it okay?

I don't see why it wouldn't be.

>Why or why not?

Why wouldn't it be?

Female. If I gotta stare at an ass for 20+ hours, it might as well be one that I find attractive.

>"Normal character, but gay" is, well, gay for no apparent narrative reason.

There needs to be a reason? Why?

I have a male player who's character is a female twi-lek. He brings a lot of well timed humor and a lot of cheek to the sessions.

play whatever character you want, that's the beauty of rpgs

Whichever fits the story better, orIf I am going into a new game blind I pick a male.

If there is a reason for it beyond waifu/fetish shit then sure, depends on the player mostly. In my expirence unless the player goes out of their way to constantly remind everyone, most people forget that the player is playing the opposite gender.

S'okay. As long as they're well-crafted and well-played, I don't even care if you've based them on your personal appeals. I get more guys playing bisexual/lesbian women. I get more girls playing gay men. As long as they're not derailing the story for their own purposes, they can play whatever they like. I wish they'd surprise me a bit more, but eh. None of them has ever been blatantly offensive in what they play.
Heck, the token bisexual, gender-ambiguous changeling I had in my previous campaign was played by the token straight guy player (all the others were some shade of LGBT).

People are here to play something different. Seems a bit dumb to restrict them to their own gender while making a character. But then again, I've never been face to face with the magical realm boogieman.

>play female for first time with regular group
>awkward as fuck autistic-sperg tier atmosphere while I try to roleplay as the female while everyone else is silent
Never again

So, you've got a bad group? Sorry to hear that.

>I've never been face to face with the magical realm boogieman.
That's kind of part of why it is a boogieman.

I tend female. Somehow I think the sexual aspect ties me more to the character.

Homosexuality is, due to how people weight character traits, very defining.
In the example I gave with the noble, a bunch of people would internalize that character as "Gay noble", instead of "runaway noble" or "favors love over status".
As a result, if the homosexuality of a character isn't narratively significant, it causes a sort of disconnect. "Hey, why's the gay guy not doing gay things?" I'll agree that "and he's gay" is realistic, but it's not good storytelling.

Gender is a spook, so do whatever.

Male if it's a self-insert thing like Mass effect.

Whatever fits the concept best if it's something like Dark Souls.

>being so beta you even get nervous around imaginary women

More like nervous around grown ass men pretending to be teenage girl elves

Go deeper like I did, play your gender that then gets genderbent and has to play another gender.
But do they have child-bearing hips user?

>if the homosexuality of a character isn't narratively significant, it causes a sort of disconnect. "Hey, why's the gay guy not doing gay things?"
That's a shitty rule for a shitty group user. If you have to act like a living stereotype or be dramatically impacted for a minor choice like gender or sexuality then why even bother? It won't be fun roleplaying.

I have never had any player do that
Your friends are shit and so are you.

>but it's not good storytelling.

I disagree. I think things are better when sexuality is treated as significantly as hair or eye color.

>This character of mine is gay
>WHY AREN'T YOU SUCKING COCKS ALL THE TIME ? THAT'S WRONG !
>what ?
>THAT'S WRONG AS WELL IF YOU SUCK THEM TOO, BTW

I'm usually OK with girls playing male characters, but not with guys playing female ones.
Though recently my best friend decided to run a WFRP 2e game, and during chargen we decided it would a good idea to roll for everything, including for character's sex. We were pretty drunk at the time, so it seemed like a good idea for the moment.
So I ended up with playing 18 year old female Apprentice Wizard. At first I was rather uncomfortable, but soon I started to enjoy RPing her.

I'm a chick and sometimes (only sometimes) I play a dude because it fits the character concept better.
I played with dudes who played female characters well, but I also played with dudes who got all magical realm when playing a female character.
It reaaaally depends on the person I think

I'm not OP but I agree with the execution part. We have a pretty even split in my gaming group between male and female players. What I noticed is when our ladies play dudes they actually try and play dudes and usually pull it off. When the one guy who sometimes plays chicks plays a chick he always just plays a dude with tits and it irritates and confuses me. I never understood his facsination with playing every chick like a barbarian half orc stereotype. I would probably feel a lot better about it if he did try to play it like an elven slut.

It helps to start playing around grown ass men pretending to be teenage boy elves.

I dont think I've seen more than maybe 1 instance of crossplaying not being done creepily.

Poor lil jamal, just to spite some people

This.

Whose fault is it that the people you play with are shit.

>AM as a dm

male because i realize i'm a sperglord and playing a woman would end badly

yah I always though he was female.

I don't think there is an explicit problem with it, but every guy playing a girl that I've ran for have been obnoxious people. So in my mind there's some correlation to playing a girl as a guy and being a shitty player. The WORST is when it's clearly just they play her like some slut and try and make you do really awkward RP with them.

I haven't had any problems with girls playing guys yet

2015 please leave

>but soon I started to enjoy RPing her.
>RPing her
uh

My rule of thumbs from a few years of experiencing a diverse player base is:

Straight dude: can only play a dude
Straight girl: can play either
Gay dude: can play either
Lesbian: can play either

This is for randoms. If you know the people none of it matters.

>Woman playing a man
This is always fine.

>Man playing a woman
This is fine unless there are actual women in the group. But then again, why would you want to play with women?

Women tend to play better male characters than dudes.

>Women tend to play better male characters than dudes.

It's been completely true IME. I would throw over my existing group for an all-women one in an instant. Generally 1 female player can be a problem because a ton of folks in RPGs are oversexed lonely nerds, but from 2+ you only get better groups. Again IME but women tend to engage way more with the character and plot.

I can insert all my fetishes into my girl characters and because they're so fringe and subtle no one will notice

>thinking I don't notice they all have silver-framed glasses and drink heavily

By "can play" do you mean "has a high likelihood of portraying the character effectively" or "these are my rules at the table"?

Okay dude we believe that you're not just another one of those "oversexed lonely nerds" misplacing positive attributes on women because you're thirsty as fuck and that biases you into thinking the women are better than they really are.

I mean, I qualified it IME. I fully accept your experiences may be different.

Tanks are female
Caster type healers are female
Melee dps, melee heals, and anything that uses Int as a primary stat is male