D&D 3.5

Rules Cyclopedia

not this one.

I dunno.. WEG D6?

2e AD&D for fantasy
or
Twilight:2000 1e for post apocalyptic shiz

skub

I really enjoy the Rogue Trader setting and skill system with the new only war combat system

The one you enjoy playing with your friends

Fuck your shit taste.

>7.5e
>Not 2e

Get out of here with your hipster cuckery faggot.

it's a matter of taste of course, but I find a good measure of a game's quality is to look at the Veeky Forums threads bitching about it.

If it's about the game's mechanics, then you can use that as a sort of measuring stick to see the game at it's hypothetical worst, since the people posting will be actively trying to make the most absurd white-box scenarios they can imagine in order to "prove" the game is shit.

On the other hand, if the arguments against the game more or less amount to "R-Reddit likes it REEEE" then it's probably a pretty good game, but it's cool to hate popular things and Veeky Forums as a whole as a burning need to be contrarian.

>Veeky Forums as a whole has a burning need to be contrarian
No we don't

Personally, I'm really digging the way the Infinity rpg is looking so far.

Dungeon the Dragoning!

your mother

I do this from time to time with my improv group. The absolute best of times.

Champions. Any edition.
Or Amber. All the rules, or none.

The one that best captures the feel of the game you're going for.

>not playing a wide variety of gaming systems and having fun with a variety of settings and different mechanics

Bunch of fucking casuals.

Unless you are a D&Dfinder fag that thinks it is the best and only game then

IT DEPENDS

I made my own RPG and it works like a JRPG in combat and D&D outside of it.
Most people would say it is bad. It probably is. But it works perfect for my specific group.

Everyone should make their own systems tailored to their groups.

This definitely happens a lot with houseruling, and is definitely a natural process within groups.
I don't know about making every group invent their own, however.
There's usually something out there that gets it right, unless you think your setting could make use of rules from multiple sources.

what's the best system for
1. diverse character creation
2. flowing, varied combat
3. immersion
4. producing a good story

1. GURPS
2. 13th Age
3. FATE
4. Star Wars: Edge of the Empire

All in my personal experience.

D&D 4e

Correct.

Storyteller system
Only the most basic math needed and is pretty excellent for combat light games

Whew, your taste is awful.

Do people actually like Gurps? I've only heard overwhelming bad things about how it plays.

ORE
ORE
ORE
ORE

Then you've only heard complete falsehoods, user.

Whichever your group has the most fun with.

> I've only heard overwhelming bad things about how it plays.

I can explain GURPS without hitting charlimit. The entire core mechanic is based on 3d6 roll under, so you are always trying to roll under a number generally between 3 and 18. There are difficulty penalties that reduce this number thus making it harder to roll under. You make characters with character points, I shouldn't have to explain this shit. Stats are Strength Dex Intellect and Health, and skills are purchased relative to those numbers. Skills also have different difficulties (guns easy but particle physics hard) but there is a table and honestly it's pretty easy to memorize after a point. So you might have a Rifles skill at DX + 4 so if your DX is 11 your rifles skill is 15. No different than any other stat+skill RPG. You've got hit points equal to your Strength and sometimes you can buy more. Attacking is just roll under attack skill to hit, defender can parry by rolling under 3 + 1/2 weapons skill, or Dodge by rolling under 3 + 1/2 ((DX+HT)/4). Or, 3 + 1/2 basic speed. That's honestly the most complex part of the game, the basic speed / dodge calculations. Everything else is dirt simple. You can honestly run GURPS like a ruleslite narrative game if you want.

I love the fuck out of GURPS but it is mostly good for modern combat / mystery / interaction focused games. I love it for post-apocalypse games, and for zombie apocalypse games as well. Definitely a pretty realistic game, heroic realism but still realism.

GURPS has a few broken aspects but the GM is meant to cover for those. It is the only RPG I can think of that I would give an actual 10/10 rating to for what it does.