How does this sound to you Veeky Forums?

In my setting kingdoms have a type of knight called an "Outrider Knight" Inspired by Dark souls yes These knight's travel far, far away from their kingdom's as they have been assigned a specific task.
This task my be to hunt down a criminal or guard a missionary.
These knights are trained from the age of 15 and are sent on their first task at 20.
Once they reach the age of 40 they are retired immediately and are sent to the palace as a royal guard.
There are 100 outriders at the moment and it's a 60 male/ 40 female split.
Your thoughts/tg/?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight-errant
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Make them 58 / 42 just so that it seems more natural and that they earned their position.

Otherwise, this user likes it.

Sent by who? Why? What is their reward and motivation?

Historically knights were essentially minor lords and spent their time looking after their holdings and doing lordly things, how are these ones going to be able to manage their keeps if they're in buttfuck nowhere?

I like specifically purposed knight orders, so this is pretty cool.

The Black Knights are still the coolest knights in all of Souls though./spoiler]

>Sent by who?
The high king of Nemiral
>Why?
It's a specific kind of people.
Third child of a knight
>Reward and motivation?
Reward and motivation is a life of adventure and risk.
Along with the fact that every outrider is given royal treatment.
And for the last one the thing is....
It's my setting.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight-errant

Okay yeah.
But get this.
Imagine a knight travelling across the sea and heading across America to hunt a criminal down.
That's an outrider.

How do they travel?
Are they just all over the place and have a magic device that tells them a wanted criminal is nearby?
What strategys do they use?
Do they believe in honor a honor code?

>How do they travel?
Carrige or boat
>Are they just all over the place and have a magic device that tells them a wanted criminal is nearby?
They hunt relentlessly in the general area they believe the target is.
>What strategys do they use?
Pincer attacks and traps along with pursuit preditation.
>Do they believe in honor a honor code?
They have a loose and lax code of ethics.
1) You shall swear to obey the laws of the land thou are in
2) You shall seek only the target if you are hunting one
3) Do not let yourself grow to love the lands you travel too
4) Never disobey a order from the king
5) Never kill another Outrider

You seem like a retard, OP. I'm not even the user you're replying to there.

We're on Veeky Forums
Everyone is retarded.

If you don't want people making comparisons to Dark souls you could call them Knight Errant

otherwise, cool idea.

I like calling them outriders though.
I get that the real life term is knights-errant but Outrider sounds nicer.

>inspired by dark souls
trash.jpg

wow

Outrider is often used for a mercenary on horseback. Lightly armed and armored, best used for scouting and raiding since they don't have the training or equipment to fight mounted knights.

Start them off younger. In the Medieval setting you'd Squire under a Knight from a very young age and could become a Knight after they hit adulthood. Please user, change the ages, for me. Its a pet peeve of mine when people ignore the age differences from the Medieval setting.

Is their primary... purpose to become a effective Royal Guard? If so there might be a better training regimen for bodyguards then globe trotting. Maybe they get put into a specific military unit, more Varagian Guard then Castle Guard. Practical not ceremonial.

Outrider doesn't really fit a Knight sadly, its a cool name but when I hear it I just think Scout. Warhammer would call these men Questing-Knights.

If a Outrider was kidnapped, could they be held for ransom?

>Fugitive slips out of the warm tavern to take a piss.
>Looks up from the mud to see a Knight on horseback, sword and shield in hand looking at him
>"Dead or Alive. Your coming with me"

>and it's a 60 male/ 40 female split.
It's a shit Order then.

Anything less than 90% male is weak trash.

Outrider is a word with the meaning it sounds like it has outside of dark souls. Dark Souls does not have a monopoly on basic concepts.

Or has a very odd selection process.
I get that its fantasy but the female percentage of Knights should be like less then 2 percent considering how unique these woman were.

What's the process for a task being elevated to "we should assign an outrider to this?
How does the kingdom communicate with them while they're away?
Does this cause any legal troubles with your fancy knights running around other kingdoms?
Training and outfitting a knight isn't cheap; these must be pretty important tasks to warrant that kind of cost.
What's the mortality rate like?
Do they ever father children while they're out?
How long are they typically out at a time before returning? How are they supplied?

There've been ideas that were a lot worse.

This one I like though, neat concept, cool execution, have flaws but they aren't so obvious as to make them underpowered or useless.

Nice

This guy has good questions. These aren't to be spiteful, just to help you flesh it all out. I pester my girlfriend for questions when I make stuff.

Can they be held for ransom. If so a lone wandering knight is a walking moneybag.
Do they have Squires? Outriders in training?
Why aren't there more Outriders, do that include the old Royal Guard?
What do the Royal Guard do other then sit on their ass and guard the king?
Why use Knights instead of covert Bounty Hunters to hunt down criminals. As soon as I hear a Outrider Knight is in town I'm going to ground or looking for some guys to help me murder him in his sleep and sell his stuff. Since he's so far away from his home kingdom, I'll be long gone before they send somebody else to look for him.
Do they have any special privileges inside the Kingdom?
How often do Outriders shrug off their duty and become Bandits or serve a different Lord or King. What motivates them to stay and what could motivate them to leave?
What kinda criminals are these? Your average murderer or political prisoners like Lords, Ladies and Courtiers who have fled from court?
Why the large amount of Woman? Given the sexual differences in the medieval setting.