>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>I am the hammer! I am the point of His spear! I am the mail about His fist! I am the bane of His foes!
youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

>Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2010/05/photo-backgrounds.html
corvusminiatures.blogspot.com/2010/04/cloud-backdrops-for-your-miniature.html
forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Raven-Guard-MKVI-Heads-Upgrade-Set
games-workshop.com/en-US/Dark-Angels-Paint-Bundle
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Plz ignore the white primer spots I ran out of black and this thing sat for 3 years

Someone can add to their OP post:

>bacgrounds for your miniatures' photos
massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2010/05/photo-backgrounds.html
corvusminiatures.blogspot.com/2010/04/cloud-backdrops-for-your-miniature.html

or include it in lightbox part

I present, an Inquisitorial Stormtrooper, ready to help the Ordo Xenos in purging the alien!

Is that a Forgeworld hazardous environment Cadian upgrade or did you mod that yourself for the regular kit?

Anyone know of good tutorials or examples of figures painted in a very cartoon-like or cel shaded style?

Nother one just about done, trying out some texture paints for basing.

Forgeworld, I wish I was resourceful enough to have modded it myself.

It's the Forgeworld kit, I wish I was resourceful enough to have modded it myself though.

It's the kit from Forgeworld, I wish my resourcefulness lets me mod it myself.

This is the firs time I'm on this board.

I used to collect Warhammer 40k Ultramarines 15 years or so ago, when I was 15 or something like that. Recently I've been hanging out with some people that still play it, and I've managed to find my old figurines.

They look fucking awful, I was so bad. The amount of pain on them is enough to paint 10x the number of figurines.

So now I'm taking off the paint with some Dettol.

I started with my 4 terminators and a single old plastic marine.

I'm actually thinking of remaking my old army as an Iron Hands one. I don't know if I'm being too ambitious, but Ultramarines don't sound very interesting any more.

I've already ordered some upgrade sets with heads, shoulder pads, and decals.

It's not the worst model i've ever seen but I think the whole thing just looks sloppy. Just because it's nurgle isn't an excuse for it to look a mess.
the white spots make things worse, it's seriously not that hard to just do a decent basecoat over them and it would have looked so much nicer.

I know painting a black-silver-white army is going to be hard to make look good, but I like the challenge.

And I also really dig their transhumanist fetish.

My old army consisted of:
1 captain
21 marines
5(6?) assault marines
4 terminators
1 dreadnought
1 rihno with a cannon
1 land speeder
2 bikes

I think I want to build an army which is based around dreadnoughts and terminators.

I just barely started reading Clan Raukaan.

hey, neat

Im going back to get them. I didnt have a way to spray a basecoat on and this thing was already assembled from 3 years ago

There, went back got 90% of the white spots, wasnr as hard as I thought

Dettol works but it's hard work.

A good portion of my bath is in paint specks. And my gloves are already covered in blue paint.

I can't imagine doing the whole army like this.

Maybe if I let them sit in it for a few days...

I just bought the Dark Vengeance set for some practice painting for cheap, and I was wondering if someone could tell me what paints I need to paint the set?

I just want to paint these so I can start painting My Dudes.

Why are vanguard heads so incredibly good looking on everything but the skitarii models they come with? I mean damn that looks great. I like the mix of vic parts in there too

first of my shadow war nd

Anyone have any experience with the Army Painter paints?

There's this big $100 box set on sale on Amazon that tempting me, and it's very comprehensive.

1. FOCUS!

2. I like it. Thinner lines for some of the highlights, but otherwise, good job.

nice

>Dettol works but it's hard work.
>A good portion of my bath is in paint specks. And my gloves are already covered in blue paint.
>I can't imagine doing the whole army like this.

It's worth it. Hard work and courage!

It originated from the website that you had mentioned, Forgeworld. However, I wish I had sufficient resourcefulness to create the conversion of my own means.

>pouring antiseptic solution down the drain
OI
I hope you use small volumes, user

Mixed results. 2 terminators and 1 marine are squeeki clean, 2 need another round.

I will definitely clean my dreadnought, the rihno, and the terminators, but I don't know about the marines. We'll see.

A bit might have went down the drain while I worked, but that's it. I actually had a metal container that I worked in, and in the end I poured the rest into the toilet.

Forgot to add.

I dropped one of the terminator arms down the drain...

I had the metal container exactly to prevent that, but it just slipped my fingers, bounced a few times, and straight into the drain.

I guess since I'm making an Iron Hands I can mod it to look like a ripped of mechanic arm with wires and such.

>I dropped one of the terminator arms down the drain...
>I had the metal container exactly to prevent that, but it just slipped my fingers, bounced a few times, and straight into the drain.

I was cleaning some metal First Edition Terminators once, and didn't notice when one of their besagews (such as the one this terminator librarian bears) disappeared down the drain. I did, however, notice it the first time I subsequently turned on the garbage disposal.

sinks have that bend in the drain pipe specifically to catch heavy things, it may still be in there if you didn't have alot of water go through yet

trukks

Dis iz proppuh Orky.

Hey /wip/ kinda tempted to take a mini and try to paint it as bad as I can. Basically take everything I know about painting... And do the opposite.

Taking paint straight out of the pot, never cleaning thr brush, holding the mini while painting.

I want to make a monster. Should I?

seems like a waste of time

do it
although it might be harder than you think, making something hilariously bad rather than just something plain bad
most funny bad effects are achieved with genuine effort thinking you're doing good

you'd have better chances trying to pain well with your non-dominant hand or using some medium radically different than the one you usually use and trying to do good

that is, if you're going for amusingly bad, I think doing any of these things would help you

>book about kikes
you're a funny guy, koleżko
good luck stripping

That's fair. It maybe just a pointless task as the best of the worst is always done by those who try. Trying to make something shitty would just look too obvious. Look at OPs pic, you just know the people who painted those put in genuine effort.

Does Thunderhawk Blue look good as a primary color for a marine? I'm finally starting work on my guys and I want to go for a kind of Boreal Forest color scheme and I settled on Thunderhawk blue with caliban green trim, and eshin grey for the details.

Stripping always is a pain in the ass, but at least it seems to be working for you. It's always a question of how much time you have on your hands. If you don't want to let the stuff soak for days you might want to look into some airbrush cleaner cans, that stuff does wonders for myself.

Luvly lenses/headlights.

Imma repost my shit from last thread. Finished these formations just in time for formations to be kicked down the drain. Go me! Please let me know what you think of them before i prime them. I'm still fixing mould lines on the puppets of war sculpts, they are just awful.

Also got some death guard terminators in the pipe. I think this whole conversion things is getting out of hand.

Okay, trying this again.

I want to paint this little guy up, and was wondering if anyone had experience with painting open cuts, scrapes, or shrapnel wounds.

I got my first marines, usually paint my goofy valhallans. Got some questions
Is it best to paint the backpacks and heads separate from the model itself? Automatically assumed 2hd weapons are the case and did that to the flamer.
Also
Why do space marines have such fuck huge Pauldrons?
Why do black templars look so cool? Even headless they look amazing.

The gw stuff looks a little big on the puppetswar torso/legs, the elongated aesthetic of the raptor heads doesn't help much either.They've got a good look overall though, I'm sure it'll blend better when they're painted. How much of a pain was it to pose the pw stuff? Also not a big fan of the lord's head but hey that's just me.
These are great, gotta appreciate when someone knows how to do greenstuff right instead of lel nurgle like the dread earlier in the thread. The bases for both images are fantastic as well user. Hope to see more of this stuff.

backpack is much easier to deal with unattached, I glue heads on out of fear of loosing them (and I pick specific ones for certain duders so this helps avoid mixing them up and forgetting what goes where), pauldrons are often described as being utilized as built-in shields, especially when charging the enemy.

>Is it best to paint the backpacks and heads separate from the model itself?

Backpacks, heads, and pauldrons, especially if the pauldrons have to have an unusual trim colour. You might regret having glued those on your Black Templars, since they wear white robes but have black trim on their pauldrons.

For heads, I drill a tiny hole in the bottom and mount them on a piece of wire; you can see my latest lot sticking out of the white foam block in the background here. Not only does this makes them easier to prime and paint, but when they're ready, I already have my pin to attach the head to the torso.

>Automatically assumed 2hd weapons are the case and did that to the flamer.

They are indeed. It's much easier to paint the plastron if there's no bolt gun getting in the way.

>Why do space marines have such fuck huge Pauldrons?

They protect the head, neck, shoulders, and arms. There are a lot of high-value body parts there, not to mention vulnerable joints in the armour.

>Why do black templars look so cool? Even headless they look amazing.

They *do* look cool, don't they?

Been working on my Wraithguard, not sure what colour to drybrush them with. Silver, gold, or light blue/grey?

Why are back packs considered easier to paint while off? I glue the torso to the legs and glue the backpack on. I paint the head seperate and glue the pauldrons to the arms and paint those seperate from the body.

I mean there is really no detail between the body and the backpack.

>my space marine models finally arrive in the mail
>its the first time im seeing them in person instead of pictures and videos
>hits me how fucking small they actually are in real life

Man, i just got an understanding of why so many miniatures look mediocre and how much skill is involved for those that look amazing.

You can look up pictures online of how big they are

Also marines are the chunkiest of troop models. Imagine painting kabalites

Where do I buy more beakie helmets? I really like them, and I'm a DA successor chapter so I can get away with more, but apart from the Flyers and some bits and bobs I hijack, I buy regular SM models so I don't have as much as I would like.

Ive been watching hours of tutorials with people holding them in their fingers but i guess the camera doesnt do it justice.

All that time ive been thinking, 'man those highlight lines look too thick and obvious'. But now i realise just getting them that thin and precise is hard enough.

Just not enough time to get these finished.

Love these.

Huh? Why are you drybrushing them?

these have more character than most painted models

Basicallyu because I tried drybrushing my Farseer and she turned out looking pretty good, so I figured it'd work on these guys. Am I not supposed to drybrush infantry or something? I'm pretty new to painting. Also I was considering buying some Vanta Black and painting their helms with it, would that be a good idea?

It looks like you've already line highlighted parts so it would be odd to drybrush it, and I'm not sure why you would use a colour other than blue to do it. It looks like you've washed them so I would go back in with the original blue colour and highlight all of the body panels, then do another small highlight on top.

Drybrushing can be useful but it's difficult to do when you've already painted details.

My buddy swears by it, that and the quickshade.

Working on these and want to add some celtic knots along parts of them and my infantry. Does anyone know a site that sells celtic or norse stencils for infantry and vehicles?

Their shades are good. Their metallics are bad. Their everything else is okay for the price.

Bitz stores

Curious question here. How steady a hand do you need for this kinda hobby? How much time is expected per model?

I may try out the hobby when I get more of a cash flow, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into first before I find out that I can't paint figurines for shit.

Its something that you learn how to do. If you're gonna be turned away by your first sets of miniatures looking really horrible then its probably not the hobby for you.

>they're the most expensive SM heads

Well, why not.

It wouldn't be too hard to make your own with green stuff, but at that point you have to weigh the cost to benefit.

I've painted a model with an exposed spine by hitting the meat with a nice, just barely purplish red with some pinkish highlights and a nice dark wash, then beige with white highlight for bone. Apply blood for the blood god to taste.

I picked that thing up about a year ago, and still use most of what's in it today. Nothing in it is jawdropping, but for the price it's a great deal. If I remember right I got mine for $80 but I would've payed a 100. It's definitely cheaper than buying everything seperately.

You'll be surprised how much you'll use everything in it. It's about the best starting point you can get for the hobby.

Think it's a shit photo and possibly shit minis, but oh well I finished them.

latest on left(11th miniture ever), first on right

Are the bases in the start collecting boxes just bigger for single models? I made a plaguebearer champ and it just looks like they doubled the base size compared to my other plague boys. Should I stick with them or just get normal sized bases?

Have they done a recent run of beakies? Seems like that would go over well

I usethe Blood for the Blood God! paint for blood splatters and the like; it has a good sheen.

Some models of equivalent size have larger bases. Like an Ethereal has a larger base than a regular Fire Warrior even though they're roughly the same size.

Do you have a picture of the different models on their bases?

Used Duncan's tutorial on how to do muscles.
Pretty happy with how this guy came out!

hot as usually, you're my inspiration user!

Ye I just took em for comparison here you go

Is the Champion an HQ unit?

Like my Ethereal is larger than my Fire Warrior and my Battlesuit Commander is larger than my Crisis Suits. So if it does have that extra importance it being larger than similar models isn't that weird.

That is literally the base difference between my Ethereal and Fire Warriors

Nah he's just a plaguebearer champion. I just used the packet of bases they put in there. I just checked for the Herald of Nurgle who is a HQ guy and his base was just in without the ones I pulled from this guy and they're the exact same size but the herald himself is significantly larger than the plaguebearer champ body. I think I'll dig around to see if I have any leftover smaller ones.

FW makes a 'Raven Guard Head Upgrade Set' that is just a bunch of them + some guy's face.

>forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Raven-Guard-MKVI-Heads-Upgrade-Set

Ebay

Nice steal of the raptor parts, I kitbashed all of my bikers with that kit as well.

Good on you for putting some lightning on as well.

Sup guys, found Orkhide shade paint or something
Can I slap that on orksin as a base then layer green over it?
Im stuck with the old paint so I was gonna slap Orkhide green then goblin green over it. Good or bad?

Bought one of those sets two years ago and still using them. Best quality/price ratio imo. That set contains all the basic colors you need and a bit more.

Progress

10/10 OP image

personally I'm dealing with chaos backpacks and they get in the way a bit more but I usually have arms and pauldrons to contend with as well and it's easier to keep those off than arms for me

I made my first coat of paint on one dude too watery and want to start over dettol is fine for this? Doesn't it make your model smell like dettol forever?

Nah man, dettol washes off with water.

The smell will stay in your house for a while if you don't properly vent though.

Did you check the sink trap for the missing arm?

It went through the trap. It stopped on it, but when I went for it it dropped below.

Maybe there's one below, but I really don't feel like screwing with the piping to get it.

I think there are Iron Hands upgrade packs that have hands, I might just buy that.

>53284649
Idfk how it ended up sideways

I absolutely hate when that happens.

One of the scariest moments in recent memory was reaching into the garbage disposal.

Das ist von Forgeworld. Ich wünschte ich wäre sparsam genug es selbst zu gießen .

Yeah, I wish I could have sculpted it myself.

>magnetizing rubric marines
>about 4 guys in and i realize their weapons fit decently snug in their grips without magnets, even before priming
>no way to pry out the magnets i already put in without chiseling them out
price of progress

To avoid having to buy paints for 2 different armies - which half do you want to paint (first)?

Here's a list of paints that were in the Dark Angels paint bundle.
games-workshop.com/en-US/Dark-Angels-Paint-Bundle

There are some great tutorials in the OP as well.

What colors did you have in mind for the chaos guys?

pls be bait
pls be bait
pls be bait

butiful