Horror / Creepy setting: Magdalen Islands edition

What could frighten an entire island enough so that its residents go to sleep with their light open every night? What secrets are so deeply hidden that we don't even remember anymore, yet everyone agree that... something is... different? Why don't we care?

What are we trying to forget?

>This is also a response to . You want to know what would happen?

Nothing ever happens.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QO16qNSGqAo
youtube.com/watch?v=odPlYXUhacY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

2) First and foremost, timestamp. Forgive the low quality, it was rainy and windy outside. The Magdalen Islands are often subject to harsh weather, with winds often going to over 100 km/h. This was taken on a beach near my house earlier today.

3) Just to make sure where we are. Lost in the St-Lawrence Gulf in Eastern Canada. 5 hour ferry ride to the closest land. Only accessible by ferry or plane, when the weather allows it. A long trip if you want to go anywhere, to shop, to go on vacation. To escape.

4) The Magdalen Islands are in fact an archipelago. All the islands are linked by sand dunes. A single road goes across the whole thing, sometimes surrounded by water on both side. Storms can shut an island on its own when the waves crash on the road, making it impossible for the emergency vehicles to reach a certain island. Each island then has its own village.

05) There are roughly 12.5k Madelinots. They're considered bold, strong, welcoming, friendly to strangers. These are not city folks, we're talking about brave men and women who have to live with or against nature just like the times of old. Most of them are Acadians, now French Canadian, but their roots aren't really the same. The Acadian culture and its bloody history is the most dominant. Two separated English communities also exist, both on their respective islands.

There are pretty much no other minorities here. Some came, tried to stay, then left. There is indeed a friendly attitude toward tourists, but this welcome often turns sour if strangers intend to stay longer than expected. Some say it's xenophobia, others say it's to protect the territory and its secrets. I know there is something, I just don't know what.

I don't think anyone knows.

06) Let's close the subject of the other thread. A lot of animals crash ashore. They're meant to be found by an islander, as many of us walk the beaches everyday. Finding a carcass also brings its lot of pride. Here is a beluga whale, dead for some reason. They don't often get close to the islands, this was a rare finding.

Sometimes bigger animal are found, and without strong wind, are almost buried in sand close to a beach. Or maybe is it the tides. Here is a black whale.

08) And then you have the bigger things. Rorquals are sometimes found but are dangerous even dead. First, they stink as hell. Second, they bring predator trying to eat the carcass. Third, poke them enough, they will explode. I'm sure you watched that .gif? Yeah, you watched it. It wasn't an exaggeration. These are dangerous.

09) I know because, as a kid, we used to jump on those like trampolines. Until one of us hit the wrong part and the bowels just went out. Exploded. I don't know what was the most horrific: the smell, the intestines, or the puke all around. Needless to say none of us were allowed to play near dead whales anymore. Nowadays, actually, neither are adults. We're bound to call the government so they can pick up the carcasses for study. All in all, I'm trying to prove that we know the differences between ''normal'' water animals and unusual, weird stuff found ashore.

10) To help on that knowledge, for such a small place, we have a very nice museum that traces the history of our homes. They also have a lot of encyclopedic knowledge about marine life and have according expositions.

11) For instance, there are real sperm whale skeletons, among other things.

12) The museum also trace back most of the ship wrecks that happened on the island. Most are a tragedy on their own, bringing their lot of deaths and sorrow. I'm too lazy to count how many shipwrecks happened but this map will give you a better idea. Yes, that's a lot. Like, A LOT for such a small place. Hundreds of stories are told about ghost ships in the fogs, horns breaking the silence in the middle of the nights, drowned men found walking again... but we don't talk about those. New shipwrecks are written down, grieved for a week, then we move on.

It's bad to stay too long in the past, they say. But what are they afraid of? Is there a link between some of those?

13) We also have smaller museum, smaller expositions. This one is located on a beach, where a lot of carcasses are actually found. There's one inside I wanted to take a picture of but the door was locked. No one answered when I knocked, maybe is it just open in the summer?

14) To take everyone in and out of the islands, these are the main ferries we use. They also bring most of our food outside of fishes as the islands are rather arid and, to be honest, there is way too much wind to grow anything. When summer comes, they're full of tourists. They're also useful for students that have to go to college, which is obviously anywhere but on the islands.

15) There's a view from the ferry in winter. It becomes a bit more difficult to cross the water, so it doesn't leave everyday, just 3 times a week to bring our supplies. Winter life is nothing like the vivacity of the summer. We're completely isolated. A bit more coming soon.

16) When winter comes, the whole islands are surrounded by ice. Sometimes the ferry need a proper icebreaker just to get us food. It's awesome when you want solitude. To just... walk away from everything, to the horizon, on ice. Endless ice. It is not recommended tho, as many got lost and were never found. While the ice may seem safe, it can break at any time and just eat you. Nature is scary on its own. So calm. So eerie.

And, for real, sometimes you hear the lost ones when you're just walking on the beach. Of course it's just the wind, but it can really feel like whispers and sometimes your imagination think of words and mimic voices of the people you lost. When you think about it, it can feel like the ice wants to lure you away from safety.

I know it's all in the head, but when it happens to you, it's still creepy as fuck. Especially since some still die because of that and most are never found. Being an ex-Canadian Ranger, I had my share of search and rescue missions for this kind of case.

Most importantly winters are calm here. Everything is in slow motion. That's maybe why not many foreigners can live here. The summer turmoil bring its lot of festivities and the drawback of a dead winter is often too much when you're used to so many things in a city.

Everything is closed. Everything is dead. Barely anyone work until spring. It's silent. Very inspirational to create games or other artistic endeavors, but if you ever feel the need to do something, you're better off elsewhere.

That's until the sun sets and the storms start to rage. We have a special school calendar that is forced to include many days of snowstorm.

After all, we're a Canadian island. It snows here too. The wind often sweeps the snow away and throw it in the Gulf, but when the ice patches coming from the Great Lakes go down and surround the island, when the wind starts to mess with all that accumulated snow, things get nasty.

Don't even think of getting out. You won't see 10 feet ahead of you. Don't get out.

If you're not blown away by the wind, the snow will kill you. Stay inside, play games instead. Have a hot chocolate and spend time on Veeky Forums.

Just don't look outside too often. They say some things walk in that kind of weather. I once tried to chase what I thought to be something but I couldn't see anything so I went back inside. Way too dangerous.

19) youtube.com/watch?v=QO16qNSGqAo

An aftermath of a snowstorm.

20) Or an other one.

youtube.com/watch?v=odPlYXUhacY

What _is_ this thread?

21) Then at this time of the year, in May, most of the snow is gone. It's however still way too cold to go swim.

Instead, some of us just take long walk on the beaches. Some like the solitude, others like the excitement of finding something. Sure, we talked about animal carcasses earlier, but you can find quite a lot of things around here.

The most creepy stuff I ever heard of was a human leg. A real human leg, preserved by the cold, laying down on the beach. Well, believe me or not, someone picked it up, brought it home and kept it in a freezer. Why would that guy do that, I don't know, but I know he did.

Worst is, that guy tried to run for mayor a few years ago. Just a very weird specimen I assume. He's also a local activist and do some community work, I just don't think many know about that side of him, even's if he's a weirdo.

I won't post pictures because I wouldn't want him to be recognized but that story, just like everything else I'm trying to write, is true to the best of my knowledge.

Glory, little pugbro. Revel in it.

Veeky Forums is out /x/ing /x/.

There was some interest about creepy, real events to occur on a shore line. I live on one and thought I would share some. I assume one could get some inspiration or help me find answers to the mysteries of here, if they heard about something similar. Welcome to the thread.

22) Of course the beauty of the beaches is the main touristic attraction. We get thousands of visitors every year. In the day, sand castles can be built and swim competitions can happen. Just be careful to not be taken away by the wind.

In the night, however... beaches serve an other purpose. Massive stocks of drugs are thrown by helicopter and pushed on the shore by the wave. Then, the drugs are picked up by local criminals and sold around.

Yeah, behind that pretty touristic face lies a real issue: cocaine. We're actually called the White Islands in the underground slang. The amount of cocaine per capita is huge.

I should be asleep, not sqirming in my seat reading about local horror.

F5 like mad

23) Most of the cocaine is brought by the Hells Angels. The criminal network is very sophisticated: since we're on islands and only a single road make links in-between, they just have to pay scouts to call when they see a cop car passing by.

Criminality reigns supreme. We don't talk much about it as when you're not involved, it has no impact on your life, but the criminal activities are flourishing.

Funny note, they are no naked dancers on the islands. There used to be but the fishermen' wives took arms and burnt the place down because they were angry at their husbands lol.

I mean, you live on an island, if you car is just CLOSE to the place everyone will know where you're going... secrets can't be kept away from the collective. There are just collective, forgotten secrets, if that makes sense.

Oh, also. No thieves, no official murders. Reason is, if something happen, you just have to call the ferry to not get out and the place to stay down. Criminals are stuck on the islands until they're found. It would be stupid to do anything like that haha.

However, incest is a real thing. Every family has its dark secret about who raped who. Rapes are rare, incest is not. It's disgusting but it's truth. A plague, a creator of traumatized children and heavy back stories.

The best is coming. I believe I have just over 40 things.

Oh my sorry for the terrible English on that one. I need to focus more.

24) A bit relative to that, we have quite a lot of guns for such a small population. Many have huge collections, despite just using some to hunt ducks; there are no deer around.

Canadian laws about firearms are rather strict but I've seen some guys hiding guns from the government for reasons they couldn't explain. When I asked, they just said... ''We were told to do that and feel like it could be useful one day.''

You know what? I share their feelings. But why? Why is there to fear? No idea. I mean even a zombie apocalypse would have barely any effect on us... stop the ferry, stop the airplane, nothing comes in.

Here's a way to hide your collection. Use dynamite, blow the underground of a cape, hide your guns there. I visited such a thing once. I was amazed by the ingenuity and scared that someone would think of it.

But more importantly, why is this necessary? Why do I feel this to be necessary too, even if I don't have a firearm?

25) Here comes one of my favorite thing about where I live, and one of the creepiest thing ever: the Mi-Careme.

Mi-Careme means ''Mid-Lent''. Long story short, back when religion was super high (more on that later), people used to fast for forty days, something known as Lent. Well, Acadians thought 40 days was too long and created a holiday to break that Lent and do everything they wanted for a few days, then come back to normal.

Of course the Catholic church would disagree with that, so these guys started to disguise themselves to not be recognized and chased down by the clergy. They went from house to house to eat and drink and party, fleeing from the priests and clerics.

We still run the Mi-Careme today. There are only a few places left with that tradition, it's something like Mummers in Newfound Land if you want.

26) Mi-Careme starts at 8 pm and goes on until 5-6 am for three days. We laugh, we dance, we drink... all to break the winter in two. It happens in March.

But Mi-Careme isn't only about fun, some costumes can be very creepy. While the goal is to discover who hides behind the mask, some people refuse to be recognized and just choose to leave a house: after all, you can't give anything to someone masked.

Then who are these people? Why do they wear a costume if not to participate in the tradition? What do they want, what to they get from being invited at some place?

I still have nightmares of some disguised figures walking around town, screaming to scare people. These people weren't looking for fun, they were looking for horror. They were anomalies, yes, but scary as fuck anomalies.

We have a museum about Mi-Careme. I work there. I work there because I'm scared of mask and find that tradition super creepy and it stimulates me.

Could it be why I sometimes see our mannequins moving in the exposition? The lifeless, plastic bodies presenting our costumes something feel so real. It's like... it's like the energy, the general feel, the frenesy of Mi-Careme could reach them and give them life.

Mi-Careme is fun but at the same time... I don't know. Back in the early days they were using sticks to fight anyone trying to remove pieces of their costumes. I don't know how to feel.

Every day I work at the museum I seek answers but so far I've just had more questions. Hell, I could have written a thread about Mi-Careme only. It's not only about drunk guys using their mask to rob a convenience store (and then getting caught, obviously, see earlier), I swear there's something supernatural about this.

I'm freaked out just typing about it. You have to live it I guess. I'll answer questions regarding that if there are any, but now I'll move on to an other subject.

28) Talking about religion, this is the local chuch of Fatima. The shape is weird, it's supposed to be a wave when you look at it from a certain angle. Inside, the roof is supposed to represent the interior of a clam shell (!) and there are quite a lot of fishing decorations.

It is at the same time a functional church and a monument to fishermen.

Tourism thread. I don't know, I kind of like it. How do I get to the Magdalen Islands, OP? Is there an airstrip or do I have to take a boat. Will people speak English there or French?

t. American Southerner. Never seen more than 2 inches of snow

29) This is the most beautiful church I've ever seen, even if I'm not religious myself. However, the locals are very religious. I believe, elsewhere in Canada, it's about 2% of the population that are. Around here, it's closer to 40%.

Many things can explain the huge gap. A closer life with nature. An older population. The isolation, forcing existential questions. The fear of deaths much more present than in a city.

But we must add to that list that supernatural factor. The air itself is different. On the islands.... it feels like it breaths magic.

Science has shown that, since we live surrounded by salty waters, the ambient air is charged in micro particles of salt (inb4 League of Legends jokes). While it's not deadly per say, it greatly increases the chance of lung deceases and cancer. It's also nefarious for the rush on car and prevent most of the trees to grow. There are no leafy trees, the wind and the salt is too much.

It also creates a dependence when you leave the islands. I've studied in a city for a while and got home sick real quick, the withdrawal from salty air is real.

Can salt have effect on the brain so it feels like magic? I don't know. I wish some of you could come and feel how it's like, here. Like there is a presence everywhere at the same time. I don't know... it's just... too much. Too attractive.

The main reason why I came back and bought a house there instead of living in a city actually. Losing a career just to find back this... feel.... of something.

It's not rational. My apologies. Just come and feel it for yourself.

This thread is amazing.

There is a plane. You most likely could go to Montreal at first then grab a plane to the islands. Or, if you want to have a road trip, go to Souris, PEI, and take the ferry here. It's a long road but well worth it. Be careful however, it's super expensive to come here. Despite the distance it is much cheaper to go from Montreal - Paris than to go from Montreal - Magdalen Islands.

Why are they monitoring the prices this way? You tell me.

My first job ever was as a tour guide for that church. I have beautiful memories of the place and many nightmares about some encounters. When you spend so much time in a church, creepy things start to happen.

I'll tell you about one. I've met my first Catholic exorcist there. I was so freaked out, the dude was... I don't know, it felt like an NPC in a video game. It was surreal. As a tour guide I went to him and he spoke to me with words I'll never forget.

''You know why I'm here. She killed again. We must respect the Mother who watches over the fishermen.''

I was having trouble in my life back then, I thought I was seeing things. I don't think I'm a firm believer of the paranormal, I mean I'm trying to be scientific in everything, but I've seen things that summer that I can't explain still.

Well, after that encounter, he gave me his number and told me to call him when I would witness Her acting again. It made no sense to me but I was traumatized.

I tried to call at that number many years later, it was shut down. I don't remember his name but I think I still have that paper somewhere... it was over 10 years ago, I was 15.

I think this meeting lead to something of the darkest, creepiest thing that happened to me.

31) On a side note... while religious, sometimes, unexplained fire happens. In 2014, a church on the Grande-Entree island was taken down by the flames. It was later to be rebuilt (churches rebuilt? nowhere else!)

It's not that mysterious since it was a 100 years old wood church. But, the St-Pierre church discussed earlier, also has an history of fire. Back in 1890 when it was built with shipwreck wood, the church fell three times on its own. It wasn't until a priest blessed every single wood board that it could finally stand up.

But then, three times again in its history, lighting struck the high peak and caused a fire. Once, an event was happening inside. The believers thought the great ball of fire cause by the lighting was actually the Holy Spirit descending upon them.

It was the last time a fire occurred there, but the legend still goes on.

Again that church itself could be thread worthy. I'll stop there. It's also the second biggest wood church in North America. It's massive and beautiful and full of feels.

Of course we have cemetery. This is a picture of where my mom is buried. She died when I was 4, which led to existential question at a young age, along most of my family: uncles, aunts, friends, cousins, grandparents... which led to an interest in unexplained things, creepy things, Veeky Forums, etc... you can imagine my background without issue. I spent way too much time early in my life at funerals.

That being said, the cemetery itself is scary. The woods behind it are scary. There are sound. It's like it wants to be a sanctuary on its own in such a small place.

Again I don't believe in ghost and the like, but I must admit I feel good when I go visit my mother. When the typical wind of the Magdalen Islands blows on my face, sometimes when I put my back or my hand on her tomb, it feels like a soft caress.

It's a place of magic and energy. That could however be just me, I haven't heard stories about that cemetery in particular, I guess it's just my own attachment to it that makes me feel that way.

33) That being said, there is an other cemetery on the island that IS renown for being something else. I don't have pictures of it because it's too dark to go there at the moment. I only once went by night, I wasn't alone, and got super scared anyway.

Back when the islanders had more diverse faith, an Anglican church was built on the Central island. It's not a church anymore but the building is still used for gatherings, such as AAs, yoga practitioners or even some Wicca people.

While the church itself is scary by it's isolation in the woods, it's the cemetery there that scare the most people.

It is full of children grave.

It's like... something happened to those kids. I couldn't find out on my own. But from years that I don't remember there are series of tomb without a single dead going past 10 years old. That's like 10-15 tombs. For such a small population it's MASSIVE!

What killed these children? No one knows. I don't know if they have family. I'll have to go look back tomorrow by the day.

The church is isolated deep in the woods but there are still neighbors that are disturbed by cars on the road there. Last time I went by night we got caught. I don't want that to happen again.

34) Talking about the night... here is the initial question: why do we still keep our lights on?

It's a tradition that goes way back. The picture if of 1978 but we're talking about pre-1900. I was told by an elder that fishermen used to get out by night and move only as a whole to reach their boat. No one would go alone. Boats then all sailed away together to go fish and came back by sunlight as it went.

He sounded curious and afraid. I'm sure he was tormented by the same question: what were they afraid of?

I mean even today in this day and age with computers and everything we still all keep our lights on to guide the fishermen. It makes no practical sense. There was a reason.

We may continue today to do so by tradition but back then there must have been something... were they afraid of monsters? Were they real? Why would such brave men be so scared when left alone in the night?

What happened? What caused such a traumatize that even today the elders don't or refuse to remember?

I mean, sure the fog is scary and can be dangerous, but it's not enough to terrorize grown up fishermen, right?

36) I almost forgot. This is Entry Island. It's an island with approx. 50 residents now. It's one of the two anglophone communities. That island isn't linked to any other, they have to move by boat. It's super small compared to the archipelago, yet it has the Big Hill, the highest hill of the Magdalen Islands.

I'm sure there are many stories about the Entry Island on its own but I never lived there so I don't know much, else than its residents are (as I was told) dangerous and drunks of Irish descent.

You can also see a cruise ship as we get visitors early September. Cruise ships are rare, that's why you see so many smaller ships around. They're curious and try to get close to it for pictures.

There are many legends about the islands. I didn't want to share too many as I wanted to give a more personal feel and real things, while legends are just legends.

Yet here is one that scared me out when I was a kid and still can't stop think about. It's called the Man in White.

There's a road we call the Church road. Basically it cuts the Central island in half, crossing through the woods and hills. There is no asphalt, just trees, solitude and dust.

Well, back when my parents were teenagers, a guy wearing only white clothes was allegedly walking that road by night. Many police reports were written, talking about this guy jumping in front of cars to scare the driver or worse. Your typical maniac.

Of course it was terrifying but not really dangerous. Until a young girl living nearby disappeared. For days and nights they searched for her until she came back to her house, her dress torn, crying about the Man in White and how he ''showed her an other world''. Of course none of it made sense but at least she was safe.

A few days later the Man in White was seen again. Policemen somehow could never catch him, but somehow, they heard about a suspect and arrested a guy.

So they asked about his doing and the little girl. He refused to answer and committed suicide in his cell.

It wouldn't be creepy if the same events didn't occur back in the mid 2000s. After decades the Man in White was back at the Church road, despite allegedly being dead for years.

I don't think it made the stories then, but I heard about it by secretly hearing a conversation with my mother-in-law who is the most down to earth person I know. She believes nothing of paranormal and don't care about creepy stuff but she was legit scared. It happened to a patient of her, by a Mi-Careme night. Or so I heard. Since then I've been looking for the guy, never seen a Man in White or his new world.

38) This is where I went to school. I was a troubled child so I believe most of the darkness the building inspires me come from me and not the building itself.

Yet I still shiver when I get close to the place. So big, so empty.

This is fascinating, and apparently, a great deal of it is TRUE.

This is close to the Church road. That hill is where we separated men from boys back when I was younger. We had snowriders and used to fight King of the Hill style to show dominance.

But also, we always avoid the hidden side of this picture. The cemetery is just down there and when it gets dark, it feels like the woods are animated.

We fought by day, we scared each other by night. We dared each other to go deep in these woods. None of us did. We all felt a presence yet no one could ever point a finger.

I'm sure if a Slenderman exists somewhere it's there. Kids playing on a hill, he lures them away... I mean, it happened before. Back in my father days they ''forgot'' a child tied on a tree when they were playing. It was just for fun and the kid was captured, so it was a game. But that kid spent the whole night alone tied on a tree.

He ended up in a mental institution. My father still feels so bad about it and refuse to tell me more about this story.

But I mean... it's just an other thing among so many. It's like too many things are happening for none of it to be real. I don't know. I'm lost.

Not that hard these days. What with all the "Hows I sumun a suc-u-bess?", "What are the REAL conspiracies?" and "How dos I use REAL magick?"

I have work tomorrow so I have to go to bed, but I eagerly await the continuation of this thread, and I will certainly check tomorrow! Please post more!

I require more

40) Almost done. I tried to explain why there is a certain feel about the Magdalen Islands. So many mysteries left untouched remain.

I do that because I believe the truth is out there and I can't go further until I have the answers I seek. That being said, some ask less questions yet can do more. Being on islands, it's sometimes hard to find a love mate or have a family.

That's why so many blood lines are entwined. I don't personally know any incestuous relations but I know some families have been marrying each other for many years.

Why is that?

Some say there magic circles among the population. They say greater magical powers can be achieved by blood unions. And so they marry from a family of witches to an other.

Mostly girls, just like the old tales, but some boys are allegedly gifted too.

I don't know if this is true, but if were mages were real here, I would only have one question for them.

>Are you working with or against the mysteries of the islands?

That picture also has no Photoshop in it. We see sunsets like that on a daily basis in certain times of the year. They say that's when the mages do their things, by sunset, and that they draw powers from ''the moment''.

It's true that you can feel an energy when you see such a landscape. But could it just be your mind going mad because you're seeing the most beautiful thing in the world?

10/10 thread, OP. Going to bed, but refreshing this page first thing in the morning.

And finally my last picture. It's a tiny island we call the ''Corps Mort'', or Dead Body, because it looks like a man lying in a casket.

This picture grasps the eerie of the islands that I like so much. The isolation by winter, the calm, falling snowflakes, the sunset... it's the moment, the bliss I'm trying to achieve while playing games, in real life. For some reason I can't reach that bliss that often but I still do, from times to times. Happiness is a weird thing.

I'm still left with so many questions and so few answers about what I consider to be mysteries: the blood lines, if there are real monsters, if there WERE real monsters that scared the fishermen, if there is indeed a religious truth behind our beliefs...

I don't know. I wish I did. I just hope some pictures could either inspire you for games, or maybe dig deeper and help me unveil the truths about the Magdalen Islands.

Maybe, after all, are all the unanswered questions the real magic?

This is so great OP, my grandma used to go to Magdalen island every summer when I was younger but I never accompanied her. She felt a strong attachment to this place and had good things to say about the people of that region.

Next vacations, I think I'll go there

The mist rolled in and they followed it out. What came back was something else. The gulls know, and would have warned us if only we knew how to listen. Draug-draug-draug.

interesting and moody stuff, but you really didn't get into any of the actual mysteries besides that Man In White story and one or two other minor things, you mostly just side-stepped around actually talking about any of it, feeling a bit blue-balled in that regard

>Then who are these people? Why do they wear a costume if not to participate in the tradition? What do they want, what to they get from being invited at some place?
I WEAR NO MASK

Excellent thread OP. Gave me chills. I hate the thought of living in such a desolate, isolatedp lace.

is true though. You made this thread saying 'no one does shit about weird stuff washed up on the beach' then didn't actually talk about any supernatural stuff washing up, only dead whales, and didn't really elaborate on anything much 'solid' besides the Man in White.

Yeah, this is lacking, mostly because I believed other means such as books or Internet articles would give a better impression of these legends.

I also don't have any proof for many of those ans evidences are often washed away, sometimes figuratively, sometimes not.

I mean we've all heard things. I just didn't think it would be credible to talk about everything I heard when I can't prove my claims.

Guy from the last thread who called OP a tard for being spooked by a dead whale

This thread is long on words and short on creepy

Shut the fuck up, it's better than 99% of the Veeky Forums shut nowadays, OP is a great poster and storyteller.We should have more threads like this, rather than "martial vs caster DAE?" bullshit.

>hurr durr you either have to like something and never insult it, or hate it 100% there is no inbetween

>What I can glean from this thread:
OP is an inbred tard
OP lives in a shithole island (that's actually a peninsula)
OP thinks this island is interesting
OP's mother died when OP was 4. This is legit sad.
OP is scared by dead whales (despite playing on them as a kid)
OP should go to /x/

Oh, I forgot the cocaine.
Still shit tho

>peninsula)

Think what you want of me, if you don't know what the fuck is the difference between a peninsula and an archipelago, get the fuck out of here lol.

Sorry, I saw "is akshually a" and misread.

Seeing as, you know, an archipelago is just an extensive group of islands

"Peninsula" literally means "almost island;" it's a land mass that would be an island if it weren't connected by land to the mainland on one side. I tried to upload a pic as an example but I kept getting "upload failed."

Just take this map See where Chandler is? See where Percé is? That's a the Gaspé Peninsula. Look at where the Magdalen ISLANDS are.

It's nothing like a peninsula. You can think of it as a miniature, more isolated Japan if anything.

Can't believe we're arguing that to be honest.

Don't listen to the haters OP lots of subtle horror itt, good job

Veeky Forums: you don't even need the other boards anymore

>Veeky Forums: you don't even need the other boards anymore

It's kinda sad how true this is. I feel like while the other boards get shittier and shittier, Veeky Forums is still worth visiting. That, and a few of the generals on Veeky Forums.

OP had to choose between vaguely hinting at things and going ahead with details and narrative. Since he wasn't trying to write a story, going with the former was enough I think. It's better to that and stop at that than try and put in a narrative that ends up being absolutely retarded if you don't have the talent. Years ago there was a thread on /x/ that started as a faux-reality story about... I think it was about a man named Strahe, or Strahd or something. Something about that guy whom the poster knew being stranded in a cabin and some entity stalking him. It started off rather strong and was plausible, but the poster didn't know where to stop and turned it into something ridiculous.

It's of course fine to ask for more, but the assessment that there's not enough stuff is very unfair. I can probably fish a dozen ideas from this thread that I can use in one single or a number of separate Cthulhu or Delta Green scenarios.

In short, good job OP. To develop these further sometime if you have the inspiration and the skills.

Did I just stumble into an M-EPIC thread?

The area around the Canadian maritimes is just jam-packed full of crazy /x/ shit, it seems. I didn't know about the Magdalen islands, but there's plenty of other stuff I know about.

Like the haunted potato patch in Newfoundland, and the Shag Harbour UFO incident.

>the haunted potato patch in Newfoundland
Go on...

I'm trying to track down the story, it's a really old one I remember hearing about years ago.

Basically it was about some haunted potato patch, obviously. The house long burned down, but the legend went that if you stood in the patch on certain nights, watching the sun set, a kind of hag would appear behind you, with all the usual 'spooky' attributes, such as being filthy with dirty, and having long greasy hair over its face.

Fuck I wish I could find that.

Fantastic thread, OP, incredibly atmospheric. Makes me really want to live out there somewhere, and not just because of the cold.

Your talk about the magical air and how fantastic it is sounds like a bait to trap us on your mysterious Islande
You arent some eldtrich creature looking for fresh human meat right?

Otherwise, it s an awesome threads and it reminds me of the 3/4 cozy horror winter threads, I was looking for a context/a setting to run something like this and it s seems that an isolated archipel is perfect, though I would l'île to see it myself

Well, I suppose if it were in the freezer, it would be safe from animals and wouldn't rot and he could give it to the authorities from Not On The Island to try to identify who it came from or something.

As someone who lived in a shore town most of their life (without creepy shit)...no, the salty air really is something special and not just your place and holy fuck I miss it

Why would an eldritch creature try to lure someone to some rinkidink islands in this day and age when we can just go out for Chinese?

I went back to the church by daylight to capture the children graves. They knew I was coming. I'm legit scared at the moment.

There was no one when I first arrived, no other cars in the parking lot. I didn't get close to the church itself, the plan was to take pictures and go out in less than 15 minutes, before any neighbors could alert anyone. I didn't expect them to be so quick.

First of all the lights flickered inside the building. I presume someone was, for some reason, already in there before I arrived. Then two cars came, I hurried up and left.

I didn't hear or notice these cars arrive. There we no one in them, so that means they entered the church less than 100 feet away without me noticing. I can't believe my eyes. I didn't HEAR the cars, nor SEE them, nor the drivers, and I didn't hear or see them by the church either!? What the fuck?

Everything happened in less than 5 minutes. I have no idea how. I almost expect someone to knock on my door now.

They didn't follow me at first. When I left the church parking lot, I saw a face in the window but it was to be expected, whoever was in there to call for help surely had to keep an eye on me. I looked in my mirror when going out, everything was safe.

In an adrenaline rush, I thought about other creepy places, somewhere called Lake Quinn in the Buck Park. It's super isolated and, while a ''somewhat'' popular park to go walk to, there are maybe, what, 10 persons every day that walk there? Over the course of 24 hours?

So you tell me how and why the fuck that black car from the church came by. He didn't follow me, I checked all the way over. Somehow they knew.

I didn't dare to take a closer picture, I was legit scared at that point. I tried to be subtle. I was also hearing other voices from the parking lot, someone was coming, not from that black car tho. When I entered the parking lot to reach my own car, the black car was parked beside a Jeep, just like that, its back towards me. I didn't move close and quickly entered my own car without even looking at them. What the fuck.

I expect this adventure to be done for the night (I actually don't *expect* someone to come knock on my door...I'm just thinking about it).

I'll post the pictures I took.

Our first infant.If at any time you see a pattern, please tell me. I want to know what happened to these kids. What shadow was lurking above them?

The second one.

Some were teenagers.

Aged 13 days. So sad. Rest in Peace.

Legit respect for the dead. By no means do I mean harm to them or their families.

A more recent death.

There were about... maximum 50 gravestones, yet, so many children...

What hopes? Is this a generic message, or is there something more cryptic to it?

This gravestone was fallen. Somehow this encryption scares the fuck out of me.

OP, I found your problem.
You live in Québec, that's like Florida weird and Texas weird combined.

How does one fall asleep forever at 17? I mean and I'm going too deep or is it legit unusual?

To be honest we have more in common with all the Maritimes than with Quebec. We're much, much closer to New-Bruinswick people than to any Quebecer.

Quebec is only for the administration and taxes really. Beside, I don't think I have a problem.

The last of the children I could find before I quickly left as I was afraid more people were coming and could come question me.

Two dead kids in the same year, year apart, both with headstones saying they were erected by a Mrs JJ Burke.
Another with the same name died four years prior. Another five years later and yet another
Wait fuck they're almost all Pattons
So many Patton children

Once I left the cemetery, as written above, I went for the Buck Park. That's an other legit creepy park where only ten years ago, a guy my age found a hang man in the middle of the park. It was classified as a suicide, peace to the family.

I still wonder why someone would go and suicide in a place allegedly haunted already by spirits. I'm unsure if it's open to public at night as someone could without a doubt for the entrance anyway.

I wanted to take a picture of the lake and run back before sunset. I don't want to get trapped in the woods alone at night, especially with no flashlight.

The lake. It's populated by a lot of insects and some frogs. When I was a child, I was told some crone could summon a spirit in the middle of the lake and that it accepted offerings for wishes.

I don't know what happened to that. It's still... I don't know, I'll say eerie again. If there ever was a spirit in the lake I'm such it wasn't good.

I wonder where this passage leaves to. I'll have to go there someday.

Wait, what? Why the agitation?

Believe in the supernatural or not, when you live close to nature, you know you have to leave asap when birds do so. Whatever it is, just go.

So I went. Whatever caused these birds to flee I wasn't staying to know, not with the sunset so close.