MtG $$$$$$ COMPETITIVE $$$$$$ MODERN GENERAL

Magic: The Gathering Modern General (Competitive Discussion)

This thread is for the competitive discussion of the modern format. Kitchen table discussion is not welcome, but they don't read OPs anyway. For reference the average deck will run you anywhere from $400-$2000.

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Metagame thoughts?
>Bans/Unbans?

Decklists:
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO

Primers:
>mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Weekly Modern Metagame:
>mainphasemtg.net/modern-tier-list/2017/5/15/modern-tiered-list-weekly-update-and-analysis-for-51517

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/4c-spellweaver-worldfire/
docs.google.com/document/d/1Ui8rKLU5o-bwByc8OjUVmkVpcU5y9x9rKvHElF3H-Fs/edit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fuck you, fuck your thread, fuck this format.

kitchen table babby, you can tell by the retarded gif

>Playing
Burn mostly, occasionally Titanshift
>Brewing
I want to make B/W tokens ill try constructing the deck soon
>Metagame thoughts
Its great Moderns very diverse right now. Theres a lot of solid combo decks to play, UW Control is finally getting its time to shine, and the usual suspects sans classic Jund are all putting up the results they usually do. Burn is solid too right now. A lot of people said it would see a downswing because DSJ was strangely a bad matchup but I find that its fine if you play the deck well. DSJ is also a difficult deck to pilot so part of it may just be misplays from them that benefit me.
>Bans/Unbans
No bans, no unbans

Unban

How's 8whack? pretty new and wanted to get into modern, should I give it a try?

>DSJ is also a difficult deck to pilot
Well memed friend

time to shit up the thread I guess
It already works in practice but it's pretty fragile and there are more ways to try and build it but this is what I know works for me and has alright matchups

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/4c-spellweaver-worldfire/

There are builds that focus on dredging, some storm, and I've seen gifts and non gifts variants, but I like how loam plays with retrace and gifts

No Ban-List Modern is a good format.

This

No-Ban list modern is some of the most fun I've had with magic. It's interactive and there's a decent amount of diversity as well as checks and balances between decks

Not nearly as combo oriented as some people would have you believe

HATE it when someone says "it would be solved and degenerate into X number of decks" when verifying such a claim is impossible without months or years of the entire Modern base actually trying it, and then you ask if they've ever tried it and NOPE, OF COURSE NOT.

So you need years of play to determine if it's unbalanced, but you're small sample size is enough to certify it as a healthy, interactive format?
Please refrain from posting.

There's already been No banned list tournaments and based on what we've seen there the meta is fairly healthy actually. It's fast and there's some degeneracy but it's healthy.

Doesn't change the fact that it's still fairly unexplored right now and could potentially be broken if more peopel payed attention to it.

>no-ban list modern is a fun format
Ftfy

Why is everyone obsessed with the 30 some cards they cant use? Arent the huge amount of powerful cards you can use enough? Like seriously no one wants to play against Jitte in a creature based format, no one wants to play against Ponder powered combo decks in a format with no Force of Will, and no one wants Affinity buffed to fucking hell with Artifact lands.

This is tryhard general, banned cards will always be lusted after. Also didn't you read? They're obviously unfairly banned and the meta wouldn't be that unfair.

Well when the cards you ban are the ones that stop the format from being linear aggro the format yeah people want to play them.

It's almost like wizards is shit at supporting anything other than linear aggro.

No one really wants to play with all of the cards but a good portion of the people here feel some cards were either unjustly banned or banned for stupid reasons. i mean it's not like WotC hasn't made retarded ban choices before
(SotM, Bitterblossom, AV, Nacatl etc). It's not like people want Dark depths or Artifact lands unbanned christ

What on the ban list other then Jitte and Punishing Fire fight linear aggro?

Mental Misstep and Stoneforge Mystic (besides Jitte aggro would have to plan specifically for Batterskull)

Combos that are faster than them ?
I don't know, but I think burn might have dificulties to win against shoal infect

This. Slamming dudes and turning them sideways is not viable unless your opponent's life is already 10.

Like, if you're playing Zoo, what do you do against turn two Hypergenesis? Pick up your cards and play regular modern is what.

Do people find these funny?

Yes

>TFW you still need three more Arid Mesa
>And there is a good chance your deck will be crap anyways

If it's using arid mesas, there is a good chance it isn't very good unless it's burn

It's kind a Naya Zoo/Burn thing.

Save the money for Goyfs, the only good Zoo deck is RG all-in Burning Tree.

Sounds fun. Play that if you want

yeah, an Emmy deck with hypergenesis in a format with no FOW....what could go even wrong?

All in Burning Tree?

It's fun, but I wish it got more play. Ny playgroup only occasionally plays modern.

Pros have tried it, it is a 2-3 deck format like vintage. Delver, Storm, and skullclamp affinity.

I'm pulling up the tournaments right now but in short you're wrong. Delver, Storm and Affinity are certainly good but there are a lot more decks than just that.

knuckledragger you forgot counter-top and 12-post

So I managed to find the decklists but the articles discussing the event seem to be gone from the website. Not sure if that's due to a website change but I'm a little pissed since they were pretty informative about the format. If anyone knows where the Mox boarding house articles went I'd be appreciative if you could point me in the right direction.

Decklists

docs.google.com/document/d/1Ui8rKLU5o-bwByc8OjUVmkVpcU5y9x9rKvHElF3H-Fs/edit

Just got started with Revolt Zoo. The one with narnam renegade, wild nacatl, goblin guide, and burning/bushwhacker combo. I am starting to goldfish to get a feel of the deck, and I have a quesiton:

If I have a hand with say, a wild Nacatl, goblin guide, three burn spells and two land, what creature should I play first? I am thinking Nacatl, that way I can attack for 5 on turn two with removal backing up the attack, but part of me thinks you always play goblin guide turn one. Which play is usually correct?

I quite like this image friend, do you mind if I save it?

I do

nacatl first

If I'm playing a Death ans Taxes deck, and have both Thalia and Arbiter in my hand, which do I play first? Or does that depend on the matchup/cards currently in play?

depends on whether or not you want to stumble your opponents fetches or not, since this is modern i would generally say arbiter

Hypergenesis seems like a wildly inconsistent deck

On the play, you play arbiter, they'll be on 1 land, so they'll be totally fucked by that hopefully

On the draw, could go either way, usually I'd say Thalia, but if you know their deck and you know they have like a really important 3 drop creature or something, I could see trying to shut them down with arbiter

No banlist modern would be perfect except that mental misstep is so lame

Mental misstep is lame but it's not backbreaking in the NBL format. Some decks don't even run it and a portion of the ones that do don't run the full playset.

I think no ban list sans misstep and clamp would be wonderful. Those cards reeeaaaally warp the game around them.

This is from someone who plays clamp elves at each local NBL event.

I don't get why people don't play 8-rack/smallpox, it does too well at punishing the degenerate decks.

Relies on a lot of one drops in a misstep format, Affinity/Dredge and D&Tpunishes better while having game against more decks. You're also comparatively low power level compared to the rest of the format.

Also the fact that you don't really gain anything from the no banned list aspect as opposed to all the other decks.

From my experience, the most important thing is learning how to mulligan properly. That's about it.

DnT only gains a stoneforge package, and it's one of the most powerful decks in MNBL.

It gains the SfM package but the decks I've seen run chalice maindeck as well as chrome mox so gives it a lot of game.

>one of the most powerful decks
8rack really isn't great in NBLM but I'd like to hear why you think it's good in the format

Should be "Affinity/dredge, D&T punishes better

I'm trying to decide what deck to play at GP Las Vegas. I've narrowed it down to RG Titanshift and Gifts Storm. I've played neither in paper and have only been able to test on Xmage (I know). I day 2'd GP Los Angeles with RUG scapeshift so I feel more comfortable with titan but Storm is so much fun. What do you guys feel would be a better choice for the event?

Well for starters, storm sucks, so probably not that.

Go with Titanshift, Storm is more difficult to play and since its higher in its metashare right now people will be packing some SB hate some of which is unbeatable if it resolves like Rule of Law or Eidolon of Rhetoric. Also Burn is a real threat because of Eidolon of the Great Revel.

Storm is tier 1 you retard

>probe gets banned
>storm guy at my LGS just gets btfo'd constantly by mindbreak trap ever since
it honestly probably doesn't happen that often but I feel like every time I'm there I hear him from like three tables getting his shit slapped by it

>come back to modern after a few month hiatus bc format felt stale
>storm tier 1
>dredge still around
>ad nauseam is a 600$ deck
what the fuck happened? scalping was a bad before but what the genuine fuck is this?

>Being this retarded

I was leaning towards that. At the very least I know how to play through Crumble to Dusts, Leylines, and Blood Moons.

There was some talk online about Storm being Tier 1 but not actually being "good". I don't know how true this is but I believe the argument is that a bunch of people play it on MTGO because it's cheap, artificially raising Storm's tier. I guess there's also been a lack of big paper events so we'll have to see what shakes out.

Tiers are based on placements in events, not popularity like some people like to meme about.

?I believe the argument is that a bunch of people play it on MTGO because it's cheap, artificially raising Storm's tier.

You're right, but it's not artificial.

But they're not

Yeah, except they are not.

>tfw your favorite deck fell off harder than infect

Grixis Delver?

>Tiers are based on placements in events, not popularity like some people like to meme about.
It's basically popularity because it's based on meta share in all events, which means winning an fnm-tier ptq or 5-0ing an MTGO league counts for as much as going undefeated at a huge GP.

Jeskai Nahiri was a meme used by SCG to sell an upmarked Mythic

well I bought into it at 12 bucks each

I know it's a "competetive" thread but, did anyone of you played or built Forbidden Orchard Bant combo with Wargate, Chord etc?

How fun is it to play?

Has anyone ever tried Bant Zombies? I'm envisioning Gravecrawler, Bloodghast, Relentless Dead, Prized Amalgam, Plague Belcher, and some symmetric sac effects of some kind along with generic good stuff

The idea of 4x Athreos in the board to counter graveyard hate makes my dick hard

>Delver ends the game on T6
I believe it

>What if I don't know what I'm talking about?
>post it or weeaboos won't know about my alternative facts

that's cause Storm players are like Shadow players that were never physically beaten as a child. At least Shadow players feel bad about being faggots.

If your game plan is to turn dudes sideways this sounds like a really slow way to do it.

It's metashare dude. It's liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiteraly the opposite of what you just said. Not figuratively the opposite. Literally.

>U Tron is a combo deck
This is almost as stupid as Gr Tron being a control deck.

:^) but it wins through the mindslaver combo, friendo

Nahiris a shit waifu tho. The only good waifu is Thalia.

For someone who's been away from Magic for a long time and wanna get back into Modern, what deckbuilding suggestions would you have for WB midrange? I have four Baneslayers from my M10 days, among other things.

Don't cast anything over 4 mana unless it wins you the game on the spot.
Add green and goyfs.
Stay away from blue.

I was talking white/black, but considered going monowhite.

Buy 4 copies of Fatal Push, I don't think they're ever dropping in price at this point. What's your 1-mana discard selection looking like?

Again, I'm rather new to the recent sets, but yeah, Fatal Push looks like a bomb.

1 drop discard in what context? The 1-manas currently slotted that I'm planning on scrapping, or?

Lmao

Forgive me for being a newb - last I played, Extended was still a thing.

Oh I didn't know you have 60 cards already, what's your list?

Here's the thing - I don't. Are we talking one mana discard things (i.e Duress) or something else? I'm tipsy and (again) barely back into the game.

>The only good waifu is Thalia.
You take that back you slut. Emrakul best waifu.

Thoughtseize and Inquisition of Kozilek, those are the spells they are talking about but won't say because "ew someone who is new"

More on the lines "why won't complete newbies make a damn effort to learn anything for themselves, oh right, they don't seem to be that invested to this anyway and any given pro tip is going to drain."

Probably. I guess I should just main deck Lingering Souls alongside my bloodghasts to get delicious value out of Plague Belcher

Coming to an internet weeb board and asking questions of internet weebs on their weeb board is in fact making a damn effort.

You seem to overvalue your opinions if you think "pro tips on Veeky Forums" should qualify you for a better student.

should I add a torrential gear hulk to my u tron ?

No. Too many X spells that gearhulk is shit with.

Wasn't Hypergenesis up there?