EDH/Commander General

"Misread Cardname" Edition

Previous Thread: NEWS

>Commander 2017
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-commander-2017-edition-2017-04-18

>MTGO Banlist Latest Update
wizardsmtgo.tumblr.com/post/160343614814/update-mtgo-commander

>Latest Commander Ban Announcement
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18588

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>Veeky Forums EDH General Discord
discord.gg/UE9Vqzu

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread Question
What's a mechanic you'd like to see return? Would you like a Commander focused on that mechanic or just a subtheme?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/big-blue-deck-1/
mtggoldfish.com/deck/648410#paper
mtgfanatic.com/decks/viewdeck.aspx?id=177124
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/silas-renn-partnerless-extrodinaire/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/youre-gonna-draw-so-much-youll-get-tired-of-it/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/monowhite-voltron/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-05-17-planet-of-the-apes/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>boardwipe insurance
He's a great blink target actually, that's what you should be using him for.

"Great" is a stretch. He's an ACCEPTABLE blink target. The reason it was so good in Standard was because just juking a single removal spell with Restoration Angel was backbreaking- they thought they were dropping 2 damage off your board, but you ended up getting 6 more, and 5 life to boot. And it was great in multiples.

There's a reason it became a 2 dollar card when it rotated- it's just not that good in other formats. It's too expensive and slow for Modern and Legacy, and it's too non-impactful for Commander. There's way better blink targets.

Thread is ruined, make another one.

Just for you

>boardwipe insurance
>having a 3/3 on the board

Thats fucking nothing.

I mean, it's not NOTHING, but it's not great. If you're putting a card in as "boardwipe insurance", there's better options.

Boardwipe insurance was argument tho', I actually think he's a better blink target.

He's not even very good at that.

Oh boy, a 3/3 and 5 life at the cost of whatever blink card I used. I'd rather hit a Witness to regrow cards, or something that draws cards. The 5 life is basically a non-thing, and the 3/3 is mediocre at best considering you need Thrag and a blink enabler for it.

It's really not worth a slot outside of Beast Tribal.

Best commander for mono blue artifacts?

Am I missing anything?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/big-blue-deck-1/

best one is arcum dagsson

>Wincon (27)
>27x Snow-Covered Island
Is this a ruse?

Can't win without em.

Any Boros bros have experience with pic related? I've been debating about its inclusion. I already have a Grand Abolisher and aren't sure if this is overkill.

If you have a lot of trouble with people fucking up your shit on your turn, a single duplicate effect isn't overkill.

>throw together a Zur deck
>bring it to LGS
>turns out everyone has a hateboner for Zur
what are some fun/novel things I can do with this guy? I don't like playing combo, but if I'm targeted with extreme prejudice based on the commander alone, I might as well be mean.

Or you can keep it non-dickish so they stop picking on it.

If you brought it once, said "It's not a combo deck", got hated off the table, and then the next time you show up you start comboing off on turn 3, people are gonna think you were lying from the start.

Good point. I really dislike combo wins in multiplayer EDH, and I would rather avoid it. A lot of the deck as it is now was taken from an Alesha death & taxes build, and it's kinda fun. What's really missing is cheap enchantments that actually get me closer to winning; nearly all the Zur targets are there specifically to prevent the combo players' bullshit (Aura of Silence, Rest in Peace, Blind Obedience, etc.). I recently picked up a Training Grounds and I would love for it to earn a home for itself with Zur...

Voltron it up. Cram it full of silver bullets for the other player's combos, and then slap Edge of the Divinity and Steel of the Godhead and Helm of the Ghastlord onto him and just start doming motherfuckers.

So what are the tribal commander decks gonna be, you think?

Just finished building Xenagos. Anything I should add or remove?

Forgot link

mtggoldfish.com/deck/648410#paper

Forgot I had the first draft of the decklist online:
mtgfanatic.com/decks/viewdeck.aspx?id=177124
I'll pick up those Shadowmoor-era auras. Is Phyresis degenerate?

This plus Sakura Tribe Elder gets every basic plains in my deck, right?

I think it's fantastic. Goes in a lot of my nonblue decks and even some of my blue ones.
Yes.

Any feedback for this pile?
Tapping Winter Orb eot to Improvise a Whir finding Tangle Wire is pure sex.

Yeah.

Hey mate, my brother runs Sram too.

Some cards you should definitely include:
>Bone Saw
>Cathar's Shield
>Spidersilk Net
>Accorder's Shield
>Paradise Mantle
>Kite Shield
And any other 0 CMC equipment you can find. Trust me, these will quickly become your favourite cards.

You can also run some enchantment removal:
>Faith's Fetters
>Arrest
>Prison Term
>Darksteel Mutation
Removing activated abilities from a commander can cripple many decks.

If you want to incorporate more enchantments then these are a good place to start.
>Spectra Ward
>Unquestioned Authority
>Flickering Ward
>Messa Enchantress

If you don't want to incorporate any enchantments then Foundry Inspector, Helm of Awakening and Cloud Key are a good ideas. The more equipment you can cast for 0 the better.

Celestial Crusader isn't necessary because we're going tall, not wide. Mentor of the Meek isn't useful because you're not running many creatures, and it's redundant because we have a draw engine on our commander.
I recommend swapping them out for aggressive creatures that create tokens. I know, I just said we were going tall instead of wide, but from my experience (and this is highly dependent on your meta) Sram is vulnerable to "player sacrifices a creature" effects, which some token production can fix.
Hero of the Bladehold and Brimaz are good options in this regard as they are attractive targets for equipment anyway.

Smuggler's Copter and Cultivator's Caravan are goodstuff vehicles.

Blade of Selves isn't worth it because Sram is legendary; all his tokens will be exiled. Even if they weren't, they would still only be 2/2's. Blade of Selves is best used when exploiting ETB triggers, which this decks doesn't really do.

It's better (and funner) to play five 1cmc equipment to draw five cards than it is to play one 5cmc to one card. In a Sram deck, Bonesplitter is better than Sword of Kaldra.

It's okay to not run many lands.

Also Dead-Iron Sledge and Pariah's Shield aren't really good ideas, because the deck really relies on Sram being alive. Anything that kills Sram will cripple our engine.

Also, even though I said it's good to run cheaper equipment, you should still have a couple "bomb" equipment, like Argentum Armor, that you can tutor for with Stoneforge Mystic and Stonehewer Giant

If it's as disappointing as the previous commander set, then it will be elves, goblins, zombies, humans/soldiers and their oversupported ilk.

I'd like to see more dwarves or minotaurs.

I think it will be elves, zombies, goblins, merfolk and angels. Humans are too spread out in the color pool to have a coherent tribal deck.

I think they're savvy enough to not do the really obvious tribes. They created Nephilim commanders to fill a hole in design space, rather than just heaping more cards into the usual color combos, so there's a good chance they'll use these tribal commanders to print some stuff for tribal people want to play but don't get much of a chance to because it's too undersupported currently.

There are only 4 decks
They've explicitly said it'll be the most popular and interesting tribes (read: elves, zombies, goblins, werewolves, vampires, merfolk, angels or dragons)

Anyone thought about doing a Hope of Ghirapur deck for 1v1 commander? Play with lots of mana rocks and cut off half their deck while building up to the biggest fatties. Cast him, attack and turn off their spells, then cast Ullamog. They can't do anything until your next turn, by which time you have the game in the bag.

Rate my janky group hug but-not-really group hug deck. Anything I should take out, add?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/youre-gonna-draw-so-much-youll-get-tired-of-it/

Yeah, "popular" is the operative word there. I don't think it necessarily means "popular" as in "the most widely played" tribes, I think it could easily be tribes people really like the idea of but don't have support for. You gave Werewolves as an example there, and I think that it's an apt one. A tribe that's definitely not "oversupported" or widely played, because it's significantly weaker than many other tribes. Commander is the perfect place for them to print premier support they couldn't or didn't print in Standard, either due to set limitations or powerlevel concerns.

REEEEE need suggestions for my commander to make it good please help! need it for this weekend!
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/monowhite-voltron/

see

Strata Scythe, Tithe, Gift of Estates, Angel of Jubilation, Wrath of God, FLICKERING WARD

I wrote some shit here: The most important takeaway is to get all the 0cmc equipment. You won't appreciate just how good they are until you've played with them.

Turn 1:
>Plains
>Sigarda's Aid
Turn 2:
>Plains
>Sram
>Bone Saw
>Cathar's Shield
>Spidersilk Net
>Accorder's Shield
>Paradise Mantle
>Kite Shield
Draw a card, draw a card, draw a card, draw a card

Live the dream

I don't trust them to make an actually interesting Werewolf legend.
I don't trust them to make interesting commander-focused legends at all.

damn 0cmc saw people play this shit until they get field wiped by some fag and kept starring at there field being empty form bullshit!
Thanks for the these suggestions im gonna start adjusting now im gonna scavenge hunt this shit!

How is Zur a "try hard earn instant hate" card? He doesn't seem that powerful, but I am far more of a Timmy player than I'd ever admit in real life...

I wonder

>Thread Question
I'd like new Extort cards, preferably noncreature. I wouldn't like an Extort commander though, since most Orzhov commanders already have a life drain theme. I'd just like new cards to use on the already existing commanders.

"you may search your library for an enchantment card with converted mana cost 3 or less and put it onto the battlefield" doesn't sound powerful to you?

>cheat aura spells into play on him
>hit people for 21 damage turn 6
>?????
>win game.

granted someone in my play group plays Zul and doesn't go Voltron and goes pillowfort control. It is super consistent and annoying.

Now I get it.

I will never deny sometimes being dumb. The first thing my mind went to is grabbing Auras and going Voltron, which is dumb and a waste of his ability (I see that now).

The problem with Zur are combos that can straight up win you the game on the spot, and the fact you can tutor them the moment you attack with him. It's incredibly consistent, and with the right amount of money you can even build a deck that 1 wins.

How do you feel about Ghave?

>best tutor color
>best control color
>best general color
Gee.

Does anyone have a half-decent Rakdos discard list? I just want to throw everything in the "rave yard" and reanimate my way to victory.

Also, what can I run to exile my opponents graveyards? I know tormods, but I want to run twilight's call and the like, and I don't know how to make it not-terrible.

Literally never played with or against him.

>EDH with a Memnarch controller
>Play Mycosynth Lattice
>About to have tons of fun stealing people's planar lensed islands from them for infinite pillaging
>Next player immediately throws out a Merciless Eviction

Damn it.

Well, you know what he does? Take a peak and tell me what you think.

Best? Arcum. Funnest? Jin "The Chin" Jan ,The Augur Man, Gitaxias.

From what I've gathered, the Teferi planeswalker is considered to be better, Arcum is close behind.

The only two other mono colored "top tier" decks are Yisan and Selvala.

Do you count Chain Veil Teferi as artifacts? Because then CVT. If you want something fun, Arcum is great because he tutors out whatever you want, but Padeem and Muzzio are both fun as little advantage engines.

You forgot Sidisi, Undead Vizier. Never underestimate the power of an easily recursed tutor.

Smart man. Memnarch sucks to play against

Which one should I pick? Right now I'm leaning towards Niv-Mizzet.

I feel like Mizzix is probably the strongest, but feels like a hate magnet, and that wouldn't be very fun. How much do you feel people hate her?

Melek seems a slow, but a decent card advantage engine, especially if you have a few repeatable ways to manipulate the library (sensei's divining top, scrollrack, soothsaying) in order to abuse his effect. I bet there are several neat tricks you could pull with him.

Jori En seems worse than Melek, especially if I don't play a thousand cantrips. Could be fun with an aggressive deck based on prowess and cards like Talrand and Young Pyromancer, though. That said, I think this kind of deck would lose steam fast in a multiplayer setting.

This Niv-Mizzet is the one that doesn't have the infinite combo with Curiosity. It has a decent body and has an alternative way to deal Commander damage that also nets you cards. Assuming you're playing a longer game he could actually be very useful as long as it isn't killed on sight. How much hate does he usually get?

>an alternative way to deal Commander damage that also nets you cards
No it doesn't. Pinging someone with Dracogenius doesn't count as commander damage, only combat damage does.

Jori en actually scales a lot better in multiplayer, since you can draw a card on other people's turn's with her too.

Ah, shit, you're completely right. That said, I could still ping someone to finish him off every now and then.

Well, but in order to accomplish that I would have to be casting at least 2 spells every turn (mostly cantrips, I'm assuming). I think it could be viable in a deck that benefits from a lot of small/cheap casting, but I'm unsure how powerful that would be compared to some of the other broken, more expensive spells a slower game-plan could provide.

Could use some feedback on my Samut deck
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-05-17-planet-of-the-apes/

We need that more than ever to make Brazil.dec

Mizzix depends on your meta, though if you're playing against strangers who know EDH you'll draw aggro. Middling aggro though. Mizzix isn't the scariest thing to see and there's a good chance a more dangerous general will be on the table, but you'll have people wary of you.

I had a Melek deck for a while. It was pretty meh truth be told. You can get nutty with him, but more often than not you'll be wishing you had Mizzix instead.

I had a buddy run a Jori En EDH. She can get nuts if you're doing combo/control stuff. Like it doesn't seem like much at first, but start throwing down tons of rocks and she'll go bonkers. Especially if you have Leyline of Anticipation down. Also she's only 3 mana, so she'll drop down early.

But if you're just looking for fun, casual R/U that won't get you hated off the table Dracogenius is the way to go.

What are some must have artifacts for an artifact deck

Darksteel Forge

You sly dog.

That's some good flavor

Sol Ring
Paradox Engine
Chief Engineer (if Blue)
Cranial Plating (if Black)
Goblin Welder (if Red)
Voltaic Key
Daretti (either, if Red or Red/Black)
Palladium Myr + Myr Galvanizer
Etherium Sculptor (if Blue
Sharuum the Hedgemon (if Esper)
Tezzeret the Seeker (if Blue)
Spine of Ish Sah (if Recursion)
Ethersworn Canonist (if White)

Besides the flavor, why no use of white for removal or board wipes?

Melek has a selection of very fun tricks, and twincasting fat cards is immensely satisfying. combos very very hard with mana rituals, dont use them unless you are ok with this. Library of leng paired with looting effects is fucking spicy.

jori en is nice for being innocuous, gradual card advantage. She is also fairly ubiquitous, dosn't need a spesific build like melek, although leyline and vedalkin orrery are nice.

Mizix can be played super combo/storm, although x spell tribal is a cool alternative.

niv I don't have much experience with.

Consider keranos and arjun as well. Keranos is probably just better than jori en, and arjun is very very good at digging for combo bits/fun interactions. chasam skulker, psychosis crawler, alhamerats archive, lab maniac. Just about everything that triggers when you draw, keep in mind that resolving all his triggers gets exhausting. .

Shut up Jeff.

Whir of Invention is the best EDH card printed in years, if you ask me.

Check out me shilling my list as well.

Greel, Mind Raker
Oppression
Zombie Infestation
Leyline of the Void
One With Nothing

>improvise can't pay for blue
makes it kind of wonky in 3+ colors compared to chord of calling, but probably still worth it

>no thornbite staff
for shame.

Jori En is definitely not an aggro commander.

Prowess isn't very good with her because you don't want to cast a dozen cards on your turn to buff your creatures; instead, you want to cast exactly 2 each turn and ever turn in order to trigger her ability as frequently as possible.
As such, you end up playing a lot of cards during your opponents turns, leading to more of a control style of play.

Jori En becomes much stronger in the late game when you've got down Talrand, Metallurgic Summonings or Docent of Perfection, along with permanents that lower the cost of your spells like Goblin Electromancer and Arcane Melee. Once you're at that point you can effortless decimate your opponents board state while simultaneously building your own.

When I first built Jori I filled my deck with cards like Kiln Fiend, Charmbreaker Devils Stormchaser mage, but the value they get out of instants only lasts for a single turn; your boardstate will fall behind your opponent's as the game drags on.

Also, you will be running higher cmc spells, and spells with that scale well over time (overload costs, kickers, "you may pay x," etc).
Typically, you'll play a valuable spell alongside a 1 cmc cantrip to trigger Jori's ability. It's like the role of cantrips with Jori is to make all other spells become cantrips.

I love my Jori deck but I honestly wouldn't recommend her over other Izzet commanders. She's only underestimated because your opponents expectations are so low.

Yeah pretty much my favorite card printed recently.

Bought a playset for utron in modern. But decided to turn the deck into something more casual.

>granted someone in my play group plays Zul and doesn't go Voltron and goes pillowfort control. It is super consistent and annoying.

This. Either you have to have an answer to Zur every time he's cast - counter, removal, whatever - or it's immediately Astral Slide, Karmic Justice, Sphere of Safety, Ghostly Prison,. Propaganda...

96 land
Treasure cruise
Zombie infestation
Elixer of immortality

What went wrong

Nothing? He's not the best artifact commander but he's great in the 99.

Treasure hunt, treasure cruise. They draw about the same.

MANA VORTEX

Cards that should be banned I'll start

>he

Worse swords in voltron decks. Bad bait.

Why? It's pretty balanced

>exile
>land

vs any other color hmm

Blue
>destroy
>3/3 ape

Black
>Destroy
>Costs more mana

Green
>Destroy
>Costs more mana
>And a 3/3 beast

Red
>Shuffle into library
>Replace it with something that could be just as good/better

It's almost like different colors have different strengths. Huh. White also lacks green's ramp, blue's draw/counters, red's damage effects, and blacks draw/amount of removal.

Not my fault if Wizards makes everyone have a man face now.

Are you actually complaining that some fragment of the color pie remains?

So you want every color to be the exact same and equally strong at everything?