Board Game General /bgg/ - Pic sure to trigger edition

>Last thread
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/NA2W929q

Con season coming up, so lots of games being bought/sold/auctioned. What's the best deal you've ever gotten on a game? How about the best one you got secondhand? Most surprising pickup? Biggest screwjob?

>What's the best deal you've ever gotten on a game?

I bought 100% of BattleCon from someone for $100 and it came with about two hundred or so sleeves. Felt like a fucking bandit.

To the person a couple threads ago who recommended The Grizzled, thank you! It group loves it and definitely worth the $13. Any word on if the expansion is good too?

I heard the expansion is good.

>Best deal
Got two heroscape master sets for 15 $. I used to work in a toy store and I arrived just as they were clearancing the rotv master set. Bought one 15 $ and the other was the old demo copy we had that was given to me by my colleagues.
Other than that, I got a complete MB Buffy the Vampire slayer for 20 $ incl shipping (To france !)
I rarely buy games second hand, so Buffy is the best, I guess.

Is there a joke to the op image that I'm not getting?

"If you kill one board gamer having bad wrong fun - it is a tragedy. If you kill ten million, it is a statistic." Sam Healey.

YA'LL WHATS UP? SAM HEAAAALEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYY

I actually like Tom and Zee. You always have to take at least Tom's reviews with a grain of salt, but they're pretty genuine normal people. Sam is just so forced though. He wants to be hilarious and forces like 5 schticks at a time

Sam is there because he's known the other two for a long time and that's about it.

At least he's better than any of the side """"content"""" they feature from other rando schmucks

What are the best and worst expansions for Eldritch horror? All I've got is the base and I'm looking to go bigger.

The best expansion is 100% Forsaken Lore, it's basically a balance patch and comes with like 1.5x the content/dollar of all the other expansions.
I'd advise you to get the small expansion before the large ones, the maps included in the large expacs don't see that much play.

Anyone here know anything about this? It looks pretty cool and I like the theme but there's barely stuff about it online.

How long do I need to wait for this to be reprinted? It seems to be either out of stock or mad expesive everywhere.

EH is pretty big so FL is definitely getting a reprint, last time it did was a March so you may have to wait a bit.
Of the other expacs I'd recommend Strange Remnants. The large expansions aren't as good for your dollar, it gives you an Old One with a cool gimmick while Signs of Carcosa is basically a hard mode.

Is this the best social deduction game?

All social deduction games suck ass, so probably?

Scratch that...I actually like Mafia de cuba. So the answer to your question is Mafia de cuba, but you need like 8 people minimum to have a good game.

find yourself, you can play it online

>playing social deduction bluffing games online

wew

Trouble in terrorist town is the greatest social deduction game to ever be created and it's entirely online.

Which is exactly why those "games" are complete dogshit. Sitting in a circle talking to people is not a game.

>Which is exactly why those "games" are complete dogshit. Sitting in a circle talking to people is not a game.
Except that's not all you do autist

This board is about 50% about just that, my dude, and just so happens to be called traditional games.

Can you tell me what you like about The Grizzled? It's been on my radar for a while

>What's the best deal you've ever gotten on a game?

Not the 'best deal' - just the latest. SOON!

>Not Alone
Good choice. The problem with this game is that it works mainly on guesswork and lacks player interaction between the survivors.

No, definitely not.

Even if it isn't superb, it won't be ruinous since it isn't hideously expensive. I'm also looking forward to Fairy Tale.

He's relatively good at skirmish games (hell, he's pretty much the only reviewer who actually likes skirmish games for the combat more than the toys), and he doesn't hide his That Guyism. So even if he's insufferable, he's still functional as a good gauge for what you local grognard will go nuts about. Plus he can't lie to save his life, if something's shit he'll say is shit and if somethings shit but he likes it too much to say it's shit he still can't lie to your face about it like so many other "reviewers" (looking at you man vs meeple) do.

Tom is the quirky new mechanics and ameritrash guy, Zee is the microgames and euros guy, and Sam is the skirmish and autism dude. And they all have to hate on sex and demons in board games or their wives will hit them. It's like the slice of life comedy show of board game reviews.

Anyone have any experience with this one? I know it's been out for a while, but I haven't heard much buzz about it one way or the other.

It's a deck of 60 some cards and some cardboard tokens, so don't mistake it for anything too fancy, but it's a nice half hour fillery coop game for the price I paid. It's abstracted, but the art and gameplay really get the theme across as hard knocks start to pile up and make everyone miserable. You also have a good deal of options so I've never felt like I was destined to lose from just bad luck, though we have lost to pushing our luck too far.

That's from just 4 games though, so take it as you will. Won twice, lost twice. The one thing that irks me is the awkward rule of "No talking about your cards or support tokens". There's just a fine line there between what actually is talking about your cards and what's just telling the room to be dead silent and don't make a peep. Was I cheating when I said I'm in bad shape as I had 3 pretty nasty hard knocks on my side? That might be taken as telling people who to support. Was it revealing your cards to have a player groan at the draw of a card with 3 threats? Pretty much telling us to lucky charm that card or he's gonna have to withdraw. Do we now know too much knowing his hand most likely has a gas mask or bullet in it because that's the threats that just reached 2 on the board? I don't play boardgames to just shut up and play cards silently, but that rule makes me feel bad about anything I might do.

Has anyone played Exceed, Sellsword or Resistor?

It's a decent light filler. Very luck-heavy, though. Don't expect to applying any grand strategies.

I played it fairly vocally, but not outright saying my cards, or who my support would go to. I think it describes the vocal aspect in the rules pretty well iirc. Fun game for sure.

Is the bad grammar on purpose in this image?

Which two abstracts should I get?

I've only played Hive and Onitama and I love both of those. Onitama is very similar to chess with a few tweaks so if you're looking for something substantially different from chess, you may want to pass on Onitama.

Hive on the other hand is very much different from chess and so that one can scratch an itch that chess doesn't, I would definitely recommend Hive at least.

That's my opinion too, I generally tend to find myself agreeing with Sam's opinions and generally look up any game that he endorses as we seem to have the same preferences in board games. He isn't particularly funny but he is honest and he has similar tastes to me. A reviewer with the same preferences is always better than someone who simply likes different styles of games, movies, or tv shows than you.

That's not escape from aliens in outspace

Which also has the prize for worst named board game of all time.

KANE LIVES
LONG LIVE THE MESSIAH

I didn't create it. So it's (probably) not intentional. At least not on my part.

Thanks. Appreciate the feedback.

Tracking down Joe and buying him a beer is on my bucket list.

Hive Pocket goes with me everywhere. Ultra-portable and being tile-based makes it indestructible. Can't do that with any other game.

I can't imagine there's a person that made this that isn't a clickbait shill.

Anyway, why are "gateway games" not colled "games that are not a mess of components, conflicting rules and overall hampered enjoyment"?

Nigger it's literally a copy of Avalon with retarded hipsters that designed it having hitler as a dinosaur because it's doubleplusungood to have anything resembling fascism in their safe space

I fucking fear corporate culture and this game reeks of it

>Arkham Horror designer
>12x six sided dice

I never saw that coming

RIP white

I have 2.
Onitama is if you want chess where it takes 2 minutes to get to the meat of the action and 10 minutes to finish a game. The cards make it feel unique and add a new element but it is very much feels like fast chess.
Santorini is more it's own thing. The game itself vanilla is pretty bare but the way the player powers change the game and interact with each other is a great draw. It's also what makes it kinda ride the line as far as defining it as an abstract.

I took cards from Bloody Inn and rules from Coup and my group tried to play Coup.

We deducted it's fucking nonsensical shit and that bluffing games are for normies. In fact even normies did not like it. I don't see how Secret Hitler or whatever would be better.

Wow, you got me. I was bluffing. Heh, you did not get me this time. I was bluffing. What variety.

Yeaahhh that would be me.

Bought Munchkin from a gypsy for less than an euro, like new, all cards included etc

Shit game though

Man you got gyped and jewed.

I'm too lazy to put it up online to see if someone would trade me a card game for it

I feel you, Hive is a lot harder to be good at than one would think

>because it's doubleplusungood to have anything resembling fascism in their safe space
I thought it was because Hitler is antithetical to the Enlightenment ideals of current Western civilization and is therefore reviled by it.

Hitler was for animal rights, recycling, intellectual property rights, nuclear energy, the abolishment of interest banking, etc.
Himmler was the dumbass who believed in magic, making pacts with demons and blood-related superpowers.
Hitler like asians, indians, natives and even niggers. But despised race mixing.
Himmler believed in the aryan ubermensch.

USA and UK allying with Hitler instead of Stalin might have caused less damage in the long run for everyone but the jews.

He also abused his position to set up a system where the government had overbearing control over basically every aspect of its citizen's lives, destroyed unions, and had no objections to the depredations of his underlings.
Recent research demonstrates that he was probably unaware of the worst aspects of the Holocaust, though, I'll give you that.

What do you all think about reviewers who have complaints with games because the theme is "pasted on"? I'd listened to/read reviews of games where the game is praised for being really good and then when they get to the negatives for the game all they talk about is how the theme really isn't essential and just pasted on.

It may just be me but this feels like an incredibly weak complaint that is only used so that a reviewer can't say that a game is flawless. What are your thoughts?

Not surprising considering he was inspired by Mussolini and that man had a propaganda machine that'd make Castro feel unpopular to hide all the suffering his revolution caused in Italy.
In the end that seems to be the thing with Hitler. He was a relentless and strong-willed man who genuinelly wanted to see his nation live to it's full potential after seeing it get eviscerated by vultures and bled by leeches. But he allied with the worst people avaliable, Goebbels and Himmler were literally cartoon villains, Stalin can only be challenged by Mao for the "Tyrant of the century" award and Tojo wasn't any better.

Nothing is flawless, if the theme is irrelevant to the game it's existance may even be a detriment for people who dislike the theme.

Imagine Onitama was a /mlp/ game.

>Stalin can only be challenged by Mao for the "Tyrant of the century" award
Only on an absolute scale. On a relative scale Pol Pot wins handily.

>may even be a detriment for people who dislike the theme
I completely get that. I've just always thought that a review is supposed to be an objective analysis without personal bias. I get somebody saying that the theme didn't click with them or that they didn't like it. There's nothing wrong with that but it's subjective, and their opinion isn't better or worse than anyone else.

>Imagine Onitama was a /mlp/ game.
This is a terrifying thought

Forgot to add that I just may have a different opinion on how reviews should be done than other people

Good game design should try to link the mechanics with the theme. Sometimes there's no connection there.

A review is never even mostly objective. Otherwise all you could do is review the amount of time it took you to play the game and tell people the number of components involved.

I think poor theming can be a flaw, but mostly when it's counter intuitive to what you're doing or hurting the presentation. A good use of theme has a power to help people understand mechanics and draw people in. I suppose it's like music. Not every movie or game will use it the same way and sometimes barely use it at all, but to misuse it will make the product worse.

Don't think of it as an objective criticism of the game, think of it as signposting for those people for whom strong integration of theme is an important metric. Not everyone cares, but some people do, and for those people it's helpful information.

Looking for recommendations for a group of 4 that will take less than 2 hours ideally.

Chaos in the Old World.

kemet, kemet, kemet.

Pandemic is universally regarded as the best overall board game. If you encounter detractors, their only 'argument' is that it's a GATEWAY game which translates to 'it's not a horrid mess like shit I bought that takes 10hrs to explain to new players'.

First, are there more images like pic?

Second, i want to introduce my group to a worker placement/euro , what would be best? Agricola? Stone Age? Lords of Waterdeep? Suggestions?

I seriously hope that Games Workshop and Lang won't let this one die off.

Do you think the german version is playable for non germans if you know the rules?

It's quite heavily text-based.
And they will let it die off.

>it's a GATEWAY game which translates to 'it's not a horrid mess like shit I bought that takes 10hrs to explain to new players'.
No, actually, that translates to "I can predict whether we can win based off the initial state and first few cards."

>dice chucker

lol

lol you can't predict shit

Based on the first few turns of Pandemic you can quite easily predict whether you've got enough actions to quash the outbreaks at a pace enough to win, and CitOW isn't a dice-chucker because the winner is most often the player who makes best use of his quite limited power points and follower numbers, not the person who rolls the most sixes.

>Based on the first few turns of Pandemic you can quite easily predict whether you've got enough actions to quash the outbreaks at a pace enough to win
After the first few games, I mean.

Chicago Express
Quantum
Survive! Escape From Atlantis
Lords of Vegas
Wiz-War

That is completely untrue even if you played it a thousand times. A lot of it hangs on cards you draw and decisions you make.

And Chaos is a dice chucker because you chuck dice to resolve conflicts. Such games need to be discarded straight away because of lazy design.

There are but most are older and not updated (pic related), I'm in the midst of working on one for groups 3-6 in size but it's slow going. Might finish this weekend, but I'm also trying to get my Gencon schedule figured for the 6 of us who attend yearly.

As for worker placement? Stone Age is the standard for into/gateway, but I got a chance to test out World's Fair 1893 last month, it's really solid. Game plays very fast, easily under 45 minutes, and while really simple there was enough choice and tension that I might start pointing people to it before Stone Age or Waterdeep. Waterdeep is pretty, and straightforward but the theme is barely pasted on. Pillars of the Earth is supposedly getting a reprint, it's gotten a lot of good press over the years. Agricola would be the 2nd or 3rd worker placement I'd put in front of people, there's so much there to cause AP.

>And Chaos is a dice chucker because you chuck dice to resolve conflicts.
No, you chuck dice as a result of conflict, not as part of its resolution. It's perfectly possible for two warrior units to sit on a province from the first turn to the last.

I do hope pillars of the earth gets a reprint, ive found Lords of Waterdeep with a better price than Stone Age so thats why im so divided between both, ive already played stone age online and saw waterdeep reviews, the theme of waterdeep for me looks better and its faster i think, has more things to do that are not that complicated. Why is it so hard to choose games ? Would hurt having more than one of those? Maybe i'll try to get pillars when it gets reprinted.

And thanks for the pic!

Blokus
Dixit
Small World
Eminent Domain
7 Wonders
Carcassonne
Arctic Scavengers
Citadels
Code Names
Cosmic Encounter
Cutthroat Caverns
Dark Moon
Deception In Hong Kong
Five Tribes
Hanabi
Mission Red Planet
Neuroshima Hex
Quartermaster General
Roll for the Galaxy
Saboteur 1 & 2
Specter Ops
Splendor
Stone Age
Tash-Kalar
The Castles of Burgundy
The Grizzled
Ticket to Ride
Xenoshyft

>Pandemic is universally regarded as the best overall board game (in my circle of imaginary friends).

FYP user.

>After the first few games of Pandemic you can quite easily predict whether you've got enough actions to quash the outbreaks at a pace enough to win.

Yeah, I play with a group that quickly picked up optimal play patterns. It doesn't always guarantee a win, but after a while the outcome of games using just the 'base' Pandemic set became fairly predictable.

Yeah I get that, I playtested World's Fair because I wanted to write it off the list for gateway, all it did was give me one more to choose from. Then there's pic related which I haven't found a bad review of yet, and my buddy keeps trying to tell me I'd love, but I'm not driving 18hrs to test it at his place, and I loathe buying a game I'm not 100% sure on.

Interesting, what kind of combat mechanism replaced dice chucking for you?

Card based? Deterministic? Closed Auction? Chit-pulling?

I wouldn't particularly recommend Quartermaster General for 4 players as a 2v2 game unless you have teams were one person is willing to manage more than the other teammate, preferably the Axis Team having a split of Italy/Japan and Germany, and the Allies team with a split of UK/US and Soviet. Might be interesting as a 1v3 game though

>i want to introduce my group to a worker placement/euro , what would be best? Agricola? Stone Age? Lords of Waterdeep? Suggestions?

I'm a huge fan of Stone Age, but Carcassonne isn't a bad starting point either, and you can ramp up the complexity a bit with add-ons. (I like the 'Big Box 5' version of Carc personally.)

Once you want to hit heavier stuff - I'd point you at Puerto Rico, Archipelago, etc.

Oh i already have carcassonne, its an euro but too simple. I think i was trying to say entry to medium euros i think?

Alright - then go with Stone Age, and look at Terra Mystica, Castles of Burgundy, Puerto Rico, Bora Bora, etc.

Seconding Blokus, Carcassonne, Hanabi, and Ticket to Ride

That's a fair argument. You're right. I should have left it off that list.

I should also add Five Tribes and Viticulture (before Minifig pokes me with a pointy stick!)

I just remembered two things i dont like about stone age, the dice part ( i love dice chucking ) and feeding the people, im not a casual gamer but i see my friends forgetting about feeding their people part a lot and losing points and getting frustrated. I saw Zee talking good things about five tribes, like it has a lot of mechanisms working together nicely and then you see what you like more about each one. Viticulture is EXPENSIVE around here, maybe i'll get on discount but for now its a nono. Lords of Waterdeep and Five tribes are around $80, viticulture around $95 and stone age around $100 (praise the high taxes)

placement
cards
tiles
card placement tiles that turn into game map
with cards

Knowing your local gaming group is key to picking games that they'll enjoy. That said I've been pleasantly surprised by games I didn't think I'd like but did once I tried them, perhaps your group might as well.

>Viticulture is EXPENSIVE around here, maybe i'll get on discount but for now its a nono. Lords of Waterdeep and Five tribes are around $80, viticulture around $95 and stone age around $100 (praise the high taxes)

Yikes! You are not kidding. I'm fortunate to have access to a lot of good on-line discount game sellers apparently. What part of the world do you live in?

Brazil sir, we always get fucked with prices around here :( and boardgames are expensive to import because of the taxes we get ( if we get taxed its +60%)

Quantum isn't a AAA game and can be a bit easy to 'break,' but it's solid puzzley 4k-esque fun, and doesn't take forever to play. Dice scare some people though.
Also looks great on the table, very clean while still be flavorful. Make sure you get the non-sticky dice.

Get The Duke. Or PnP The Duke. Or steal The Duke from some random passersby. It may not be as intuitive as the others and the learning curve is a bit steeper, but it is without a doubt the superior abstract.