Flames of War General: Lost in the Desert Edition

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/
Panzerfunk questions: docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeOBxEJbNzS_Ec7I76zQmCU9P7o0C5bAgcXriKQ4bOWBp4QkA/viewform

vimeo.com/128373915

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

What actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing an "i want to get a starter set" for late war.

Do you play TANKS? what is the local scene / meta like? (multi)
strawpoll.me/12127794/r

/fowg/ Discord
discord.gg/BfbxDSp

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1mG3BvkT6YQ
youtube.com/watch?v=P1CyPjQQTAM
flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5615
flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5560
scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Model_Aircraft/browse.php?s=0&t=0&u=1&pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber&so=a&era=0,8&sc=144
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Old thread died. Presumably everyone ran off when the chinkchan servers kept stalling. So I am abusing this opportunity to whine about the likelyhood of us being stuck in the desert for MW until early next year.

why couldn't it be EW desert

we will never get to ride around in a valentine.

>that OP

i miss the red logo. can we red-phase the new logo?

/NVA/
youtube.com/watch?v=1mG3BvkT6YQ

So for 4th edition do I now have to carve up all my artillery, mortar, mg42, and pak 40 teams and put the commanding officers onto gun teams?

I wouldn't do that. Just put a stripe of colour on their bases or something.

thank you Viruscide. One last thing. I asked for some TY advice on the old thread but it died. Do you think 8 x M1s, 4 x Vads, 6 x M109, 1 M113 OP, and 4 x AH1 Cobras is a good start for 100 points? Or would you shave things off and squeeze in mech infantry / planes / upgrade the artillery?

It just looks wrong with the metal instead of the red wording...

I'd aim a little lower, start with Bannon's Boys, and then just start building up from there. Play a couple of lower point games and then just build up gradually.

A friend of mine is selling his LW Brit army.
8 Cromwells
2 Challengers
2 Wolverines
8 Universal Carriers
Field battery with 8 25pdr guns
Rifle platoon
Mortar platoon
Vickers platoon

Most are bare/primed black. Wants 200USD. Pull the trigger?

Sure, I was just messing about with the new logo since it was a north africa pic. I'll probably keep using the old one in the future.

Yes, but only if he throws in a cup of tea as well... and only if you can afford it and your bills are all met... and your wife/GF doesn't find out. If she does, throw the tea in her face and run.

sounds like a great deal, if you're interested in the brits go for it

You'll want at least two more M-10s. The artillery and the tanks would run you 200 bucks probably anyway.

>not the best theme
youtube.com/watch?v=P1CyPjQQTAM

i like that list.

it's very solid, and though lacking infantry or scouts, it's lacking random or less-than-value elements

Any good source to read about operation cobra?
Also, did operation cobra, goodwood and atlantic worked together?
It seems they were launched simultaneously, could I put those operation in a firestorm campaign?

Max Hastings - Overlord

Anyone else think the new flexible plastic infantry are going to be crap?

If the flexible plastic things are same as 1/72 historical figures from italeri or revell, I will never buy things made of the material.

I imagine one day in a hot car and your army is ruined.

Article said ABS Plastic like the shit in 3D printers.

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5615

I think it will be fine.

isn't the type of stuff mantic was using or are still using?

I need to see them in-hand to really tell, but on that BF article the hard plastic dude looked way better than the soft plastic guys.

The hard plastic really has better details on it

Has anyone played Battlegroup? Do FoW minis transfer well?

That does show a big difference, but I am not too sure if the finished thing will look that much different.

I have the Battlegroup overlord rules, never played but I have seen people use their FoW figures with that set. Works well.

/fowg/ I don't really think I want to go through all the rulebooks to find this - is there a list that lets me play British paras with Cromwells in support? Would that be in Market Garden?

yeah it works well for battlegroup might have to rebase your infantry on indivual bases

None of them that I can find. They failed to link up during Market Garden and Nachtjaeger and it's DLC doesn't have the option.

But using V4 you can just marry a formation of Paras to Cromwells.

Overlord paras have the option of their armored recce (FV) cromwells (and Royal Marines Centaurs for artillery).

Meh, just play the Eastern Front book with the EW/LW rulebook?
Gods damn it, I was really looking forward to getting some plastic guns. Good thing I didn't rush to pre-order... :(

>tfw no DDR

Remember when it was PSC putting out spindly crap that'd been carved out of potato and BF had bulky figures with good detail relief?

they look like I've smeared vaseline over my eyes, except I haven't.

Does this mean PSC > bf infantry?

PSC's new stuff is (at least) on par with BF and significantly cheaper.

Here is a comparison among (left to right) a metal battlefront Soviet, the new soft plastic German arty crew, a PSC Soviet, and a hard plastic German.

>PSC's new stuff is (at least) on par with BF and significantly cheaper.
They're now competing with the crap above so they're hugely better.

Hard plastic PSC german, right? The soviets are old-style, along with the generic germans and LW americans.

Hard plastic BF German. My bad.

I'll take a shot of some normandy grenadiers, then, adjacent to old PSC soviets. The soviets were literally some of their first models and they've improved enormously, to the point where I wouldn't be confident telling apart BF and PSC these days.

One day I am going to turn my Soviets into a straf battallion.

They work fine, you don't have to rebase shit. You do have to keep track of casualities as men are individuals. Counters are easiest; if you have plenty of four/five-man teams (rifle) and three-man (command) then making a few two-man (unless you have a fair number of those) and single infantry is an easy concession and allows you to play just fine, swapping a four for a three when a guy dies and using the individually based models for the rest.

Battlegroup is a great game.

What is a good starting setup for TY? I want go with worst germans

I'll look into the rules soon. I'm hoping it has simple but brutal assault mechanics.

Gonna ask you some questions. Then I can point you in some directions.

1) Boys or toys?

2) Do you want to be the biggest cat on the block? Or would you rather have more friends to watch your back?

3) Do you want the latest and greatest in APC technology or are old metal boxes fine for you if it means you can bring more missiles?

4) you hear 20 radar lock alarms. Are you turning back or going in?

Overlord or Nachtjager (Digital) lists can get Cromwells from the Airborne Armored Recce platoons (or Seaborne, technically). If you want Challengers and paras, you're out of luck.

The 88 crew I got hold of were just awful

The Brit 25 pdr crew I got were not great but ended up looking okay after painting.

They had three main problems. The faces on about half the models were awful, the mould line were difficult to remove and noticeable especially the ones on the helmets and the thin parts like the artillery pole defaulted to bent.

I've had some metal models with pretty awful faces as well but I felt these were not as good as metal models overall.

As long as paint sticks to them I'm good.

They were making 1/72 figures and then shrinking them to 15mm and blowing them up to 28mm. They quickly realized what a shitty idea that was, luckily.

I sometimes wonder if I should worry that I was the only one who prefers those early models' more realistic proportions...

To each their own, of course.

I think the thinking is that thicker weapons will make them less likely to break and easier to identify at tabletop distance. With the heads, the idea is that the helmet is going to be a focal point of a small miniature being viewed from a bird's eye POV.

You're not alone of course. A lot of the true-scale fanatics play WWII at 1/72.

I'm going to avoid making any judgements about them until I've read a couple of hands-on reviews.

Meh, at best its a compromise. I think it's obvious that they hard plastics are better. The question really is: Is the soft plastic better than the metals. I think they will be definitely easier to paint up than metal. Clean up in general should be simpler than metal as you shouldn't have any men looking like gothmog due to a miscast. However the face detail is a bit lacking on many of the plastic guys. They kind of look like a cross between Michael Jackson and Voldermort with really high cheeks and lack of detailed facial features.They claimed they are cheaper to make than hard plastic... but will the prices really reflect that? The Team Yankee plastics for Red Thunder seem to be similarly priced to metal.

The real deciding factor for me will be how durable paint is on them. I assume with a good layer of primer and appropriate care, they will be fine, but I will have to see how my arty crew do until I try more. I think I rather have this than no plastic at all.

Are the TY plastic infantry the new plastic, or the more traditional hard plastic?

I don't think we have pictures yet of the TY plastic Soviet infantry.

Not sure. Asked on the forums to see if they can shed some light on it.

TOOOH!

Looking back on it, was there anything you guys feel went wrong with V3, if anything?

Garbo list and special rule bloat. Once the kinks were ironed out the core of v3 was fine.

> went wrong with V3

Mike Haught being allowed to do as he pleased with LW US lists from BG&G onward: too many special rules and snowflake lists seriously messed with the balance. BF allowed it cause I guess they sold a tone of US models, then kept adding more to other books or the abomination know as the Citizen Soldiers PDF.

Arty Parks
RoF 2 breakthrough guns
Lots of little rules that were hardly used thus bloating the rulebook.

But honestly I had a lot of fun with V3. Really miss the morale rules.

>snowflake lists
I'm going to run a bit of apologia for them.
some of them are actually pretty interesting assuming you count the false flag list or herman goring lists to be SS lists

>RoF 2 breakthrough guns
Eh, StuHs and Zrinyis weren't that bad. They're good against dug-in infantry, but there's rarely lots of them to start and they're reasonably fragile, and vet infantry took forever to kill. SU-122s were the only really bad one but that was because you could get seven million of them in one list.

>some of them are actually pretty interesting assuming you count the false flag list or herman goring lists to be SS lists
Those are exactly what the snowflake lists are, lists that weren't standard TOE/tactic lists.

Honestly, I loved them, the issue was power creep, not that they existed. Also the fact the soviets never got fucking any.

It was hard to beat 10 CV Zrinyi IIs for only 750 points. Good front armor and decent AT. They would have been formidable with the ability to bring multiple formations, if only breakthrough guns hadn't been nerfed.

24" range, though. Hurts if you have decent AT guns or tanks.

Lessons from the front is out.
flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5560

Absolutely nothing about the Portable Hole nonsense.

Any user in possession with the v4 Mid War command cards already?

wondering which other formations they added to the cards instead of printing them in the book...

I pre ordered 3 sets of the each Objective, German and British cards for our group, and the cards will be sent to me in June 1 as far as the invoice is right.

1. I'm assuming you mean tank or infantry, so i'll go with tanks

2. Leo 2s are nice but some Leo 1s might be nice for recon

3. Greatest apc sounds interesting

4. I play DCS with the Viggen regularly, so i go in

bmp

>playing DDR against USA
>turn 2
>USA player gets a flight of 4 A-10s on the table ready for action
>I only have a depleted 2 Shilka AA unit after his turn 1 shooting
>I fire them at the A-10s
>kill them all
>2 points just wiped out 20
>we are both in awe at mine/his rolls for a solid 5 min

Same unit wiped 2 cobras off the field before being Dragoned. Ended up winning the game too.

Tell me /fowg/, what was your most euphoric tabletop moment?

Flying my Four Hinds straight through Birdy's 20 shots of Gepard fire, losing only one.

The tournament game where my Hero IS-2 list (1250 points) managed to grind its way through a Brit airlanding list in a series of bloody assaults.

Lost one of my five IS-2s in turn 2 to a 17 pounder and my Hero Motorstrelk unit over a series of assaults halfway through the game, but ended up wiping out two thirds of his force, winning by company morale while sitting on one of the objectives.

>snipers lose their hide bonus if they move
But... That just raises further questions.

Okay. As far as lists goes you have a couple of options. I would bring a Marder Panzergrenadier Company. You need at least one infantry platoon and you can bring the Leo 2 as another compulsory choice.

You can pair that with either a Leopard 1 Panzer company (from Panzertruppen) or a PanzerAufklärungs company depending on what support you'd like to bring.

As far as what models to buy:
Either one box of Leopard 2's or Kamfgruppe Mueller. I would skip out on the starter box unless you really want some overpriced helicopters. They are pretty nice models. You'll want a box of Marders and a blister of infantry to start out. Then you'll want two boxes of Gepards and a box of Luchs. As for the Leopard 1s, I would consider buying those from QRF (total system scenic) or another third party because I had a hell of a time with the battlefront ones. Really bad quality control. Oh yeah, and if you want to go in on [s]suicidal[/s] awesome bombing runs buy a couple of boxes of Tornados. There are a lot of companies that sell 1/144 scale plastic if you don't want to pay for the resin BF ones, but included ordenance varies. Other than that support is up to you.

Thanks, for this detailed reply

Do you know a source for plastic frogfoot? I know academy used to do them but they seem to be discontinued

I am from burgerland and I ordered my academy Frogfoots from this website.

scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Model_Aircraft/browse.php?s=0&t=0&u=1&pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber&so=a&era=0,8&sc=144

They're a bit fiddly to build, but are much cheaper than the resin BF ones.

UK here so I'm not sure that would be cheaper with US shipping. I used to get them from wonderland but theyre out of stock.

Looking at Red Thunder, how exactly is points costing going to work going forward? The Chieftain is FA 17, AT 22, RoF 2/1, Brutal, basic stabiliser, IR, and in most ways basically equivalent or better to a T-72, and it's 6 points. A T-72 is 5.

How is the T-64 going to work, then? Since it'll be largely the same, FA 17, probably still cross 3+, definitely still skill 5+, definitely still RoF 1 all times. Compared to all the negatives, all it has going for it is the BDD. So, it can't be 6 points too. What is there? 5.5 points?

Pic related

Backstory needed. I require the keks

DDR Shilka shoots down HATO planes, HATO tears and autism follows

What game?

Looks like some flavor of Wargame

Wargame Red Dragon

Magic sometimes happens

Su122 was no different there and was trained with fa 5

>unironically sent their strike aircraft out before their beam-riders

Yeah, but FA 5 and trained means everything explodes it.

Not in mid war though...

Sadly you can't bring them in big numbers in MW.

But then they're conscript, and AT9 was common enough (gods only know how it will look when V4 go east).