I want to take a moment to talk to WHFB players. Why do you play anymore? After the End Times and Age of Sigmar...

I want to take a moment to talk to WHFB players. Why do you play anymore? After the End Times and Age of Sigmar, what made you stay? I think back to the first time I saw some guy pretend to ride a horse just to play the game. I just left and couldn't watch anymore. What made you stay through such degradation? That was the most flagrant humiliation I have ever seen. There are people into BDSM who thought that that was too far. After a company treats you like a pack of mouthbreathing retards and mental defectives, why did you stay and put up with that?

It's the equivalent of being in prison, while Bubba (GW) comes over and smacks the soap out of your hands and says pick it up and you gleefully do it. Why? Is it a fetish for being used like the sugardaddy stuff? Is it having no life?

I don't understand. But after such flagrant and unabashed humiliation and GW showing what they thought of you; what made you go on to still play?

Other urls found in this thread:

lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=85900.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't play though. I sold all of my GW stuff and now I play games by other companies.

TW:W scratches my fantasy itch and is much better than anything GW has done with the property in the last 20 years or so.

I switched to Kings of war with the others at my gaming club and we have never looked back. Had so much fun.

Kings of War is a great system but if I'm going to skink up everything I have to use GW models, secondhand or otherwise. Mantic models are ass.

I was all "surely they can't all look like ass" so I went and checked. You're right, mantic models are ass.

>caring more about pretty toys than the actual game

With the way your op is worded, I don't think there is any way I can explain without you jumping to the conclusion that it's Stockholm or battered wife syndrome.

So get fucked.

Out of curiosity, does anyone play Wrath of Kings? The models are gorgeous and I have a small playgroup (bought every army on the KS and basically gave them away so I would have people to play with).

>basically admits that it is either a humiliation fetish, stockholm syndrome, or battered wife syndrome.

I bet ya can't make anyone think it's anything else because that's exactly what it is and it is the only reasonable explanation after all that.

I don't play AoS, the few guys who are around here that I play got sick of buying new codexs every other year, so they stopped at 5th ed. have a working army and if I need more, I go to ebay, and get old pewter figs, otherwise like I said AoS really has nothing to do with the small group here who plays.

I agree with you. That's why I don't care whether the toys are official or not and play Kings of War for the rules. Using minis from other companies is tournament legal and everything.

Not who you're responding to, but you're basically saying you won't accept any answer to your question besides the one you've already decided on. In which case, why have this thread?

It's more like Confrontation (You know, that other dead fantasy miniatures game) than WHFB, but it is pretty well made. The minis are nice as you said, and the rules are consistently interesting with the table based combat and asymmetrical objectives.

Yeah, I'm kind of disappointed they aren't extending the line further, but I don't really know how they would do so from a story perspective. Everything seems very set in stone.

The gameplay is excellent (though I do miss blast and flamer templates)

I thought they were releasing figures though? Or by line do you just mean story? I haven't followed the fluff so far, but I really liked the stories that they put up during the Kickstarter.

I dropped out of WFB at end of 7th edition, with the advent of deathstars and bullshit magic. Now I'm looking into re-doing my old army in AoS, so good for them.

I didn't because nobody else around here stuck it out and there's no one to play with anymore. One dude literally rebased his entire massive Skaven army once AoS dropped. Like a ridiculous amount of models.

And I lost all motivation because the two armies I played, Ogre Kingdoms and Lizardmen, got much shittier lore in AoS and Ogres in particular got super boring with barely any of their models carrying over. I just couldn't get into it anymore and I loved on to playing Infinity and Guild Ball

So he can feel smug about it. Despite the sticky, Veeky Forums is actually a pretty mean spirited place when it isn't circle jerking itself.

Are these new minis? I just looked on their website a few weeks back and didn't see these...

Wow, they are advancing both models and the storyline. Just put out a new book.

I normally wouldn't do this, but if you're into fantasy, this is a pretty good lineup. And the models are beautiful and well priced.

>thinks it's okay to spend your money on models that look like shit

Basically every grey tide/silver horde player ever.

A lot of their Undead is solid though. A lot of their models are pretty bad, but damn those zombies and skellies are nice.

This.

Also this.

My club still plays 8th
Fantasy was the most commonly played game there, we didn't care for AoS and so...just chose not to change anything

So one army out of what, six now? They wanted to be discount GW and boy did they succeed at the discount part.

And even their full plastic kits are terrible to work with. Every time I give them a shot I am disappointed.

Their restic is the worst shit I've dealt with in my entire life.

GW plastic > resin > metal > mantic plastic >>>>>> hardened dung sculpted into minis >>> mantic restic

>Not just playing fucking chess if that's your attitude

You've not known true despair until you've tried to glue a malifaux plastic kit. The sculpt quality is great, but the kits are cut by people who actually hate the world and everything in it. Why would you make me glue a Chihuahua's leg to it's body when the leg is 1mm long? just sculpt it on ffs.

Yeah I've heard of those legends. PP isn't really any better.

All I'm asking for is a decent competitor to GW's decades of experience in plastics quality, is that so much to ask?

I just switched to Kings of War along with everybody else.

Protip : most third party mini makers do better than GW nowadays.

Compare Avatar of War barbarians (murderous norsemen) with AoS Chaos (proper faggots).

Their lizardmen are fucking nice tho. Shame they didn't expand the range much. Their demons are prettu good too but you gotta love the brimstone and pitchfork look rather than the Moorcock ripoff look.

You don't have to use Mantics minis to play KoW you retarded cockmongler.

I've been playing 6th Edition, KoW and Warmaster for years. Tried 8th, found it shit, went back to 6th, so this whole nonsense never affected me in the first place.

This is the kind of "hobbyist" Geedubya breeds.

I really didn't like them that much. Some of the models for the demons are okay, but overall, they have a very "is pepsi ok" feel to them.

The Khorne Bloodgore Skullperiods Doomcrusher Chosensplitters sure are better.

yes, they are

So much better

I'm not a fan of it, because I don't like Chaos aesthetic, but yes, it is technically a far better executed model.

I play total warhammer now.
based radious makes cool units

HO LEE FUCKING SHEEEEIT

So I only just got into table top gaming. I always liked the look of fantasy and although the storyline is kind of dumb now, I was still considering giving it a go.... Until I saw the "silly" rules.

>"Pride of the Reiksguard: Helborg's
skill is as legendary as his moustache is
magnificent. You can re-roll any failed hit
rolls when attacking with the Runefang
so long as you have a bigger and more
impressive moustache than your opponent."

Please tell me people don't play with this dumb shit.

Old bait. Pretty much all those rules are defunct now

Yeah, who wants to have fun playing a game with tiny plastic toys. I guess it's easier to be a butt-hurt faggot forever than try to enjoy life.

Yeah except they aren't.

>play fyryslyers
>all your mini are gay dwarves in skirt
>have to insult enemy minis to get bonuses

No one plays fyreslayers anyway since they're terrible for entirely different reasons

Maybe if you provided any answed he'd accept it. But you didn't.

Nobody who plays miniatures games cares that much about the rules. If you're a hardcore competitive type you'll play something without a hobby component you need to sink hundreds of dollars and countless hours into.

Hi guys. I, like many people here, never got into Fantasy simply because it was too demanding and I was already preoccupied with 40k. Once they changed it to Age of Sigmar, my reaction, like most, was "fuck that", but as time's gone by, I've realized that they actually made Age of Sigmar for me specifically. You see, I'm someone who, for reasons stated above, I never really got involved in Fantasy and for those reasons never really cared about it. Is that not who Age of Sigmar is designed for? I can tell you, it is effective at what it's trying to do. I don't care about the story. To me, Age of Sigmar may as well have no plot beyond the implications the miniatures carry. I know virtually nothing about what goes on in the storyline of Age of Sigmar, but I still play the game because it's fast, easy, and convenient. That's all I need from a side hobby, which is what Age of Sigmar is at its core. A side-hobby for 40k players who never cared about Fantasy.

It's just a shame that they had to burn Fantasy's entire fanbase to accomplish that.

Fantasy's fanbase dug it's own grave.

Why even play a miniature game then?

Go play chess, or card games

>lets blame the consumers if the product doesn't sell
>surely not the marketing, the price or the quality

if it was the product, then clearly changing the product was the right decision. As for marketing, their non-existent marketing was the same for 40k and WFB, and one of them sold like shit.Same with quality- same between 40k and WFB, and one of them sold and sells great, and other sold like shit. Clearly the product was at fault, so it's a good thing they got rid of the faulty thing.

Just got into warhammer at the tail end of 7th edition. Now 8th is coming out, and everything anyone has said (other than the perpetually salty who are looking for something to hate) is that it will be the best edition yet, with a well balanced system.

So.... why do you care so much about the past OP? Is it because you gave up like a bitch too soon now that 40k is reaching its golden age?

I do not think the current players suffer from stockholm syndrome. I think you are simply that X-girlfriend who is trying to convince others to "stay away" because you are bitter. Smells like fresh backed buttmad.

>tfw you genuinely prefer the top picture to the boring plastic CAD men in the bottom image

What say you Veeky Forums?

I don't, dropped the game by 8th and not going to bother to come back

If I find the time and passion to come back to wargaming, I'm for sure going for KoW or some other GW-unrelated product

40k had a gorillion (popular) videogame franchises supporting it, while being THE go-to futuristic sci-fi setting, that comparison is shit

>40k had a gorillion (popular) videogame franchises supporting it, while being THE go-to futuristic sci-fi setting, that comparison is shit

Oh, so 40k was a more appealing product, and had more licenses because companies wanted to make games in the setting? Thank you for proving my point.

>they litterally go out of their way to say in tourny play you can use other models.
>includes saga and dues vult models in the rulebook for humans.
>pick up maulfaux
>fucking thumbs need to be glued
the fuck?
the terrain rules were a bit weird but yeah, there were some good moments.
magic needed to be kneecapped a bit.
teclus+ lore of life + big unit became bullshit of a new degree
i say you have good taste

What the actual fuck

i don't think you guys give them enough credit.
mark of chaos and age of reckoning and even shadow of the horned rat were very good.
the difference is i suppose that 40 had a wider kid appeal because BIGSHOOTIEGUYZINSPACE.
which is why AoS looks like an ADHD trip.
and you didn't quite have something with as good as DoW which in retrospect brought in a bucketload of new players, myself included.
it could also be a sign of a general shift away from the fantasy genre as a whole

And yet, TW:Warhammer is the highest grossing GW IP product to date.

They claim that cutting it like that lets them have more dynamic poses, but I think it's just lack of experience in cutting sprues, or general lack of care for it. Which they clearly are aware of, since The Other Side is supposed to be pre-constructed.

lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=85900.0

This guy is my spirit animal. Unfortunately my local club is full of talented people but they're all nuGW Horus Heresy £600 army types, I don't think they'd be interested in Oldhammer or a genteel skirmish game like Open Combat or Song of Blades and Heroes.

They are objectively wrong.

>self made squigs
>knight armour on a gob.
>this fucking style
Jesus.
This is glorious

Meanwhile, Total Warhammer is a big hit, while DoW3 pretty much busted

Really makes you think

I don't get that much either.
not the DoW being ass thing, it really tried to appeal to, too many people and failed to do anything.
>forced build order
>cramped maps
>external objectives
depending who you are DoW's formula was solid expanding on that old style and dialing it back would have been smart.

no i mean TW:WH
no idea why that's so popular.
>new empire engine.
>from what i've seen has a bias to large creatures and monsters
>basically suffers from new TW syndrome
to me it's a battle of ASS just one being more ASS than the other

Just a question: Why with such a huge amount of dissapointed fanbase this shit is not dead already? GW should let this die cancel all the line and look forward (to 40k for example)

On which account?

user, could you rephrase that?
In a way that makes sense?

because the disappointed fanbase was miniscule, and they're getting quite a lot of brand new players in now. AoS, despite fervent wishes of the ex-fans is by no means a failure. It took them a year to get it going properly (with GHandbook playing large part in it), but they finally hit their stride.

I can explain it for your little brain:

Fantasy setting (Oldhammer/Sigmar/whatever shit) has no future.

>GW plastic > resin > metal
Nice delusion redshirt

>(popular) videogame franchises supporting it
Such as..?
Except DoW 1.

I don't, AoS is literal shit, the models are nice but the game is trash. I sold off one fantasy army but kept my wood elves since they were my first army.

I don't play AoS, I still play fantasy though. A lot of my friends transitioned over to AoS and called me a grognard for not playing the new game but I have no interest. Military history and units clashing against each other in ranks is what drew me to the game in the first place. I would like to play Kings of war but no one else wants to try.

So I'm sticking with 40k and even that will change.

We have no financials either way though, GW are doing well at the moment but the actual profit from selling plastic army men is being bolstered more than ever by the royalties from licensing, which is a fair enough reward for 30 years of world-building.

It could be the case that for the intensive investment of an entire new franchise, it wasn't worth the effort, or even have cost them revenue compared to maintaining the status quo.

>can't write English coherently
>what was phrased as a question becomes a statement
>i've got the little brain

seriously user I'm reading you post and Die-cancel makes me think of skaven

>Fantasy setting (Oldhammer/Sigmar/whatever shit) has no future.
>while the same dark fantasy with low elements became most awared game of all times

I don't seem to get the point of what you are trying to say here.
>it has no future
and at the time, necromunda, bloodbowl, mordhiem, epic 40k, battlefleet gothic, warzone: Mutant Chronicles, so on and so forth had no future.
but the fans enjoyed it and have kept the candle lit.
Are you asking them to fall upon their own swords and give up something they really enjoy only because it's no longer produced?

Changing the product was very likely the right decision, but they made far too many fundamental mistakes in doing so.

They managed to produce a product with a lower barrier of entry in both price (whilst maintaining even higher prices for individual models) and reading. They freed themselves from the 'just before doomsday' situation they felt constrained by in producing new products, and renamed many races which they appear to have thought was important.

They destroyed decades of lore to do so however, and needed to invest in much better writing from the start of AoS to get off to a good start. Similarly the new rules remove far too much strategic depth, even when made at least playable with the addition of points values. The quality of the models is also highly variable, and a change of aesthetics a lot of people hate.

The only major selling point AoS has over the competitors GW let grow is financial investment and and financial investment, the latter soiled by how poorly they handled the community during the transition and the resultant controversy whenever AoS is mentioned.

*financial investment and brand recognition

WHFB was gay and stale. It housed the worst part of the hobby. All the grognards and neckbeards that scared people off the hobby.

AoS is way better and actually fun. Deal with it.

> I think it's just lack of experience in cutting sprues,
It can only be this.

You can even see it in the progression of mini quality from the first plastics until now - they are still over-reaching on the CAD to sprue transition a lot, but they have fewer needlessly-separate bits (or fucking four-part heads) with no loss of dynamism or detail on neewer kits.

>buying anything new from GW
Yea right. I just buy shit from people like you who just give up and sell armies for dirt cheap and repaint them.

>b-but they ruined the lore
You do know you can still use your models and not use the god aweful abused new lore right? Yiu can just use the setting and add your own flavor and divergent time lines. Fucking hell how are you on Veeky Forums and not able to improvise?
The setting us free. The books are free, even 9th age is free.
Your logic only applies to age of skubmar. Those people need help, or just need better melee rules for 40k.

>WHFB was gay
Strong aruments put forward by the AoS delegation.

Shit son, I still play Inquisitor every now and then.
In 54mm.
The One True Scale.

still to this day the most ironic thing about AoS and WHFB is that after they AoSed it, the best publicity they ever got came from WHFB games, which is what got most people into AoS

>tfw promised myself I'd go to Bring Out Your Lead this year but I haven't painted even a full warband

Oldhammer community is actually brilliant, grognards are a myth.

Both are acceptable. Freeguild > Stormcast > Oversculpted khorne rubbish any day though.

I have to ask: is the age of sigmar world literally just planscapes Sigil? Im not crazy right???
>giant floating ring city
>made by a god for everyone.
>all races are here (mostly) and constantly fight over districts and shit
> no real direction other than "here it is. You can live here"
>hanging out with people who have nothing to do with you is ok (you can pretty much field anythong together right?)
>steam punk style tech dwarf foundries.

This is literally just Sigil from d&d, right? I had a DM who beat that fucking dead horse city so hard I can't not see it in the world map.

Me and my group wandered away from Whfb 8th torwards Warmachine, 3-4 months before the End Times began.
Tried AoS once, was horrible. Never touched it again.
Same thing happend 1-2 months before Warmachine mk3 was announced, we moved on to SAGA. Like we've got a feeling for bad changes.

Since then we've played:
Infinity when want some sci-fi action.
Frostgrave for the fantasy skirmish campagin.
SAGA after watching Vikings or historical documentations... Really nice game though.
Kings of war when you feel the need to command big regiments and rank&flank stuff.
Got my interest in Warmachine back, will try it out again soon.

I don't sell armies, neither do I collect more than 2. There is always a new ruleset you can use your miniatures for. If I get bored with one army/game I switch to another for some months.

Havent bought a GW miniature for 5 years, or any other product except primer & paints from the flgs.

>Strong aruments put forward by the AoS delegation.

Stronger cherrypicking from the Fantasy defense force.

Try wiping the tears from your eyes and reading beyond his first couple words. Truth hurts.

Let's look at it the other way : AoS is more supported than WHFB was in its prime, and still hasn't reached even a fraction of its popularity at that time.

This, but Frostgrave is really a casual game in that regard. AoS ruleset is ass and nu-gw minis are even more ass. Tried before and havter GHB, still shit and without any depth.

what is the top pic?

You aren't very good with jokes. And perverse projecting of prison rape fantasies in unrelated subjects is quite bad too.

As for why stay, I didn't. I quit playing GW games 17 years ago after playing dork elves for a while and meeting the dense end of company greed, but found enough interest to pick it up again only after Age of Sigmar entered its current matched play format.

As for why, the answer is because I am having fun with it. I enjoy the increased flexibility of regiments and lowered model counts, but most of all I enjoy the lighter ruleset, which produces faster games with less preparation.

Screw the babyhead marines though. And GW is as jewish as ever, but fortunately, old models on new bases work just fine.

Gee, I wonder if it's because it's been out for two years as opposed to 30.

see
Lead Adventure is a nice little place

If you don't care about miniatures there's literally no point in miniature wargamig. There are superior board games of all varieties and they don't require model collecting.

I don't really agree.
say crossfire has no actual minis or measuring tapes but it's quite fun to play.
now i agree liking the minis is necessary to a certain extent but there are some game mechanics and styles that are pretty fun to play even if you don't like the minis.

>only just got into table top gaming
>quotes old rules
alright mate