King Arthur Legend of the Sword

Alright.

Just got back from the new King Arthur movie.

Marketing flop, sure, a bit lacking in focus, perhaps, but its a very intriguing mashup of genres.

It's a Nobledark Arthurian wuxia sword and sorcery heist movie.

So:

How would you combine those genres well, for a tabletop game?

I would do a 360 and walk away

Yeah, I probably would too. Especially with a filming cost double that of your average action or superhero movie.

But, for arguments sake; humor me.

>It's a Nobledark Arthurian wuxia sword and sorcery heist movie.

I wouldn't, it's not my strong suit for one, and it's not something I think someone could pull off. And I actually ran a game where the players where knights of Arthur. Only I ran it as a dire 'come the apocalypse' game where evil men came in from the seas and set themselves on a path of murder, rape, and genocide that the players had to battle against desperately. So it was historical.

Yeah, that's a bit more grounded, for sure

I refuse to watch due them putting a nigger as a knight to calm down social justice warriors.

He was clearly not from england, and was a foreigner. Same with the Chinese Kung Fu master, who is called out as being chinese in the movie.

Do you also have a problem with Palomides from Arthurian tales (a moor (somehow in 5-6th century)) or Angelica from Orlando (a cathayan princess)?

I can totally buy a black guy in the setting, Feirefiz was a thing 900 years ago and if it's good enough for Wolfram von Eschenbach, it's good enough for me. But a chinese guy seems to stretch things maybe a little too far...

Moors weren't niggers.

OF COURSE NOT, he didn't know they existed.

Sure, they were some mixture of arabs, berbers and iberians but still not exactly germanic stock

See I refuse to watch it because it's yet another total bastardisation of the story and themes of Arthurian lit, as opposed to something which is already in Arthurian lit in the first place (there are multiple Moorish knights who serve Arthur). Nobody ever attempts to adapt Arthur faithfully and everything that does adapt it is based more on a vague idea of it than any actual text.

Yes, a cosmopolitan imperial force simply could not have ANY Africans in it, at all, no way.

>Nobody ever attempts to adapt Arthur faithfully and everything that does adapt it is based more on a vague idea of it than any actual text.
Omitting the fact that myths alread have multiple variations within them, nobody's going to adapt a text about how a rape baby and his army of psychotic welshmen murder each other because they're extremely short tempered.
I exaggerate, obviously, but still

You do exaggerate and I can't think of any Arthurian story where that'd be your main takeaway without you being intentionally facetious. God fucking forbid somebody actually try to interact with the text and produce something interesting, right?

Shit the whole reason TH White's take is so good is he's genuinely trying to bridge the gap between the historically written tales of these characters and the characters as he's writing them in a modern/YA novel, which ends up giving you the most believable Orkney set and maybe the best Lancelot anyone ever wrote, even in that sort of book. Nobody even tries to make TH White Arthur interesting in an adaptation and it's literally as accessible as it can be.

I was being facetious somewhat but I also must admit I've never read TH Wite's take on the story. I was going mostly by Mallory and I found his knights to be fairly unpleasant people

Did you like the movie?

They are. TH White rewrote Arthur primarily influenced by Mallory as a set of fantasy books in the 50s. It's super accessible: it's an Arthur you could read to your kid and they get something out of and which you as an adult take things away from too. It doesn't try to hide the unpleasantness of many of the characters but it does try to think of, having done these things, what would they be like as actual human beings? And it does a decent job at making that interesting.

The only good Arthur story is Bernard Cornwell's. Winter King remains one of the best books I've ever read, and it's a damn shame that so few of his works have been translated to television or film. And it's even more of a shame that the Last Kingdom now has to deal with getting compared to fucking Games of Thrones.

>I would do a 360 and walk away

So you would do a twirl and walk forward?

The title sequence of that is insanely derivative of GoT, the show is asking people to make that comparison.

>being this new

>nobody's going to adapt a text about how a rape baby and his army of psychotic welshmen murder each other because they're extremely short tempered
Kinda wish someone would now.

Newfag

It should, of course, be compared to Vikings instead.

The Battle of Badon Hill was 1500 years ago.

GoT's title sequence is moving items rising into structural locations in the setting, at various points around the map. Last Kingdom's is a map of britain that burns to mark the areas that fell to the Vikings, interspersed with scenes of people in line-drawing style. Aside from 'it has a map' the title sequences are not alike.

I enjoyed it, but I also enjoy heists, wuxia, and s&s. However, they tried to do too many things, and the film was a little complicated and spastic as a result

He'll walk away backwards.

Annie are you okay?

There is a nigger in it. Obviously for sjw blm commie matters. Like nearly every movie today.

Still just salty my least favorite Cornwell trilogy is the one that got adapted. The Grail Quest or the Arthurian Saga would've been so fucking rad.

You're very original in your complaints

Explain to me why I should give a fuck if Papa midnight is a knight in the movie.

Because having seen it, he did a good job acting, and it's not even vaguely historical, and I see no reason to care that he's not white.

I also enjoyed the Chinese Kung Fu master.

Eat a dick. Nobody gives a fuck if there's a black guy in the fantasy movie but you.

It's not like it's set in historic England anyways. It's filled with mages and fantasy bullshit, why should I care about the black guy?

I feel like we've gotten off topic.

How would you combine as many as feasible of these themes/genres in tabletop?

Judge Dee Goes West

Fuck off nigger lover.

Are you okay?

Is it so much to ask that I want a historical Late Roman/Romano-British tale of Arthur?

So sick of knights, I want equites and historical equipment.

The best King Arthur was the Merlin miniseries with Sam Neil.

That show was great

The Crystal Cave.

Had a baller soundtrack and was fun to watch, tho.

you mean like the one with clive owen? it was fairly satisfying.

>2nd century legionnaires
>not 4th century comitatenses

Fight me irl nigga

>It's 15 genres in 1

nah m8, it's just really bad at being coherent. Veeky Forums generally has shit taste and will latch onto things that it finds even remotely appealing and force them into being something they can justify.

Best adaptation coming through.

Are you okay Annie?

Honestly, I'm not sure how I'd get a heist there but Arthurian wuxia sounds fairly appealing to me.
"Wulin all over the world, very different in every place" was always a game I wanted to run

They did one a decade or so ago and it sucked shit

People think of mythic Knights and adventure when they think of Arthurian legend. Still instead of a new Excaliber for the modern age we keep getting shit like First Knight and they wonder why it flops every god damn time

i said satisfying, not good.

>nobody's going to adapt a text about how a rape baby and his army of psychotic welshmen murder each other because they're extremely short tempered.
>read this as "nobody's going to adapt a text about how a rape baby and his army of psychic welshmen murder each other because they're extremely short tempered."
Adapt

*tips baguette*
yes

So regular lawfull murderhobos who don't want no trabble?

It's a Guy Ritchie film with magic and swords. So yeah, they do want trabble

Arthurian literature is inconsistent as fuck. Everyone just writes whatever they want, so why shouldn't movie screenwriters do it too?

>everyone just writes whatever they want
Untrue.