OOTS - Are You Fucking Kidding Me Edition

It takes a month to produce ....this update. What.

He updates slow. Nothing new. He has an excuse, etc etc.

I haven't read in a few years so I'm looking forward to a nice binge when I do. Left off around Tarquin times.

That's his M.O. for close to 10 years now.

Don't bother coming back. It's shit, now more SJW.

What's so SJW about it, outside of a single SJW haircut and one use of the term "salty"?

One of the pirates is a lesbian.

Not like that's a thing for female pirates at all

And it's a new thing too, not like any of the main characters have been mentioned as having an interest in the opposite sex or anything

And of course she's the only female member in the crew, too.

>webcomic has thousands of characters
>one of them is a lesbian
>this makes it SJW

You must be fun at parties.

I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic, user.

>It takes a month to produce ....this update. What.
He just released an 80+ page comic to the kickstarter backers like four days ago.

Rich prioritizes the people who pay him money. Welcome to capitalism.

>You must be fun at parties.
I think that was sarcasm, user.

>He just released an 80+ page comic to the kickstarter backers like four days ago.

When do the rest of us get to read it?

Still waiting for a download of Snips, Snails, & Dragon Tails as well.

>When do the rest of us get to read it?
Rich mentioned he was hoping to have a set of the backer comic pdfs available for sail by this winter, including SS&DTs and the just finished Sapphire Guard one.

Sure thing, all mothers make sure to include different sexes when talking about a future partner.

Not "someone".

Also, didn't you know gendered insults is harmful to wimyn?

My dude, you are going on a wild fucking goose chase.

He's just writing with his audience in mind. I mean, have you seen his forums?

CAN WE END THE WAGE GAP?! IT"S CURRENT YEAR!

Dude, no one but tumblr talks like that. Come on'

I know. I'm just clarifying why I said the comic had gone the way of the SJW.

Actually I kind of like that bit. Normally woman warriors are just a thing, these days - it's nice that the comic would sort of acknowledge how unusual it should be and how they might be considered inferior in battle.

Surely not ALL the way, though. As far as I can tell there's really just the occasional bit here and there, and once you start actively looking for those, you can find them just about anywhere, even in older fiction.

Might as well let it be and not give a shit. If the comic is good, it's good - and if it's not, surely you have better reasons for it being shit.

>he doesn't have the O-Chul comic

In a world with magic, it would make sense. It's just blatant virtue signaling that takes me out of the story.

I mean, fuck, why would she be dropping exposition mid fight to someone who doesn't give a fuck? It's not even relevant to the story.

The comic has not been good for years. Glacial pacing, the insertion of the blandest "Strong Female Protagonist" I've seen in a while in the form of Bandana, stupid sidetracking of the plot despite the abysmal update rate....

Then why are you here? Go find something you enjoy and do that.

It is the nature of Veeky Forums to hate, and revel in their hatred.

That would be a valid question if I were on the Giantitp forums. But this post is on the Veeky Forums catalog.

Can't I express my opinion on a subject unless it's praise?

If you can't attend the things you love, attending the things you love to hate is easily the next best thing.

>Can't I express my opinion on a subject unless it's praise?

There's honestly not much point in doing so.

What would you wish to accomplish with it? Do you seek to sway someone from liking the comic? And if so, why do you care if someone likes it?

That being said, meaningless praise would make for a dumb post as well. Much better to tell us what you liked of the update and what you didn't, speculate to the future, and otherwise comment in a more nuanced manner.

I was literally asked about it.

Also, I'd recommend you'd lurk more, get more acquainted with Veeky Forums culture before you start posting.

>There's honestly not much point in doing so.
I can think of a few reasons.
A former fan that wants to discuss how the comic could improve, or affirm that they're not just being weird in not liking it.
Maybe they want to reminisce about times when it wasn't at the state it's in now.
Or use it as a springboard into a tangential topic that they don't feel deserves a new thread.
Or just revel in the fact that they can have a debate in an area where a dissenting opinion or heated comment won't get them instantly banned and/or swarmed by people defending their cyber good boy points.

>gone the way of the SJW

Aside from that 4-page bit with the Ettin in the O-Chul comic about internet trolls (which I got a chuckle out of even if I thought it was heavy-handed), he doesn't shoehorn shit in or call attention to it. He just puts it in there naturally. He's more akin to an actual progressive than an SJW. Everything he does actually makes sense if you pause for a moment and consider the world the comic takes place in.

>implying frost giants of all people wouldn't have a culture like that

I posted the other examples.

That's not at all what I am implying.

"Lean in, sister" is unironically used. And why the fuck is she sharing that with an enemy? It's virtue signaling, pure and simple.

I agree that he's usually a hell of a lot better than most at weaving it into the narrative, but that Frost Giant one is ridiculously heavy handed.

>why's she sharing that with the enemy

Because this is OOTS, and people say stupid shit at each other in combat in every single one. They do it so often that literally the only time a fight's done in silence is when Hinjo dueled Miko, and even then they didn't start out silent.

Before, it was insults or puns. It's not the same.

I feel like the "Lean in, sister" bit was just a lampshade-hanging joke rather than any sort of virtue signaling.

I am not Thog

I don't even mind that bit, it's the fact that the frost giant brings it up out of nowhere with incredibly clunky dialogue that's the bad part.

Anyone else really enjoy the O-Chul .pdf? I waited 6 years for it, and I think it delivered 100%. O-Chul is the shining example of everything a paladin should be.

>mfw Miko
>mfw the duel
>mfw he was not the sergeant

Where can I get it?

>Can't turn last bubble into RNG

but wanting to shout "Lean in, sister" was the joke. They have little lines like that in the midst of combat all the time with the very basis of the joke being that it's an inappropriate time to say it. in this case the joke is that Haley supports the sentiment the frost giant is exposing and would typically demonstrate a measured amount of support while explaining that she still has to stop (kill) her for her own reasons, however Haley is not there and is instead receiving the urge to express this support without the context to restrain herself to some extent.

Do you get it now you incredible autist? Have I dissected the joke enough for you?

I could if you share it

>This shit takes a month
>Meanwhile the author of kill six billion demons can shit out 3 page a week or so usually

why the fuck have I been reading this comic for over 10 years? Since the party got their asses whipped by Miko in the rain. Fuck.

He DID just finally shit out of the O-Chul story, and that was like 95 pages.

Great, is he gonna get back to an update schedule of at least one update a week? Every 7 days at the least?

Don't know, but he said that for the rest of the summer updating the main comic is his primary goal and that he's not going to do any more kickstarter stuff beyond crayon drawings for the time being.

Great, so that's probably a 'no' then, because this fucker has the artistic pace of a slug. I guess I can read up on the comic next year and catch up on the 4 strips I missed between now and then.

I really hate Order of the Stick. The self-referential "jokes", the slow updates, the terrible, overly-wordy combat sequences, the constant breaking-of-the-forth-wall for the sake of "lulz," when in reality it just destroys the immersion that already isn't there. The characters have gone from likeable to almost complete cunts, this entire godmoot shit is like the nuke in Indiana Jones, it's going to make whatever climax with Xykon eventually squirts out of Rich Burlew's cock look like a BB rattling around in a gnat's asshole compared to this "Roy v.s. his best friend for literally the fate of the literal world. Literally." And the worst part is, it's slow as fuck. The problem isn't even the amount of update. Once a week is fine for a well-written full-page RPG comic. It's not like XKCD cancer where all Munroe has to do is sketch a few stickmen while he's taking a shit. That's fine. But it's the whole "9000 word dialogue while FUCKING FIGHTING WITH SWORDS." I would bet my ass Rich Burlew has never been in a fight in his goddamn life. There isn't enough fucking breath for talking. It's just shoved in there because he wants "le comical showdown" that ends up being flat and unfunny 99% of the time.

This comic hasn't been funny or enjoyable in years. Is there a reason people are still reading it?

Nothing of value was lost: The Edit

>Is there a reason people are still reading it?

The occasional pretty cool scene, but mostly just a force of habit.

I'm just here because i've been reading this comic for way too long. Back when it had a good pace and punch to the humor.

Share therkla pdf's too if you have it. That didn't leak either.

>When that entire vampire extra Necrological personality thing is actually a fucking thing in 3.5

The more you know!

quality pasta, son, you did me a proud

Who /eagerlyawaitingBelkar'salignmentshift/ here?

You are retarded.

And you're easily triggered by any joke that's not perfectly in line with your politics. You'll probably blow a gasket when you see the Ettin scene.

One of the few things I'm honestly looking forward to in the story.

>force of habit

You're retarded. Don't read something shitty just cause you read it for the past 5 years.

It's like two minutes off my day every week. Might as well.

every month you mean

>Who would've predicted that acting completely at random could ever turn out bad?

Okay, I actually laughed. I shouldn't have, but I did.

It's been set up really really well. I gotta give props to Rich for being able to not only make me give a shit about an unabashed CE murderhobo, but to make me invested in watching him grow and change.

I'm easily amused.

>how
>bad

tee hee

> It's shit, now more SJW.

I know what SJW and how they behave and how they can ruin things and this comic is no more SJW than in past and you are one full of shit.

Anyone else really starting to hate that bitch of an engineer?

I'm mainly baffled by someone who would piss off 5 people who are more than capable of killing everyone on board with the slightest effort, one of whom would clearly do it for fun.

I hated her from the start, but it looks like she's coming around and with any luck might actually realize she's been a bitch.

B-B-But she's just a misunderstood qt...

I've read this comic since I was 13 and now, over ten years later I still get a good chuckle out of it. I like Rich although I'm still a bit mad he isn't working faster. When I get my kid I'd like to have the completed series in my bookshelf for him to read.
or her

What year did you start reading OotS?
For me, it's 2006. Somewhere near when Roy starts to date Celia the fairy.

For me a little while after that - Roy had just recently heard he'd been dead for months, I believe.

Can't imagine it's been so long. This story really moves at a snail's pace.

He certainly hasn't improved at drawing.

I was rooting for Andi's mutiny before -Bandana was being a fucking cunt, not because of her sexuality but because of how she bossed around the crew when she was just interim learning the ropes-, now not so much.
Can't remember, when was it that Richie did the guest comics for 8-bit theater?

>He updates slow. Nothing new. He has an excuse, etc etc.

he just released a 95 page Ochul story thru the kickstarter.

I also rooted for her earlier, when she had good intentions and legitimate complaints, before Rich realized he made her too sympathetic and just turned her into dumb crazy bitch.

I don't know - right now I get the feeling that she's just really stressed out, especially in the latest comic where she's almost certainly lying to herself. Whether her bitchiness is legitimately bad writing or just a part of her character arc will be known in the aftermath.

>dumb crazy bitch
She was always like this. It's just that when shit started getting worse and worse her cool slipped more and more away as she got further out of her element. Even her open contempt for Bandana was on display earlier; her refusing to recognize her command because she still saw herself as Bandana's elder and better didn't get pulled out of thin air. She was saying shit about how Bandana "wasn't REALLY Captain now, she's just watching the ship for the *real* captain until he gets back" dozens of pages before the mutiny happened.

I'm also predisposed to disliking engineers thinking that since they know shit about engines it means they know shit about command.

>"wasn't REALLY Captain now, she's just watching the ship for the *real* captain until he gets back"

This is true though. Maybe is Bandanna wasn't such a shit she'd command respect.

The fuck it is. Command doesn't work like that. If the previous captain leaves the ship and names someone else captain, that person is the new captain until they name someone else or the old captain returns to reclaim his position. Even if you just see it as her standing a watch until he gets back, she still has the full weight of his authority vested in her to act in his stead.

I saw your examples. I think you're being oversensitive.

If nobody respects the new captain it just won't happen though. Whether they ought to or not.

Especially when we're talking about a crew that seems to be predominantly from the chaotic alignment angle.

It seemed like the only one who had any real problems with her was Andi; everyone else got brought into line when Roy agreed to pay them 200 gp apiece.

When the comic introduced sexism in a world that generally avoided any mention of sexism or racism in order for a strung indipendant woman to mention how she's oppressed by it was my last straw.

And this was the comic that got me into D&D 3e.

>When the comic introduced sexism in a world that generally avoided any mention of sexism or racism in order for a strung indipendant woman to mention how she's oppressed by it was my last straw.

It was a fucking frost giant. Literally everyone else has been portrayed as egalitarian. Do you not think frost giants might have a sexist society?

it really is a nice one. One thing in particular that struck me was O-Chul going all pragmatic diplomacy, and explaining why.

>Literally everyone else has been portrayed as egalitarian
Yes. That's his point, retard.

But they weren't frost giants. Retard.

I was referring more to his medical issues that slows down his pace, but yes, he has also been working on that.

In a world where even literally goblins are egalitarian, it's a stretch to imagine that women are "so oppressed" in this reality. You inbred knuckledragging backbirth neanderthal.

>Bandana
>"Strong female protagonist"

You mean the wannabe pirate captain who couldn't keep her crew in line? I mean, there's probably going to be a point where the crew will be all "ooooh we should've just listened to you", but this being OOTS she's gonna be like "maybe, but I also made mistakes including but not limited to blah blah blah".

What I'm saying is Bandana's supposed to be ambitious, but also still learning.

Goblins have a very clear imperial-based civilization, unlike the tribal barbarian frost giants.. The only one saying "OMG OPPRESSION" is *you*. The comic itself just has the character griping about how she had to pretend her fellow warrior was better than she was. You easily triggered manchild fucknugget

Another important thing to consider is that if Bandana is a "strong female protagonist" who's supposed to be clearly in the right, the impudent crewmember who is mutinying against her for all the wrong reasons...is also a woman.

>goblins have a very clear imperial-based civilisation
Except that's completely wrong you slavering nitwit. They are just as much stickpicking tribal barbarian louts as you imagine these giants to be.

The one redeeming part of your post might be you having a childish GOTCHA moment and saying that the one crying oppression was "me" if it was actually me, but it's not you bumbling illiterate cretin.