Talislanta is getting something of a reboot with The Savage Land on kickstarter (closed already, so I'm not shilling)

Talislanta is getting something of a reboot with The Savage Land on kickstarter (closed already, so I'm not shilling).

Any old Tal players here?

Art looks pretty sweet and the game system will be offered in Old Tal, Savage Worlds, Pathfinder and d6 OGL versions, so there should be something for everyone.

As an old-time Tal player I'm friggin' hype.

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/1861515217/talislanta-the-savage-land/description
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Link in case anyone wants to see what it's going to look like.

kickstarter.com/projects/1861515217/talislanta-the-savage-land/description

Maze-City of Altan?

Getting some funky dice too.

Satada

New Satada got himself some horns.

Probably a progenitor.

>Talislanta
Never heard of it

what is this? Dark sun but with trees?

It is fantasy post-apocalypse alright. A bit more in a Princess of Mars, Flash Gordon or Heavy Metal way, but you picked up on it well. Sapients are splintered into 87 playable races.

>87
holy shit

If i recall correctly, all old editions pdf's are available for free right now.
Yep, there is high quantity of those, from Kasmirian trap mages and Xambrien witch hunters to Marukan dung merchants and Rahastran cartomancers.

Also, the 4th ed features quite a cool magic system with orders and spell modes.

First 30 are the base selection, rest is in the GMs book.

I think D&D would have a similar amount if you opened up all intelligent races to players. Haven't counted though.

So... nobody wants to discuss Talislanta?
That's sad

I'm considering starting a game, but sadly at the moment I don't have time and peace of mind to start GMing right away.

Yeah, me neither, and it's also hard convincing regular D&D players to forgo Forgotten Realms or whatever to play in Talislanta. Seems too weird for most people.

>Kang

Most of what ive heard about it was that it was overrated and convoluted for the purpose of beeing convoluted, i like some of the art but ultimatley it looks like its primarily made to be different on purpose, not different for a specific purpose.

>ultimatley it looks like its primarily made to be different on purpose, not different for a specific purpose.
Since when is slightly shifting subgenre an inspiration sources illegitimate? No franchise has the claim to what fantasy is supposed to be.

>for the purpose of beeing convoluted

Not at all. Talislanta is inspired by great fantasy works such as Jack Vances Planet of Adventure, The Dying Earth, Pellucidar, The Night Land, A Voyage to Arcturus and a few others, rather than Tolkien or Fritz Lieber.

It's the sources of inspiration that make it different, not because the author wanted something weird for its own sake.

It brings these disparate sources together into a very coherent, exotic fantasy world.

Why buy into a kickstarter if you can get it all for free?

Perhaps people wanted the printed books.

Your filename has taken things too far......

Oh noes!

kek
Stop! Talislanta is too good for shit memes!!

Shouldn't the right image be an imrian?

I put those two together in another Talislanta thread, because of lewd interlockable chins.

Oh my god, chin-lock lewdness. I'll never unsee that...

Interracial chinlocking is clearly a top tier fetish!

First time I've ever seen Tal humour online, kek. Good job.

The kickstarter is offering a new product, The Savage Land, a sort of prequel to the original Talislanta game.

A little memeing can't hurt for winning the hearts and minds of Veeky Forums.

The artwork looks pretty cool OP. I'm new to TTRPGs, give me the rundown on Talislanta

Uses d20 as only die, simple roll with modifiers on the universal action table, degrees of success.
Magic users are assumed to know hundreds of spells in fluff, crunch wise you build custom spells that basically consist of modes that are like skills for the magic action you want to do.
Character creation is done by archetypes with are fully packaged chars that can be modified by some points in 4e or via lifepaths in 5e, which are multiple smaller packages of chooseable skills bundled by profession.
Skill list is fairly granular because it contains skills that are situational but flavorfull like slaver or sideshow talents (circus tricks).
Archetypes and races are not all balanced, they are as powerful as they are meant to be in lore.
As said, many many races.

Interesting. What can you tell me about races and lore?

The huge selection of races gives a good basis for eyeballing things attributes are direct roll modifiers which makes things fairly self evident.

I find that system as well as setting are fairly conductive to adding a few races of your own and it won't look out of place.

The game is a bit too old for modern rules light trends but it has a certain plug and play attitude hidden between the lines that is perhaps ahead of its time.

Lore very abridged
>A few forms Beastmen and cavemen roam Talislanta, distinctions lost to time
>extraplanar vessel crashes on the continent, is found by natives and enables them with time to harness magic
>Archeans emerge as a people because of this and build an empire
>the marginalize other tribes and beastmen in their region
>they diversify into many highly magical states with floating wonderous cities
>Apocalyptic war between wizards eventually happens
>additionally soldier races are created during the wars
>civilization is brought down by war, center of continent becomes desert, mutated jungles appear
>present day, post apocalyptic times, city states have formed once again, mages try to reclaim lost glory, ruins and wilderness beyond.

There is also magical winds that can change people and other shenanigans.

You can think of races like a mutant filled cantina in an 80s cult comic or movie and you have pretty much the right idea. Sometimes a bit cliche, sometimes badly aged, but always unapologetic. It is a big cool action figure toybox to have fun with.

The great cataclysm happened, barbarian tribes is everywhere with a few pockets of civilsation. What this user saidToo many races with cool fluff to list them all.
I can tell you a little about the default good guys of the setting tho, the Seven Kingdoms.

>Muses, artificial race of fairy people. Telempaths, can comunicate with thoughts and images, influence the emotions of other people. Lazy, but produce the pieces of art when finally bothered.
>Cymrillian, the green skinned elf wizard guys. Pic related. One of the most advanced countries in the setting, ruled by wizards.
>Gnomekins, subterranean small guys. Huge families and practise of the Crystalomancy.
>Kasmirans, shriveled-looking guys. Your local jews of the setting. Trap mages.
>Sindarans - this guy on the right. Dual-encephalons, meaning that they work on two brains. Aliens who crashed on Talislanta long time ago.
>Thralls - warrior guys, pic related. another articial race, everyone is a clone. They use body painting to differentiate between themselves.
>Blue and green Aeriad. Bird guys who devolved and lost the ability to fly. Blue are hunters and warriors, green practice horticulure and botanomancy.

You can fantasy mad max mongol around the vast planes, hunting land dragons for food with band of magically bred neomorph Araq raiders.

I hope i didn't hurt your eyes with my ESL.
Here, your thrall waifu.

You can steal a set of Trivarian from some rich Sindaran neckbeard, because those things are more expensive than GW and will feed your streetrat ass for years.

Yeah im with you, im 35 and this might have been popular on the east coast or something cause ive never even heard it refrenced before

You can try to catch a Sardonicus in a amber jar. Imps that will answer 3 questions a day and are sought after by wizards as advisors.

I heard that they're not so popular anymore, because they tend to be smarter than those very wizards, no?

You can be a Kang and have yourself a jolly revolution, storming the palaces of the Quan empire, whose fat asses your warrior race put on the throne in the first place. Now you are dragging them down.

If they lack the proper caution, they deserve to be tricked by their Imp.